Owners/Players ENTITLED By We The Fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Owners/Players ENTITLED By We The Fans

The NHL is now beginning its 4th work stoppage in the last twenty years and they are banking that this latest one will not have any impacts on hockey krishnas and the overall fanbase.

While they quabble over revenue sharing, arbitration, entry-level contracts and free agency, we the fams are expected to just sit back and wait, and then return in droves when the lights are turned back on. THIS IS BULL!

The only way these work stoppages will cease and desist is if the fans don't show up and support the league when the two sides finally figure out it is time to get back to work.

To be honest, I'll like to walk away and say F.U. NHL, but it's not easy on those cold winter nights when baseball and football are done and all there is for pro sports is the NBA. But I sense that for many here hockey is their only love and they will return no questions asked.

So I am interested to hear the opinions of other NHL hockey fans frequenting this message board ...will you just return to your seat at an NHL arena or in front of your TV when these doofuses decide to play again?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: Owners/Players ENTITLED By We The Fans

"To be honest, I'll like to walk away and say F.U. NHL, but it's not easy on those cold winter nights when baseball and football are done and all there is for pro sports is the NBA"

You just have to find something else to do 3 days a week for 3 hours, not a huge deal. There are thousands of people without jobs now, and thousands of businesses that rely on NHL arena attendence that are actually effected by the lockout. It's hard to feel bad for the fans who seem to think the NHL is hurting their feelings, their lives go on. Meanwhile the players are getting paid to do nothing, while those who make the NHL possible are looking for employment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I only watch hockey and nothing else.

I live in MA metro west.

Major jr. is nowhere nearby.

College isn't broadcast enough.

Providence is a long drive and not broadcast at all.

I've played and watched since I was 11 or 13 or something like that.

There's a lot wrong with it even in the best of times.

So what choice do I have?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I only watch hockey and nothing else.

I live in MA metro west.

Major jr. is nowhere nearby.

College isn't broadcast enough.

Providence is a long drive and not broadcast at all.

I've played and watched since I was 11 or 13 or something like that.

There's a lot wrong with it even in the best of times.

So what choice do I have?

[/QUOTE]

Hoping NHL Network will show some junior/ahl games instead of silly re-runs about Pat Kanes day, and "Oil change"

NESN should show some Providence games I would think, they've got nothing else to do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

soxdog, unfortunately fans will flock back when all's said and done, at least in Canada they will....  let's hope i'm wrong though....

as for me, the only way i'll be spotted at a hockey game anytime soon is if given a free ticket....  and while there i wouldn't spend one red cent, not even for a brew....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Bump

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Ill never understand why so many fans overestimate their significance.

The owners dont care about the fans.  The players dont care about the fans.  Both know whenever this is over, whether its tomorrow or 2015, the vast majority of the fans will come back, guaranteed.  The tiny fraction of those fans who hold their breath and don't will not be missed by anyone.

Get over yourselves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They do care.  To say they don't is stupid.  Get over yourself.  Without fans, there is no league. 

Will I return?  Of course.  Hockey is the greatest game on Earth.  If they need to wait a while to iron these things out, that's fine.  Hockey doesn't pump my heart or pay my bills.  I love it, but without the NHL, life goes on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ill never understand why so many fans overestimate their significance.

The owners dont care about the fans.  The players dont care about the fans.  Both know whenever this is over, whether its tomorrow or 2015, the vast majority of the fans will come back, guaranteed.  The tiny fraction of those fans who hold their breath and don't will not be missed by anyone.

Get over yourselves.

[/QUOTE]

How do you mean "overestimate".  Most everyone agree's with your assesmsnt that owners and players don't give a hoot.  And virtually everyone agree's the "vast majority" will come back.

The reality though Sox, is that the vast majority isn't enough.  Both sides expect to grow the game.  They're not only arguing about what they get...they're arguing about what they figure to get, and it's all based on "everybody" coming back and then some.

If every die hard hockey fan that thinks this horsesh*t shouldn't happen about every 6 years on average, showed just one ounce of discipline....this stuff would stop.

A 5% decline in revenues would drive both sides absolutely crazy.  They'd both be kicking themselves for allowing this to happen.  But....both sides think we're too stupid.  They're banking on that.

About a third of the NHL's current revenue, is money that wasn't there 7 years ago.  It's new(less increases of course).  Not coming from the folks like us who are hockey fanatics, but more the fair weather, pop culture types.  That's very shaky revenue, cuz it comes from very shaky sources.

This idea that the fans can't do anything, or over believe in their significance, is merely  attitude.  Either you believe the world spins along, and we're just passengers, or you believe that big things can happen when a few people commit to something, and follow through.  There's ample historical proof to show option #1 is defeatist, and # 2 is enlightenment.

Hockey fans are not going to boycott the game.  That's impractical.  We can though, easily cut back our spending a bit, and that will make a huge difference.

Personally, I love NHL hockey, but I'm sick of supporting the business.  Not gonna renew my centre ice package.  Usually buy a t-shirt, hat..a few souvenirs, but I can resist that temptation this year too.  Usually go to around 4 games a year, buy lots of watered down beer, and overpriced junk food.  Probably will cut one game off the schedule this year(or whenever we get back to business), and I'll make sure I've had lots to eat before game time, and I'll have a couple beers before the game, and a couple after from a nearby vendor.  Pretty small stuff, but for this fan, that's about a 60% decline, with very little inconvenience.  Most fans can easily do 10%, and if this were to happen, coupled with the pink hat decline, the NHL business would be rocked to the core.

It's not difficult, it's not impractical, and it's not exagerating our significance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

When we had the big discussion of sleazy agents, people defending agents said that they were just doing what they do.  This isn't different.  Owners invest massive amounts of capital in sports as a business.  You can argue that there are the Mark Cubans out there who are in it to win, not to make money, and you can argue that others - maybe Terry Pegula, Ted Leonsis - plan to take losses so they can write them off.  But those guys are the minority in the NHL.  Most of the NHL owners are not on any list Forbes has ever produced.  They have big money, but they need the NHL team to pull its weight even if they gravitate to winning more than just cashing out.  So hey, people who got rich running large businesses want to reduce what is by far their most signficant operating cost - player salaries.  And hey, lookee, the players, who have spent their entire lives training and developing a skill set that has only one real economic value, want to take home as much of the pie as they can in the short window in which their bodies will let them.

Both sides just doing what they do.

I'm going to do what I do.  That will probably mean I spend a few thousand bucks less on NHL and NHL related things.  It isn't a question of protesting or being part of a movement - I'm going to do things that I enjoy and put the money elsewhere.  I've already bought more junior tickets than I did last year, and I put the remaining money I had planned to spend on NHL tickets into a new guitar.  C'est la vie, Gary.  Playing guitar is good trade off as something to do on cold winter nights.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I think it's different.  The reason I feel this way, is because the league is trying to sell an illogical fix to financial realities.  Any employer who believes cutting salary 20 something percent everytime their agreement expires,  has an incredibly short sighted, overly simplistic business model.  Last time, I thought the owners had a solid concern.  This time I don't.

Anyway, you make a great point about the guitar.  I also went out and bought another one.  A new Telecaster

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

All I spend money on is the NHL Package on Direct TV. But with the NHL locked out. I wont be spending any money toward the NHL. My hockey money is spent playing it, for the mens league team Im on. I average maybe one NHL game a year and it has involved the Bruins coming to town to play the BlueJackets. Other than that one game, I dont go. I can tell you this though. The downtown columbus area suffers a great deal when there is no hockey to be played. So many restaurants and bars rely on the NHL and the bluejackets. The lockout year killed many establishments down there. It was awful. Downtown Cbus is nice but without a reason to go downtown such as hockey, its in trouble and will be again this year if they dont play.

As of right now and through most of the year, I can stay occupied with playing hockey and whitetail deer hunting and all the primetime shows that come back on. I admit, I watch alot of hockey during the season, but have plenty to keep me busy if they dont play.

Sections
Shortcuts