PC : Seguin, an inch taller and bigger

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: PC : Seguin, an inch taller and bigger

I could give a rats what position he plays as long as he plays well.  I many ways, the most important distinction between being a C and a W is about your defensive responsibilities and not your offensive game.  Look at Stamkos - shoot first C with a playmaking RW in St. Louis.  It works - in which case, who cares what the hockey card reads?

Based on what I've said on the Doughty thread, I think I pretty much have no choice but to say I'd deal DK for Shea Weber if you think you can sign Weber.  Regardless of Seguin.  But I'm also quite happy to deal with known quantities here - we know DK works well with Horton and Lucic, Bergeron with Marchand.  We know the Defense as a whole plays Julien's system well.  We know Seguin can score highlight reel goals if he can get into space with speed, and we may not know he'll score more this year, but we can make an educated guess.  So I'm just fine not pushing the envelope here and saying that a leap forward from Seguin plus solid years from DK and PB = a very respectable forward corps.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I can't think of the last time I was this pumped about a B's player.

Good stuff Chowda.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: PC : Seguin, an inch taller and bigger:[QUOTE]Rather then figuring out where he slots on the wing, I would rather the bruins move him to center.. First line is in tact, the bergeron line would look well with caron on the wing.. A move that puts seguin on center, and sees him on the PP would be more enticing to me.. I dont want him converted to wing long term, ala kessel...
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

We all know when Julien finally lets play center when he's better defensively then you might see Kelly gone. His shot is too good to not be on the PP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: PC : Seguin, an inch taller and bigger:
    [QUOTE] I hope he gets a chance to breakthrough on the Bergy-Marchand line.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

I like that idea, as well as, playing an  expanded role on the PP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC : Seguin, an inch taller and bigger : I don't get why everyone is "hoping" he'll make the second line. First Line or bust is my motto for Tyler. I really like DK, but I'd prefer Tyler as the #1 Center. With Bergy fully back from concussion as your #2, and if Seguin is what we all hope, then what can we trade Krejci for? hummmm. I'd really like Shea Webber in town. DK and a package. Nashville gets a cost effective #1 Center, one of our D - Boychuk, and picks, we get Webber who doesn't want to stay there. Bruins can afford him.  Yes, I dream in techno color, but why not. 
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]
    Sure let's trade last year's leading points producer in the playoffs and slot Seguin as the no.1 center? Not a good move in my book as far as trading Krejci .Krejci is the most creative offensive player that we have .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]...and I stopped growing when I was 16 years old.  That is just not fair.
    Posted by BruinsIn4[/QUOTE]

So did Brad Marchand.  He turned out alright

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

No matter how good Seguin gets I hope they don't trade Krejci.  I see no reason to trade one outstanding player because you have another.  Positions mean little to this type of player.  Remember that Kurri played center when not with Gretzky. But together those two skilled, smart players seemed to work well together.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

NESN, among other sources, recently reported that the B's and Krejci are working towards a multi-year extension in the $5 mill per range. I can't imagine they'd trade him if that happens.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I sure hope the coaches worked with seguin and his foot work. We all know he can skate fast going forward, but he is far from smooth when crossing over and having quick feet....Im looking forward to this year with him. With last years experience, he should feel a lot more comfortable and coaching staff will feel he will be more responsible at both ends of the ice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I sure hope the coaches worked with seguin and his foot work. We all know he can skate fast going forward, but he is far from smooth when crossing over and having quick feet....Im looking forward to this year with him. With last years experience, he should feel a lot more comfortable and coaching staff will feel he will be more responsible at both ends of the ice.
    Posted by bgrif008[/QUOTE]
    I strongly disagree. His crossovers led to some D-men actually falling down when trying to stay with him. I taught power-skating for years and see no problems with Seguin's foot-speed. I will admit though that every player can use more power-skating.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

There's no way they break up the KHL line. They were, by far and away, the best bruins line (and one of the best in the league) in scoring chance +/- in both the regular season and the playoffs. After dominating in the post-season, I highly doubt that line is adjusted for anything other than injury or the occasional scoring drought line shake-up that happens to every team over the course of a season.

IMO, the only time you may Seguin with Krejci is on the power-play. As far as our centers go, there's no reason to move either Krejci or Bergeron... Look at how well off the Penguins were with Crosby, Malkin, Staal down the middle (when healthy) ... absolutely no need to make any moves with Savard gone, there is plenty of ice-time for all three.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

[QUOTE]I could give a rats what position he plays as long as he plays well.  I many ways, the most important distinction between being a C and a W is about your defensive responsibilities and not your offensive game. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying bookboy, theres no doubt that a wing can make substantial contributions to offense; however, it's just not true that the difference between center and wing is a matter of splitting hairs, the centerman touches the puck on significantly more occasions than the wings. This simple fact makes his decision making / passing abilities that much more important, not to mention how important his timing on the breakout is for transitioning to offense (are you calling the breakout "defense"?). Check out the assist totals for the past 50 years and you'll find an overwhelming bias towards centerman. Right now, just think in your head about who the best passers are in the NHL; I suspect you're thinking of a centerman.

If I'm the bruins, or any team for that matter, I want my best players touching the puck the most often, especially those who have the vision to move the puck. If Seguin was just a sniper with blazing speed like Kessel, by all means throw him on the wing and end the debate, but Seguin is more dynamic than Kessel, his puck moving abilities are enhanced when he has a larger area of ice to operate (not constricted by the boards). If we absolutely had to put him on the wing because we already had three great centers, then o.k., we'd have a tough decision, but this team doesn't have that situation with Savard retiring. Seguin, Bergeron, Krejci would be just fine.

count this as my 1,000th "CENTERS RULE!" post :) 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC : Seguin, an inch taller and bigger : I understand what you're saying bookboy, theres no doubt that a wing can make substantial contributions to offense; however, it's just not true that the difference between center and wing is a matter of splitting hairs, the centerman touches the puck on significantly more occasions than the wings. This simple fact makes his decision making / passing abilities that much more important, not to mention how important his timing on the breakout is for transitioning to offense (are you calling the breakout "defense"?). Check out the assist totals for the past 50 years and you'll find an overwhelming bias towards centerman. Right now, just think in your head about who the best passers are in the NHL; I suspect you're thinking of a centerman. If I'm the bruins, or any team for that matter, I want my best players touching the puck the most often, especially those who have the vision to move the puck. If Seguin was just a sniper with blazing speed like Kessel, by all means throw him on the wing and end the debate, but Seguin is more dynamic than Kessel, his puck moving abilities are enhanced when he has a larger area of ice to operate (not constricted by the boards). If we absolutely had to put him on the wing because we already had three great centers, then o.k., we'd have a tough decision, but this team doesn't have that situation with Savard retiring. Seguin, Bergeron, Krejci would be just fine. count this as my 1,000th "CENTERS RULE!" post :) 
    Posted by Olsonicator[/QUOTE]
    Left shooting centers in particular. That would be the simplest explanation as to why RW so heavily outscores LW.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PC : Seguin, an inch taller and bigger : I strongly disagree. His crossovers led to some D-men actually falling down when trying to stay with him. I taught power-skating for years and see no problems with Seguin's foot-speed. I will admit though that every player can use more power-skating.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I never said seguin was slow when crossing over, Im just saying he isnt very smooth when doing it. I believe if he gets smoother he'll be even faster. Plus it helps to get past defenseman when they are flat footed. Just something about Seguins crossover that in my opinion need work. Could also be that he wears skates that are too big for his feet. They look like skis on his little frame.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i think with the system the bruins play... dump the puck deep and cycle the puck, wingers get just as many touches as centers. the wide open carry the puck style tends to emphasize center play more in my opinion. until he gets stronger, and can consistently win faceoffs, wing is not a bad place for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

A lot depends on his development this season, and how Pouiliot meshes with the team, But the Bruins have a real chance to roll a 1A and 1B line, with a second line calibre third line if Seguin can step-up as a centre.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

If Seguin can push back instead of being pushed around, that will make a big difference in his play this season. This year or next year, he could start to be a force in the NHL. Makes a big difference when a young player knows the directions to the weight room instead of the directions to all the local Tim Horton donut shops in the area.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

[QUOTE]If Seguin can push back instead of being pushed around, that will make a big difference in his play this season. This year or next year, he could start to be a force in the NHL. Makes a big difference when a young player knows the directions to the weight room instead of the directions to all the local Tim Horton donut shops in the area.
    Posted by ksp57[/QUOTE]

Another burn on the unmentioned one!

...Sequin at 190lbs with a Stanley Cup (WINNING) playoff under his belt is a frightening thought.  I pity the 2nd/3rd defensive pairs that have to lineup against him this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

Let's hope he is not too good because what follows is the 'turning down $6.8MM per over 9 years headache'.  Ask Dean Lombardi about that one...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Let's hope he is not too good because what follows is the 'turning down $6.8MM per over 9 years headache'.  Ask Dean Lombardi about that one...
    Posted by LB34[/QUOTE]

To be fair, that was after being really good, a norris finalist, and then an allstar during a down season..

Seguin would have to become elite quick..

Sections
Shortcuts