PC is the man!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: PC is the man!

In response to red75's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Agreed.  What happened w/ the removed posts?  Did someone call me names?

I think they were null and the Commie. no loss

Thanks Red!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stourque. Show stourque's posts

The Bruins took these 2 players out of the lineup. They were led to believe they had a deal. Maybe iginla chose Pittsburgh, maybe not, (probably did) but how can Feaster string Chiarelli along, making him believe the deal was done. Something happened after Chiarelli thought the deal was done. Don't look for PC to be making any deals with Feaster again. Probably won't even take his calls.

In the end, this will just strengthen the Bruins resolve. Screw Calgary, screw Pittsburgh, screw Iginla, and most importantly, screw the Habs!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

2 pm press conference for Chiarelli.  Perhaps there will be movement, or perhaps just to clarify what happened.

Thanks Doc.  Do you know how I can listen??  I dont see a link on the Bruins site.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Thanks Doc.  Do you know how I can listen??  I dont see a link on the Bruins site.

I haven't seen any links up.  They do usually have them on the Bruins site, though.  So I guess keep checking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

How about this, Drew.  There was no reasonable thing Chiarelli could have done to change the outcome?

He could have done this: Krejci.

Fleeceder probably then goes back to Pittsburgh and says I have an offer for a top 6 forward who is an NHL player under 27.  Are you still in?  No?

Then he only has one offer to take to Iginla.  "Jarome, Pittsburgh declined to step up.  It's Boston."

Would that have been reasonable?  I don't think so - not to rent JI.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"B) PC could have topped the offer and gotten Iginla.  Screw him for not doing this."

PC was told by Feaster what he wanted in return, then an offer was given. Feaster goes to Iginla with two teams, Jerome chose Pittsburgh. People are confusing the offer with the team Jerome wanted to play for.

I don't know how this is so confusing. Iginla liked Pittsburgh's chances more and he had a push from the best player in the world.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

@DarrenDreger: Some believe Iginla's choice to play with the Penguins was made long before the decision and trade was made final last night.

if that's true, then the b's never had a chance.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

@DarrenDreger: Some believe Iginla's choice to play with the Penguins was made long before the decision and trade was made final last night.

So, Iginla may have decided he wanted to play for the Pens at the onset.  Then Feaster said, 'well give me three teams anyhow so we can bid up the price'.  Then the Bruins got played like a fiddle.  Now other teams know what the Bruins are willing to part with and Koko knows the Bruins were looking to trade him.

Makes me irritated at Iginla and that sorry excuse for a GM in Calgary, since he actually agreed to a poor return on his end too.  Losers = Boston, Calgary.  Winners = Iginla, Pittsburgh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

How about this, Drew.  There was no reasonable thing Chiarelli could have done to change the outcome?

He could have done this: Krejci.

Fleeceder probably then goes back to Pittsburgh and says I have an offer for a top 6 forward who is an NHL player under 27.  Are you still in?  No?

Then he only has one offer to take to Iginla.  "Jarome, Pittsburgh declined to step up.  It's Boston."

Would that have been reasonable?  I don't think so - not to rent JI.

Thats fair.  Just to reiterate: my position is PC played this perfectly.  I started this thread in response to the fire PC brigade, which was going on at 5 am this morning.  

It would be AWESOME if we turn around and get St Louis for Bartkowski, a 1st and Koko.  Drive up the price for Iginla, make Pitt have to give a first for 20 ish games of Iginla.  We then complete the rouse by getting St Louis (for 3 yrs) for a similar package.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

He looked at what he would get from Jarome (11 games, and one playoff push for a player who is still good, but past his prime).

He assigned a value to this.

He was unwilling to give more than the assigned value.

This is a sign that Peter is too smart to get fleaced , not a sign that he has no balls or he's incompetent.

I cant beleive the get rid of PC mob is back.  I thought we were past this!  I cant wait to read the posts when people start holding his Harvard degree against him!  The "We need a concussed ex-player who understands the game.  Not some Harvard suit"  posts from circa 2010.

I guess its a good sign , that the get rid of PC mob seems to be primarily drop-ins and non-regulars.  PC is one of the best GMs in hockey.  Do you remember the team he took over?  He didnt make a panick trade and overpaying for Iginla.  Thats a good thing.

What a homer post! Can we STOP WITH THIS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

So, Iginla may have decided he wanted to play for the Pens at the onset.  Then Feaster said, 'well give me three teams anyhow so we can bid up the price'.  Then the Bruins got played like a fiddle.  Now other teams know what the Bruins are willing to part with and Koko knows the Bruins were looking to trade him.

Makes me irritated at Iginla and that sorry excuse for a GM in Calgary, since he actually agreed to a poor return on his end too.  Losers = Boston, Calgary.  Winners = Iginla, Pittsburgh.

I actually noted this as a possibility on the previous page.  Honestly, I dont blame Cal if this was the case.  He didnt want to tip his hand and let Pitt know that Pitt was the only option. A Scott Boras move, if you will.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to jtassinarisoccer's comment:

He looked at what he would get from Jarome (11 games, and one playoff push for a player who is still good, but past his prime).

He assigned a value to this.

He was unwilling to give more than the assigned value.

This is a sign that Peter is too smart to get fleaced , not a sign that he has no balls or he's incompetent.

I cant beleive the get rid of PC mob is back.  I thought we were past this!  I cant wait to read the posts when people start holding his Harvard degree against him!  The "We need a concussed ex-player who understands the game.  Not some Harvard suit"  posts from circa 2010.

I guess its a good sign , that the get rid of PC mob seems to be primarily drop-ins and non-regulars.  PC is one of the best GMs in hockey.  Do you remember the team he took over?  He didnt make a panick trade and overpaying for Iginla.  Thats a good thing.

What a homer post! Can we STOP WITH THIS

Im a homer.  Full blown.  PC is the best GM in the league.  Spooner is a future star.  Koko looks amazing.  Krejci is underrated and has blossomed into a true line 1 center.  Untradeable.  Chara has deserved every Norris trophy he has ever earned.  Boychuck and Seidenberg are underrated because they arent flashy (but are both rock solid).

I honestly believe all of these things.  

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Thats fair.  Just to reiterate: my position is PC played this perfectly.  I started this thread in response to the fire PC brigade, which was going on at 5 am this morning.  

Drew, if Dreger is right then I think you need to change this sentence to PC was played perfectly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Drew, if Dreger is right then I think you need to change this sentence to PC was played perfectly.

Thats fair.  Cal strung Boston along and used PC to drive up the price.  That is PC getting played, no doubt.  But honestly, there was nothing he could have done about this.  He made his offer and was unwilling to part w/ more value than he would receive back.  So , while they used him, this doesnt reflect negatively on him.

Do you not like PC?  I noticed that you put "genius" in quotes on page 1.  I noted it because you are one of my favorite posters on this board.

Side note: I really love BsLegions take.  This would have been worse if it happened on the deadline.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/03/28/peter-chiarelli-we-believed-we-had-a-deal-for-jarome-iginla/

My apologies, as I have been wrong up and down this thread.  It appears that PC was never given a chance to match the offer.  So to give PC credit for "sticking to his guns" like I've done on this thread is innacurate.  

I still do believe though, that Cal must have considered the offers to be at least semi-close.  Otherwise, Feaster is an idiot.  Yesterday wasnt the deadline.  I just cant believe that Feaster would just allow Iginla to u-turn in his decision and purposely take a worse offer without even trying to tell him that he was being unreasonable.

If this is true, Feaster should get canned.  If Iginla was just completely unwilling to budge, he should get Francona'd.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

One more thought - I'm losing track of what thread has which comments at his point - the story on the Pens has been that they are about to default on the (figurative) mortgage, that's why this season is so important to them. Next year, they have about $10.5M to sign 5 skaters - not terrible, but not easy if you're looking to bring back Iginla.  The year after - Malkin is up along with Kunitz, Orpik, Letang, Niskanen and Vokoun.  The year after that, it's Fleury and Martin.  So after 3 years, the Pens could have only 2 of their current players under contract.  Very few of those contracts expire with the Pens having RFA rights.  They will almost inevitably lose ky players - "young core" guys - to the Cap.  I'm almost willing to bet that Malkin chooses to get out of Crosby's shadow and attempt to show that he, and not Sid, is the best player in the world.  Letang will want, and probably get, Karlsson money.  The "future" there will be Crosby, Neal, Letang and Fleury and it will cost them about $26M for those 4.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Do you not like PC?  I noticed that you put "genius" in quotes on page 1.  I noted it because you are one of my favorite posters on this board.

Side note: I really love BsLegions take.  This would have been worse if it happened on the deadline.

I have no problem with PC. But to suggest he played this perfectly does not jive with all the evidence coming out, and PC's own testimony at the presser, that shows he was duped. That's all.

I put genius in quotations because some on these boards describe him as such which is kind of going overboard. This was an unfortunate event but let's not sugar coat it or cook up some obviously false narratives as to what happened.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff March 28, 2013 02:37 PM   

By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff

"According to general manager Peter Chiarelli, the Bruins were informed at approximately noon on Wednesday that they had acquired Jarome Iginla from Calgary. The Bruins’ offer was Matt Bartkowski, Alexander Khokhlachev, and a first-round pick.

But before midnight, the Flames told the Bruins that Iginla was going to Pittsburgh. The Penguins traded a first-round pick and prospects Ken Agostino and Ben Hanowski.

Sometime in between, when Chiarelli’s calls to Calgary met radio silence, the trade went off the rails.

“We relied on the fact that we had a deal,” said Chiarelli of scratching Bartkowski and Khokhlachev and promoting Torey Krug. “Now, these things happen all the time, more than you know, about deals going south for whatever reason. We believed we had a deal. We operated on the premise that we had a deal. When things were silent, in my experience, when things go silent, things are usually going screwy from your end. And it was.”

After telling Chiarelli the initial news, Calgary GM Jay Feaster said he wanted to give Iginla some time to consider the trade. Chiarelli agreed.

“I assume it’s because of the magnitude of the player Jarome was for the organization, they wanted to give him some space on this,” Chiarelli said.

When Feaster told Chiarelli the news that Iginla was going to Pittsburgh, the Calgary GM acknowledged something had happened to scotch the Boston deal. Chiarelli declined to share the nature of the event. Chiarelli said in trades of this significance, there are many moving parts, such as speaking with ownership.

Ultimately, Chiarelli believes Pittsburgh’s 13-game winning streak, combined with the Bruins’ recent peaks and valleys, played a part in Iginla’s decision. During his press conference in Calgary today, Iginla acknowledged that getting an opportunity to play with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin were significant factors in his decision.

* Talk between the two clubs began several weeks ago, Chiarelli said. The Bruins were on a short list of teams Iginla would consider. Iginla had a no-movement clause.

* Chiarelli hasn’t spoken with Bartkowski or Khokhlachev. He plans to speak with Bartkowski tomorrow.

* Chiarelli said he asked the Flames for permission to speak with Iginla to make his pitch. Calgary didn’t give Chiarelli that permission. Chiarelli also said there was never an opportunity to speak with Iginla about a contract extension.

* The Bruins must now look at secondary moves to acquire a forward and a defenseman."

A deal is a deal is a deal. F*** Feaster!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

I have no problem with PC. But to suggest he played this perfectly does not jive with all the evidence coming out, and PC's own testimony at the presser, that shows he was duped. That's all.

I put genious in quotations because some on these boards describe him as such which is kind of going overboard. This was an unfortunate event but let's not sugar coat it or cook up some obviously false narratives as to what happened.

Agreed.  And i apologized in a previous post.

I was wrong to give PC credit for playing this well.  Maybe becasue the two offers were close, PC deserves credit for making an offer that was close to market value...But in any case, this isnt somethign that will go on his resume.

I do still disagree; however, that Iginla forced Cal to take an offer that Cal thought was significantly inferior.  Thats teh peice that Ive always disagreed with.  

Thats a slimy move on Iginlas part (considering he already made the list) and its stupid (deserve to lose your job stupid) on Feasters part for not even trying to get Iginla to realize that Iginla was not being reasonable.  

I think its more likely that either

A) the offers were close enough, so he let Iginla decide or 

B) Boston was never really an option.  They just used us to drive up the price.

But I certainly dont believe that Feaster wanted to make the trade w/ Boston, had one that he liked, but then Iginla changed his mind last minute.  Feaster then, without even a fight, turned around and took an offer that he considered significantly inferior.

That jsut doesnt make sense to me considering that yesterday wasnt the deadline.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

No worries Drew, I am probably being extra bullish on my narrative too. Just a bad situation overall, and frustrating for anyone who wants this team to succeed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I'm done!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I agree PC is a great GM. I am confident he has worked on many other options and he will pull the trigger on one of them. Iginla doesn't make the Pens unbeatable and I look forward to them meeting the Bruins in the playoffs. GAME ON!

Sections
Shortcuts