PC: "Bruins Trending Away From That [Fisticuffs] Style."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

PC: "Bruins Trending Away From That [Fisticuffs] Style."

Interesting quote by PC here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=454647

Wonder if he means that with not re-signing Thornton and moving McQuaid or in the sense of getting away from the rough stuff entirely. Last time the B's tried this (the Milbury era) it took them a decade to recover....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: PC:

Yeah, I think toughness and accountability are pretty important to the fanbase too, but I assume that isn't really what he's talking about.  

I actually think this is Act I in the Bruins PR recovery plan.  For a really good team to get the least powerplays in the league is still kind of mind-boggling.  I think the brass needs to move away from the league's "we have a Bruins problem" perception.  The team that plays like the schoolyard bully isn't going to get as many powerplays, and seems to generally draw an unsympathetic eye from referees.

I think and hope the toughness stays, but the bully reputation that the Bruins have been branded with could change.  They could strand to lose some of that nonsense anyhow.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Yeah, I think toughness and accountability are pretty important to the fanbase too, but I assume that isn't really what he's talking about.  

I actually think this is Act I in the Bruins PR recovery plan.  For a really good team to get the least powerplays in the league is still kind of mind-boggling.  I think the brass needs to move away from the league's "we have a Bruins problem" perception.  The team that plays like the schoolyard bully isn't going to get as many powerplays, and seems to generally draw an unsympathetic eye from referees.

I think and hope the toughness stays, but the bully reputation that the Bruins have been branded with could change.  They could strand to lose some of that nonsense anyhow.

Yeah i agree with you.  How does the team with the best record and a puck possesion team get the least pp.  

I think the clowns are gone. People loved the water bottle incident but that junior 'c' stuff along with his non-fighting code likely has him leaving town.  

McQ isnt a terrible player.  I think hes a good bottom pairing willing to throw down.  

I never liked the bully antics.  I like hard hockey between the whistles.  I like angry fights not staged dumb dumb fights.  I want the physical aspect similar to the Kings.  I dont see them brawling teams.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Yeah i agree with you.  How does the team with the best record and a puck possesion team get the least pp.  

I think the clowns are gone. People loved the water bottle incident but that junior 'c' stuff along with his non-fighting code likely has him leaving town.  

McQ isnt a terrible player.  I think hes a good bottom pairing willing to throw down.  

I never liked the bully antics.  I like hard hockey between the whistles.  I like angry fights not staged dumb dumb fights.  I want the physical aspect similar to the Kings.  I dont see them brawling teams.  

Being tougher is useless on the ice if it's not going to be shoved in the other team's faces. There's nothing wrong with being tough and daring the opponent to do something about it. Before anyone asks, I don't believe Thornton and his antics scare anyone anymore.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

This is exactly how I feel.  I dont think it's just the Bruins trending away from that style, i think its the game/league in general progressing toward that.  I like a good hockey fight.  But if its a 'hey man, you wanna go?' then thats lame.  I like seeing teammates stick up for eachother (A la McQuaid beating the snot out of Torres two years ago) or just a good old angry 'i dont like you, you dont like me' kinda fight.  I feel like you have that in players like Lucic, McQuaid (if hes here next year) Miller, and even Iginla if necessary. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah that is all McQuaid is for, the "tough stuff". With Adam on the ice for his defense and him jumping Scott then throw in his great cap hit - his worth is more than his fists.

Name some playoff blunders for McQuaid that Miller had ?

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Do you think people really liked the water bottle spray from Thornton?  I'm pretty pro-Bruin and I hated it.

I even stick up for Lucic's muscle-flexing given the context -- Pk Subban taunting the entire bench between whistles when he knows darn well he wouldn't go toe-to-toe with anyone.  Lucic responding by sarcastically flexing his muscle seems like fair game from me.  Who's being 'disrespectful' there?

But Thornton was definitely out of bounds.  I mean, I didn't think it was a huge deal, but you can't have players squirting water at people during game action, and it just seemed childish.  That type of stuff definitely catches up with you.  This is where you'll probably disagree with me shupe, but I thought Gallagher got away with a whole lot more than Marchand in that series, and the reason has to be the reputation factor.  Marchand has a bad reputation, and it seems like more and more, the Bruins do too.  I truly think that it is a primary reason why the Bruins get less powerplays than other teams.

Watching the Rangers deal with the Habs persistent diving and nonsense was eye opening frankly.  Just beat them.  That's toughness too.

The Bruins have some PR work to do.  The tough and honest thing is something that is only believed right now in New England.  Everyone else sees sucker punches, bullying, water bottle squirts, sticks to the crotch, and bad handshake etiquette.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Yah that is all McQuaid is for, the "tough stuff". With Adam on the ice for his defense and him jumping Scott then throw his great cap hit - his worth is more than his fists.

Name some playoff blunders for McQuaid that Miller had ?

I don't think of McQuaid as a bully either.  In fact, he seems more like the 'speak softly but carry a big stick' type.

He's there to play hockey and he's good enough to do it (5-6 pairing).

I don't recall him starting a fight without a good reason, and he fights angry.  He fights when he should.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And fights with a crazy cool smile LoL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Thats actually an excellent point. How on earth can a team with the best record in the league and with the 4rth best puck possession numbers have the fewest pp's?

That seems almost comically impossible considering penalties are usually called on the team without the puck.

That's just nuts....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

No kidding.  Anger and violence delivered with a smile is a creepy thing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Be tough.  Leave the after the whistle stupidity behind.  Leave the rat tactics behind.  Leave the clown behind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

No kidding.  Anger and violence delivered with a smile is a creepy thing.

Remember Reid Simpson? He used to laugh hysterically when engaging.....just a complete nut job. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Thats actually an excellent point. How on earth can a team with the best record in the league and with the 4rth best puck possession numbers have the fewest pp's?

That seems almost comically impossible considering penalties are usually called on the team without the puck.

That's just nuts....

Well according to Canucklehead "Embellishment City" author Machiavelli, the Bruins are goons and they shouldn't be able to draw penalties nor be put on them.

It is crazy that the Bs don't get more penalties...maybe add Plekanec. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

It is crazy that the Bs don't get more penalties...maybe add Plekanec. 

Maybe Marchand for Gallagher straight up :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I think there's a better than average chance that that comment is aimed at Lucic.  Fat's old school.  Look the guy in the eye and tell him you're going to carve up his giblets unless he thinks he's tough enough to do something about it. 

I think the difference is sort of the difference between an SAS/SEAL/Spetsnaz kind of tough and a "man, I love Sons of Anarchy" kind of tough.  In 2011, they were special forces - no nonsense, just impose your will cleanly and efficiently except in very special circumstances.  In 2014, they were Sons of Anarchy tough.  Tough, sure, but putting it on like a costume.  It wasn't real.  It was a show.  I mean in the playoffs....in the regular season, when they were on, they were a meat grinder, but this is one of many lines they crossed going the wrong way in the playoffs.

Let the Flyers be that team.  The Kings aren't really that different than the Bruins - minus the fighting - so it's not like that comment means we're heading into an era of silky soft Sequins.  Just be more business like; channel your aggression more effectively.

This is really a descriptive rather than predictive statement, though.  Adding Smith and Eriksson and Soderberg doesn't necessarily make you less strong, but they aren't "fisticuffs" bullies.  And the prospects are almost all small if they have anything like NHL skill.

Are you not entertained?!?!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The thing i like about McQuaid as well is that his fights aren't staged,he drops the mitts because he's either mad or has been challenged.I also like the fact he doesn't pat the opposing player on the bum when he's done throwing them.Adam is a good 5-6 guy,has played well in the playoffs before and scored the goal that knocked the Pens out last year.Might be a tough call for PC,McQuaid or Miller.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Miller's a great story from last year - on a team that started the season wondering how it was going to accommodate three young, NHL ready D-men, he became the 4th memeber of that group and often was the most professional.  A completely unanticipated success story.

But he's the 7th D-man.  I assume Bartkowski will be moved for something, and with a healthy Seidenberg, you have Chara-Hamilton, Seidenberg-Boychuk, Krug-McQuaid.

I'm pretty comfortable with that and with Miller rotating in.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Miller's a great story from last year - on a team that started the season wondering how it was going to accommodate three young, NHL ready D-men, he became the 4th memeber of that group and often was the most professional.  A completely unanticipated success story.

But he's the 7th D-man.  I assume Bartkowski will be moved for something, and with a healthy Seidenberg, you have Chara-Hamilton, Seidenberg-Boychuk, Krug-McQuaid.

Im really torn on McQuaid. Im a big fan of his, but the guy gets injured so freaking often now.  Miller earned that spot with his play and maturity, he stepped right in and shined in that spot, but I still think McQuaid is slightly better, if for nothing else because of having a couple more years under his belt.

I dont know.

Flip a coin on those two, pick one and I'll be happy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

What I want to stay:

tough play in between the whistles 

tough play after the whistle to an extent

beating the crap out of a guy that throws a dirty hit.

flexing and screaming "get stronger."

what lucic said in the hand shake. 

Hockey players that can fight 

What I want to leave:

tough guy vs tough guy "wanna go" fights.

Shawn thornton

fighters that can play hockey

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

A little bit OT, but reading that TSN piece, the real eye-opener for me was that there's speculation Adam Larsson might bolt back to Sweden.  Ain't that a kick in the groin for Jersey two years after they broke the bank to get Kovalchuk and he chose to quit and go home?  Now their former #2 overall pick might go at the same time as the last link to their glory days (on ice anyway) is likely to put on another team's jersey for the first time?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Miller sucked baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllsssssssssssssss in the playoffs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Do you think people really liked the water bottle spray from Thornton?  I'm pretty pro-Bruin and I hated it.

I even stick up for Lucic's muscle-flexing given the context -- Pk Subban taunting the entire bench between whistles when he knows darn well he wouldn't go toe-to-toe with anyone.  Lucic responding by sarcastically flexing his muscle seems like fair game from me.  Who's being 'disrespectful' there?

But Thornton was definitely out of bounds.  I mean, I didn't think it was a huge deal, but you can't have players squirting water at people during game action, and it just seemed childish.  That type of stuff definitely catches up with you.  This is where you'll probably disagree with me shupe, but I thought Gallagher got away with a whole lot more than Marchand in that series, and the reason has to be the reputation factor.  Marchand has a bad reputation, and it seems like more and more, the Bruins do too.  I truly think that it is a primary reason why the Bruins get less powerplays than other teams.

Watching the Rangers deal with the Habs persistent diving and nonsense was eye opening frankly.  Just beat them.  That's toughness too.

The Bruins have some PR work to do.  The tough and honest thing is something that is only believed right now in New England.  Everyone else sees sucker punches, bullying, water bottle squirts, sticks to the crotch, and bad handshake etiquette.

I wasnt singling you out.  Just read some on here thought it was cool.  Taunting the bench and going toe to toe i dont really get.  Patrick Kane is as skilled as can be.  Has done more goal scoring celebrations then anyone in the league and talks to benches.  Hes not gonna go toe to toe either.  He does between the whistles.  Some of the best players in the world taunt.  Ie doughty.  I dont mind that so much.  I just hate looking at pk bc hes so animated.  

I think you are right about the Bruins pr.  But ive been saying its gonna catch up.  Dates back a while when AF gives the Habs crowd the finger.  Its not wrestling.  

As for Gallagher.  Hes gonna get his head taken off.  Mark my words he will be injured before long.  And i do agree with you on his getting away with more.  

The one player on the habs that really disappointed me was plekanec.  I always considered him a poor mans bergie bc he played pretty honest.  But his diving was brutal. 

I love how the kings play.  Would have loved to see the bruins face them.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Late posting lately on threads, totally agree on the "tough" does not mean fighting only.  Tough is handling the corner work, working hard to gain the puck, withstanding punishment in front of the net, and lastly sticking up for a teammate when a foul has been done.  It is why I liked Ference.  It is why I like McQuaid.  It is why I like Lucic ( a snarl to let another player know don't hit Krejci).  PC was letting the press know Thornton is not on the team next year.  

"Don't judge me monkey" 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

A little bit OT, but reading that TSN piece, the real eye-opener for me was that there's speculation Adam Larsson might bolt back to Sweden.  Ain't that a kick in the groin for Jersey two years after they broke the bank to get Kovalchuk and he chose to quit and go home?  Now their former #2 overall pick might go at the same time as the last link to their glory days (on ice anyway) is likely to put on another team's jersey for the first time?

4th overall pick. And I thought he was the steal of the draft 

Sections
Shortcuts