PC Presser

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: PC Presser

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to cowboys9's comment:

Thanks JW.. I was not aware that Iginla had a full NMC... which then makes this charade trade list of 3 or 4 teams even worse.. Bruins never had a chance.. why even bother with the list if you made up your mind to go to Pittsburgh..just tell Fat Feaster to work out a deal with Pittsburgh. I thought Iginla was above that, apparently not... I think a lot of chatter went on behind the scenes here which we will never find out... and PC got left holding the bag.

And Feaster could have come back to Iginla and said, "Pittsburgh won't offer enough.  There is no deal there.  It's Boston for a playoff run or golfing.  You have a NMC.  The choice is yours."

Everyone saying that Boston had no chance is suggesting that Iginla has the right or desire to force a trade.  That just wasn't the case. 

It very obviously was the case NAS.  It's not clear whether Iginla had the "right", but he certainly convinced the management group he did.  "Desire" can't even be logically debated.

You make a great point about what Feaster could have said regarding the Boston deal.  What's beyond the treachery and stupidity of this deal, is why the Flames didn't do just that.  They surely could have got more from Pittsburgh too.  Especially when they had Crosby on the inside.  All Feister had to do was simply inform Pittsburgh they could have him if they wanted, but they must "give" a bit more.

Feaster looks like an idiot to his peers.  He knows it.  Knowing this, what seems quite apparent to me now....is the fact that overall, ownership, management, or both, desperately wanted rid of Iginla....so much so.....they allowed themselves to be played like fiddles.

2 things make this thing crystal clear.

1.  The hockey world unanimously agree's Boston offered the best package.

2.  Calgary makes no attempt to discredit PC's assertion that Boston was told they won the deal.  No sensible, ethical businessman is gonna let that slide.  If that wasn't true, the whole Calgary organization would be screaming at the top of their lungs.  Instead, they meekly  steer around by saying "nothing was signed". 

Enough has been said about this circus, from enough credible sources...it's really easy to see how things generally went down.  There are many minute details we don't know.....but they don't change the big picture.  Iginla was driving the bus, and the Flames didn't have the fortitude to take back the wheel.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to JWensink's comment:

Show of hands ...who thinks PC put his best deal on the table ?

Thing is JW, if Boston offered Lucic and a first and Fleeceder said to Jarome "will you go?" and Jarome said "no, I think I want to go to Pittsburgh," it wouldn't matter.  Giving a list is not the same as waiving your contract right to veto a move.

I don't know how much higher PC would have gone to get Iginla.  I also don't know if Chiarelli understood he was in a "blind auction" and maybe if that had been clear to him, he might have thrown in something of value - another pick or a B prospect?  But I still don't know how even Caron, Krug or Tardif add anything like the kind of value you'd need to make Fleeceder say to Iginla that he either accepts the Bruin deal or he can go home for the rest of the year.  There is no way to force Iginla to accept a deal to the Bruins, and it really seems to be that what changed in teh middle of the day was Iginla realized he wanted to play with Crosby.  Game over.  But it would have been hi-freaking-larious if PC came out and said "well, we offered Calgary Seguin, Hamilton and Subban for him, but Feaster went with Pittsburgh's offer instead."

Like I said we'll all be left to guess what would have happened if the Boston Offer was dramatically better than Pitt. It wasn't , and I'd bet the house if PC could turn back the clock he wouldn't be goin in with Bartkowski(who sucks) and Koko(mid level prospect).

Hey Jarome...we got two offers Boston and Pitt , neither are great, but it's the best we can do - where would you rather go? F that, I'm goin to Pitt

Or

Jarome... Boston has comitted and put up a super offer for you that we can't pass up. Awesome

Option two never happened, and all I'm sayin is that PC went after this guy like he was trying to get Derek Morris. Now he's holding a press conference to explain wtf just happened. Last time I saw a guy with that look on his face, it was Phil Mickelson at winged foot after making a 6 on 18 and losing the US Open.

Bottom line - Shero got him for a 1st and a bag of pucks, and PC looks like a fool who didn't have a grasp of how this was going to play out, and what he was up against. To believe otherwise means that Iginla was never coming to Boston no matter what the offer was. Thats just stupid.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Like I said we'll all be left to guess what would have happened if the Boston Offer was dramatically better than Pitt. It wasn't , and I'd bet the house if PC could turn back the clock he wouldn't be goin in with Bartkowski(who sucks) and Koko(mid level prospect).

Hey Jarome...we got two offers Boston and Pitt , neither are great, but it's the best we can do - where would you rather go? F that, I'm goin to Pitt

Or

Jarome... Boston has comitted and put up a super offer for you that we can't pass up. Awesome

Option two never happened, and all I'm sayin is that PC went after this guy like he was trying to get Derek Morris. Now he's holding a press conference to explain wtf just happened. Last time I saw a guy with that look on his face, it was Phil Mickelson at winged foot after making a 6 on 18 and losing the US Open.

Bottom line - Shero got him for a 1st and a bag of pucks, and PC looks like a fool who didn't have a grasp of how this was going to play out, and what he was up against. To believe otherwise means that Iginla was never coming to Boston no matter what the offer was. Thats just stupid.

JW - Boston's offer was significantly better.

You are just hell bent on blaming PC for this no matter what the real evidence is.

And the evidence is overwhelming that he did everything right and Jerome Iginla wanted Pittsburg.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

PC better get his act together and get an impact marque player quick. The Bs stink at the minute. Otherwise the good ship Bruin will be running aground sometime in May. No more band aid 'solutions' like Kaberle, Corvo or Pouliot who never panned out. Come to think of it, it has been quite some time since a new Bs acquisition has  panned out anything like expectations. Is the recent Iginla debacle further proof that PC has lost his mojo? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

JW - Boston's offer was significantly better.

You are just hell bent on blaming PC for this no matter what the real evidence is.

And the evidence is overwhelming that he did everything right and Jerome Iginla wanted Pittsburg.

BH

Actually Iginla isn't my 1st choice, And I'm only giving my honest opinion. I've got no axe to grind on PC.

I think the offer suked, and I think that he should have taken the Pitt offer off the table with the strength of his own - he didn't ...Bartkowski ? Seriously ? That's significantly better ? Did you ever see this guy play in person ? I have, and I'll put it this way, S Kampfer was the better of the two and it wasn't close.

The "evidence" you're going on is from the media ..I'd rather have my own views

I just believe there was more here than the player chose- that is all

Personally there are other players I want more tha Iginla, but I think PC wanted him in the worst way - bottom line - he didn't get him, and he didn't take his best shot, and I think it was a mistake, and I think PC feels that way also. That is all.

Not on a witch hunt. Just disagree with the spin -

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Thing is JW, if Boston offered Lucic and a first and Fleeceder said to Jarome "will you go?" and Jarome said "no, I think I want to go to Pittsburgh," it wouldn't matter.  Giving a list is not the same as waiving your contract right to veto a move.

I don't know how much higher PC would have gone to get Iginla.  I also don't know if Chiarelli understood he was in a "blind auction" and maybe if that had been clear to him, he might have thrown in something of value - another pick or a B prospect?  But I still don't know how even Caron, Krug or Tardif add anything like the kind of value you'd need to make Fleeceder say to Iginla that he either accepts the Bruin deal or he can go home for the rest of the year.  There is no way to force Iginla to accept a deal to the Bruins, and it really seems to be that what changed in teh middle of the day was Iginla realized he wanted to play with Crosby.  Game over.  But it would have been hi-freaking-larious if PC came out and said "well, we offered Calgary Seguin, Hamilton and Subban for him, but Feaster went with Pittsburgh's offer instead."

Or

JW, you're making at least one assumption that really has squat to do with the outcome....and that's what's clouding your position.

Why would Iginla give two hoots about who was gonna go back to Calgary?

We know Feaster told PC they had a deal.  Otherwise Feaster and company would have frantically denied it.  Feaster looks like an incompetent dope to his fans, and more importantly, to his peers. 

Do you believe he "chose" to look that way?  Don't you think if he could have.....he'd have just informed Iginla the deal was done and sent him packing?

Unless you're suggesting Feaster "planned" on being an idiot, there's no way any blame should go PC's way on this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

JW, you're making at least one assumption that really has squat to do with the outcome....and that's what's clouding your position.

Steve -

Not cloudy here, clear skies, thanks

If Calgary wanted the Boston offer that much more than the Pitt offer, they would have presented it differently to Iginla. It's not what Iginla thought, it's what the organization thought. And, I think the B's offer was weak...the best you can say about it was, it suked slightly less than the Pitt offer, and that's what put the players decision in the mix. It should be obvious that he was going to choose Pitt over Boston with every thing being equal. Should have never been equal, and the GM should have considered that if he wanted him that bad, otherwise you just lost the guy you targeted to two college prospects, and that gave Calgary and Iginla an out that they should have never been given... IMO

Peronally, I would drive Caron and Krug to Calgary myself to get Iginla -

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

And after all that's been said yesterday, there are still people here who think that the reason Iginla is not in Boston is because of PC not offering enough. 

My opinion ? Stupidity ! 

I can put it no other way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Steve -

If Calgary wanted the Boston offer that much more than the Pitt offer, they would have presented it differently to Iginla. It's not what Iginla thought, it's what the organization thought. And, I think the B's offer was weak...the best you can say about it was, it suked slightly less than the Pitt offer, and that's what put the players decision in the mix. It should be obvious that he was going to choose Pitt over Boston with every thing being equal. Should have never been equal, and the GM should have considered that if he wanted him that bad, otherwise you just lost the guy you targeted to two college prospects, and that gave Calgary and Iginla an out that they should have never been given... IMO

You still didn't answer my question.  "Why would Iginla care"........

Why would management present it differently if there were different players involved?  They told the Bruins, the deal was done.  In essence, you're suggesting Feaster cares more about Iginla's comfort, than his own team, and perhaps more importantly.....his own reputation.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I didn't watch Fleeceder's press conference, but I got the impression that he told Boston they had a deal, he went to Iginla and told him he was trading him to Boston, and Iginla said "what about Pittsburgh?"  Short of believing Fleeceder was dealing in a kind of deliberate bad faith - obvious bad faith, too, after the fact, and so...dunh dunh duhhhhh GM SUICIDE!!!...I can't see why he'd tell Chiarelli the deal was good and then present it to Iginla as a series of options to choose from.  So I don't think he presents it to Iginla any differently if Chiarelli offered a second first or something.  I really think Crosby called him and said "we want you" and Iginla said "okay, I'll tell my pet monkey to get it done."

The other thing that you have to hang on Feaster is that he didn't get that list of teams in writing - Iginla gave him a list of teams but didn't sign a blanket waiver on the list.  I think that's why Dreger and others are saying it was never a real list but a ploy to try and get a better deal out of the Penguins.  He may have gotten a better deal from Pitt than if he hadn't created the list, but it isn't a great deal, so the whole list gambit wasn't much help.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The offer was accepted by Calgary at about noon.

14 hours elapse.

Pittsburg gets the deal.

Whatever exactly happened was in those 14 hours - and it sure sounds to me like it was 14 hours of Iginla saying he wanted Pittsburg.

PC did exactly the right thing, whenever you negotiate for anything you don't lead with your best offer first, you want to give the least.  It's up to the seller to ask for more.

And if I'm a Calgary fan, I'm livid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

And after all that's been said yesterday, there are still people here who think that the reason Iginla is not in Boston is because of PC not offering enough. 

My opinion ? Stupidity ! 

Chowda,

If PC had offered a much better deal than Shero, do you think Feaster would have even mentioned Pitt to Iginla?

Example:

Boston offers Two prospects and two picks

Pittsburgh offers a fourth round pick and a Yugo.

With Boston's offer clearly out in front, what would compel Feaster to bring the Pitt offer to Iginla?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to gord11's comment:

If what Darren Dreger says is true, that 'some people' feel it was Pittsburgh all along, well then Feaster wasn't operating in good faith - and neither was Iginla for that matter. I know some would call this, 'negotiation', but I think it's shoddy, disingenuous and a little crooked.

What interests me is the extent to which Shero knew of Iginla's preference? How to explain how much 'less' the Pittsburgh offer was than that of the Bruins. Shero's package looks like Feaster handed him a blank cheque and told him to fill in an amount. 

No shame in getting played by these types.

Everybody got played on this one

Gord,  already I posted something like this and fitting with what you are saying.

I think Feaster thought it was a done deal with the Bruins when he told PC he had won the sweepstakes.  The Pens probably already gave their final final offer (i.e. 1st and Agostino) and didn't come close to what the Bs offered.  Also I'm certain Shero knows that Iginla want to be there and I'm not a bit surprised he's already told Crosby "don't worry I have the last say and I will be a Pen just make sure your GM give them more than just a bag of puck"

Feaster now calls Iginla to tell him the Bruins gave him by far the best offer and he had no choice to take it.  This is when Iinla becomes a GM and tells Feaster that the Pens will match it and make a better offer. Calls Crosby or maybe even Shero direct (who knows) but for certain it's someone in the Pens organization to sweeten the deal etc... now the Bruins got hoodwinked and poor PC has no clue what's going on.

In the end I have nothing against Iginla wanting to go to the Pens, he chose what he felt was best for him, it's fine to be selfish and good for him.  I just don't like the way it went down, just dirty !  Shero is not as good as people say he is, he just has all the leverage and the best player in the world, not only is he the best but also a very good GM.

This script I wrote should have started with " Based on true events "

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Steve -

You still didn't answer my question.  "Why would Iginla care"........

Why would management present it differently if there were different players involved?  They told the Bruins, the deal was done.  In essence, you're suggesting Feaster cares more about Iginla's comfort, than his own team, and perhaps more importantly.....his own reputation.  

Steve, for gods sake ...because it was better for them to do so. What is so complex about that?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

My opinion ? Stupidity ! 

Chowda,

If PC had offered a much better deal than Shero, do you think Feaster would have even mentioned Pitt to Iginla?

Example:

With Boston's offer clearly out in front, what would compel Feaster to bring the Pitt offer to Iginla?

Regardless of Boston's offer, what would compel Feaster to bring the Pitt offer to Iginla, "after he agreed" to a deal with PC.

That's the whole key here.  The Boston deal, was a done deal.  The absence of a spirited Calgary denial would be enough proof for any junior magistrate.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Chowda,

Example:

I'm not sure if this post is sarcastic or serious ? Clarification is needed before I reply. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

and exactly why would PC up his offer to above market value for Iginla (prez of the cindy crysby fan club) when he was told his offer was accepted? Every GM worth his salt tries to get the best deal he can. PC did it the right way and the only thing i can fault him on is underestimating the stupidity and bad faith that the Calgary GM and ownership were capable of. Yes, deals fall apart all the time, even in the last minute. But after you've been told you have a deal? That's pretty rare I would guess.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Chowda,

Example:

I'm not sure if this post is sarcastic or serious ? Clarification is needed before I reply. 

100% serious.

If the B's offer was much better than Pittsburgh's, is there any reason at all for Feaster to mention an offer from Pitt at all?

My answer is "no".  Why would he?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Example:

You're right if you go with that mentality of an offer he can't refuse (i.e. remove Koko and add Krejci) . In the end Iginla has the last say , Bruins just got weaker and more of a reason for him to push a deal with the Pens. Pens could counter and add a lesser player, let's say Kennedy and Iginla would still be Pen today.

Bottom line is no matter what PC would have done I really believe he would still go to the Pittsburgh, maybe today they would still be negotiating with the fnal verdict Iginla going there. It's what he wanted

I'm just glad it's over with so Chiarelli still has time and can move to the next trade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Answer would be HELL NO !  That team just got worse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

And Feaster could have come back to Iginla and said, "Pittsburgh won't offer enough.  There is no deal there.  It's Boston for a playoff run or golfing.  You have a NMC.  The choice is yours."

Everyone saying that Boston had no chance is suggesting that Iginla has the right or desire to force a trade.  That just wasn't the case. 

I think the no deal there did happen and that's when others stepped in to come close to the Bruins offer. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

100% serious.

If the B's offer was much better than Pittsburgh's, is there any reason at all for Feaster to mention an offer from Pitt at all?

My answer is "no".  Why would he?

[/QUOTE]

Respect for a player who's jersey will be retired there. I'm thinking honesty has some sort of relevance in having a player waive his NTC. Don't you ?

If Iginla asked if there was an offer from Pittsburgh, should Feaster have lied to him ? The truth would eventually surface. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

It was never a 'real list'.

Ciarelli's offer was good enough to expose this fact.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Respect for a player who's jersey will be retired there. I'm thinking honesty has some sort of relevance in having a player waive his NTC. Don't you ?

If Iginla asked if there was an offer from Pittsburgh, should Feaster have lied to him ? The truth would eventually surface. 

[/QUOTE]

and Iginla knew. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's not Iginla's place to know what offers are coming in.  I don't care how long he played there.  He has his NMC.  That's his power.  He didn't negotiate an omniscience clause.  He negotiated the right to reject a deal.

If the Boston deal was much better, instead of being more similar, Feaster would have no reason to give Iginla the option.

It would have been:

"Jarome, I got a deal I like from Boston.  Will you agree to a trade to Boston?"

If you scenario was correct, and Iginla asked about Pitt, the response woudl be:

"Many teams have made offers.  Boston's is the one I'm willing to accept."

Sections
Shortcuts