PC Presser

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: PC Presser

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

If Iginla asked if there was an offer from Pittsburgh, should Feaster have lied to him ? The truth would eventually surface. 

The truth?  It's not Iginla's place to ask in the first place.

"Hey Feaster.  Yeah, I'll go to Boston, but before I agree to that, please be sure to call Ray Shero and try to get me there, okay?"

- Jarome, the deal is with Boston.  I spoke with Shero.  Their offer doesn't compare to Boston's.

"Well, let me see the paperwork on it.  I want to review it."

- Go play in Boston or get your golf clubs ready.  The choice is yours.

"But, but but but I have a no movement clause."

- Yes you do, but your a player.  I'm the GM.  This stuff is nunya.  So, Boston?

"Yes.  Sure is better than this place."

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I believe what I've heard PC. Iginla and Feaster say - and more importantly what Feaster has not said.

And I think anyone who is reasonable and has a slightly open mind on this subject has the same interpretation as every media source I've read so far.  Not because it's a media spin, but because it fits with the facts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

In response to stevegm's comment:

JW, you're making at least one assumption that really has squat to do with the outcome....and that's what's clouding your position.

Why would Iginla give two hoots about who was gonna go back to Calgary?

Steve -

Not cloudy here, clear skies, thanks

If Calgary wanted the Boston offer that much more than the Pitt offer, they would have presented it differently to Iginla. It's not what Iginla thought, it's what the organization thought. And, I think the B's offer was weak...the best you can say about it was, it suked slightly less than the Pitt offer, and that's what put the players decision in the mix. It should be obvious that he was going to choose Pitt over Boston with every thing being equal. Should have never been equal, and the GM should have considered that if he wanted him that bad, otherwise you just lost the guy you targeted to two college prospects, and that gave Calgary and Iginla an out that they should have never been given... IMO

Peronally, I would drive Caron and Krug to Calgary myself to get Iginla -

You still didn't answer my question.  "Why would Iginla care"........

Why would management present it differently if there were different players involved?  They told the Bruins, the deal was done.  In essence, you're suggesting Feaster cares more about Iginla's comfort, than his own team, and perhaps more importantly.....his own reputation.  

Steve, for gods sake ...because it was better for them to do so. What is so complex about that?

Not making it complex at all JW.  It's really very straight forward.  Feaster had it all.  He had the best deal in hand from the Bruins, and he informed the Bruins they had a deal.

In 99.9% of business dealings...that's it.

Because it didn't go down...Feaster now looks like an idiot.....a bumbling, dishonest idiot.

That obviously didn't happen because Feaster wanted it to.  It happened because Iginla vetoed the trade.  In order for your scenario to hold water, Iginla has to become more concerned with who's being traded to Calgary....than where he ultimately winds up.  That makes your scenario incredibly complex.

Iginla has the choice to stay in Calgary for another month with no financial repurcussions, or basically play for free after that, with a contender.  Giving everyone the benefit of doubt here, it's a good bet that Jerome changed his mind after that short list was agreed to.  He saw Pittsburgh make a couple decent moves, took note of Bostons recent struggles, and at the last minute decided if he couldn't have Pitt, he was gonna stay.  If he stayed for one more meaningless month, the Flames get absolutely zilch. 

He forced their hand.

Even if Boston topped up their offer with Subban and Spooner, what difference would that make to Iggy?  It's crazy to think he really is very interested where the Flames go from here.  If he was.....he'd have been fine with Bostons offer which is clearly, much better than Pittsburghs.  The Pitt prospects aren't even signed, and a Bruin 1st will be a better pick than the Penguins.

Not looking to argue, but clearly...there is nothing that would suggest a better offering from the Bruins would have changed anything. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

---

Not his place ? He has a NTC . Darn right it's his place.

Calgary came to him to do this , not the other way around. He has the final say to stay or go anywhere. Calgary has to like it or lump it. Or get nothing for him when he becomes a UFA at the end of the year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

"Hey Feaster.  Yeah, I'll go to Boston, but before I agree to that, please be sure to call Ray Shero and try to get me there, okay?"

- Jarome, the deal is with Boston.  I spoke with Shero.  Their offer doesn't compare to Boston's.

- Yes you do, but your a player.  I'm the GM.  This stuff is nunya.  So, Boston?

[/QUOTE]

You're leaving a lot out nas.  It is "Iginla's place" if that's what he negotiated, and he obviously did that in the last little while.

If Feaster plays hardball, as you say would've been so easy, he could have done that, and kept some credibility within the industry by sending Jerome to the Bruins.

Don't you think that would be a much more appealing option to Feaster than what actually went down?

There's also the very stark reality, that if Jerome doesn't go where he wants to go....he merely sticks around for another 3 weeks, and the Flames get zero.   Nothing.

Calgary has already stated they're through with Jerome Iginla, and that kind of news never endears an athlete to his lifelong employer. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Wow ..open minded indeed

Look, everything you guys are saying IS TURE - Based on two sucka$$ offers, it's obvious Iginla was going to Pitt and it was the players decision. Thats only true when you view the circumstances inside that vacuum of everything being equal - it shouldn't have been  equal when the real possibility of that was in play, cause you were going to lose that battle everytime. Didn't anyone consider that a possibility? That's  the real issue imo.

I believe if PC offered for example a 1st, krug and Caron - then Iginla never gets the Pitt offer, and he's dressing tomorrow in black and gold. PC went in on the cheap and tried to protect as many assests as he could, which is admirable in most deals - NOT THIS ONE. The fact is that Iginla is going to Pitt fro two college prospects and we offered to dump Matt Bartkowski into their laps to get the deal done. Wow, the Bruins offer was significantly better ? Give me a break - Who would want that ? Now the Pitt offer is on the table - and bang. What a shocker ! Jarome went to Pitt and we held onto Caron, Krug Bartkowski. That's a good job? OK- Different opinions are fine, and that's mine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You're leaving a lot out nas.  It is "Iginla's place" if that's what he negotiated, and he obviously did that in the last little while.

If Feaster plays hardball, as you say would've been so easy, he could have done that, and kept some credibility within the industry by sending Jerome to the Bruins.

Don't you think that would be a much more appealing option to Feaster than what actually went down?

There's also the very stark reality, that if Jerome doesn't go where he wants to go....he merely sticks around for another 3 weeks, and the Flames get zero.   Nothing.

Calgary has already stated they're through with Jerome Iginla, and that kind of news never endears an athlete to his lifelong employer. 

[/QUOTE]

Iginla's contract called for him to have approval on any movement.  It did not call for him to review all offers made to the Flames for him.

Given the opportunity to chase the Cup with Boston or surely be golfing again, Iginla would have chosen Boston.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Sounds to me like other people in the hierchy of the Flames thought Iginla submitted a list of 4 teams he would accept a trade to. Feaster decides which one is best for the Flames and deals him to that team. Not Feaster taking offers and letting Iginla decide.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Iginla's contract called for him to have approval on any movement.  It did not call for him to review all offers made to the Flames for him.

Given the opportunity to chase the Cup with Boston or surely be golfing again, Iginla would have chosen Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Review all offers ? How about pick the team he desires. 

And in the end that's what happened.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Sounds to me like other people in the hierchy of the Flames thought Iginla submitted a list of 4 teams he would accept a trade to. Feaster decides which one is best for the Flames and deals him to that team. Not Feaster taking offers and letting Iginla decide.

They should have had some sort of document with Iginla's signature on it and filed with the league if this is what their intentions were.

They didn't.

On Sportsnet last night Ken King, President of the Flames conceded that's what they should have done. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[/QUOTE]

He has the right to reject any movement.

Sure, he can say, "See if you can deal me to Pitt."

And Feaster can say, "Nothing doing in Pitt.  Boston's the best deal.  Want to go there or stay here?"

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If Iginla asked if there was an offer from Pittsburgh, should Feaster have lied to him ? The truth would eventually surface. 

Yup.  I just want to add, that in the event  that in the event that Iginla would not accept the trade to Boston, the conversation could have ended like this:

"Then no. Its Pitt or nowhere."

-Look, I can certainly understand wanting to play with such unique talents; however, you gave us a list of teams where you would be willing to play.  We worked out a trade with one of those teams that we would really like to make.  To U turn right now, and go back on your word is not fair to us.  We would appreciate it if you would go home, get some rest, and think about what you are asking us to do (take an offer that we feel is inferior after already agreeing to a list).  Considering everything that youve done for this franchise and the kind of player you are, I trust that you will come around and be reasonable about this.  Sleep on it and meet me in my office at 10 am tomorrow .  We can discuss this further.

To me...thats a kicker (not the kicker, because there are multiple kickers)....but one of the kickers was the fact that: Wedensday wasnt the deadline!  Feasters hands were not tied.  He had more time to smooth this over.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to winthecup's comment:

Respect for a player who's jersey will be retired there. I'm thinking honesty has some sort of relevance in having a player waive his NTC. Don't you ?

It's not Iginla's place to know what offers are coming in.  I don't care how long he played there.  He has his NMC.  That's his power.  He didn't negotiate an omniscience clause.  He negotiated the right to reject a deal.

If the Boston deal was much better, instead of being more similar, Feaster would have no reason to give Iginla the option.

It would have been:

"Jarome, I got a deal I like from Boston.  Will you agree to a trade to Boston?"

If you scenario was correct, and Iginla asked about Pitt, the response woudl be:

"Many teams have made offers.  Boston's is the one I'm willing to accept."

Time to move on Iginla's gone,i think he is  a jerk and so is Calgary GM,but who do Bruins go after now,what's done is done

To clarify: Im not hung up over the fact that we did not get Iginla.  I just continue to find humor in the incompetence of Calgary's upper management.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

It was not a 'real list'.

Boston was needed to create the illusion of a real marketplace.

Chiarelli was the honest, unwitting and necessary Third Party to Feaster's and Iginla's individual and combined desires for a resolution both practical and decorative to everyone - everyone except the Third Party.

Really, Feaster should've saved everyone a lot of time - and maybe his job - and pulled 'An O'Connell'; sent the face of his franchise to another team under the cover of night with no fake list, no pretend open market, no public charade that abuses an honest and respected colleague   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Wow ..open minded indeed

Look, everything you guys are saying IS TURE - Based on two sucka$$ offers, it's obvious Iginla was going to Pitt and it was the players decision. Thats only true when you view the circumstances inside that vacuum of everything being equal - it shouldn't have been  equal when the real possibility of that was in play, cause you were going to lose that battle everytime. Didn't anyone consider that a possibility? That's  the real issue imo.

I believe if PC offered for example a 1st, krug and Caron - then Iginla never gets the Pitt offer, and he's dressing tomorrow in black and gold. PC went in on the cheap and tried to protect as many assests as he could, which is admirable in most deals - NOT THIS ONE. The fact is that Iginla is going to Pitt fro two college prospects and we offered to dump Matt Bartkowski into their laps to get the deal done. Wow, the Bruins offer was significantly better ? Give me a break - Who would want that ? Now the Pitt offer is on the table - and bang. What a shocker ! Jarome went to Pitt and we held onto Caron, Krug Bartkowski. That's a good job? OK- Different opinions are fine, and that's mine.

So you're saying the "KEY"  is the fact that a better offer "wouldn't" have been discussed with Iginla, and that would have made all the difference?  Do you really feel Feaster talked this over with Iginla as a mere courtesy?  Isn't it more reasonable to assume he only figured that out after he gave the Bruins his word their deal was approved ?

You're hanging your hat on that one small piece of conjecture when there are several more that should point you in a different direction?  Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but you should be open to changing it too.

If it wasn't common knowledge that Pittsburgh already decided the Bruins offer was good enough, and told them they had a deal, your theory would make a lot of sense.  Knowing those 2 facts though, makes it incredibly far fetched.  You present as fact, the pieces being offerred by Boston to be a joke, yet you refuse to understand the Penguins didn't see them that way at all.  They saw them as ample return, and agreed on the deal.  No one in pro hockey is arguing that, so it should be considered factual.

There's much more.

Do you realize just how demeaning it is to be Jay Feaster these days?  These guys will go to pretty much any extreme to avoid looking as dumb as this guy does right now.  You really think he figures he could have avoided that by merely "not discussing the deal with Jerome".  If so, why did he do it in the first place.  That would make him even dumber than he is now.

And there's the whole "sweepstakes" process.  If the Bruins woulda/coulda offerred up more, so would have the Penguins.  So would have anyone else.  Even a terrible GM would be hard pressed to screw up that option.  The only reason that option wasn't excercised, was because it wasn't available.  That's pretty clear.

Iginla didn't have to be dealt in the middle of the night Thursday for a group of players you consider junk(me too).  The reason that happened is obvious.  Feaster had no other options.  It was Pittsburgh or nowhere, otherwise he'd of got back on the phone and said something like, "sorry Pete, I know I said we have a deal, but I got a better one, and ownership trumped me,,if you want him ya got to do better".  After that call, Feaster would dial any other interested party to keep things going.  Sure, that's greasy, but less greasy than what he ultimately did.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[/QUOTE]

Correct.  He didnt have to present Pitt as on option.  He should have presented it as Boston or no trade.  And if Iginla asked if Pitt was an option, Feaster should have said no (assuming he liked the Bos offer better).  He should have said no even if Pitt actually was an option.  Its called a bluff.

Call it negotiating strategy/savvy/competency.  Feaster displayed a lack of it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

And Feaster can say, "Nothing doing in Pitt.  Boston's the best deal.  Want to go there or stay here?"

[/QUOTE]

In reply to that Iginla could have said " Pitt or stay here" knowing Calgary wanted assets back before he goes to free agency.

He held all the cards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[/QUOTE]

This does not happen . 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[/QUOTE]

Wait, you mean he could have used tact during a negotiation?  What a groundbreaking concept.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In reply to that Iginla could have said " Pitt or stay here" knowing Calgary wanted assets back before he goes to free agency.

He held all the cards.

[/QUOTE]

Not on Wednesday he didnt.  If this trade deadline minus one hour, then sure.  But there was still time to show Iginla that he was exploiting an albeit massive oversight on the part of the team that he has given his heart and soul to for 16 years and not exhibiting any kind of good faith.

This ended before it should have ended.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[/QUOTE]

Nope.  What his contract says means nothing in this context, it's the adendum to his contract that's key.  Appears it was a verbal thing.  Although there is no cut and dried reality here, it's a real stretch to assume that management shared this information as a mere courtesy.  It's an even bigger stretch to assume a better package from the Bruins would mean diddly as far as Iginla would be concerned.

Bigger still, is the assumption that anyone could be so stupid as to discuss this stuff with the player after you've informed your trading partner the deal has been consumated.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

He held all the cards.

Not on Wednesday he didnt.  If this trade deadline minusone hour, then sure.  But there was still time to show Iginla that he was exploiting an albeit massive oversight on the part of the team that he has given his heart and soul to for 16 years and not exhibiting any kind of good faith.

This ended before it should have ended.

[/QUOTE]

Drew, that's the surest sign that Iginla held all the cards. Clearly, Feaster had time left to go back to PC and ask im to up his offer if he was interested in acquiring Iginla. Feaster had another week to negotiate with teams if he chose to.  Why didn't this happen? It's because Iginla decided on Pitt and Feaster was left with the choice of keeping him or accepting what Pitt had to offer. He decided to deal him. End of story.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

@DarrenDreger

"Some believe Iginla's choice to play with the Penguins was made long before the decision and trade was made final last night."

Iginla wanted to go to Pittsburgh and I can't blame him.

Sections
Shortcuts