Paille gets swarmed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Paille gets swarmed

Paille throws a questionable hit- without any intent. Then he immediately gets attacked from every opposition player on the ice. It was about sticking up for each other and team attitude. That kind of emotion is reflected by their performance on the ice. It's more important than some staged fight from Thornton-which means nothing...it's not about that.

The Bruins have been getting sent to the hospital without response. You don't think that  leadership is THE problem ?  Coach ? Captain ?

Anybody remember Aaron Ward and Scott Walker...do the math

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Re: Paille gets swarmed

In Response to Paille gets swarmed:
    [QUOTE]Paille throws a questionable hit- without any intent. Then he immediately gets attacked from every opposition player on the ice. It was about sticking up for each other and team attitude. That kind of emotion is reflected by their performance on the ice. It's more important than some staged fight from Thornton-which means nothing... it's not about that . The Bruins have been getting sent to the hospital without response. You don't think that  leadership is THE  problem ?  Coach ? Captain ? Anybody remember Aaron Ward and Scott Walker...do the math
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

I remember too well. This team is missing a COACH & CAPTAIN!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It galls me to think that responsibility for the lack of total team response falls on the coach and captain.  There are at least 23 guys who should be embarrassed by this team's attitude and reaction to teammates being abused. And I can't think of a coach who could stop most players with real commitment to their teammates from reacting on emotion before the brainwashing kicks in, so I have to think this goes beyond leadership - or at least, the guys with titles that say they're leaders.  The whole thing just reeks of that lousy thinking: you can't fire 20 players, so you fire the coach.  Problem is, what if you fire the coach, strip the captain of the C, and nothing changes?

We hear all the right things from the players - how they're such a close-knit group etc. etc.  Actions don't match the words.  Why are we still waiting for Recchi's annual pronouncement?  Why is it an annual pronouncement?  He's the veteran voice making as much as $1.7M in large part because of his leadership. Mark? Maa-ark?

I think there are two further steps before you have to take steps to change the culture by changing the coach and changing the captain. 

1.  Get healthy for a stretch.  We'll see what they look like when there are more bodies than jobs, and when underperforming puts the cap relief target on your back.  You hope that that level of competition raises the intensity in the room.

2.  Move some bodies.  And not just to clear cap space.  I'm sure everyone in that room avoids meeting Ryder's eye when the subject comes up, but that will only bring back picks or prospects.  Make a deal that brings in new bodies with aggressive personalities.  Or better yet, move someone who seems untouchable even when he's underperforming.  This is getting to the point where nothing is sacred - not even a freshly signed extension that doesn't kick in until the end of the year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Anybody remember Aaron Ward and Scott Walker...do the math"

That was the playoffs there would have been a melee if that happened in the regular season ala the Stars-Bruins regular season fight but it was the playoffs so no one wanted the extra 2minutes or 5 minutes. You want old non skilled players (who's legs are done) like Ward and Hnidy because they police the ice better ? Not me!

Colin Campbell dropped the ball on that Walker punch and we now know why. If the Bruins went back to that seventies style Campbell would be handing out Bruin suspensions left and right betcha Colin will suspend Paille. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

If a coach cant get the team to play with emotion, how does he get them to play with agression ? He cant, its that simple. In my eyes I see a team with (when all health has been resored ) a very offensive threat in which under CJ is like a bad word in church. Then theres the pp, its so enemic if it was human it would need a transfusion, hence this teams needs one and not just one or 2 players going as BB says, were all stuck on this dont trade a,b or c, well it gonna have to happen at one point or the other to get this team to be consistent. As far as the captain goes, the coach cant get thru to him either so all in all there is a problem in the dressing room, its likely everytime CJ walks in it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

1. I don't know of any team in the NHL that is truly healthy.  Using injuries as a reason for lack of attitude and response or anything else for that matter, is simply an excuse.

2. Your last statement about nothing being sacred is a defining one.  Essentially you are advocating that the Bruins trade a Bergeron, Chara, Lucic, Krejci, etc..., instead of getting rid of the coach.  Might the lack of aggressiveness be a reflection of Wade Phillips, um I mean Claude Julien.  Does his defensive style hamper the aggressiveness of players?

Unfortunately, it is getting close to that time where both the coach and an untouchable may have to go.  Furthermore, I am not holding out hope that Savard or Sturm are the saviors for this team, as I don't expect either of them to have a significant impact in their diminished physical and mental states.

Is there anybody that believes that Cam Neely likes this Bruins style of hockey? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I don't have a problem with the Paille response yesterday.  The hit looked bad, Eager put Paille in a headlock (instead of punching him) and Thronton and Stuart immediately came flying in to peel him off.  Nothing bad happended to Paille.  If a Bruins guy had been boarded like that (I know it wasn't intentional and may have been Burmistrov's fault) we would want our players to go after the guy just like Atlanta did.

The lack of emotion in general is very troubling though.  Fighting without a sustained compete level in the game is meaningless.  It seems like Claude has lost the ability to motivate these guys to play hard and Recchi or Chara don't want to call people out yet.  It's getting embarassing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

The Bruins have no leaders. Recchi is a sad excuse for these clowns. A 50 yr old has to show them how its done. You don't give the C to the guy that makes the most money but has never won squat ever. Chiapet has an infatuation with Ottawa a team that has always suxed. period. He think they have a good or-gan-i-za-tion....as they say in Canada. The Senators are losers. No question about it.....As for Paille, he has killed the Bruins two games in a row but clueless Clod will never take him out of the lineup...only a guy like Kessel will get benched because he has too much talent for a hapless clown like Clod

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Bookboy,
    Do the players respect CJ? Do they admire and respect Chara? I have a hard time believing they do. I have a big problem with Chara and his physical play for the last 2 years and people will say "he played with injuries" but the fact is he played in the Olympics with "INJURIES" and he played very physical in those said games. I think Chara is over rated and we expect too much out of him. He can't deliver the play his salary calls for. There is NO SOLIDARITY on this team and CJ does not have a plan that is going to get this team "READY" to play the better teams in the NHL. 70% of the league has CJ figured out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Whether they respect CJ or not is not the issue, or it shouldn't be.  Most of the guys on this team haven't earned the right to withhold respect because they've never had more NHL success than they've had under CJ.  Lucic, Krejci, Boychuck, Wheeler, Ryder, Hunwick are in that category for sure, and Savard has a much better reputation as a player under CJ.  The only guys who have had better seasons under other coaches are Chara, Ference, Seidenberg, Recchi, Paille, Campbell, Thornton, Stuart, and Bergeron.  Look at what those guys specialize in - outside of Recchi and Bergeron - and tell me they're unhappy with a defensive-minded coach who rolls four lines.  Bergeron and Recchi are the only exceptions here, and Bergeron had never won a playoff series before CJ.

Look, I'm not absolving those two of responsibility, but I'm not sure I'd look at them as the quick fix either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

MeanE - you're right about teams being truly healthy, but the Bruins are in a bit of a unique limbo right now.  The entire team knows that there will be changes - maybe significant changes - when Savard and Sturm come off of IR.  Uncertainty can be terrible for emotion if everyone is wondering who's really part of the team and who isn't.  You see it every year with teams that are out of the playoffs and waiting for the deadline purge.  I guess the real point is end the uncertainty around Savard/Sturm.  Make the moves and give it a few games to sink in.  If there's still no emotion, you have bigger problems - thus the "no one is untouchable" option.

What was Crowls2424's word?  The Binky?  No one wants to trade Bergeron because he's been great Bruin story in a lot of ways - made the team so young, scored 30 goals when he was still pretty much a kid, endured and returned from the horrific concussion, made Team Canada, led the team in scoring last year....  Same with Krejci - when he's on, he looks like a #1 C in waiting.  But these are the guys who might be dealt to get a player who can change a culture.

Just to add a last thought - the culture of this franchise hasn't been right since Steve Kasper.  It took a few strides under Burns and Keenan, but too many core players have had soft hands and softer attitudes - well, not always soft attitudes, but certainly not leadership attitudes.  Look back at something like the McLaren hit on Zednik and how quietly the Bruins and their pencil-necked coach of the day let the Habs feed on his carcass.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Paille gets swarmed:
    [QUOTE]MeanE - you're right about teams being truly healthy, but the Bruins are in a bit of a unique limboright now.  The entire team knows that there will be changes - maybe significant changes - when Savard and Sturm come off of IR.  Uncertainty can be terrible for emotion if everyone is wondering who's really part of the team and who isn't.  You see it every year with teams that areout of the playoffs and waiting for the deadline purge.  I guess the real point is end the uncertainty around Savard/SturmMake the moves and give it a few games to sink in.  If there's still no emotion, you have bigger problems - thus the "no one is untouchable" option. What was Crowls2424's word?  The Binky?  No one wants to trade Bergeron because he's been great Bruin story in a lot of ways - made the team so young, scored 30 goals when he was still pretty much a kid, endured and returned from the horrific concussion, made Team Canada, led the team in scoring last year....  Same with Krejci - when he's on, he looks like a #1 C in waiting.  But these are the guys who might be dealt to get a player who can change a culture. Just to add a last thought - the culture of this franchise hasn't been right since Steve Kasper.  It took a few strides under Burns and Keenan, but too many core players have had soft hands and softer attitudes - well, not always soft attitudes, but certainly not leadership attitudes.  Look back at something like theMcLaren hit on Zednik and how quietly the Bruins and their pencil-necked coach of the day let the Habs feed on his carcass.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Great great great stuff BB !!! Amazing along with your post earlier.
    I also feel they're playing with changes to come in the back of their mind (just like before trade deadline) .  Like you said , when the changes are done and sunk in we can judge this team . 
    This is why PC must act soon,  he must realize (if hasn't already) that it's taking a toll on this team,  the sooner he moves the sooner can this team be steered in the right direction.
    Thanks buddy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

BB - I know you have stated many times about the need for competition on this club for spots, or in other words jobs.  Shouldn't the impending return of Savard and Sturm provide enough fuel for players to compete for their job on this club.  If a player can't handle their "emotions" as to the uncertainty of the future.  Maybe these are the players that need to be sent packing, so that the culture is changed.  It shouldn't be hard as a professional to bust your bag and let CJ, PC, and Cam worry about cap problem.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm with you BB on some thoughts, but IMO the Bruins did react after Paille's unintentional boarding call. He was aiming for a check further down and Burmistov turned toward the boards and Paille caught him with his off balanced shoulder then stood there. Eager jumped in and so did the bruins with a scrum. Only Thornton had dropped his glove[s]. Chiarelli has to complete the Savard exchange first, then evaluate who else. If he moves Ryder for picks that gives more Cap space so a trade would be in order as defense is a bigger problem and Arneil looked pretty good when he played. Chara is great with his size and stick for shutting down players like Ovechkin, but he also makes a number of mistakes[ not keeping the puck in,; long passes to nowhere;losing the puck in skates;Too deliberate and slows down the breakout.] He's not the only one as we have watched so many misdirected passes and constant passes BACK behind the net, not forward[ Recchi and Ryder more often than others] Stuart just does not seem to grow in the job, he is strong and tough, but, not so smart!!! Seidenberg is catching all the bad habits of others; Ramsey's young Atlanta defense looked a lot better.Paille just cannot handle the puck, Arneil was MUCH better with the puck and equally fast. He's also cheaper.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

From "Bookboy007" : "but the Bruins are in a bit of a unique limbo right now.  The entire team knows that there will be changes - maybe significant changes - when Savard and Sturm come off of IR.  Uncertainty can be terrible for emotion if everyone is wondering who's really part of the team and who isn't.  You see it every year with teams that are out of the playoffs and waiting for the deadline purge."

Exactly!  I just posted an equivalent thought in the main article on yesterday's game before reading through this thread.  I'd read thoughts about the delay in making a move being counter-productive and made the connection today with the trade deadline.

Teams are always all over the place before the deadline.  There is uncertainty and obvious distraction for these guys.  Imagine going into work every day and not knowing whether you'll be back tomorrow - or told to move across the country and you start work in our Edmonton office tomorrow.

Yeah, players get traded all the time - but it doesn't affect their play when they don't know it's coming.  In a situation like this, as with the deadline, they have to be on edge.

Some people will pull the "they're professionals, it shouldn't affect them" card but they're human first, professional hockey players second.

Whatever the issues - let's hope they're long behind them in a month's time.