Patrick Kane Sorry For Party-Hard Past

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Patrick Kane Sorry For Party-Hard Past

It appears the supremely talented Patrick Kane has done some self-reflection.  And maturing.  Maybe one day down the road Seguin will say something similar.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/01/emotional-kaner-apologizes-for-party-hard-past

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Patrick Kane Sorry For Party-Hard Past

I'm glad he figured it out before it's too late.  Too many people don't.  Like I tell my teenagers, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's good for you.  Those of you on this board who are in law enforcement have probably seen more than you care to remember of the ills of over drinking.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

This is why I was hesitant about the Seguin trade...

How many people in the history of the world can party at 28 like they did at 21?

Everyone slows down and when Seguin does, he's going to be unbelievable probably...

Not saying I hate getting better right now with Eriksson, but one day, Seguin will stop partying; it's inevitable.  And when he does, we are all going to be pissed...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.bostonsportsbuzz.com

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

The problem with the Seguin situation is that the Bruins asked him repeatedly to change his ways, and he didn't.  Employerss who are shelling out that kind of dough generally have high expectations of an employee not only from a performance perspective, but from a character one as well.  Seguin forced his way out of town, there is no doubt about that.  Yeah, he'll probably be an above average goal scorer someday, but the B's didn't want to wait because they were tired of babysitting him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to mannyortez3424's comment:

This is why I was hesitant about the Seguin trade...

How many people in the history of the world can party at 28 like they did at 21?

Everyone slows down and when Seguin does, he's going to be unbelievable probably...

Not saying I hate getting better right now with Eriksson, but one day, Seguin will stop partying; it's inevitable.  And when he does, we are all going to be pissed...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.bostonsportsbuzz.com

I don't think I've ever really bought the argument that his most recent shortcomings on the ice were a result of too much partying/drinking.

I think that after three years, most players have shown what they're gonna be for the most part.  I think Seguin is supremely talented but is also missing something in his game that we can't quite place.  Certainly the immaturity and partying may contribute to what has been missing for him, but I don't think that is a big part of it.  If he stops drinking in Dallas, I don't think you suddenly get better instincts, better net drive, better playoff scoring, or whatever.  I hope Seguin grows up, but I think he was traded largely because of shortcomings on the ice, not just partying.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever really bought the argument that his most recent shortcomings on the ice were a result of too much partying/drinking.

I think that after three years, most players have shown what they're gonna be for the most part.  I think Seguin is supremely talented but is also missing something in his game that we can't quite place.  Certainly the immaturity and partying may contribute to what has been missing for him, but I don't think that is a big part of it.  If he stops drinking in Dallas, I don't think you suddenly get better instincts, better net drive, better playoff scoring, or whatever.  I hope Seguin grows up, but I think he was traded largely because of shortcomings on the ice, not just partying.  

[/QUOTE]

I dunno Fletch.  His overall body of work for his first 3 years was actually pretty good - aside from this year's playoffs.  And at only 21, there's reasonable expectation that he will improve in the next few years as well.

And if you happened to catch Neely's radio interview with Felger and Mazz (Crowls posted a link), his tone leaned more towards frustration than anything else due to the fact they had to speak to him so often.  And when PC says he needs to be more "professional" that's a lot different than saying he needs to be better.  

In the end, he's gone now - and you're right, probably due to a combination of both factors.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Partying didn't slow Kane down in the scoring dept, point producing and as long as he shows up then produces i'm fine. As my Navy Master Chief used to say to me "If your going too hoot with the owles all night, you'd better be able to soar with eagles in morning!".

Neely used to party all over Boston with Byers and Moog but when the bell wrang, Cam showed up. When it gets to that point where there is a meeting with management it's time to stop.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

[/QUOTE]

I dunno Fletch.  His overall body of work for his first 3 years was actually pretty good - aside from this year's playoffs.  And at only 21, there's reasonable expectation that he will improve in the next few years as well.

And if you happened to catch Neely's radio interview with Felger and Mazz (Crowls posted a link), his tone leaned more towards frustration than anything else due to the fact they had to speak to him so often.  And when PC says he needs to be more "professional" that's a lot different than saying he needs to be better.  

In the end, he's gone now - and you're right, probably due to a combination of both factors.

[/QUOTE]

All good points.  I certainly agree that Seguin was very good -- I am only talking about "what's missing" in terms of the outright star potential we had hoped for.  I also agree that Neely certainly seemed frustrated with the kid and the all indications are that partying was a big part of the reason the B's dealt him.

I just don't know if we can assume that drinking is the primary thing holding him back from being a better player.  I'm sure it would help, but how much?  Watching him in the playoffs this year, I saw a player with a ton of skill who didn't seem strong on the puck at times, didn't seem creative at times, didn't seem to raise his game when it was needed, and generally seemed very predictable on the rush (to the point that any of the Hawks 6 d-men could stop him).  

I'm just not sure that being clean and sober fixes these things.  I think it's possible that he is more or less the player that we have seen.  Still, I expect that he will get better with more years under his belt, more muscle, more maturity etc.  But I would guess that his ceiling is not what we once thought and that Chiarelli would not have given up on him if it was.

I think he'll be around a point-per game player in Dallas, but will still suffer from the same limitations that we saw in Boston.  Good, maybe very good, not great.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

All true Fletch and it will be intersting to see what he can do with first line minutes and on the first PP unit.  If he lights it up for 50 this year we'll always be able to say "Yeah, but he wasn't gonna do that here"!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

All true Fletch and it will be intersting to see what he can do with first line minutes and on the first PP unit.  If he lights it up for 50 this year we'll always be able to say "Yeah, but he wasn't gonna do that here"!!

No kidding.  That will smart a little.

But I will try to evaluate the trade based not on what Seguin does after Boston, but based on the comparison of Eriksson/Smith/Morrow/Fraser/capspace vs. Seguin.  I like our odds...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Partying didn't slow Kane down in the scoring dept, point producing and as long as he shows up then produces i'm fine. As my Navy Master Chief used to say to me "If your going too hoot with the owles all night, you'd better be able to soar with eagles in morning!".

Neely used to party all over Boston with Byers and Moog but when the bell wrang, Cam showed up. When it gets to that point where there is a meeting with management it's time to stop.

Hadnt heard that one.  My dads retired navy vet who always used the "its hard to fly with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys". 

I think the kane seguin comparision is close.  Seguin didnt assault a cab driver though.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

From what I understand kane always liked to party, from high school on. Seguin, again from what I understand didnt start partying until the summer they won the cup. That, if true, is pretty significant and poses a different kind of problem.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

From what I understand kane always liked to party, from high school on. Seguin, again from what I understand didnt start partying until the summer they won the cup. That, if true, is pretty significant and poses a different kind of problem.

Its like the smart kids in school who never drink, go to university and drop out at christmas bc they become booze hounds.   Balance in life.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Hadnt heard that one.  My dads retired navy vet who always used the "its hard to fly with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys". 

I think the kane seguin comparision is close.  Seguin didnt assault a cab driver though. 

Yah I heard the Canadian Navy still keeps Turkeys on their wooden ships, Is that true ?

Is your war with Iceland over yet ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Patrick Kane beat Denis Seidenberg a couple times and is the Conn Smythe hero in the playoffs.  Now Chicago and Patrick can toot his horn.  Yawn.  Seguin is not going to be bashed, but he was to be another high end superstar.  Taylor and Tyler have not met Stamkos's production.  Seguin was traded, I think sadly so, but given the cap pressures: learning curve disappointments, and a huge contract next year, the move is justified.  Patrick Kane and Tyler may just mirror each other with potential. The reality is  Dallas is not close to be a Stanley Cup winner, Patrick Kane could win another cause he is on the right team.  Good luck Tyler with that simple fact. 

A scientific theory should be as simple as possible, but no simpler. -- Albert Einstein

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Its like the smart kids in school who never drink, go to university and drop out at christmas bc they become booze hounds.   Balance in life.  

I remember those guys well.  Not only was I not a smart kid, but I grew up in a small Massachusetts town where kids start drinking around 14, standing around a fire in the woods with Led Zeppelin blaring from someone's Camaro...maybe a little dry humping some tart against a tree if all goes well...you know...the way it should be.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I remember those guys well.  Not only was I not a smart kid, but I grew up in a small Massachusetts town where kids start drinking around 14, standing around a fire in the woods with Led Zeppelin blaring from someone's Camaro...maybe a little dry humping some tart against a tree if all goes well...you know...the way it should be.

Throw in some Brador and for no particular reason sour cream and onion chips and BAM!  My teen years from 16 to 18. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Yup!  And it would seem when you consistently don't listen to the words of club brass, you're gone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The problem with the Seguin situation is that the Bruins asked him repeatedly to change his ways, and he didn't.  Employerss who are shelling out that kind of dough generally have high expectations of an employee not only from a performance perspective, but from a character one as well.  Seguin forced his way out of town, there is no doubt about that. Yeah, he'll probably be an above average goal scorer someday, but the B's didn't want to wait because they were tired of babysitting him.

hang, it appears Seguin perhaps wasn't willing or able to address his situation prompting the Bruins to shift him.  In your opinion why do you think the Hawks were inclined to stay the course with Kane? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

[QUOTE]

The problem with the Seguin situation is that the Bruins asked him repeatedly to change his ways, and he didn't.  Employerss who are shelling out that kind of dough generally have high expectations of an employee not only from a performance perspective, but from a character one as well.  Seguin forced his way out of town, there is no doubt about that. Yeah, he'll probably be an above average goal scorer someday, but the B's didn't want to wait because they were tired of babysitting him.

hang, it appears Seguin perhaps wasn't willing or able to address his situation prompting the Bruins to shift him.  In your opinion why do you think the Hawks were inclined to stay the course with Kane? 

[/QUOTE]

Who knows RHO.  His cabbie assault took place in August of '09 and he signed his 5 year extension in December of '09.  Maybe the team used his expiring contract as leverage to "shape up or ship out".  More likely though, the Hawks knew that they wanted him on their team despite his shortcomings off the ice...something that can't be said about the B's and TS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Throw in some Brador and for no particular reason sour cream and onion chips and BAM!  My teen years from 16 to 18. 

Those chips sound good RHO...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Hadnt heard that one.  My dads retired navy vet who always used the "its hard to fly with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys". 

Yah I heard the Canadian Navy still keeps Turkeys on their wooden ships, Is that true ?

[/QUOTE]

You need to read more.  Canada has never lost any war its been involved with.  you guys win vietnam yet?  Im very proud of our military and what Canada stands for.   we can get by with wooden ships bc we dont feel the need to destroy other countries.  I can where my flag anywhere with pride.  How about you?   :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Thats exactly it fletch.  the dry humping of a tart made me spit out my coffee.   I bet you were the voice of reason doing it as well.  Haha.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Hadnt heard that one.  My dads retired navy vet who always used the "its hard to fly with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys". 

[/QUOTE]

You need to read more.  Canada has never lost any war its been involved with.  you guys win vietnam yet?  Im very proud of our military and what Canada stands for.   we can get by with wooden ships bc we dont feel the need to destroy other countries.  I can where my flag anywhere with pride.  How about you?   :-)

[/QUOTE]

Jeezus, you're an antagonistic SOB this summer.  You're wading into some topics you shouldn't, but I'll take the high road...

*wear*

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thats exactly it fletch.  the dry humping of a tart made me spit out my coffee.   I bet you were the voice of reason doing it as well.  Haha.  

Chicks loved my reasoning...

Sections
Shortcuts