PC confirms Subban off limits!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Re: PC confirms Subban off limits!

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

PC also said "we're not trading phil kessel."

I don't recall this at all. Please refresh my memory with a link.

P.S. An honest request

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2009/09/04/chiarelli-carves-out-his-position-on-kessel/

Here is a link I found!

“Hey, if you’re pushed toward the cap, you’re in a position where you have to balance it even more. That’s the position that we’re in. I’ve said publicly and I’ll say it again that I want Phil to be on our team. And I’ll do everything I can do to put him on our team, within reason, with the balance that I’m talking about. If it means moving players, I’ll do it. If it means matching offer sheets I’ll do it.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think "PC is a good GM" means that he doesn't want to trade Subban; that Subban has developed as well or better than they'd hoped (despite a less than dynamite WJHC), and that they don't see the opportunity to draft a goaltender who could be Rask's planned successor any time in the next couple of years.  I think it means that he is not, generally, a game player, and I assume his GM colleagues know who is slippery and who is straight.  All of which means that if Feaster feels he has to have Subban for Iginla, say, he will now look elsewhere OR he will have to re-think what he's willing to take OR figure out a way to incent PC to go back on a public statement.

I don't think any fan in the world would react badly to a GM saying "Yes, I said I would not trade Subban, but when Calgary offers us Iginla and Giordano and a swap of first round picks for Subban and x, y, z, I felt the benefit to the team was too great for me not to eat a little crow."

As for nite's "unfair" - if the players on that team are sulking around because they aren't getting Iginla to come in and rescue them, F--k 'em.  I want the players on the current team to be trying to convince management that tehy don't need Iginla.  And if you're a top end guy wishing that the team would upgrade the Bartkowskis and Caron's because it's oh, so unfair that your chance to win is being hurt by them - score more than two f-ing goals a game!  That's your job.  Do it instead of moaning that the GM didn't go out and make a trade.

I also don't recall whether PC ever said "we are not trading Phil Kessel", but that situation is so different as to be useless as a comparable.  Kessel basically signed an offer sheet, but instead of going through that rigamarole, the teams agreed on compensation.  No one will be tendering Subban any time soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Agree,  he has never called a bluff. It's not in his DNA

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, all this stuff about PC's word is out of the "Twilight Zone" for me. I haven't seen it yet. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

"No but if the right deal is put in front of you to get the cup then you have to deal no matter what."

So Subban shouldn't be off-limits? Chiarelli is wrong? To say it? To believe it?

If I were in Chairelli shoes i would do it, yes. There are only a few in the Bruins organization who are off limits. I wouldn't say things like that in a public forum. If I were jacobs I wouldn't want my GM divulging that type of info out in th open.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"GM saying "Yes, I said I would not trade Subban, but when Calgary offers us Iginla and Giordano and a swap of first round picks for Subban and x, y, z, I felt the benefit to the team was too great for me not to eat a little crow."

^Exactly!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Agreed, all this stuff about PC's word is out of the "Twilight Zone" for me. I haven't seen it yet. 

[/QUOTE]

However, if that were the case, he'd be a better GM than I thought.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

To be honest, loading up for a cup run just never makes sense to me. The only possible loss you have next season is Horton, there is no need to go all out for it this year.

If Calgary wants more than Caron and a 1st, I tell them thanks, but no thanks. Subban, Spooner & a 1st is just way too much for a guy that's only going to be here a couple months.

I don't mind parting with Subban, Spooner or the whole farm system for that matter. I do mind trading him for a short term rental.

I want the Bs to be a Detroit, a team that is a top contender for a cup for the next decade. I had the same view in 2011 when they won it all and PC did a great job of not mortgaging the future to make that run.

Give me a good 3rd liner and a depth defenseman, hope Kelly gets healthy and the rest of the team picks up the slack.

On a good note, Horton is playing so weak that you might be able to resign him for short money ($3-4).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[/QUOTE]

Same here, Chowda.  This isn't like Brian Burke and his now infamous "testosterone, truculence and belligerence" pledge.  Actually Burke did keep his promise of the Leafs performing with these traits.  He just didn't say when they would or that he'd be around to see it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

To be honest, loading up for a cup run just never makes sense to me. The only possible loss you have next season is Horton, there is no need to go all out for it this year.

If Calgary wants more than Caron and a 1st, I tell them thanks, but no thanks. Subban, Spooner & a 1st is just way too much for a guy that's only going to be here a couple months.

I don't mind parting with Subban, Spooner or the whole farm system for that matter. I do mind trading him for a short term rental.

I want the Bs to be a Detroit, a team that is a top contender for a cup for the next decade. I had the same view in 2011 when they won it all and PC did a great job of not mortgaging the future to make that run.

Give me a good 3rd liner and a depth defenseman, hope Kelly gets healthy and the rest of the team picks up the slack.

On a good note, Horton is playing so weak that you might be able to resign him for short money ($3-4).

This might be an issue.  Puck Daddy and other outlets are now reporting that Iginla wants an extension with whichever team wins the trade sweepstakes.  Not sure how he can garuntee this before he waives his NTC?  The Bruins minus Horton can offer him that extension.  I like it if it was $4 per for 2 years.  Not sure I like 5 or 6 per over that same time period.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

I can't see resigning Horton at all even for league minimum, he's in rapid decline.  Honestly, I think there is something physically wrong with him.  He impressed me as being pretty strong before, now not at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

This is smart. Names removed, I do not see the value in trading a very young, athletic, promising goalie for a great forward towards the end of his career. IF Subban is traded, it should be for equal value & potential.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'm loving my new phone app Radio , Nobex Radio.  I can listen all day 98.5 the sports Hub. they've been talking a lot about the Bruins lately, good stuff !

p..s Yes I still have a BLACK BERRY ! Go Canada !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I can't see resigning Horton at all even for league minimum, he's in rapid decline.  Honestly, I think there is something physically wrong with him.  He impressed me as being pretty strong before, now not at all.

He's become this seasons Pouliot, one game of amazing skill on display followed by 10-15 game of complete irrelevence. At least Poo Poo was cheap.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I'm confused because we've been grooming Rask for three years.  He's had sucess at the NHL level.  We've been hearing about him since before the Raycroft tade.  He's now 26, ready to take over, and we're worried about trading a potential successor?  Why are we unwilling to annoint Rask our #1 goaltender for the next 8-12 years (making Subban a blocked prospect and therefore expendable)?

Im confused and would appreciate some perspectives regarding why we arent considering moving Subban.  I have some options below and would appreciate all thoughts.

A)  Does PC feel that the market for goaltending will soon push the price tag on Rask beyond the point where it makes sense to keep him?

B)  Have we been trying (and failing) to lock Rask up?  Are the negotiations turning sour?

C) Does PC feel that Subban is better because he feels Rask is a bust?  Ive been hearing about Rask as an elite goalie prospect since before the Rask/Raycroft trade.  If PC is honestly willing to push Rask aside for Subban than either a) Rask did not meet expectations or b) Subban has potential to be a first ballot HOF goalie.  Please select this option ("C") if you feel Rask is not meeting expectations (or if you feel that PC feels that Rask is not meeting expectations).

D) See above.  Please select D if you think that a) Rask isnt a bust but b) Subban is still better.  This would imply that you think Subban has first ballot HOF potential.

E) PC isnt happy with the offers he is receiving on Subban and doesnt want to trade Subban for what he feels is $0.50 on the dollar

F) PC feels that you can never have enough goaltending

G) Other (please explain)

Im honestly confused; however, if I had to pick one, my guess would be "E".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

i would pick E as well drewski

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Drew, I agree completely. This Subban hype of being almost untouchable is a little over the top. First, most did not like PC used a 1st rounder to draft him, now he is suddenly the next Dryden (if traded).

We have Rask, and others in the pipeline. If Subban can be used to help win a cup now then go for it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Feaster might be a very bad poker player, he could be pricing himself out of getting anything substantial at all, i'm fine with that. If Calgary wants to get any return on Iginla at all i don't think waiting to the last minute will necessarily work out.As has been mentioned before, any team can get Jerome this summer for nothing but a contract, i wouldn't be giving up the farm either, but if its fair to both teams, then ok. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to MDsizzle's comment:

This is smart. Names removed, I do not see the value in trading a very young, athletic, promising goalie for a great forward towards the end of his career. IF Subban is traded, it should be for equal value & potential.

Equal value and potential:

A good player could help the B's win the Cup this year.

A prospect could help the B's win the Cup some other year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I'm loving my new phone app Radio , Nobex Radio.  I can listen all day 98.5 the sports Hub. they've been talking a lot about the Bruins lately, good stuff !

I love my Playbook BsL.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I'm confused because we've been grooming Rask for three years.  He's had sucess at the NHL level.  We've been hearing about him since before the Raycroft tade.  He's now 26, ready to take over, and we're worried about trading a potential successor?  Why are we unwilling to annoint Rask our #1 goaltender for the next 8-12 years (making Subban a blocked prospect and therefore expendable)?

Im confused and would appreciate some perspectives regarding why we arent considering moving Subban.  I have some options below and would appreciate all thoughts.

A)  Does PC feel that the market for goaltending will soon push the price tag on Rask beyond the point where it makes sense to keep him?

B)  Have we been trying (and failing) to lock Rask up?  Are the negotiations turning sour?

C) Does PC feel that Subban is better because he feels Rask is a bust?  Ive been hearing about Rask as an elite goalie prospect since before the Rask/Raycroft trade.  If PC is honestly willing to push Rask aside for Subban than either a) Rask did not meet expectations or b) Subban has potential to be a first ballot HOF goalie.  Please select this option ("C") if you feel Rask is not meeting expectations (or if you feel that PC feels that Rask is not meeting expectations).

D) See above.  Please select D if you think that a) Rask isnt a bust but b) Subban is still better.  This would imply that you think Subban has first ballot HOF potential.

E) PC isnt happy with the offers he is receiving on Subban and doesnt want to trade Subban for what he feels is $0.50 on the dollar

F) PC feels that you can never have enough goaltending

G) Other (please explain)

Im honestly confused; however, if I had to pick one, my guess would be "E".

It could be a combination of some of the choices that you have provided.  PC is not going to get Rask signed between now and 4/3, essentially stated this in the interview this morning.  After 4/3 the Bruins have 13 games remaining in 3 weeks.  Will PC get a deal done with him in this window?  If not, I would assume that he doesn't get it done until after the season is over.  Maybe the jury is still out for PC and he is not entirely sold on Tuukka!  If he signs him to a 3 year deal, I would say it's likely he wants to see how things play out between Tuukka and Malcolm during that time period and make a move then on who is the #1 for the next 8-12 years!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

PC also said "we're not trading phil kessel."

I don't recall this at all. Please refresh my memory with a link.

P.S. An honest request

http://www.thebruinsblog.net/2009/09/04/chiarelli-carves-out-his-position-on-kessel/

Here is a link I found!

“Hey, if you’re pushed toward the cap, you’re in a position where you have to balance it even more. That’s the position that we’re in. I’ve said publicly and I’ll say it again that I want Phil to be on our team. And I’ll do everything I can do to put him on our team, within reason, with the balance that I’m talking about. If it means moving players, I’ll do it. If it means matching offer sheets I’ll do it.”

Excellent example to prove PC is not a liar.

At least, you underlined the most important words: "within reason"

Phil Kessel at $5.4 miliion per was not within reason. Then and now.

He'll certainly trade Malcolm Subban, if he gets an offer he can't refuse.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Here's a few questons to a GM's might be asking himself before a trade.

Will getting Iginla get you to the Finals? Looking at Pittsburgh, you can't say that with certainty. They are winning right now without Malkin and Letang. They've made some good depth moves so far, and Crosby is playing ALL WORLD, so I don't know.  

If you go with the premise that a Great Goalie makes a great GM (ask Lou Lamoriello) then why would you trade someone you think will make you look good 3, or 5 or 10 years from now, verses someone that will make you look good for a few years, and be forgotten soon after, even if you win the Cup. We have people trying to carve PC for trades he made that helped him win the Cup. seesh!!! Imagine what will happen if they don't make the Finals.

Is making it to the Finals, with a chance to win now, better for the Franchise on a $ basis vs having a competitive team year after year because of superior goaltending. I don't put anything past JJ when it comes to $$$$.

If you think this is all about WINNING the Cup, then you are sadly mistaken. This is PRO Sports, and the B's have the most $ sensitive Owner around.  

If he or the Team, thinks Subban is going to be a great goalie, he doesn't make this deal.

Hack away!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Drewski - I don't think it's that mysterious.  Subban will not be an NHL player for 2-3 years at least - like Rask.  Subban will come up as Rask's backup, as Rask was for Thomas.  Subban would be the back-up or in tandem with Rask for a couple of years at least, to see if he can out-play Rask.  If he out-plays Rask, then you have a great problem: deal a great goaltender who is "blocked" or deal a top notch goaltender who has been pushed out by young talent.  So before the idea that Subban is "blocked" is even an issue, you're talking 5+ years.  So "blocked" has nothing to do with it at this stage.

On the other hand, as Chowdah has pointed out numerous times, Rask is an RFA at the end of this year, Khudobin is a pending UFA, Hutchinson is an AHL goaltender, and Svedberg is an unproven player at the NHL level.  Volden and Gothberg are by no means certain to have any impact whatsoever being largely untested at levels where you might be able to say they could be NHL players.  If the dominoes fall a certain way, Boston could go from looking like they have good depth in goal to having a huge question mark both in teh present and the future.

I would still be fine with a deal sending Subban elsewhere for the right return, but I would trust PC to know he can sign Rask and maybe also Khudobin before he makes that deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I think "PC is a good GM" means that he doesn't want to trade Subban; that Subban has developed as well or better than they'd hoped (despite a less than dynamite WJHC), and that they don't see the opportunity to draft a goaltender who could be Rask's planned successor any time in the next couple of years.  I think it means that he is not, generally, a game player, and I assume his GM colleagues know who is slippery and who is straight.  All of which means that if Feaster feels he has to have Subban for Iginla, say, he will now look elsewhere OR he will have to re-think what he's willing to take OR figure out a way to incent PC to go back on a public statement.

I don't think any fan in the world would react badly to a GM saying "Yes, I said I would not trade Subban, but when Calgary offers us Iginla and Giordano and a swap of first round picks for Subban and x, y, z, I felt the benefit to the team was too great for me not to eat a little crow."

As for nite's "unfair" - if the players on that team are sulking around because they aren't getting Iginla to come in and rescue them, F--k 'em.  I want the players on the current team to be trying to convince management that tehy don't need Iginla.  And if you're a top end guy wishing that the team would upgrade the Bartkowskis and Caron's because it's oh, so unfair that your chance to win is being hurt by them - score more than two f-ing goals a game!  That's your job.  Do it instead of moaning that the GM didn't go out and make a trade.

I also don't recall whether PC ever said "we are not trading Phil Kessel", but that situation is so different as to be useless as a comparable.  Kessel basically signed an offer sheet, but instead of going through that rigamarole, the teams agreed on compensation.  No one will be tendering Subban any time soon.

Where the Fawk do you get off Book? Stop putting fawking words in my mouth you piece of shi..ttt & stop assuming you KNOW EVERYTHING! I never said that the B's players are sulking! I said I think it's unfair for a GM to put an unknown prospect off limits for a present trade to save the future that nobody knows who will be here. What about the employee's he has working for him NOW! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I love my Playbook BsL.

Atta boy !