PC Presser

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: PC Presser

In response to stevegm's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

You're leaving a lot out nas.  It is "Iginla's place" if that's what he negotiated, and he obviously did that in the last little while.

If Feaster plays hardball, as you say would've been so easy, he could have done that, and kept some credibility within the industry by sending Jerome to the Bruins.

Don't you think that would be a much more appealing option to Feaster than what actually went down?

There's also the very stark reality, that if Jerome doesn't go where he wants to go....he merely sticks around for another 3 weeks, and the Flames get zero.   Nothing.

Calgary has already stated they're through with Jerome Iginla, and that kind of news never endears an athlete to his lifelong employer. 

Iginla's contract called for him to have approval on any movement.  It did not call for him to review all offers made to the Flames for him.

Given the opportunity to chase the Cup with Boston or surely be golfing again, Iginla would have chosen Boston.

Correct.  He didnt have to present Pitt as on option. He should have presented it as Boston or no trade.  And if Iginla asked if Pitt was an option, Feaster should have said no (assuming he liked the Bos offer better).  He should have said no even if Pitt actually was an option.  Its called a bluff.

Call it negotiating strategy/savvy/competency.  Feaster displayed a lack of it.

No it's not.  We have no idea whether Iginla negotiated that nugget, when he opened up the no movement thing.  It's also of no consequence.

What we do have is enough information to make an informed judgement.  We know Iginla doesn't have to go anywhere.  He can ultimately choose his destination.  Unless those locales are legalized, everything is just on the honour system.

We know Crosby was in on things, so Iginla knew the Penguins were in the hunt.  Feaster can't bluff that.  It's a certainty Iginla was told he was traded to Boston.  That's when he started flexing his muscles.  Obviously, Iginla then said he decided he wasn't interested in going to Boston, and since he already knew Pittsburgh wanted him, he merely stated Pittsburgh or nothing.  Since the flames knew "legally", Jerome had them by the short hairs, they went in to spin mode.

[/QUOTE]

See, I dont know why you went on the attack, because I dont disagree with this (much).  I just think that Calgary conceded too early.  If it was trade deadline minus 1 hour, sure go into spin mode....All you can do.

But you could have pointed out to Jarome that Jarome was taking a franchise that he loved for 16 years and holding them by the short hairs.  They could have tried a little harder to sell him on why going to Boston would be the honorable thing to do (regardless of whether or not it was in his right to say Pitt or no trade).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Comes down to this: when a good businessman knows that the other side has him by the short hairs, he doesnt accept it.

He tries to salvage the best of a bad situation until he has to accept it.

This is why the lockout dragged on for so long.  This is why union negotiations often come down to the 11th hour.  This is why political decisions usually dont get finalized until the 11th hour.

Feaster gave up too early.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Ken King (Flame Chairman & CEO) and Jarome Iginla are best buddies. They wend their way amongst the Socialite Calgary Set for years now. They are very tight.

Jarome tells Ken of the 4 teams he will accept a trade to. Ken, because Jarome is his best buddy, doesn't even think about having it put in writing and getting all parties to sign - Jarome is my best pal, he won't screw me.

Ken then tells Jay that Jarome is waiving his NMC to one of just 4 teams and to go ahead a make the best deal possible.

Jay Feaster makes his deal. He tells Jarome. Jarome is good with it.

Shero hears the deal is going down. He calls Sidney. Sidney calls Jarome. Sid tells Jarome that they made a bid for him.

All hell breaks loose and everyone's word goes down the drain.

That does it for me.

I don't want to hear another thing about Jarome Iginla until we beat his and Pit's butts in the playoffs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

Ken King (Flame Chairman & CEO) and Jarome Iginla are best buddies. They wend their way amongst the Socialite Calgary Set for years now. They are very tight.

Jarome tells Ken of the 4 teams he will accept a trade to. Ken, because Jarome is his best buddy, doesn't even think about having it put in writing and getting all parties to sign - Jarome is my best pal, he won't screw me.

Ken then tells Jay that Jarome is waiving his NMC to one of just 4 teams and to go ahead a make the best deal possible.

Shero hears the deal is going down. He calls Sidney. Sidney calls Jarome. Sid tells Jarome that they made a bid for him.

That does it for me.

I don't want to hear another thing about Jarome Iginla until we beat his and Pit's butts in the playoffs.

You know NOTHING of Jarome's character & you're talking out of your butt crack! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

PC was totally schooled on this one. That's why I don't like him as a GM. He gets rid of scoring claiming he can easily replace it, then finds out he's outclassed by guys like Shero. Then he pays oodles to sign a career undersized minor leaue defenseman to a one way contract on the verbal (not even written) word of Feaster, then gets stuck eating that contract. The only winer here on the Bruins end is Bartkowski. We'll be stuck watching him play for the Rbuins now just so Chia saves face for signing the one-way.His only hope now is that Mike Mottau and Brian Rolston come out of retirement to bolster this year's cup run like they did last year.

On a constructive note, Ryan Clowe would look very nice in a B's uniform!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

and now the early happy hour crowd comes in on the thread

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to OrrEspoCash's comment:

PC was totally schooled on this one. That's why I don't like him as a GM. He gets rid of scoring claiming he can easily replace it, then finds out he's outclassed by guys like Shero. Then he pays oodles to sign a career undersized minor leaue defenseman to a one way contract on the verbal (not even written) word of Feaster, then gets stuck eating that contract. The only winer here on the Bruins end is Bartkowski. We'll be stuck watching him play for the Rbuins now just so Chia saves face for signing the one-way.His only hope now is that Mike Mottau and Brian Rolston come out of retirement to bolster this year's cup run like they did last year.

Bartkowski's salary is $650,000 next season so he will hardly break the bank.

On everything else you suggest, we are not as far off in thought as I would like....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Oh boy, where to start...

I'm concinved that Wensink and OrrEspo are the same poster.  Or at least share the same brain.

Is Bartkowski really 'undersized'? At 6'1 and 200 lbs??  Huh.  But Couturier is still huge, right?  I know you have interent access, because you post here, so this is puzzling.

Read some of the many threads here on the Iginla deal to brush up on what happened.  It's not what you think.

You like Clowe and his zero goals on the season?  That's your solution to PC "getting rid of scoring"?  Explain.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

That does it for me.

You know NOTHING of Jarome's character & you're talking out of your butt crack! 

His character has been clearly exposed.

I hope my smell filters through right into his nostrils.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Yooouu don't know me.....[ punches air and falls over ]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I'm concinved that Wensink and OrrEspo are the same poster.  Or at least share the same brain.

Is Bartkowski really 'undersized'? At 6'1 and 200 lbs??  Huh.  But Couturier is still huge, right?  I know you have interent access, because you post here, so this is puzzling.

Read some of the many threads here on the Iginla deal to brush up on what happened.  It's not what you think.

You like Clowe and his zero goals on the season?  That's your solution to PC "getting rid of scoring"?  Explain.

Hey look it's fletch the liar sticking his head out to take shots at people-

FWIW Bartkowski SUCKS. I guess the real well informed smart posters know better cause he "played in the NHL" just like Bitz, Whitfield and Hamill did - the only thing worse than taking Bartkowski in a deal is taking two Bartkowskis in a deal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

You don't like a GM who managed to dump Timmy's contract?

Everything Shero has gotten has practically dropped into his lap.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

FWIW Bartkowski SUCKS. I guess the real well informed smart posters know better cause he "played in the NHL" just like Bitz, Whitfield and Hamill did - the only thing worse than taking Bartkowski in a deal is taking two Bartkowskis in a deal.

Yeah, let's take 2 unsigned players instead and after that we can grab some scratch tickets.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Yeah, let's take 2 unsigned players instead and after that we can grab some scratch tickets.

No let's defend signing him on a verbal and then sit him out - how f'd up is that?  You're behind that move  -wow?

I guess you'll say anything to make an arguement

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

No let's defend signing him on a verbal and then sit him out - how f'd up is that?  You're behind that move  -wow?

Iginla sat out on a verbal as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I'm not making an argument, you are. I'm discussing the FACTS of what took place. Iginla had a NMC. Iginla had FINAL SAY on ANY TRADE DESTINATION. It didn't matter if PC offered Feaster Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, and Seguin. The final say was Iginla's. That's a fact regardless of whether you're willing to change your mind or not. Your opinion doesn't change the facts one iota. That's why they're facts.  Your opinion is pure conjecture whereas Iginla's NMC was a fact.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I'm not making an argument, you are. I'm discussing the FACTS of what took place. Iginla had a NMC. Iginla had FINAL SAY on ANY TRADE DESTINATION. It didn't matter if PC offered Feaster Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, and Seguin. The final say was Iginla's. That's a fact regardless of whether you're willing to change your mind or not. Your opinion doesn't change the facts one iota. That's why they're facts.  Your opinion is pure conjecture whereas Iginla's NMC was a fact.

Thats as dumb as it gets - how you claim thats a "fact" is mindless and has no merit at all

Not following down into the gutter on this one

we- disagree and I'm good with that

Cheers!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Thats as dumb as it gets - how you claim thats a "fact" is mindless and has no merit at all

Not following down into the gutter on this one

we- disagree and I'm good with that

Cheers!

So now you're refuting the fact that Iginla had a NMC? Am I reading this correctly?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The facts behind what went down (feel free to read up on it) do not support the notion that Feaster wasn't happy with PC's offer.  You can blame him all you want, its just that everyone else may point out that it doesn't make any sense, when you review the actual circumstances. Every single story on this deal comes back to the fact that the Bruins offer was more desirable, but it didn't matter because Iginla had final say.  You're out on an island disputing this.

As far as Bartkowski, I wouldn't agrue that he'll be anything special because I really don't know yet (neither do you).  He might be a 5-6 NHL defensemen, he might not.

But the idea here, that you're missing, is to compare him to what the Pens offered.   A guy who is playing in the NHL is typically more valuable than a guy who is playing in the NCAAs.  Most NCAA players don't ever make the NHL.  Even the drafted ones.  The NHL is a better league than the NCAAs. 

And Koko was the best prospect involved.  No?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

You're leaving a lot out nas.  It is "Iginla's place" if that's what he negotiated, and he obviously did that in the last little while.

If Feaster plays hardball, as you say would've been so easy, he could have done that, and kept some credibility within the industry by sending Jerome to the Bruins.

Don't you think that would be a much more appealing option to Feaster than what actually went down?

There's also the very stark reality, that if Jerome doesn't go where he wants to go....he merely sticks around for another 3 weeks, and the Flames get zero.   Nothing.

Calgary has already stated they're through with Jerome Iginla, and that kind of news never endears an athlete to his lifelong employer. 

Iginla's contract called for him to have approval on any movement.  It did not call for him to review all offers made to the Flames for him.

Given the opportunity to chase the Cup with Boston or surely be golfing again, Iginla would have chosen Boston.

Correct.  He didnt have to present Pitt as on option. He should have presented it as Boston or no trade.  And if Iginla asked if Pitt was an option, Feaster should have said no (assuming he liked the Bos offer better).  He should have said no even if Pitt actually was an option.  Its called a bluff.

No it's not.  We have no idea whether Iginla negotiated that nugget, when he opened up the no movement thing.  It's also of no consequence.

What we do have is enough information to make an informed judgement.  We know Iginla doesn't have to go anywhere.  He can ultimately choose his destination.  Unless those locales are legalized, everything is just on the honour system.

We know Crosby was in on things, so Iginla knew the Penguins were in the hunt.  Feaster can't bluff that.  It's a certainty Iginla was told he was traded to Boston.  That's when he started flexing his muscles.  Obviously, Iginla then said he decided he wasn't interested in going to Boston, and since he already knew Pittsburgh wanted him, he merely stated Pittsburgh or nothing.  Since the flames knew "legally", Jerome had them by the short hairs, they went in to spin mode.

See, I dont know why you went on the attack, because I dont disagree with this (much).  I just think that Calgary conceded too early.  If it was trade deadline minus 1 hour, sure go into spin mode....All you can do.

But you could have pointed out to Jarome that Jarome was taking a franchise that he loved for 16 years and holding them by the short hairs.  They could have tried a little harder to sell him on why going to Boston would be the honorable thing to do (regardless of whether or not it was in his right to say Pitt or no trade).

[/QUOTE]

Didn't/not going into attack mode.  I have a few of your posts to answer, and I'll try and be forthright and succinct in all of them.

You make a very valid point about letting Iginla "hang" for a while, but that's also a basic management function.  Assuming Feaster isn't an A class GM is one thing, but assuming he's a total idiot is another.  He's gotta have at least a slight grasp, and if he doesn't, the Flames front office, most certainly do.

Therefore, the only plausible reason that didn't happen, was because the GM got hung out.  Someone in the hierarchy just wanted this to get over quickly.  There's no way Feaster wouldn't have firmly and honestly dealt with Iginla instead of turning the gun on himself.  No one is that stupid.

You also pointed out Calgary could have "tried harder" to sell Iginla on Boston.  I interpret that to mean "try longer".  To me, and many employers, 8 or 9 hours should be enough time to get a clear picture.  Remember, Feaster is only the face of the management group, he doesn't wield absolute power, therefore he was really the only one who could get the shaft here.  Iginla had options.  He could have threatened to hold out, getting the Flames zero return.  There are many scenario's.  One doesn't need the ability to pick the right one.  It's just pretty straight forward, that this thing isn't just Feaster being a two faced, lying, double dealing, incompetent bastard.  There are too many signs pointing to the fact that while though quite possibly a bit incompetent...Feaster got hosed too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The facts behind what went down (feel free to read up on it) do not support the notion that Feaster wasn't happy with PC's offer.  You can blame him all you want, its just that everyone else may point out that it doesn't make any sense, when you review the actual circumstances. Every single story on this deal comes back to the fact that the Bruins offer was more desirable, but it didn't matter because Iginla had final say.  You're out on an island disputing this.

As far as Bartkowski, I wouldn't agrue that he'll be anything special because I really don't know yet (neither do you).  He might be a 5-6 NHL defensemen, he might not.

But the idea here, that you're missing, is to compare him to what the Pens offered.   A guy who is playing in the NHL is typically more valuable than a guy who is playing in the NCAAs.  Most NCAA players don't ever make the NHL.  Even the drafted ones.  The NHL is a better league than the NCAAs. 

And Koko was the best prospect involved.  No?

Look at this objectively

The Penguins offer

Kenneth Agostinho 5th round 5 140 overall, 5'11" 195 lbs, college player, no contract

Ben Hanowski, 3rd round pick #140 overall, 6'2" 210, college player no contract

1st round pick

Bruins offer

Bartkowski round 7 190 overall,  6'1" 203 lbs., played jr., college, ahl and 11 nhl games under contract

Koko round 2 40 overall, 5'10" 172, jr., ahl, khl, under contract.

1st round pick

------------------------------------------

Hanowski's numbers have declined in his senior year, this can be a bad sign, however he does have size.  Huge question mark if he can make the ahl.

Agostinho's numbers are not impressive and only show slight improvement.  he's another huge question mark if he can make the ahl.

So we talking about a proven AHL with some NHL experience player, a proven KHL with some AHL player vs. 2 guys who were drafted.  There isn't even a comparison here.

You might say Bartkowski is terrible, but he is an AHL regular, the 2 college guys from Pittsburg not even be AHL or even ECHL regulars.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

If Iginla asked if there was an offer from Pittsburgh, should Feaster have lied to him ? The truth would eventually surface. 

The truth?  It's not Iginla's place to ask in the first place.

"Hey Feaster.  Yeah, I'll go to Boston, but before I agree to that, please be sure to call Ray Shero and try to get me there, okay?"

- Jarome, the deal is with Boston.  I spoke with Shero.  Their offer doesn't compare to Boston's.

"Well, let me see the paperwork on it.  I want to review it."

- Go play in Boston or get your golf clubs ready.  The choice is yours.

"But, but but but I have a no movement clause."

- Yes you do, but your a player.  I'm the GM.  This stuff is nunya.  So, Boston?

"Yes.  Sure is better than this place."

Yup.  I just want to add, that in the event  that in the event that Iginla would not accept the trade to Boston, the conversation could have ended like this:

"But, but but but I have a no movement clause."

- Yes you do, but your a player.  I'm the GM.  This stuff is nunya.  So, Boston?

"Then no. Its Pitt or nowhere."

-Look, I can certainly understand wanting to play with such unique talents; however, you gave us a list of teams where you would be willing to play.  We worked out a trade with one of those teams that we would really like to make.  To U turn right now, and go back on your word is not fair to us.  We would appreciate it if you would go home, get some rest, and think about what you are asking us to do (take an offer that we feel is inferior after already agreeing to a list).  Considering everything that youve done for this franchise and the kind of player you are, I trust that you will come around and be reasonable about this.  Sleep on it and meet me in my office at 10 am tomorrow .  We can discuss this further.

To me...thats a kicker (not the kicker, because there are multiple kickers)....but one of the kickers was the fact that: Wedensday wasnt the deadline!  Feasters hands were not tied.  He had more time to smooth this over.

Drew, I'd be shocked if all that, plus much more that we'll ever know was blurted out in the first 5 minutes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Review all offers ? How about pick the team he desires. 

And in the end that's what happened.

He has the right to reject any movement.

Sure, he can say, "See if you can deal me to Pitt."

And Feaster can say, "Nothing doing in Pitt.  Boston's the best deal.  Want to go there or stay here?"

Wait, you mean he could have used tact during a negotiation?  What a groundbreaking concept.

[/QUOTE]

Obviously, in some circles of flames management, the thought of Iginla "staying" was revolting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Correct.  He didnt have to present Pitt as on option.  He should have presented it as Boston or no trade.  And if Iginla asked if Pitt was an option, Feaster should have said no (assuming he liked the Bos offer better).  He should have said no even if Pitt actually was an option.  Its called a bluff.

[/QUOTE]

Do you think Iginla didn't know Pittsburgh wanted him.  Unless you feel thast way, everything above is moot

Sections
Shortcuts