PC confirms Subban off limits!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: PC confirms Subban off limits!

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I think "PC is a good GM" means that he doesn't want to trade Subban; that Subban has developed as well or better than they'd hoped (despite a less than dynamite WJHC), and that they don't see the opportunity to draft a goaltender who could be Rask's planned successor any time in the next couple of years.  I think it means that he is not, generally, a game player, and I assume his GM colleagues know who is slippery and who is straight.  All of which means that if Feaster feels he has to have Subban for Iginla, say, he will now look elsewhere OR he will have to re-think what he's willing to take OR figure out a way to incent PC to go back on a public statement.

I don't think any fan in the world would react badly to a GM saying "Yes, I said I would not trade Subban, but when Calgary offers us Iginla and Giordano and a swap of first round picks for Subban and x, y, z, I felt the benefit to the team was too great for me not to eat a little crow."

As for nite's "unfair" - if the players on that team are sulking around because they aren't getting Iginla to come in and rescue them, F--k 'em.  I want the players on the current team to be trying to convince management that tehy don't need Iginla.  And if you're a top end guy wishing that the team would upgrade the Bartkowskis and Caron's because it's oh, so unfair that your chance to win is being hurt by them - score more than two f-ing goals a game!  That's your job.  Do it instead of moaning that the GM didn't go out and make a trade.

I also don't recall whether PC ever said "we are not trading Phil Kessel", but that situation is so different as to be useless as a comparable.  Kessel basically signed an offer sheet, but instead of going through that rigamarole, the teams agreed on compensation.  No one will be tendering Subban any time soon.

Where the Fawk do you get off Book? Stop putting fawking words in my mouth you piece of shi..ttt & stop assuming you KNOW EVERYTHING! I never said that the B's players are sulking! I said I think it's unfair for a GM to put an unknown prospect off limits for a present trade to save the future that nobody knows who will be here. What about the employee's he has working for him NOW! PC has a job to do for the present moreso than the future. This isn't a rebuliding team. This is a contender that another team in his conference went out & tried to get better & already sitting in first. PC is obligated to at least try & bring someone on to try & match that to put his present team on the same playing field. By putting a stop sign on certain prospects he's not fullfilling his obligation at all. He's sounding like! "Fawk the Stanley Cup, Fawk the fans & Fawk the Bruins players! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"D) See above.  Please select D if you think that a) Rask isnt a bust but b) Subban is still better.  This would imply that you think Subban has first ballot HOF potential."

Before I consider this I want to see Subban produce Svedberg rookie numbers in the AHL.

How many former former great OHL, "Q" and WHL players are in the ECHL right now ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Drewski - I don't think it's that mysterious.  Subban will not be an NHL player for 2-3 years at least - like Rask.  Subban will come up as Rask's backup, as Rask was for Thomas.  Subban would be the back-up or in tandem with Rask for a couple of years at least, to see if he can out-play Rask.  If he out-plays Rask, then you have a great problem: deal a great goaltender who is "blocked" or deal a top notch goaltender who has been pushed out by young talent.  So before the idea that Subban is "blocked" is even an issue, you're talking 5+ years.  So "blocked" has nothing to do with it at this stage.

On the other hand, as Chowdah has pointed out numerous times, Rask is an RFA at the end of this year, Khudobin is a pending UFA, Hutchinson is an AHL goaltender, and Svedberg is an unproven player at the NHL level.  Volden and Gothberg are by no means certain to have any impact whatsoever being largely untested at levels where you might be able to say they could be NHL players.  If the dominoes fall a certain way, Boston could go from looking like they have good depth in goal to having a huge question mark both in teh present and the future.

I would still be fine with a deal sending Subban elsewhere for the right return, but I would trust PC to know he can sign Rask and maybe also Khudobin before he makes that deal.

Spot on, Book. PC and the B's seem to understand this very well and that's why they put such a premium on goaltending, moreso than most teams IMO. A cup contender can easily be derailed by shaky goaltending (see PHI 2010) They also believe Subban can be a great goalie in the NHL. They've been particularly glowing of Subban from the time they found he was available when their pick came up in the draft.  Now, if somebody makes a historically stupid offer such as Hall, Nail and a couple of 1st round picks for Subban, Flounder and a case of Sam then all bets are off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

this is a negotiation strategy ...you make it look like that this particulr player (Subban) is so much valuable that you dont wat to include him in he deal  ...and at the last minute you tell the other GM  ...well.. we will let him go but but without our 1st draft pick ..or smething like that ...so the other GM thinks is makinga a better deal that it first looked like ...just a strategy ...the BRUINS need Iginla ..this guy is custom made for our team ...if ever this deal fails I would like to see a player like Ryan Clowe or Alex Hemsky

Hmmmm....PC didn't say that Khudobin won't be traded...

Just kidding Stanley.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

It's a great thing for him to say. If he DOES trade Subban, not many people will get bent if he came out and said, "I know what I said, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

He'll certainly trade Malcolm Subban, if he gets an offer he can't refuse.

Usually the "within reason" part of a GM's statement is understood - unless they say categorically,

"We are NOT trading Player A" or "Player A IS on the block and we are working on a trade"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I think "PC is a good GM" means that he doesn't want to trade Subban; that Subban has developed as well or better than they'd hoped (despite a less than dynamite WJHC), and that they don't see the opportunity to draft a goaltender who could be Rask's planned successor any time in the next couple of years.  I think it means that he is not, generally, a game player, and I assume his GM colleagues know who is slippery and who is straight.  All of which means that if Feaster feels he has to have Subban for Iginla, say, he will now look elsewhere OR he will have to re-think what he's willing to take OR figure out a way to incent PC to go back on a public statement.

I don't think any fan in the world would react badly to a GM saying "Yes, I said I would not trade Subban, but when Calgary offers us Iginla and Giordano and a swap of first round picks for Subban and x, y, z, I felt the benefit to the team was too great for me not to eat a little crow."

As for nite's "unfair" - if the players on that team are sulking around because they aren't getting Iginla to come in and rescue them, F--k 'em.  I want the players on the current team to be trying to convince management that tehy don't need Iginla.  And if you're a top end guy wishing that the team would upgrade the Bartkowskis and Caron's because it's oh, so unfair that your chance to win is being hurt by them - score more than two f-ing goals a game!  That's your job.  Do it instead of moaning that the GM didn't go out and make a trade.

I also don't recall whether PC ever said "we are not trading Phil Kessel", but that situation is so different as to be useless as a comparable.  Kessel basically signed an offer sheet, but instead of going through that rigamarole, the teams agreed on compensation.  No one will be tendering Subban any time soon.

Where the Fawk do you get off Book? Stop putting fawking words in my mouth you piece of shi..ttt & stop assuming you KNOW EVERYTHING! I never said that the B's players are sulking! I said I think it's unfair for a GM to put an unknown prospect off limits for a present trade to save the future that nobody knows who will be here. What about the employee's he has working for him NOW! 

Off your happy pills again nite?  EVERYBODY GET DOWN!

Okay, now you've put the words in your own mouth and you've said it's not fair to the employees he has working for him now.  And I'll repeat everything I just said - if the players feel it's "unfair" that the GM might choose not to make a trade to bring in a player, I would much rather they look in the mirror than outside the organization for a saviour.  So no, you never said the players were sulking, but your wording implies that the decision not to help them out is "unfair" to them; if they share that opinion, I question whether or not a big name addition would help or just be a convenient scapegoat.  If your concern was "fairness" to fans, then I'll stick with I think PC knows his job and is not taking any advice at this time.

So now Mr. blown f-ing gasket, explain to me how my having a different take than yours, and explaining why without resorting to name calling - like, say, calling you an idiot who freaks out like a 13 year old girl at a Justin Beiber concert - is me claiming to know everything?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Okay, now you've put the words in your own mouth and you've said it's not fair to the employees he has working for him now.  And I'll repeat everything I just said - if the players feel it's "unfair" that the GM might choose not to make a trade to bring in a player, I would much rather they look in the mirror than outside the organization for a saviour.  So no, you never said the players were sulking, but your wording implies that the decision not to help them out is "unfair" to them; if they share that opinion, I question whether or not a big name addition would help or just be a convenient scapegoat.  If your concern was "fairness" to fans, then I'll stick with I think PC knows his job and is not taking any advice at this time.

So now Mr. blown f-ing gasket, explain to me how my having a different take than yours, and explaining why without resorting to name calling - like, say, calling you an idiot who freaks out like a 13 year old girl at a Justin Beiber concert - is me claiming to know everything?

That's why I love ignore!  He is all bark and no bite.  Loves to come up with new ways to type swear words without getting flagged.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

If you go with the premise that a Great Goalie makes a great GM (ask Lou Lamoriello) then why would you trade someone you think will make you look good 3, or 5 or 10 years from now

Because you already have a great goalie who is 26 and will make you look good 3, or 5, or 10 years from now.

Are we giving up on Rask?  What am I missing?  Is 26 washed up?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

If you go with the premise that a Great Goalie makes a great GM (ask Lou Lamoriello) then why would you trade someone you think will make you look good 3, or 5 or 10 years from now

Because you already have a great goalie who is 26 and will make you look good 3, or 5, or 10 years from now.

This is what I don't understand, Drew.  Rask is young and awesome.  The Fort Knox around Subban here would make one believe they could possibly play both at the same time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

said, "I know what I said, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse."

Don BruinO approves of this message!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Has anyone stopped to wonder why Feaster or anyone else might want Malcolm Subban so much?

The market hasn't been created for Subban yet. To trade him for a rental-Iginla would make Chiarelli look like an idiot - make him look like Jay Feaster. Aside from his ego, Chiarelli figures - and correctly - that for what he needs to improve this very good hockey team, Malcolm Subban won't (nor shouldn't) be required.

There will be plenty of good upgrades available this week - ones that make sense for the Bruins now and later (which is Chiarelli's mandate) - I don't think Chiarelli sees the present and the future as necessarily antithetical to one another.

Chiarelli did good today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

This is what I don't understand, Drew.  Rask is young and awesome.  The Fort Knox around Subban here would make one believe they could possibly play both at the same time.

Glad you share my confusion.  Thanks for the response.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Flames asking price is too high. They want Subban + ; They want Bernier (and 1st Rounder) from the Kings. (lets face it, Shero's got the Penguins in this mix just to make things difficult, to drive up the price, for the Bruins.)

Feaster's not going to get it. But he needs to get something because after the "Ryan O'Reilly Offer sheet near-debacle". Feaster has a fanbase that has grown increasingly suspicious of his abilities. Feaster's job depends on his handling of this one. A powerful motivator. If Iginla walks for nothing, so does Feaster. Chiarelli is playing this one right, making Feaster sweat.

Plus, Iginla wants an extension wherever he's going and he's not going to get that either (none of these teams on his list can afford him next year). This will slow the works for Feaster this week.

The price for Iginla will have to be lowered. That's really what Chiarelli was really saying today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

Flames asking price is too high. They want Subban + ; They want Bernier (and 1st Rounder) from the Kings. (lets face it, Shero's got the Penguins in this mix just to make things difficult, to drive up the price, for the Bruins.)

Feaster's not going to get it. But he needs to get something because after the "Ryan O'Reilly Offer sheet near-debacle". Feaster has a fanbase that has grown increasingly suspicious of his abilities. Feaster's job depends on his handling of this one. A powerful motivator. If Iginla walks for nothing, so does Feaster. Chiarelli is playing this one right, making Feaster sweat.

Plus, Iginla wants an extension wherever he's going and he's not going to get that either (none of these teams on his list can afford him next year). This will slow the works for Feaster this week.

The price for Iginla will have to be lowered. That's really what Chiarelli was really saying today.

He will this summer for sure anyway, Feaster better get something and not be too picky.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

It isn't fair. Is it not PC's job to put a team together to not just always contend, but to win a cup every season? Well we're in 2013. Not 2018 as you describe it'll take to finally figure out if SUbban is NHL #1 quality. If he wants to have it in his mind not to trade Subban fine. Why announce that to the world? He wouldn't say he's doing all he can to bring in some help to win now. But, he will say that he's not willing to trade an unknown prospect. What is that saying? To me he's saying he cares more about the future than he does now. He's saying. "Go ahead Shero, get the cup this year." We'll maybe see you in 2018 when we find out if Subban is NHL ready. And yes Book, I know you're the GOD around here & when you speak everybody else listen's & puckers up! And I still never said the players are saying "it's not fair!" no matter how many times you try to say that I did. I'M SAYING IT'S NOT FAIR TO THE PLAYERS THAT ARE PLAYING NOW! GET IT! And talk about being a 13 yr old girl whining. Look in the mirror yourself & stop being a little pansy, because someone called you a name! Good Gawd almighty grow some grapes & suck it up princess! Is the lid of the toliet always down in your house? Geezus what a baby! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

For those of you confused, and/or for those of you that think PC is playing negotiation games. Could it be that PC and Bill Zito are not getting along very well?  They couldn't agree long term last year.  What makes you think that the negotiations are any better this time around?  I believe that PC truly does not want to trade Subban and will not trade him.  I also believe that by sharing this information with the media, he is letting Zito know that he has options, although not for the immediate future, he has them.  Tuukka is a very good goaltender.  However, I still have my doubts if he is great.  If the last 2 years has taught us anything, right now you need great goaltending to win Lord Stanley!  If Tuukka plays like Timmy & Jonathan did in this year's playoffs, then he will get paid handsomely!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Don't we all remember how much fun it was to have 2 bonafied starters in net? Sure would be nice to have that problem again, except this time, if that happens both goalies will be in their 20's and both would have a huge trade value. Then it would make sense for a move and I'm sure we would get back much more than an past their prime star. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to MDsizzle's comment:

Don't we all remember how much fun it was to have 2 bonafied starters in net? Sure would be nice to have that problem again, except this time, if that happens both goalies will be in their 20's and both would have a huge trade value. Then it would make sense for a move and I'm sure we would get back much more than an past their prime star. 

How is someone who's on pace to score 25g's in a full season considered past his prime? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

That's why I love ignore!  He is all bark and no bite.  Loves to come up with new ways to type swear words without getting flagged.  

Then keep ignoring me CAWSAWKER! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

This whole Subban is off limits thing is Gm posturing, no one is off limits. Everyone has a price.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Everyone has a price.

...For the million dollar man

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Of course PC is going to say Subban will not get traded, thats what he's telling Feaster.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

PC will make his offer for Iggy but will have 2nd and 3rd pieces he can go after if the Iggy deal falls though. It has been said PC is also going after ST.Louis and other simalar players and will find a way to help the Bruins.

Subban is years away from helping the Bruins and if the Bruins want win now with this core He should consider trading him with the Idea of getting another pospect in goal later, we will have to wait and see but this current Bruins team can not carry them too far into playoffs and they need scoring not D. PC I hope will make this team better and as of now it doesn't look like it will Iggy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I know what your saying NAS, i don't think it's a fort knox or that he's untouchable. For me, I hate the thought of dealing a potential franchise goalie, emphasis on potential, for a guy who is unsigned after this year.

I'd love to get Iginla, and I know how you feel about the goalies, he could fizzle out, theres no way of telling etc..

But Rask was drafted in 2005. Corey Schneider was drafted in 2004. Both now, are still viewed as goalies of the future for their teams. It takes time, and by the time Subban is ready, who knows what the Bruins goalie situation will look like then. I think we as Bruins fans have been spoiled by the level of play of Bruins goalies the last few years.

Sections
Shortcuts