Pastrnak & Donato: 2014-15

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Pastrnak & Donato: 2014-15

Wondering where these two guys will be playing this coming season.  Sounds like the Bruins have already begun discussing options with them.

Sounds like the CHL Import draft is in a few days, is that right?  If so, Pastrnak's options may be expanding soon.

From the Boston Herald:

The Bruins seemingly achieved their goal of upgrading team speed and scoring touch at the NHL draft in Philadelphia, particularly with their first two picks: forward David Pastrnak (first round, 25th overall) and center Ryan Donato (second round, 56th).

Both players have loads of talent and a commitment to the responsible, two-way play the B’s require of all their forwards.

New assistant general manager Scott Bradley gave a gushing evaluation of Pastrnak, who the Bruins rated far higher than No. 25 heading into Friday night. The B’s felt he was more like the 13th-best player in the draft.

“I know you hear this all the time, but I really think this is a high-value pick with Pastrnak,” said Bradley, invoking the name of NHL great Jaromir Jagr in comparison to the 18-year-old Czech Republic native. “I refer to him as a mini Jagr. He’s got that kind of talent, and he’s got some (Vladimir) Sobotka in him, too, Sobotka with offensive upside. I think it would be great if he could play with David (Krejci) one day.”

Pastrnak is under contract to play next season for Sodertalje in Sweden, where he has played since 2012-13. He said Friday his team’s goal in 2014-15 is to earn a promotion up to the Swedish Hockey League (SHL), the top loop in the country. Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli indicated there is a possibility Pastrnak will move to Canadian major juniors, which would seem better preparation for the NHL.

The next step for Scituate’s Donato is unknown. There is an understandable family interest in him playing his senior season at the Dexter School, where he has 174 points (80 goals, 94 assists) in three years (84 games), not always against high-quality competition.

B’s director of amateur scouting Keith Gretzky indicated the 18-year-old would benefit more — athletically, if not academically — by moving to the USHL (Omaha).

“You want him to push himself,” Gretzky said. “The ideal would be the USHL. We’ll sit down with the family and decide what’s best for him.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2014/06/bruins_get_talented_kids

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Pastrnak & Donato: 2014-15

I'd love to see one or both play Major Junior.  I wonder if anyone in the CHL has Donato's rights?  Must - or it's a bad sign re: how others see his talent.

If Pastrnak is anything like a mini-Jagr (and the "quickness to attack off the half-wall" comments I've seen sound like the basis for that comparison) then that could be fun.  On the other hand, how much less effective would Jagr be without his giant can?

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He's a mini-Jagr and a scoring version of Sobotka.  What an identity crisis!

Thanks for posting this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Mr Bradley made a good evaluation of both player ...after the Scherbak's schock ...I know feel good about our picks ....both Pastrnak and Donato should play in the NHL within the next 3 years.

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Sounds like the CHL Import draft is in a few days, is that right?  If so, Pastrnak's options may be expanding soon.

Wednesday . An OHL team would be nice. The flex pack decisions will be easier to make after this draft. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If my choices were Omaha and Eastern Canada, I would take Canada. Roenick skipped his senior year in high school in Boston to go play in the "Q" I believe. Don't know how you could say no Gretzky recruiting you.

Does the WHL get a crack at drafting Donato as well ? Or is that part of the same draft ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

If my choices were Omaha and Eastern Canada, I would take Canada. Roenick skipped his senior year in high school in Boston to go play in the "Q" I believe. Don't know how you could say no Gretzky recruiting you.

Does the WHL get a crack at drafting Donato as well ? Or is that part of the same draft ?

Import draft is for players outside of North America.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Gotcha the "import" is not for the GMs after the draft

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

If he plays in th chl he's limited to the q. I'd be really happy if he went to Omaha though. Great development program there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

And oddly enough the Nebraska Omaha lancers play neither in Omaha or Nebraska. Unless they got a new rink

edit: they did build a new rink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

If he plays in th chl he's limited to the q. I'd be really happy if he went to Omaha though. Great development program there. [/QUOTE]

As a whole USNTDP has done a great job 19 players selected. The Omaha crack was just that, I'd prefer the "Q" as I think the competition is better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

If he plays in th chl he's limited to the q. I'd be really happy if he went to Omaha though. Great development program there.

As a whole USNTDP has done a great job 19 players selected. The Omaha crack was just that, I'd prefer the "Q" as I think the competition is better.

Oh I agree, but my bet is that he wants to play college. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Agreed as a Havard education would be sweet. I wouldn't play for my dad though

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Personally, I used to be very close to the situation.  Donato cannot go wrong playing for his uncle at Dexter as he is an excellent coach (easily could be a DI college coach) and will continue to improve under his tutelage.  My only concern would be the level of competition and the amount of games played at the prep level.   Even the most ambitious NE prep teams might play around 30 games which is a paltry amount compared to junior.  He will also be playing against a sprinkling of DI and maybe only a couple of NHL prospects.   I will conjecture that Harvard is most likely not an option for most others that do take the junior route.  If Donato was a first round selection, this might be a harder decision.  But since he is on the small side with family support throughout the ranks, this is an easy decision.  Dexter.  He will just have some catching up to do (hockey level wise) his freshman year while at Harvard.

Luc Dufour was as tough as Nails.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Following up on this as Pasternak went 10th in the CHL Import Draft to Belleville.

http://www.chl.ca/draft/chl" rel="nofollow">http://www.chl.ca/draft/chl

As it stands now, Pastrnak will not come over. He has a contract with Sodertalje where he plays against men and is happy there. The only x-factor would be if the Bruins sign him to his entry-level deal and re-open the major junior discussion, but right now, Belleville looks to be out of luck.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/chl-import-draft-who-is-coming-and-who-is-staying-home/

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They aren't Canadians and they don't play in the CHL.  Is there a reason they don't just go straight to Providence?  Try something different.  Nothing else has been working lately.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hey, Belleville!  It's one of those quirky things that even the last couple of years, where I think I've seen fewer games than I have since I moved to Ontario, tickets to the Belleville games seem to land in my lap.  Hoping that Dr. Zhivago makes the jump, and that the trend then continues. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Hey, Belleville!  It's one of those quirky things that even the last couple of years, where I think I've seen fewer games than I have since I moved to Ontario, tickets to the Belleville games seem to land in my lap.  Hoping that Dr. Zhivago makes the jump, and that the trend then continues. 

Nice. I was going to make the Dr. Zhivago reference on draft night but figured only about 2% of the posters would know what I was talking about. Or some dick would inform me that Patrnak never played for Zhivago he was playing for Sodertalje :P

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

They aren't Canadians and they don't play in the CHL.  Is there a reason they don't just go straight to Providence?  Try something different.  Nothing else has been working lately.

AHL age minimum prevents them from going to Prov this year I believe. 

WTL - I've been calling him "Don't call me Boris" a couple of times - crickets.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

WTL - I've been calling him "Don't call me Boris" a couple of times - crickets.

HA! I must have missed those posts. I hate when work gets in the way of life .

Has there ever been anyone who looked more like a Boris than Patrnak? Even if his parents hadn't named him Boris by the time he was 12 they would have had to have changed it.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

The AHL requires the player to be 18 by September 15th.  Pastrnak and Bourque both comply.

I know CHL players cannot come to the AHL before they are 20, but I think everyone else can.  

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

The AHL requires the player to be 18 by September 15th.  Pastrnak and Bourque both comply.

I know CHL players cannot come to the AHL before they are 20, but I think everyone else can.  

Is there an incentive for the Bruins to keep these kids out of Providence?  Thinking of impact to the EL deal.  I might be totally off on that.

Nope, I don't think there's a contractual reason other than, perhaps, the concern that he'll make the jump to Boston in year three, light it up, and demand huge bucks.  Oh no.  He can go to the A, but I don't think they'd want him playing in a league where there's a role for Bobby Robins considering he's build like a pipe-cleaner.  OHL has its share of guys who will push your face back an inch or two, but they're pretty good at making sure the environment isn't too violent that first round picks get injured.  That deal where the NHL leaves most of the kids in the CHL for at least a year after they're draft?  The first time a Ryan Johanssen or Ryan Strome (or any kid named Ryan chosen at the top of the draft) got gooned might be the end of it.

NAS - yes, Ray Bourque is totally over 18.  As is Chris.  First time anyone ever confused Donato and Bourque, I think....

• Sections
    Shortcuts