Overperforming / Underperforming

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Overperforming / Underperforming

I will re-brand the categories for my post if you don't mind:

Pleasant surprises:
    - Seguin's growth and development, leading the team points
    - Kelly's offensive output

Could stand to pick it up:
    - Krejci has been a little too hot and cold for my liking, was hoping he would take off after last year's stellar playoff
    - Horton doesn't look like the same player to me, just not as impactful shift-to-shift as he was last year

As others have mentioned, hard to quibble with what these guys are doing night in and night out.  The depth and balance of the roster is what continues to make them so successful and difficult to play against.

Go B's!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lostinbaltimore. Show lostinbaltimore's posts

The Whole Montreal Canadian Team is underperforming

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Overperforming / Underperforming:
    [QUOTE]I will re-brand the categories for my post if you don't mind: Pleasant surprises: - Seguin's growth and development, leading the team points - Kelly's offensive output Could stand to pick it up: - Krejci has been a little too hot and cold for my liking, was hoping he would take off after last year's stellar playoff - Horton doesn't look like the same player to me, just not as impactful shift-to-shift as he was last year As others have mentioned, hard to quibble with what these guys are doing night in and night out.  The depth and balance of the roster is what continues to make them so successful and difficult to play against. Go B's!  
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    If everything needs to be PERFECT yes DK & Horts need to pick it up.

The most important sentence in the whole thread! This is how a team like the B's who lack in Superstars need to play in order to be successful. They're doing this better than expected. Therefore it's an overperforming team. So, there's 2 players who aren't playing brutal, but not quite up to snuff that gets talked about more than the players who have stepped up. What is this team supposed to be the Tennessee Titan's?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]The Whole Montreal Canadian Team is underperforming
    Posted by lostinbaltimore[/QUOTE]

I disagree, they are a subpar team who overperformed the last few season due to good Coaching.  All their good coaches are now gone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lostinbaltimore. Show lostinbaltimore's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overperforming / Underperforming : I disagree, they are a subpar team who overperformed the last few season due to good Coaching.  All their good coaches are now gone.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

Their lineup isn't that bad. Good goalie, moble D and forwards who fly and  dive with the best of them. IMO 13-16-3 is underpreforming

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

No offense but this is a dumb post. nobody and i mean nobody on this team is underperforming right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I completely agree. Montreal got rid of the one reason they were competitive. Talent-wise, their team is weak outside of a handful of good players.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overperforming / Underperforming : I disagree, they are a subpar team who overperformed the last few season due to good Coaching.  All their good coaches are now gone.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Regarding +/-, I'd point out that the guy they gave that Norris Thingy to last year was minus on the season and I'm pretty sure his team was, uh, very plus.
    I hear he's real good, too.

Its fair to say Horton has been a bit under what we would like, but is easily explained by his injury. David K a bit, I suppose.  I expect him to light it up when some of the super-hot guys cool off.

I dont see anyone else out there that is significantly under what I expect.  Even Corvo, who gets the yips a bit with the puck is a pleasure to watch offensively, especially in the shadow of a departed Kaberle.

I really like this team.  they are better than last year.  I wouldnt change a thing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

If Chara keeps up his ridiculous two-way game, you can pencil him in for the Norris; dude will probably be right around the tops of the league in points for defensemen, and nobody plays a better lockdown game in this league than Chara.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

The main thing is that the team is playing as well as a team can possibly play.

They don't need everyone playing up to their maximum to win. They find a way to win. What more can you ask for? Most players are happy because they get a chance to contribute. Good situation.

If a team needs everyone playing up to their potential to win, then you are in trouble. Then you get into players finger-pointing and blaming each other. Bad situation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overperforming / Underperforming : I thought it was clear.  Sorry. I'll try again. +/- is an incredibly stupid stat which tells nothing about a player.  If you are using that stat as the basis for your argument, you have no argument at all and should refrain from posting about it. Does that help?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  +/- is a stupid stat when used in stupid ways; in particular, it should never be looked at to compare players from different teams.  +/- as a stat between players that are on the same team is actually a VERY relevant statistic.  You win goals by scoring more goals than the other team, not by just scoring goals, and also not by just preventing the other team from scoring.  So when looked at relative to other players on the same team, the relative plus/minus stats indicate an overall value to the team.  

Fine, Lucic is one of our top goal scorers, but he (and his line) are also on the ice for more goals than anybody else.  If you score a goal, and then the other team scores one on you -- the effects cancel out and is of no net benefit to the team.  It is no coincedence that the entire Bergeron line are team leaders in +/-.  Not only do they create offense, but they also don't get scored on very often.

About the only thing that the relative plus/minus statistic does not cover is whether the player/line is coming up with key goals vs. scoring goals 5-8 in an 8-0 blowout -- but in most cases that type of thing balances out.

Again on the high horse, making blanket statements acting as if others are stupid when your own arguement is extremely flawed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Regarding +/-, I'd point out that the guy they gave that Norris Thingy to last year was minus on the season and I'm pretty sure his team was, uh, very plus. I hear he's real good, too. Its fair to say Horton has been a bit under what we would like, but is easily explained by his injury. David K a bit, I suppose.  I expect him to light it up when some of the super-hot guys cool off. I dont see anyone else out there that is significantly under what I expect.  Even Corvo, who gets the yips a bit with the puck is a pleasure to watch offensively, especially in the shadow of a departed Kaberle. I really like this team.  they are better than last year.  I wouldnt change a thing.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]
    SEE this is a great way to post this thread. You mention Horts without bashing the guy & then you say a little a 3 word blurb about DK. You don't use up the whole post to bash the 2 when the team is where it is. Then you talk about Corvo & talk about his overperfermance. That's the way the post should be going. Then you grandslam the whole +/- ordeal using argueably one of the top 3-dmen of all time finishing as a Norris Trophy winner last yr. Nice Work!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overperforming / Underperforming : I disagree.  +/- is a stupid stat when used in stupid ways; in particular, it should never be looked at to compare players from different teams.  +/- as a stat between players that are on the same team is actually a VERY relevant statistic.  You win goals by scoring more goals than the other team, not by just scoring goals, and also not by just preventing the other team from scoring.  So when looked at relative to other players on the same team, the relative plus/minus stats indicate an overall value to the team.   Fine, Lucic is one of our top goal scorers, but he (and his line) are also on the ice for more goals than anybody else.  If you score a goal, and then the other team scores one on you -- the effects cancel out and is of no net benefit to the team.  It is no coincedence that the entire Bergeron line are team leaders in +/-.  Not only do they create offense, but they also don't get scored on very often. About the only thing that the relative plus/minus statistic does not cover is whether the player/line is coming up with key goals vs. scoring goals 5-8 in an 8-0 blowout -- but in most cases that type of thing balances out. Again on the high horse, making blanket statements acting as if others are stupid when your own arguement is extremely flawed.
    Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]
    Why you mentioning Lucic? He's a +5! Paille & Thorts are worse. I think if you're going to use stats to benefit your argument you should be correct.
    Also, if you don't see the intangibles that the KHL line brings to this team then you show your knowledge isn't much!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Good +/- battle going on.....however overperforming IMO are Pouliot, Kelly, and Hamill; as beaten to death here, no one is underperforming!!

Enjoy the ride everyone, we havent witnessed a more balance & explosive team in this town for decades....just sitting back admiring how hockey should be played, and for once in my life time it's in our backyard!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overperforming / Underperforming : Why you mentioning Lucic? He's a +5! Paille & Thorts are worse. I think if you're going to use stats to benefit your argument you should be correct. Also, if you don't see the intangibles that the KHL line brings to this team then you show your knowledge isn't much!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

My post had zero to do with the KHL line and everything to do with the relevance of the +/- statistic.  So hold your horses on your last line about what my knowledge is because the "knowledge" that you introduce has nothing to do with what I was posting.  Lucic was used as an example of a guy who has put up good offensive numbers but has a relatively low plus/minus, Thornton and Paille do not fit that criteria and thus were not used.  To add to that, I never quoted Lucic's plus minus, so I don't know what wrong information you would be referring to.  And I never inferred that there are other "intangibles" that go into a players value (I'm a big Thorton fan).

I'm sure it is no coincedence that you are posting in response to my response to somebody who was trying to make somebody look stupid when their own reasoning was flawed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overperforming / Underperforming : My post had zero to do with the KHL line and everything to do with the relevance of the +/- statistic.  So hold your horses on your last line about what my knowledge is because the "knowledge" that you introduce has nothing to do with what I was posting.  Lucic was used as an example of a guy who has put up good offensive numbers but has a relatively low plus/minus, Thornton and Paille do not fit that criteria and thus were not used.  To add to that, I never quoted Lucic's plus minus, so I don't know what wrong information you would be referring to.  And I never inferred that there are other "intangibles" that go into a players value (I'm a big Thorton fan). I'm sure it is no coincedence that you are posting in response to my response to somebody who was trying to make somebody look stupid when their own reasoning was flawed

Before the crucifixion....meant to say "are not" -- thus being a Thorton fan

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

OK, since SO MANY whiners are all over the KHL line & how terrible their performances have been thus far? Let me try to shed some light on the issue as to WHY this maybe happening. Was DK not the the top play-off goal scorer last yr? Was Horton not one, if not the guy who scored the biggest goals of the play-offs? Is Lucic not the straw that stirs the drink on the line? If you're an opposing coach. Is it not your job to find the best players on your team to neturalize the other teams top line? Now; There are lots of arguements to be made as to WHY Bergeron's line is the top line. But, what we think is irrelevent compared to what the other coaches in the NHL think. Do you not think that it's quite possible that part of the reason the KHL is in "such a mess" is due to the fact that the other teams are using a better mixture of two way forwards against them? If that is the case. Does it not make sense that it's possible that Kelly, Peverly & Pouliet are seeing more offensive players that aren't that great defensively. Which in turn is helping out their offensive production? Coaches I think will play percentages & unless you're a Dan Bylsima, or Julien you'd play the higher percentages. So, what percentage do you play? Do you play the one that says Pouliet is going to continue that he's gonna continue at a 12 gwg this season, or that Kelly is going to continue at a 25-35 pace. Or, do you play that DK is going to start playing at ppg pace? Stats don't always tell the whole story. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overperforming / Underperforming : My post had zero to do with the KHL line and everything to do with the relevance of the +/- statistic.  So hold your horses on your last line about what my knowledge is because the "knowledge" that you introduce has nothing to do with what I was posting.  Lucic was used as an example of a guy who has put up good offensive numbers but has a relatively low plus/minus, Thornton and Paille do not fit that criteria and thus were not used.  To add to that, I never quoted Lucic's plus minus, so I don't know what wrong information you would be referring to.  And I never inferred that there are other "intangibles" that go into a players value (I'm a big Thorton fan). I'm sure it is no coincedence that you are posting in response to my response to somebody who was trying to make somebody look stupid when their own reasoning was flawed
    Fine, Lucic is one of our top goal scorers, but he (and his line) are also on the ice for more goals than anybody else.  If you score a goal, and then the other team scores one on you -- the effects cancel out and is of no net benefit to the team.  It is no coincedence that the entire Bergeron line are team leaders in +/-.  Not only do they create offense, but they also don't get scored on very often.

Excuse me? You may not have added Lucic's +/-, but you used him to describe what that stat is did you not? You complained about how he & his line get scored on more than anybody else to make your point.
    As far as making someone else look stupid? I've learned on here & you will too with more posts. There's only one person who can make someone look stupid. That's themselves! I've done it plenty of x. And I'll probably do it again. Nobody has the power to make anyone look anything. It's how you respond & how you react to things that make that happen Chappy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]OK, since SO MANY whiners are all over the KHL line & how terrible their performances have been thus far? Let me try to shed some light on the issue as to WHY this maybe happening. Was DK not the the top play-off goal scorer last yr? Was Horton not one, if not the guy who scored the biggest goals of the play-offs? Is Lucic not the straw that stirs the drink on the line? If you're an opposing coach. Is it not your job to find the best players on your team to neturalize the other teams top line? Now; There are lots of arguements to be made as to WHY Bergeron's line is the top line. But, what we think is irrelevent compared to what the other coaches in the NHL think. Do you not think that it's quite possible that part of the reason the KHL is in " such a mess " is due to the fact that the other teams are using a better mixture of two way forwards against them? If that is the case. Does it not make sense that it's possible that Kelly, Peverly & Pouliet are seeing more offensive players that aren't that great defensively. Which in turn is helping out their offensive production? Coaches I think will play percentages & unless you're a Dan Bylsima, or Julien you'd play the higher percentages. So, what percentage do you play? Do you play the one that says Pouliet is going to continue that he's gonna continue at a 12 gwg this season, or that Kelly is going to continue at a 25-35 pace. Or, do you play that DK is going to start playing at ppg pace? Stats don't always tell the whole story. 

nite- not sure that people are bashing the KHL line, the feedback seems pretty constructive from what I am reading.  I am very pleased with how this team is playing, but I have been a little disappointed in the body of work of Krejci and Horton.  My disappointment is as much about increased expectations associated with their incredible playoff performance.  

Krejci is on a 53 point pace, I just expect more from him.  His play has been better as of late, so hoping he is beyond his early season funk.  Horton is on a 56 point pace, which is consistent to his 2010-11 regular season, but he is invisible to me on many nights. I am actually a little worried about the guy, he just doesn't seem right.

I also posted positives for Seguin and Kelly, worthy of some additional praise.  The rest of the team are playing like the defending Stanley Cup champs they are.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Why you mentioning Lucic? He's a +5! Paille & Thorts are worse. I think if you're going to use stats to benefit your argument you should be correct.
    Also, if you don't see the intangibles that the KHL line brings to this team then you show your knowledge isn't much!

@Nite

In case you missed it I was responding to your comment about my knowledge not being "much".  Was never bashing KHL or quoting stats to make one player look good or bad.  Was laying out logic for the value of the plus/minus statistic in reaction to somebody elses claim that it was completely useless -- to which you decided to jump in, drop unrelated stats, and question my knowledge.  No need to beat a dead horse but I posted my opinion and my logic to which you came back with an insult.

Back on topic

Underperforming -- Krecji (I won't even include Horton because I don't expect that much out of him)

Playing to Potential/Expectations -- Thorton, Paille, Bergeron, Seguin (could be in next group depending on how you look at it), Lucic, Horton, Ferrence, McQuaid, Boychuck, Seidenberg, Corvo

Overperforming -- Thomas, Rask, Chara, Marchand, Kelly, Peverly, Campbell

It's worth noting that the above was listed based on the WHOLE season.  I think that Pouliot is currently playing above expectations but was terrible to start thus landing somewhere in the middle.  Seguin I think has the talent to lead us offensively and has cooled down as of late.  On pace for 60-70 points which I think is about right.  He's one big game away from ending up in the overperforming group

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Overperforming / Underperforming : nite- not sure that people are bashing the KHL line, the feedback seems pretty constructive from what I am reading.  I am very pleased with how this team is playing, but I have been a little disappointed in the body of work of Krejci and Horton.  My disappointment is as much about increased expectations associated with their incredible playoff performance.   Krejci is on a 53 point pace, I just expect more from him.  His play has been better as of late, so hoping he is beyond his early season funk.  Horton is on a 56 point pace, which is consistent to his 2010-11 regular season, but he is invisible to me on many nights. I am actually a little worried about the guy, he just doesn't seem right. I also posted positives for Seguin and Kelly, worthy of some additional praise.  The rest of the team are playing like the defending Stanley Cup champs they are.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    Crowls? There's a right way & a wrong way to go about saying things. As I said to Soxfan. And you can certainly include yourself in there as well. As things are for the Bruins there's FAR too many positives to talk about then the negative. To spend a whole post complaining about a player whose -3 & a -1 & make the whole post to justify why you're saying what you're saying. It shows that particular persons personality. Does it not? That's my whole issue. Then you have someone come on here to go on the attack on somebody for just stating that someone who's using what they gave as not having an argument, because they were vague. Then, that goes right back to my original rant. Going into detail about a negative.

I stick up for teammates here. I have stuck up for you against who I like to call "rookies" on this forum. I have my favourites, but I have those that I also respect. I'm old school where what someone may say to someone else is OK. Let's say yourself saying something to Dez. I probably wouldn't go off on you if you were being say..."a smart alec, or condescending" however, if you have a person like Chappy doing it? I don't feel he's earned that right yet. I don't think he's been here & proved himself enough to step into this team & battled & fought enough for, or with him to talk to him that way. That's the way I am & that's the way I'll always be. Even if what they're saying maybe more right in the overall scheme of things. It won't matter. I have the mentality that if you fight one of us. You'll fight us all. Hope this puts some understanding into what my beef is here.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Why you mentioning Lucic? He's a +5! Paille & Thorts are worse. I think if you're going to use stats to benefit your argument you should be correct. Also, if you don't see the intangibles that the KHL line brings to this team then you show your knowledge isn't much! @Nite In case you missed it I was responding to your comment about my knowledge not being "much".  Was never bashing KHL or quoting stats to make one player look good or bad.  Was laying out logic for the value of the plus/minus statistic in reaction to somebody elses claim that it was completely useless -- to which you decided to jump in, drop unrelated stats, and question my knowledge.  No need to beat a dead horse but I posted my opinion and my logic to which you came back with an insult. Back on topic Underperforming -- Krecji (I won't even include Horton because I don't expect that much out of him) Playing to Potential/Expectations -- Thorton, Paille, Bergeron, Seguin (could be in next group depending on how you look at it), Lucic, Horton, Ferrence, McQuaid, Boychuck, Seidenberg, Corvo Overperforming -- Thomas, Rask, Chara, Marchand, Kelly, Peverly, Campbell It's worth noting that the above was listed based on the WHOLE season.  I think that Pouliot is currently playing above expectations but was terrible to start thus landing somewhere in the middle.  Seguin I think has the talent to lead us offensively and has cooled down as of late.  On pace for 60-70 points which I think is about right.  He's one big game away from ending up in the overperforming group
    For what you're describing it is useless! As Soxfan explained. Plus minus can be a very overrated stat. Just as it is when you're trying to use that stat against the KHL line.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]OK, since SO MANY whiners are all over the KHL line & how terrible their performances have been thus far? Let me try to shed some light on the issue as to WHY this maybe happening. Was DK not the the top play-off goal scorer last yr? Was Horton not one, if not the guy who scored the biggest goals of the play-offs? Is Lucic not the straw that stirs the drink on the line? If you're an opposing coach. Is it not your job to find the best players on your team to neturalize the other teams top line? Now; There are lots of arguements to be made as to WHY Bergeron's line is the top line. But, what we think is irrelevent compared to what the other coaches in the NHL think. Do you not think that it's quite possible that part of the reason the KHL is in " such a mess " is due to the fact that the other teams are using a better mixture of two way forwards against them? If that is the case. Does it not make sense that it's possible that Kelly, Peverly & Pouliet are seeing more offensive players that aren't that great defensively. Which in turn is helping out their offensive production? Coaches I think will play percentages & unless you're a Dan Bylsima, or Julien you'd play the higher percentages. So, what percentage do you play? Do you play the one that says Pouliet is going to continue that he's gonna continue at a 12 gwg this season, or that Kelly is going to continue at a 25-35 pace. Or, do you play that DK is going to start playing at ppg pace? Stats don't always tell the whole story. 

OK Nite, firstly easy on the "So many Whiners" and "The line is such a mess" comments.  Your blowing other posters comments way out of proportion. 

It is the matching piece of your post that I find interesting.  I wonder if you are right about the playing of the percentages.  I would have thought coaches would be using a "who's killing me tonight or this period" approach.  I think a lot of us have been using that argument to explain Seguin's leveling off the past month. 
    We seem to have a lot of ex players posting here.  Anybody out there coach at a high level and could shed some light on this matching thing?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I'm going to say that I think that Krejci has been underperforming.

I am also going to say that Horton is playing how he historically has (if I recall correctly). So I'm not concerned. He gets goals when we need them. He has done well with the PP. He however doesn't seem to have quite the same tenacity after the Rome hit.

Additionally I'm going to say that I think the rest of this team has done a fantastic job keeping up the scoring (of the last 25 games) and their defense has done their job a T.

As for the whole argument going. Nite, as far as "earning the right" to do anything on this board... I mean that's a bit ridiculous. This is a forum for public opinion and if someone's opinion differs from someone elses that doesn't mean that just because they have a low post count (I probably fall under that category, but my tenure is on the longer side) doesn't make their opinion any less valid. And you also say that you'll back someone whose been here longer even if their wrong (or more to how you said it, less correct)? That just sounds... uneducated. I'm not trying to make any personal attacks or anything but when I read that I had to go back and read it again to make sure I actually read it right... If I see a discussion and one person has a good argument and they are arguing against my best friend I'll tell my friend I think the person is making a good argument. This doesn't mean I'm stabbing my buddy in the back, it just means that I think he's wrong. It happens, people aren't perfect and they do make wrong calls sometimes.

Finally just because the team is playing well doesn't mean we can't point out faults. Can't forget that just because things are going right doesn't mean there are not things that can be improved upon. And just because someone points that out doesn't mean they are whining!

And on a positive note, let's go hunt some 'yotes.