Patience with Bourque

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlankStares. Show BlankStares's posts

Re: Patience with Bourque

5 games. FIVE. I had to stop reading so forgive if its been said.

It's been 5 games.

Some of you have "everyone must be as good as Dougie" in their minds.

Boy are we spoiled. (thats a good thing).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BlankStares' comment:

It's been 5 games.

How long should Bourque be given to find his game in a 48 game season before someone else gets an opportunity.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

Ryder would take too much to get back. He scored 35 goals last season and is off to a good start this season.

Why would Dallas give him up ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

First of all, your condescending tone is not needed.   Secondly, you cant knock someone off the puck who you cant catch.  I live in Providence, Spooner skates right around people, just like Krejci did in his breakout season.  Krejci is 6'0 - 180 lbs.  Spooner is 5'10 - 175 lbs. Which one do you think would be harder to knock off the puck?

The reason they dont call him up is because he's not defensively responsible.  However, shifting to wing may help this.  Granted, he would never forecheck and have trouble in the dirty areas.  However, his stick handling, agility, one-on-one moves, passing is something to be excited about.  Maybe he isnt ready.  I agree that he could use 20 lbs on his frame.  However, Im only advocating for giving him a shot to see what he can do if the third line needs a spark.  He is a spark.

Nor is your list of players under 6 feet at all necessary. Your living in Prov doesn't mean you have some secret info on Spooner and the P-B's. It only means you've gotten too close and developed a man crush on Spooner. Of course Krejci would be harder to knock off of the puck because he's been fully grown for years and been privvy to the coaches and training that are needed to develop the proper core strength needed to compete. I'll conclude by pointing out that it was you who also felt that Bourque was some a real gem that might also produce when frankly, he can't even match Zach Hamill's NHL numbers, despite the fact he was given far more PP time to work with. So I hope you'll forgive me for not buying into the Spooner fantasy that you're trying to sell us.

[/QUOTE]

I am not claiming to have secret info on him.  You are the one going against conventional wisdom , not me.  Both hockey journal and Hockey's future have him ranked as our #1 offensive prospect.

Maybe he isnt ready.  But he tore up the OHL and is doing well in the AHL.  He should be considered for a shot and not ruled out as an internal option based solely on his size.  

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/Bruins_2012-13_preseason_prospect_rankings-_10-1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Ryder would take too much to get back. He scored 35 goals last season and is off to a good start this season.

They flirted with parting with him last year, when they were in playoff contention.  They have not looked good this year (despite Ryder playing well).  If they fall out of contention, they may look to make a youth movement.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BlankStares' comment:

It's been 5 games.

How long should Bourque be given to find his game in a 48 game season before someone else gets an opportunity.

Exactly.....if teams have to make decisions about their junior player in 6 games it seems adequete to also judge a career AHLer by the same standard.....just my opinion. By game 10 if he is still racking up the minuses and pointless he will be long gone.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

They flirted with parting with him last year, when they were in playoff contention.  They have not looked good this year (despite Ryder playing well).  If they fall out of contention, they may look to make a youth movement.

No Dallas did not look to move Ryder he was one of their leading scorers and in the hunt for a playoff spot. Youth movement ? not even close they signed Whitney and Jagr this past summer.

Chiarelli is not going bring someone back after sending an email out to every GM in 2010 and 2011 stating "Ryder is available".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I am not claiming to have secret info on him.  You are the one going against conventional wisdom , not me.  Both hockey journal and Hockey's future have him ranked as our #1 offensive prospect.

Maybe he isnt ready.  But he tore up the OHL and is doing well in the AHL.  He should be considered for a shot and not ruled out as an internal option based solely on his size.  

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/Bruins_2012-13_preseason_prospect_rankings-_10-1

[/QUOTE]

I too would like to see him get a shot. But is he stronger and has his defensive game improved ?

When he left the OHL he had too many things to get better at. ( Defense and get stronger being the two main ones ) His skating and offensive ability are not enough for him to make the jump alone to stay there.

P.S. Tearing up the OHL is false. He was a good player though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

We won't know if Spooner is ready or not until he gets a shot. Seeing as how Bourque is a career AHLer who is having zero success in the NHL - why not bring up Spooner?

This team is good enough defensively and offensively to allow a rookie like Spooner to have his shot without hurting the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[/QUOTE]

Write them a letter with your thoughts then. I also highly doubt any of the articles you're basing your knowledge on have suggested he'd make a good 3rd line winger. Spooner also never "tore up" the OHL and he's not doing that in the AHL. You know we can all see the stats right? I got to see some of Spooner's CHL games on TV so again, you're not telling me about a player I'm unfamiliar with. Did you know that the term "conventional wisdom" was coined in reference to convenient beliefs. Conventional wisdom is wrong more often than not so I have no problems opposing it. Commonly held misconceptions are misconceptions nonetheless.

William Safire the noted columnist in Safire's Political Dictionary (p. 149) wrote his own brief definition, "Generally accepted, but often shortsighted conceptions; stodgy consensus subject to sharp changes of vogue opinion." He believes the phrase is derivative of a clerical phrase, received wisdom, which is often also used pejoratively as meaning ideas passed down from authority that have been accepted, but really need a thorough review.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

We won't know if Spooner is ready or not until he gets a shot. Seeing as how Bourque is a career AHLer who is having zero success in the NHL - why not bring up Spooner?

This team is good enough defensively and offensively to allow a rookie like Spooner to have his shot without hurting the team.

My thoughts exactly Biss. Also, Macdermid has been a scratch all year. He will eventually get into the roster one way or another. I would like to see what he can do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Marchand's first 20 games with the B's:  1 assist

Next season

Marchand's first 8 games:  1 assist.

Let's hold off on skewering Bourque until he gets more than five games for the team, huh?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Where did you hear/read Dallas flirted with parting with Ryder?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Where did you hear/read Dallas flirted with parting with Ryder?

I remember reading a lot of speculation that he was available at last years deadline.  I dont have "sources" or inside info.  It could have merely been a reporter making a bold speculation.  Not sure if it was coming from the Stars directly.

Usually, when teams underperform and fall out of playoff contention, they make their 30+ yr old players available.  Ryder would net a large return.  If teh stars continue to struggle, they may make him available.  I wasnt being 100% serious with my comment.

However, I am very serious, that if he is available, the B's should kick the tires.  There was no bad blood when he left.  We were looking to resign him.  He received an offer that we didnt feel like we should match, so we wished him well.  I wouldnt consider him a burnt bridge or anything.

He played very well with Krejci.  He was always good in the postseason.  He scored 35 goals last year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Next season

Let's hold off on skewering Bourque until he gets more than five games for the team, huh?

Oh yeah, it's super sensible to compare Marchand's rookie year as a 21 year old to to the 27 year old Bourque's 7th season of pro hockey. Poor Chris Bourque. All he needs is a chance. He can do it. Wow, are you ever flailing. This used to be fun. Now it's just sad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Write them a letter with your thoughts then. I also highly doubt any of the articles you're basing your knowledge on have suggested he'd make a good 3rd line winger. Spooner also never "tore up" the OHL and he's not doing that in the AHL. You know we can all see the stats right? I got to see some of Spooner's CHL games on TV so again, you're not telling me about a player I'm unfamiliar with. Did you know that the term "conventional wisdom" was coined in reference to convenient beliefs. Conventional wisdom is wrong more often than not so I have no problems opposing it. Commonly held misconceptions are misconceptions nonetheless.

William Safire the noted columnist in Safire's Political Dictionary (p. 149) wrote his own brief definition, "Generally accepted, but often shortsighted conceptions; stodgy consensus subject to sharp changes of vogue opinion." He believes the phrase is derivative of a clerical phrase, received wisdom, which is often also used pejoratively as meaning ideas passed down from authority that have been accepted, but really need a thorough review.

[/QUOTE]

Im not claiming to know more than you or anyone else.  ANother poster wrote that Bourque should have a longer leash because we dont really have any forward prospects worth calling up.  I was disagreeing with this notion, as I think we have some pretty good forward prospects.  Spooner , Knight, Sauve, Caron.  Of course its posible that Sauve and Spooner arent ready.  They both have things they need to work on.  Im just saying that if the third line needs a spark, lets try one of ou rintriguing prospects. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

But im also okay with continuing w Bourque.  I dont think hes been that bad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Im not claiming to know more than you or anyone else.  ANother poster wrote that Bourque should have a longer leash because we dont really have any forward prospects worth calling up.  I was disagreeing with this notion, as I think we have some pretty good forward prospects.  Spooner , Knight, Sauve, Caron.  Of course its posible that Sauve and Spooner arent ready.  They both have things they need to work on.  Im just saying that if the third line needs a spark, lets try one of ou rintriguing prospects. 

[/QUOTE]

Drew, sorry I've been a jerk. I should've just told you straight out that I'm also a big Spooner fan and I look forward to his NHL debut. I'm just more trusting in PC's ability to know when the timing is right to call up a young player. I can't even count the number of threads that have popped up in the past few years regarding PC/CJ's handling of young players and in almost every case, it seems the right decisions were made after all. The point being Drew, Spooner is probably first in line if DK or Bergeron need time off. He's a top line center so that's likely who he'd be replacing if he's called up. Let wingers play on the wings.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Ryder would net a large return"

Oh boy!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Drew, sorry I've been a jerk. I should've just told you straight out that I'm also a big Spooner fan and I look forward to his NHL debut. I'm just more trusting in PC's ability to know when the timing is right to call up a young player. I can't even count the number of threads that have popped up in the past few years regarding PC/CJ's handling of young players and in almost every case, it seems the right decisions were made after all. The point being Drew, Spooner is probably first in line if DK or Bergeron need time off. He's a top line center so that's likely who he'd be replacing if he's called up. Let wingers play on the wings.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for saying that.  I havent been here much over the last year, but if I was, I would have been trumpeting PC like Ive been doing since 20009.  I remember a couple of years ago, when the majority of this board was against PC.  Spouting some nonsense like we need a concussed ex player and not a "Harvard suit" (they really held his intelligence against him)!  This is a much more sophisticated board these days

I only chimed in because one poster said we didnt have much depth, another poster chimed in that Macdermind was the best we could do, and then a third poster said, "oh stick w bourque then".

We have minor league depth, Macdermind is being groomed to be Thorntons eventual replacement and is certainly not the extent of our ability to provide offensive spark from Providence. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Thank you for saying that.  I havent been here much over the last year, but if I was, I would have been trumpeting PC like Ive been doing since 20009.  I remember a couple of years ago, when the majority of this board was against PC.  Spouting some nonsense like we need a concussed ex player and not a "Harvard suit" (they really held his intelligence against him)!  This is a much more sophisticated board these days

I only chimed in because one poster said we didnt have much depth, another poster chimed in that Macdermind was the best we could do, and then a third poster said, "oh stick w bourque then".

We have minor league depth, Macdermind is being groomed to be Thorntons eventual replacement and is certainly not the extent of our ability to provide offensive spark from Providence. 

[/QUOTE]

Stick around and you'll read any number of crazy things Drew..........tonight even. Bourque will probably score tonight actually since it's his birthday. It seems to happen a lot. Cheers! Go Bruins!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Next season

Oh yeah, it's super sensible to compare Marchand's rookie year as a 21 year old to to the 27 year old Bourque's 7th season of pro hockey. Poor Chris Bourque. All he needs is a chance. He can do it. Wow, are you ever flailing. This used to be fun. Now it's just sad.

I was about to post this same thing (without a dig at NAS as others have suggested similar as well).  Great minds think alike I guess.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why the hell is Bourque on the shootout team?

This reminds me of when Kasper put Ben Walter out there.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

But im also okay with continuing w Bourque.  I dont think hes been that bad.

He's better than Caron, but I'm starting to think my preference for bourque is simply because he plays more up-tempo... He certainly isn't producing more. It was painful to watch Caron lethargically lunk around the ice and do absolutely nothing; at least with Bourque you can see he's trying.

But at some point, you need to find guys that are going to contribute. Zero points and -4 isn't gonna cut it. I like the kid, but when you're a cup contender, it's just too risky to have a kid taking a regular shift because the fans like his last name. Our third line needs to be a scoring threat because our top two lines have too many off-days. The Bruins win because they are deep, and right now Bouque is not helping. Poliout was much better.

I'm fine with giving him a few more games, but we're gonna have to shake that line up if he continues to give us nothing. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Why the hell is Bourque on the shootout team?

This reminds me of when Kasper put Ben Walter out there.

Yes, I cringed too.  But I think there's a method to CJ's madness.  Last year he did the same thing with Benoit saying that he put him in a position where it wasn't completely his fault if they lost, but could put them in a position to win.  He said it was a confidence builder.  It worked with Benoit and I think he's tried it twice with Bourque but no results.

I'm thnking it's already time to pull the plug on him.  Even Zach showed the occasional whiff of something that might be NHL, like a really sweet pass.  Same with Caron & Marchand registering a nice shot or pass or something that said they had potential.  The only thing I've seen out of Bourque is hustle and I don't think that can translate to the NHL like it does in the AHL.

To me Bourque is looking like one of those guys with 'career minor leaguer' tatood on his forehead.

Sections
Shortcuts