PC Overpaid for Kaberle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

PC Overpaid for Kaberle

Chiarelli better resign Kaberle, because without some sort of extension, this deal is brutal for the Bruins.  Colborne has all the tools to be a great NHL player and that 1st round pick (no matter how low) certainly has a good deal of value.  Kaberle alone won't make the Bruins SC contenders, and they just mortgaged a considerable part of their future to acquire him.  I just don't get it.

As for the Atlanta deal: I can live with it.  In my opinion, Peverley is a marginal upgrade over Wheeler and is signed to a reasonable contract.  However, I'm sad to see Stuart go.  He would have made an excellent 7th defenseman for this team during the stretch run of the regular season and into the playoffs.  I would have rather seen Boychuk (who has been brutal this year) get trade for next to nothing. 

It will be interesting to see how the Bruins play with all of these new players.  I hope the deals made today turn them into SC contenders, but I have my doubts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: PC Overpaid for Kaberle

A low first round pick and a poorly performing AHLer for a #2 defenseman is robbery.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Time will tell.  While playing for Providence, Colborne didn't exactly stand out, though this is just his first pro season.  B's cleared cap space to make these deals today, Kaberle and Chara reportedly work out together in the offseason, so I'm pretty sure PC is pretty sure he'll be able to sign Kab to an extension this summer. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I don't think he necessarily overpaid, but PC seemed to have the leverage in this deal with Kaberle's no trade clause and reports of him only willing to waive it to go to Boston, so PC probably should of been able to get him slightly cheaper, at least with the draft picks portion of the deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: PC Overpaid for Kaberle:
    A low first round pick and a poorly performing AHLer for a #2 defenseman is robbery.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

The point is, these deals won't bring the Bruins a Cup (IMO).  Therefore, why trade a player who was once considered the best prospect in the organization and a 1st round pick.  If the Bruins can resign Kabs, then I'm fine with this deal. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I think it's pretty close based on the 2nd rounder.  I mean for the price NAS stated we're talking pure rental.  Ansd that is a steep price for a rental.  If wesign him which I would like all of a sudden I think Burke wins in a knockout.  I give PC leeway though considering how well he has been stocking the farm.  Not so much with the Seguin deal, but Bartkowski, Kampfer, Cross, Spooner, Knight, the kid we got for Sobotka.  I mean I think we had wiggle room.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinscam. Show bruinscam's posts

i agree   bad bad bad trade

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

Add in a 2nd rounder(conditional)and it was more than I expected PC to give up.That said,I agree with your take and I'm happy with the deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

Agreed. Signing him to an extension would just be gravy....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Those who will cry about this deal figured the B's could get Duncan Keith for Hamill and a 3rd round pick

Gotta give to get, fellas. 

#2 Defenseman?  Check.

Get me that scoring winger and I'll plan the parade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Agree with NAS on this one.

B's 1st round picks that were selected 15th or lower over recent history:
    Caron - 25th
    Colborne - 16th
    Morrisonn - 19th
    Lashoff - 22nd
    Stuart - 21st
    Toivonen - 29th
    Samauelsson - 27th
    Boynton - 21st
    Brown - 21st

Throw in a few higher busts like Aitken - 8th and Jonsson 7th and I really don't see the same value in a late 1st rounder that would stop you from making a deal like the Kabby trade.  Mid to late 1st rounders are a crapshoot and based on history these guys are average NHLers at best. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: PC Overpaid for Kaberle : The point is, these deals won't bring the Bruins a Cup (IMO).  Therefore, why trade a player who was once considered the best prospect in the organization and a 1st round pick.  If the Bruins can resign Kabs, then I'm fine with this deal. 
    Posted by TimThomas-god

Colbourne was never considered Boston's top prospect(at least not by anyone knowledgeable).He was considered a good pick at his draft position but nobody EXPECTS him to be a star.I wish him luck(next year).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I'm not sure they overpaid, but even if they did it is the price for a "puck moving defenseman" (or defenceman for my northern brothers). Guys like Kaberle are in short supply so there is no way you'd be able to pry them away from another team, especially approaching the non-waiver trade deadline, for a bargain.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Those who will cry about this deal figured the B's could get Duncan Keith for Hamill and a 3rd round pick Gotta give to get, fellas.  #2 Defenseman?  Check. Get me that scoring winger and I'll plan the parade.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

The Bruins would have never made that deal.  The Hawks would need to add Kane or Sharp.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

I think PC just screwed with his pants on and everyone in Toronto is rejoicing. It will be even funnier if Kaberle does'nt resign and goes back to Toronto next year. In a nutshell PC gave up a 1st, 2nd, Wheeler, Stuart, and Colborne for 2 months of Kaberle (good offensive dman but horrible defensive dman who the B's could of waited on and in the offseason) and Kelly, Peverly (dime a dozen bottom six forwards, like the B's needed more of those). Bad day for B's fans and I still would'nt be surprised if the B's get knocked out in the first round.     

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Kaberle will walk back to Toronto next season, that would be the all time killer in this, if he didnt resign.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I think PC just screwed with his pants on and everyone in Toronto is rejoicing. It will be even funnier if Kaberle does'nt resign and goes back to Toronto next year. In a nutshell PC gave up a 1st, 2nd, Wheeler, Stuart, and Colborne for 2 months of Kaberle (good offensive dman but horrible defensive dman who the B's could of waited on and in the offseason) and Kelly, Peverly (dime a dozen bottom six forwards, like the B's needed more of those). Bad day for B's fans and I still would'nt be surprised if the B's get knocked out in the first round.     
    Posted by KJBruinswin

Yeah,sure thing.....we're all getting used to Burke fleecing PC in trades.Thanks for the input(or whatever that was).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsfannny. Show bsfannny's posts

One upside not being mentioned: taking away Kaberle makes the Leafs a worse team today than yesterday. By a considerable amount. If they tank, the Bs get another lottery pick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

They must sign Kaberle to an extension that is reasonable so they can manage the cap.

I think the good news is they have cheap D Men left on the team like Boychuck and McQuaid or even Kampfer.

Too bad he couldn't have dealt Ference over Stuart. Stuart is good.

I wonder who Kaberle pairs with? They need to put him with Seidenberg, I guess.  Someone needs to be around to cover for the inevitable Kaberle breakdowns.

Chara/Kampfer
    Seidenberg/Kaberle
    Ference/Boychuk or McQuaid

Not bad. 

The PP should get an immediate boost.

You have to think the lines will be something like:

Lucic Kreicji Horton
    Peverley Bergeron Ryder
    Marchand Kelly Recchi
    Paille Campbell Thornton

Does Peverley go to 4th line wing?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Stuart and Wheeler have 2 more months of NHL hockey too but unlike Kabby they won't be struggling to stay in the NHL after this season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

One upside not being mentioned: taking away Kaberle makes the Leafs a worse team today than yesterday. By a considerable amount. If they tank, the Bs get another lottery pick.
    Posted by bsfannny

I wonder if this factored into the negotiations?
    Burke: "If you aren't going to give us something that will help us right now, that pick from us will get better, so I want a better prospect in return."
    Chiarelli: "Okay, but are you sure you don't want Hamill?"

As for overpaying, that's what happens this time of the year.  GMs won't make trades unless they think it either has a clear benefit or a worthwhile risk, so claiming either side won the trade by a large amount is likely exaggeration.  I'm not happy at seeing Colborne gone, but given the current state of the Bruins forwards prospects, plus having the Toronto #1, makes it a risk I think is minimal.

Looking forward to seeing how the lines shake out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

man o man this guy cant win.  He FINALLY is aggressive and makes an impact trade mid season.  What happened to the lets win NOW attitude.  PC gets killed no matter what he does.  I like the deal, i like seeing him be aggressive.  Why the hype around Colborne?  I cant wait to see the first PP tonight.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In Response to PC Overpaid for Kaberle:
    Chiarelli better resign Kaberle, because without some sort of extension, this deal is brutal for the Bruins.  Colborne has all the tools to be a great NHL player and that 1st round pick (no matter how low) certainly has a good deal of value.  Kaberle alone won't make the Bruins SC contenders, and they just mortgaged a considerable part of their future to acquire him.  I just don't get it. As for the Atlanta deal: I can live with it.  In my opinion, Peverley is a marginal upgrade over Wheeler and is signed to a reasonable contract.  However, I'm sad to see Stuart go.  He would have made an excellent 7th defenseman for this team during the stretch run of the regular season and into the playoffs.  I would have rather seen Boychuk (who has been brutal this year) get trade for next to nothing.  It will be interesting to see how the Bruins play with all of these new players.  I hope the deals made today turn them into SC contenders, but I have my doubts.
    Posted by TimThomas-god

Here is what the Bruins DID get this week with all the trades.. This team is much better today than it was a few days ago, without a question.. They are faster with Kelly and Peverly and Kaberle  in the lineup... they are also tougher to play against up front.. Good on PC to pull the trades now and not wait until the 28th.. This gives the boys more games to get acclimated  with each other and gain some chemistry.. What your also forgetting is that the Leafs #1 pick that Chiarelli still hasthis year  will trump anything he gave today in Colborne and the first rounder .. You are talking top 5 with a possibility to move up to #1 pick overall. Where has he mortgaged the future? especially if you have a shot at Hopkins, Landeskog, Couturier, Laarson, Hamilton etc..

As I said earlier, why has Colborne become this great prospect all of a sudden when I am hearing others have passed him on the depth chart in the organization...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

absoultely.

the leafs made us better and themselves worse.  Their 1st rd pick will be top 5...maybe even top 3 for sure.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IYou are just so wrong. This is a great deal for Boston! n Response to PC Overpaid for Kaberle:
    Chiarelli better resign Kaberle, because without some sort of extension, this deal is brutal for the Bruins.  Colborne has all the tools to be a great NHL player and that 1st round pick (no matter how low) certainly has a good deal of value.  Kaberle alone won't make the Bruins SC contenders, and they just mortgaged a considerable part of their future to acquire him.  I just don't get it. As for the Atlanta deal: I can live with it.  In my opinion, Peverley is a marginal upgrade over Wheeler and is signed to a reasonable contract.  However, I'm sad to see Stuart go.  He would have made an excellent 7th defenseman for this team during the stretch run of the regular season and into the playoffs.  I would have rather seen Boychuk (who has been brutal this year) get trade for next to nothing.  It will be interesting to see how the Bruins play with all of these new players.  I hope the deals made today turn them into SC contenders, but I have my doubts.
    Posted by TimThomas-god

Sections
Shortcuts