Panthers to be sold?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Panthers to be sold?

100% unreliable and unsourcable news out of South Florida says the Panthers may be sold to a Brooklyn company headed by President Michael Yormark's brother.

It's taken 300 years to get the Coyotes deal done.  Let's see what happens with this, if anything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Panthers to be sold?

Moving them to Quebec?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

Moving them to Quebec?

Highly, highly doubtful - that lease still has 18 years on it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

NAS posted some info regarding their lease in another thread over the summer. When I read that I remember saying to myself they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Just saw this on TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432160

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Well, I guess my info wasn't that off the mark!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

When's the last time a franchise sale benefitted the product on the ice?  It's been brutal for Dallas, Edmonton's done little under Katz, Laffs are still funny, Buffalo crashed and burned.  Meanwhile not being sold has worked pretty well in the desert.

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

When's the last time a franchise sale benefitted the product on the ice?  It's been brutal for Dallas, Edmonton's done little under Katz, Laffs are still funny, Buffalo crashed and burned.  Meanwhile not being sold has worked pretty well in the desert.

I cannot imagine a scenario that could make matters worse down here.  Firing Tallon and bringing in Stanley would be lateral at this point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I would say Edmonton is way better off under Katz.  They committed to a true rebuild, now they are ready to become one of the best teams in the league.  Florida needs that as well.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Pittsburgh has done pretty well since Mario became principal owner. Of course, lottery ball bouncing the right way may have had more to do with that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The Canucks emergence as power in the West came shortly after Aquilini took over full ownership, the Jets have been slowly improving on the ice since True North bought the Thrashers, the Blackhawks have been rocking pretty much ever since Rocky Wirtz took over the reigns from his dad. Illitch took over the Wings near the end of the DeadWing era. They'd missed the playoffs 14 of the 16 previous seasons - since he took over they've missed only 3 times, including his first season.

Ownership can go either way, but there are at least a few examples where it has been a factor in tuerning the on-ice product around.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

So, basically, stuff it, Book. 

Stanley Cup to the Panthers 2019, 2020, 2021

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Mario and Wirtz don't really fit the same mould - that's not a new money, new ideas transaction.  Winnipeg was a move as much as a change of ownership, so that muddies the water.  Illitch bought the team when there were only 21 franchises in the league.  He's banked 9 expansion fees in the interim and drafted Steve Yzerman a year later.  Rumpelstiltskin's Oilers have had close to the worst record in the league every year of his ownership, and there's no guarantee that this is the year they turn the corner with his third GM.  I included the Laffs because the change of ownership meant they weren't hamstrung by feeding a pension fund.  So that leaves two arguments for me to stuff - Aquilini (the Canucks are done having squandered the base he largely inherited with dumb trades and bad drafting), and "Stanley=Tallon".

I graciously concede defeat. 

Stanley Cup to the Panthers 2019, 2020, 2021

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

If the NHL team closest to your home isn't the Bruins, do you want them to be good?

I'm prepetually torn on this.  I've watched the Avs closely over the years and find myself pulling for them to win games.  They've become my second favorite team.  But what I really love is the cheap tickets, and the easy accessibility of NHL hockey.  I live about a mile from the Pepsi Center and go to a lot of games.  If the Avs became good, and grew in popularity, it would be harder and more expensive for me to see so many games.  I look at the Bruins and the insane cost of tickets, frequent sell-outs, and general treament of the fans and think it's brutal.  

So, I like the Avs being unpopular.  Winning a Cup would ruin my whole set-up.  I'm wondering if other fans who are displaced in random NHL cities feel the same way.  The popularity of the NHL is not something I care about in the least.  Aside from the Bruins, I'd probably trade mediocre results for accessible tickets in any other team.

If the Panthers get good, NAS might be back in balcony at movie theaters instead of watching live NHL games in the lower bowl...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I live a five minute train ride from the arena here in Van, and I'd guess almost everyone on this board sees more live NHL games a season than I do. I hate the Canucks, but that aside the ticket prices are insane (usually scalpers are the only option) and you need to take out a loan to buy a beer, and it's even more expensive in Winnipeg when I go home to visit. Hopefully the Canucks tank sooner rather than later so the bandwagon fans will take off again and prices may possibly slip. I do sometimes think it would be easier to be an NHL fan in a place like Sunrise or Glendale than in Canada.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'll never abandon the B's, but no matter which team I live near, that becomes my adopted team.  I've been in a few different NHL cities and many AHL cities.  Comically, I've never been local to Providence, so I've always rooted against the Probies when they came to town.  The team, not the players.

It's more fun when the home team does well.  Going to stinker after stinker gets boring despite it being NHL hockey.  Last year's Panthers season was fun, but it was a drag at the same time.  You want the team to give you a reason to cheer.  Matthias had an awesome outside-in move that brought me to my feet.  Theodore had some great saves.  That's about it.

Chara's spin-o-rama was the best part of the season.

This year is going to be another difficult one, but hockey is better than no hockey any day.

As for the costs, well, it's a gift to have the tickets literally cost less than going to AMC, but when the team gets better they will go up.  At the same time, the value of the ticket will also go up because the entertainment will increase exponentially.

You get what you pay for, right?  I'd gladly pay triple the costs or more if there was a reason to be excited other than when Huberdeau or Matthias had the puck.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I live a five minute train ride from the arena here in Van, and I'd guess almost everyone here sees more live NHL games a season than I do. I hate the Canucks, but that aside the ticket prices are insane (usually scalpers are the only option) and you need to take out a loan to buy a beer, and it's even more expensive in Winnipeg when I go home to visit. Hopefully the Canucks tank sooner rather than later so the bandwagon fans will take off again and prices may possibly slip. I do sometimes think it would be easier to be an NHL fan in a place like Sunrise or Glendale than in Canada.

red (I'm seriously not trying to rub this in...), I have a ticket agent with the Avs who put together a 12-game pack for this year, and let me switch between 2-4 tickets depending on the game.  Easy to pick great seats, and not that expensive.  And they're totally loyal to the people who buy the season tickets/game plans.  Here an email I got from him yesterday, out of the blue:

Good afternoon ****,

If you’re available for tomorrow night’s preseason game against Anaheim, I can leave a pair of tickets for you at will-call. I’m also happy to offer you the opportunity to watch the pre-game warm ups from the bench.

If this works for you, please let me know right away. 

My best,

Can't go, working late tonight, but I love the gesture.  Jacobs would fire this guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

In response to red75's comment:

[QUOTE]

I live a five minute train ride from the arena here in Van, and I'd guess almost everyone here sees more live NHL games a season than I do. I hate the Canucks, but that aside the ticket prices are insane (usually scalpers are the only option) and you need to take out a loan to buy a beer, and it's even more expensive in Winnipeg when I go home to visit. Hopefully the Canucks tank sooner rather than later so the bandwagon fans will take off again and prices may possibly slip. I do sometimes think it would be easier to be an NHL fan in a place like Sunrise or Glendale than in Canada.

red (I'm seriously not trying to rub this in...), I have a ticket agent with the Avs who put together a 12-game pack for this year, and let me switch between 2-4 tickets depending on the game.  Easy to pick great seats, and not that expensive.  And they're totally loyal to the people who buy the season tickets/game plans.  Here an email I got from him yesterday, out of the blue:

Good afternoon ****,

If you’re available for tomorrow night’s preseason game against Anaheim, I can leave a pair of tickets for you at will-call. I’m also happy to offer you the opportunity to watch the pre-game warm ups from the bench.

If this works for you, please let me know right away. 

My best,

Can't go, working late tonight, but I love the gesture.  Jacobs would fire this guy.

[/QUOTE]

Jesus Fletch. Thats pretty awesome. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I want a link to verify?...oh wait there it is, thanks Kelv!

Sorry Red couldn't resist :D

Speaking of Quebec- any updates on possibly the city, at least, starting to dig ? Has the new arena been financed ?

PS. Will someone please chase this troublesome Panther troll outa here! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

WHATEVER SAN!  It's interesting hockey news!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I want a link to verify?...oh wait there it is, thanks Kelv!

Sorry Red couldn't resist :D

Speaking of Quebec- any updates on possibly the city, at least, starting to dig ? Has the new arena been financed ?

PS. Will someone please chase this troublesome Panther troll outa here! 

Awesome post.

F.Y.I, asked several people about the Thomas being shopped thing, and from what they all said it seemed to be common knowledge. All said after the Whitehouse saga his fate was sealed here. Another boat I missed.

Still skeptikal though San, and unless someone blogs about it on the web it isnt verified.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Playing around of course guys n gals. I say Bettman does what he had done in Phoenix, tries to keep the Panthers down in FLA. I dont believe Seattle nor Quebec are close to being ready.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

San, they broke ground over a year ago (Spetmber 3, 2012). Construction  is well on its way, and it's fully financed. The basic foundation is done and they're starting to er*ct (I can't believe that's a banned word) the exterior walls, with the main columns done. Here's a link (for your verification ;) ) to a site that has 4 live web cams of the construction, viewing the work from West, East, North and South.

https://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcameras/amphitheatre/index.aspx

They've also hit their first snag already, albeit a minor one - last spring when they were pouring the foundation for what will ultimately be directly below centre ice, a Canadiens fan hid a Habs puck in the cement.

Despite that, they're on schedule to open the doors in Sept. 2015.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

I cannot imagine a scenario that could make matters worse down here.  Firing Tallon and bringing in Stanley would be lateral at this point.

[/QUOTE]

Unecessary comment

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I'll never abandon the B's, but no matter which team I live near, that becomes my adopted team.  I've been in a few different NHL cities and many AHL cities.  Comically, I've never been local to Providence, so I've always rooted against the Probies when they came to town.  The team, not the players.

It's more fun when the home team does well.  Going to stinker after stinker gets boring despite it being NHL hockey.  Last year's Panthers season was fun, but it was a drag at the same time.  You want the team to give you a reason to cheer.  Matthias had an awesome outside-in move that brought me to my feet.  Theodore had some great saves.  That's about it.

Chara's spin-o-rama was the best part of the season.

This year is going to be another difficult one, but hockey is better than no hockey any day.

As for the costs, well, it's a gift to have the tickets literally cost less than going to AMC, but when the team gets better they will go up.  At the same time, the value of the ticket will also go up because the entertainment will increase exponentially.

You get what you pay for, right?  I'd gladly pay triple the costs or more if there was a reason to be excited other than when Huberdeau or Matthias had the puck.

What about Timmy T coming back?