Patrice Bergeron wins King Clancy Memorial Trophy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Patrice Bergeron wins King Clancy Memorial Trophy

Matt Pepin, Boston.com Staff

"Bruins center Patrice Bergeron won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy, the NHL announced Friday at the first of two awards programs it is holding this weekend.

The King Clancy is given to a player for both leadership on and off the ice and humanitarian contributions in his community.

Bergeron's "Patrice's Pals" program brings hospital patients and children's groups to TD Garden to watch Bruins games from a luxury suite.

“It means a lot, it's a huge honor," Bergeron said via a team press release. "Obviously, any time you have the chance to help out the community, it's something that speaks a lot to me and I want to do. ... I like to lead by example and just work as hard as I can on and off the ice and help whoever I can.”

Bergeron was also a finalist for the Selke Trophy for best two-way player, and teammate Adam McQuaid was a finalist for the Masterton Trophy for dedication to hockey. Chicago's Jonathan Toews won the Selke and Minnesota goalie Josh Harding won the Masterton.

The NHL will announce its major awards, including MVP and best goalie, Saturday before Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Patrice Bergeron wins King Clancy Memorial Trophy

Good honour for him, was hoping he'd get both though Toews isn't undeserving (though Bergeron was my pick)

And if Harding never won the Masterton I was going to throw a fit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Bergeron is a class act. People know it.

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Yay Bergeron!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Bergeron is a class act. People know it.

Yeppers

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Good honour for him, was hoping he'd get both though Toews isn't undeserving (though Bergeron was my pick)

I wanted him to win the Selke as well, hard to argue with Toews though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[QUOTE]

I wanted him to win the Selke as well, hard to argue with Toews though.

[/QUOTE]

That Selke vote was wacky though Kel. Bergeron loses by only 10 points while Seguin and Kadri actually garnered votes. It's as if some writers decided to vote for their buddies. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

today's NHL writers are a cluless bunch. Bergeron should win the Selke every year, but I'm glad that he picked up the Clancy honor. Is there anything Patrice hasn't done as far as being the perfect player---clutch on offense, superb on defense, terrific faceoff guy, overcomes head injuries, humanitarian, all-around good guy---he's the model of what a professional athlete should be. I dare say in some respects he's greater than Tom Brady, not as an athlete or from a complete success standpoint, but certainly as a model athlete.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The double would have been nice.