PC is the man!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: PC is the man!

[/QUOTE]

How?  He has the ntc.  Hes earned it.  The deals have nothing to do with it.  Iggy wanted to go to pitt.  He wanted to go to pitt and good for him.  Morrow wanted to go to pitt.  I have no idea why this is so hard to grasp.  He gave a list of teams like most do.  He was holding out for pitt and they stepped in and offered similar.  Feasters hands were tied.  

[/QUOTE]

If this was the trade deadline, then I will accept that Feasters hands were tied.  However, he could have said:

"Look, you gave us a list of four teams.  We proceeded and worked out a trade with one of those four teams.  I think its unfair to , right now, change your demands and say Pitt or no trade.  Lets talk about this more tomorrow."

I can beleive that maybe Cal thought the offers were so close that they'd trade Iginla to the team where he wanted to be.

But I cant believe that it was 100% Iginla.  Maybe Iginla was the tie breaker.  But a trade did not have to be made last night; therefore, Feaster did not have to immediately cave to Iginlas unreasonable demands.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

If what you guys are implying is true, than Iginla is one of the slimies selfish players ever.  And the GM is a full blown moron.

I think its much more likely that Pitts offer was better and we are receiving a shipload of GM slant this morning.  

i think i answered this in my last post.  Iginla earned the right to choose.  I have nothing but pure respect for him.  

I agree that he had the right to choose.  If what you are saying is true, i lose all respect because of the last minute U turn.  He initially drafted a list.  His GM spent a ton of time/energy trying to work out a trade to the team on the list.  To turn around last minute and sabotage a trade between the flames and a team that you initially agreed to go to is slimy.

Its possible that the list was always a hoax.  Maybe Iginla said all along "Pitt or no trade."  And the list was nothing but a rouse to create a bidding war.  If Iginla did this, I have nothing but respect for him (helping Cal get everything they can).  This is possible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think PC is a great GM and had a deal in place for Iginla.  I don't think he did anything good or bad at the end. I think Iginla and/or Calgary just decided they wanted the Pittsburgh deal.  The Boston offer was better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Since we're playing guess how things worked, I'll chime in with:

Feaster worked out a deal with Boston that he could live with.
    Feaster worked out a deal with Pittsburgh that he could live with.

Satisfied with what he would get, but knowing that he's about to be burned in effigy, he figured he would let Iginla choose so he could at least say that the deal was a service to a long-suffering warrior for the franchise.

The deals are very similar. One includes a guy drafted 40th overall and a borderline D prospect, with the potential for a 25-30 range draft pick if the player re-signs.  The other includes a 25-30 draft pick, and two borderline depth forwards with no conditions that we know of.  Khokhlachev is currently more likely to be an NHL player than the pick because we've seen his development - he's a known quantity.  Feaster might even think that, if people knew how Khokhlachev has developed in 2011, he'd have gone higher than a 25th pick.

Khokhlachev =/< 1st round pick (difference of 10 and 15 spots in a draft)
    Bartkowski = 3rd round pick 5'11 scorer from Yale (neither is certain to find an NHL home)
    cond. 1st rounder > 5th round college forward (except that that pick only exists if the Bruins, with almost no cap flexibility next year, re-sign a 38 yr old player.)

Six of one, half dozen of the other, so why not let Iginla choose?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I agree with Drewski 9 times out of 10. Bostons offer was better. Jarome said "i would prefer pittsburgh." feaster honored it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I keep reading "Boston's offer was better".  Khokhlachev has more potential than the two guys they got from Pitt, but the jury is out on whether or not he's a better prospect and a better fit for Calgary than, say, Zach Fucale - the top goalie in the draft.  Or maybe 4 and 29 is the right package for Calgary to get Jones, Drouin or Mackinnon.  Or maybe they go Burke, get at least one more 1st from someone for Giordano or Glencross or JBo, and package two firsts and a very high second for a shot at MacKinnon and Drouin?

Bartkowski vs. the college guys?  Who knows.  Toss up.  So Boston's offer is only better if they re-sign Jarome, not an easy thing for them to do with Rask yet to sign.  Fleeceder didn't have much to go on to choose between the two.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Feaster worked out a deal with Boston that he could live with.
    Feaster worked out a deal with Pittsburgh that he could live with."

This uncomplicates all the reasoning. Iginla still got to choose from the 4 teams afte Feaster had the offers in front of him.

That's it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

He looked at what he would get from Jarome (11 games, and one playoff push for a player who is still good, but past his prime).

He assigned a value to this.

He was unwilling to give more than the assigned value.

This is a sign that Peter is too smart to get fleaced , not a sign that he has no balls or he's incompetent.

I cant beleive the get rid of PC mob is back.  I thought we were past this!  I cant wait to read the posts when people start holding his Harvard degree against him!  The "We need a concussed ex-player who understands the game.  Not some Harvard suit"  posts from circa 2010.

I guess its a good sign , that the get rid of PC mob seems to be primarily drop-ins and non-regulars.  PC is one of the best GMs in hockey.  Do you remember the team he took over?  He didnt make a panick trade and overpaying for Iginla.  Thats a good thing.

Well said.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Since we're playing guess how things worked, I'll chime in with:

Feaster worked out a deal with Boston that he could live with.
    Feaster worked out a deal with Pittsburgh that he could live with.

Satisfied with what he would get, but knowing that he's about to be burned in effigy, he figured he would let Iginla choose so he could at least say that the deal was a service to a long-suffering warrior for the franchise.

The deals are very similar. One includes a guy drafted 40th overall and a borderline D prospect, with the potential for a 25-30 range draft pick if the player re-signs.  The other includes a 25-30 draft pick, and two borderline depth forwards with no conditions that we know of.  Khokhlachev is currently more likely to be an NHL player than the pick because we've seen his development - he's a known quantity.  Feaster might even think that, if people knew how Khokhlachev has developed in 2011, he'd have gone higher than a 25th pick.

Khokhlachev =/< 1st round pick (difference of 10 and 15 spots in a draft)
    Bartkowski = 3rd round pick 5'11 scorer from Yale (neither is certain to find an NHL home)
    cond. 1st rounder > 5th round college forward (except that that pick only exists if the Bruins, with almost no cap flexibility next year, re-sign a 38 yr old player.)

Six of one, half dozen of the other, so why not let Iginla choose?

Fair.  This doesnt disagree with my overarching point, which is PC had something to do w/ Iginla not coming here.

If the offers were close, there was a way PC could have gotten Iginla.  By offering more and making the offers no longer close.

So yeah, I give credit to PC.  He said Iginla is worth X and Im not going to go over and above it.  I think that was the smart thing to do.

I jsut disagree w/ Shupe's statement: had nothing to do w/ PC.  I feel that if Bostons offer was MUCH better, Feaster would have pushed back on Iginla's last second mind change.  So props to PC for sticking to his assesment and not overpaying for an upcoming UFA.

St Louis is a different story.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Im glad we didnt overpay for Iginla.  Id overpay for St Louis but not Iginla at this stage in his career.  I would say that right now, in 2013, he is a B+/A- line 1 winger.  

Still a great player, but no longer playing at a hall of fame calibur.  The whole point of this thread was because people were screaming fire PC for not getting Iginla.

Im saying: good job sticking to your assessments PC

Then someone else said: PC had nothing to do w/ it.  

I still believe that PC deserves credit.  But Im biased.  Im a huge fan of his.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"Feaster worked out a deal with Boston that he could live with.
    Feaster worked out a deal with Pittsburgh that he could live with."

This uncomplicates all the reasoning. Iginla still got to choose from the 4 teams afte Feaster had the offers in front of him.

That's it.

I agree that this isnt complicated.

There are really 3 sides.

A) There was nothing PC could have done, at all, to get Iginla to come here

B) PC could have topped the offer and gotten Iginla.  Screw him for not doing this.

C) PC could have topped the offer and gotten Iginla.  He was wise to not do this.

I'm in camp C.  That and "I love PC" is why I started this thread.  I wish I could get a Chiarelli jersey.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

The NHL is a business, first.  GM's run their companies not the players.  Until I see a quote from JI saying "I made the call", you would have to think this was all Feaster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to bim09's comment:

The NHL is a business, first.  GM's run their companies not the players.  Until I see a quote from JI saying "I made the call", you would have to think this was all Feaster.

You know what GMs love doing?  Keeping their jobs.  Trading a future HOF who has been there 5x longer than you for the weaker of two offers is a great way to get canned.

I can live w/ Bookboys guess: the offers were close, they let JI decide.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Now, if PC turns around and gets St Louis for Bartkowski, Koko, and a first, I will vote him in as president of the USA next go-round.

That would be a swindle.  Drive up the price on an upcoming UFA who is past his prime, only to turn around and get a guy, who is still as good as ever, and is signed for 3 years....For the same cost.

That would be us fleacing Pitt.  Im rooting for this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I might vote PC in as the next US President anyways.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

You know what GMs love doing?  Keeping their jobs.  Trading a future HOF who has been there 5x longer than you for the weaker of two offers is a great way to get canned.

Everything points to Iginla as the decision maker, they have about said it outright.  the words were 'and of course a player with a nmc is a critical part of the process' or some such words.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

No offense BH but, that's a GM spinning a story for the Media, imo.

*edit

I need to hear Iginla say he pulled the trigger on the deal. Then I'll believe it.  And if it was him, then Feaster should be shown the door before the end of business, today.

Koko is a franchise centerman.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

No offense BH but, that's a GM spinning a story for the Media, imo.

*edit

I need to hear Iginla say he pulled the trigger on the deal. Then I'll believe it.  And if it was him, then Feaster should be shown the door before the end of business, today.

Koko is a franchise centerman.

Agreed.  What happened w/ the removed posts?  Did someone call me names?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

2 pm press conference for Chiarelli.  Perhaps there will be movement, or perhaps just to clarify what happened.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Everything points to Iginla as the decision maker, they have about said it outright.  the words were 'and of course a player with a nmc is a critical part of the process' or some such words.

I dont disagree with this.  I just think that the statement there is absolutely nothing PC could have done is hyperbole.

I feel that if Cal thought that the Bruins offer blew Pitt away, they would have said to Jarome: "Look, you've been here for 16 years.   We'll always love you.  But you are asking us to accept a weaker offer and hurt our franchise.  You gave us a list of teams that you would be willing to go to, we worked out a trade that we want to make with one of the teams.  To go back on that now, and ask us to take a weak offer is unfair.  Lets sleep on this and talk again tomorrow."

Therefore, I feel that the offers must have been (at least) close.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Agreed.  What happened w/ the removed posts?  Did someone call me names?

I think they were null and the Commie. no loss

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I dont disagree with this.  I just think that the statement there is absolutely nothing PC could have done is hyperbole.

I feel that if Cal thought that the Bruins offer blew Pitt away, they would have said to Jarome: "Look, you've been here for 16 years.   We'll always love you.  But you are asking us to accept a weaker offer and hurt our franchise.  You gave us a list of teams that you would be willing to go to, we worked out a trade that we want to make with one of the teams.  To go back on that now, and ask us to take a weak offer is unfair.  Lets sleep on this and talk again tomorrow."

But you can't ask PC to blow away everyone else's offer.  That would be foolish.  The Bruins can't throw away assets just "blow away" the Penguins offer.

You can ask PC to make a good enough offer to get the deal done.  He did.  It was a better offer than the Pens had and it was good enough for the Flames to choose it over the others.

But Iginla didn't want to come here.  Nothing PC can do about that.  

PC can't tell Iginla that he'll be playing with Crosby.  Shero can.  End of story.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

But you can't ask PC to blow away everyone else's offer.  ...

Agreed.  My stance is that I think PC deserves credit for how he handled this.  

Sections
Shortcuts