PC: Tim Thomas won't play this year, wants to play next year.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: PC: Tim Thomas won't play this year, wants to play next year.

I still think there's more to the story then just a political, a sabatical , or just a plain nutjob as a reason for him sitting out. I think it will come out at some point, but Pronger's issue in Edmonton never has either, so maybe we'll never know. However, unless the absolute truth does come out for his sitting out & leaving his team & teammates handcuffed like this. He'll never play in a B's uniform again. And that reasoning has to be something drastic...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still think there's more to the story then just a political, a sabatical , or just a plain nutjob as a reason for him sitting out. I think it will come out at some point, but Pronger's issue in Edmonton never has either, so maybe we'll never know. However, unless the absolute truth does come out for his sitting out & leaving his team & teammates handcuffed like this. He'll never play in a B's uniform again. And that reasoning has to be something drastic...

[/QUOTE]

You may well be right about that. I actually really like how PC is playing this or, rather, downplaying the situation. Good on him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mannyortez3424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is something I didn't know:

PC can "toll" Timmy's contract, meaning he can keep Timmy at 1 year for 5 mil next year because he is suspended this year...

So I think the best course of action is to most definitely do that and just trade him to someone next year if PC doesn't want to keep him...

But then again, pretty much all of this depends on how Tuukka plays this year...

[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, Yes, and ... what?  What does it have to do with how tuuka plays?  If tuuka stinks the joint out, they are still not taking TT back even with the toll forward.  There is some kind of bad blood going on there (my pet suspicion is the white house thing).  So TT has played his last in boston, that's 99% sure.  The globe writers all seem sure of it, and I wonder if they know more but they have no one who will be a source anonymous or otherwise (yes, total speculation again).  Or even on the face of it, TT didn't adhere to his contract, that right there is enough to cause bad blood.  Same deal as when your plumber says he'll show, but then calls and said he changed his mind, should never have agreed to come in the first place.  Same with TT

[/QUOTE]

That kinda stuck with me too.  rarely do they speak so definatively about  such things. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I thought that Thomas has said he is focusing on other things for the next year, but never mentioned whether or not he is coming back to the NHL the following year, or ever.  So this seems like news to me.  I can't really believe that he would think he could play in the 2014 Olympics after 18 months off, or come back and play for the Bruins.  So, I assume he thinks he'll play somewhere else in the NHL, in 2013-14.  Interesting.

I don't see this going well for him, and that has nothing to do with my personal opinions about  how he treated the Bruins and his teammates.  Being a starting goalie is such a tough job to get that it's hard to imagine an aging, expensive goalie with bad hips and an unconventional style getting his starting role back after a 18 month vacation.  I think his effect on the locker room and his teammates is now an issue to consider too.  I know he has made a career of overcoming the odds, but I think the door is closing fast on this guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought that came out a long time ago - that his wife was simply unhappy in Edmonton (can't say I blame her)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I thought that came out a long time ago - that his wife was simply unhappy in Edmonton (can't say I blame her)

[/QUOTE]

A poor excuse in my book.  Was she unhappy with his paycheck?  

How inconvenient that she has to be a millionaire housewife in a city with cold weather while he honors a contract for a few years, before retiring to anywhere they want in the world.  Boo hoo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought that Thomas has said he is focusing on other things for the next year, but never mentioned whether or not he is coming back to the NHL the following year, or ever.  So this seems like news to me.  I can't really believe that he would think he could play in the 2014 Olympics after 18 months off, or come back and play for the Bruins.  So, I assume he thinks he'll play somewhere else in the NHL, in 2013-14.  Interesting.

I don't see this going well for him, and that has nothing to do with my personal opinions about  how he treated the Bruins and his teammates.  Being a starting goalie is such a tough job to get that it's hard to imagine an aging, expensive goalie with bad hips and an unconventional style getting his starting role back after a 18 month vacation.  I think his effect on the locker room and his teammates is now an issue to consider too.  I know he has made a career of overcoming the odds, but I think the door is closing fast on this guy.

[/QUOTE]

It would make for one heckuva story though. I can see it now............ HEADLINE!! "Aging,expensive,unconventional goalie with bad hips leads Edmonton Oilers to 2014/15 Stanley Cup" !! "What a ride says Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Timmy was unbelievable" !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh there's much more to it than that dear! Something about an Edmonton female police officer is the specualtion as to WHY she was unhappy. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ohhhh there's much more to it than that dear! Something about an Edmonton female police officer is the specualtion as to WHY she was unhappy. 

[/QUOTE]

There were 50,000 rumours, most of them made up by fans - if they were all true, she slept with his teammates, he sired 6 illegitimate kids with 6 different women, he sexually assaulted a reporter, slept with a cop, she was sleeping with male hookers, and on and on and on, not one of which ever came from a legitimate news source. Maybe as a journalist I'm a little biased, but I'll believe the words coming out of the mouths of the people who get paid to research these things for a living than some rants and innuendo from ticked off fans (fans so ticked off they actually torched the furniture from his rental home). They say she just hated Edmonton (she wouldn't be the first).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There were 50,000 rumours, most of them made up by fans - if they were all true, she slept with his teammates, he sired 6 illegitimate kids with 6 different women, he sexually assaulted a reporter, slept with a cop, she was sleeping with male hookers, and on and on and on, not one of which ever came from a legitimate news source. Maybe as a journalist I'm a little biased, but I'll believe the words coming out of the mouths of the people who get paid to research these things for a living than some rants and innuendo from ticked off fans (fans so ticked off they actually torched the furniture from his rental home). They say she just hated Edmonton (she wouldn't be the first).

[/QUOTE]

OK.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How inconvenient that she has to be a millionaire housewife in a city with cold weather while he honors a contract for a few years, before retiring to anywhere they want in the world.  Boo hoo.

[/QUOTE]

Fletch, the rumour was that Pronger knocked up a reporter (not Red apparently) in Edmonton and that had much to do with why his wife was unhappy there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

edit

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fletch, the rumour was that Pronger knocked up a reporter (not Red apparently) in Edmonton and that had much to do with why his wife was unhappy there.

[/QUOTE]

Oh good Lord. I'm friends with the reporter in question. She won a liable suit over that BS (it paid off her Student Loans). No veracity to that claim once-so-ever. It never happened and was proven as such in a court of law (techincally a prelim hearing).  Folks, stop, PLEASE, beleiving unsubstantiated BS. If you're going to disparage her, at least please have a clue as to who you're talking about. She's a combat vet, an experienced war correspondent, and a very experienced and an award winning sports reporter. Dez, honestly, I find posts like yours deeply offensive. You heard a rumour once, so you think that is basis enough to disparage someone you never met. Tell what you posted here to her face - she'd break your jaw, and deservedley so.

Seriously, I respect most of you - but you're starting to sound like a bunch of shut-in-grandmothers. Do you have an aversion to the word "facts"?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

I heard talk last year around the playoffs that the Bruins were going to trade Timmy to Columbus & he didn't want to go there. Can't say I blame him there. We should've traded him to the Blackhawks. They need a goalie badly. Crawford is horrible.

I can't see the Bruins tolling Thomas' contract. The Bruins need all the cap space they can get next season. The cap drops to $64.3 million and Marchand, Seguin & Lucic all get significant raises. Their raises combined are more than Thomas' contract. Also, the Bruins have no goalies under contract beyond this season & Horton is a free agent at the end of the season. Then, Bergeron & Seidenberg are free agents after the 2014 season. It would be smarter cap wise for the Bruins to just let Timmy walk than to toll his contract.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to lordy4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I heard talk last year around the playoffs that the Bruins were going to trade Timmy to Columbus & he didn't want to go there. Can't say I blame him there. We should've traded him to the Blackhawks. They need a goalie badly. Crawford is horrible.

I can't see the Bruins tolling Thomas' contract. The Bruins need all the cap space they can get next season. The cap drops to $64.3 million and Marchand, Seguin & Lucic all get significant raises. Their raises combined are more than Thomas' contract. Also, the Bruins have no goalies under contract beyond this season & Horton is a free agent at the end of the season. Then, Bergeron & Seidenberg are free agents after the 2014 season. It would be smarter cap wise for the Bruins to just let Timmy walk than to toll his contract.

[/QUOTE]

So why wouldn't they toll his contract and then trade him?  His ntc expired in his last contract year from what I recall.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

A good story from 2007 on why Pronger left the Oilers.

But Nichols himself has little uncertainty about Pronger's departure and, for the first time, he's making the story public.

Pronger left for one reason, the Oilers chairman says, because his wife Lauren, a true blue-American and lifelong citizen of St. Louis, never truly moved here, didn't want to settle here, and forced her husband's hand to leave, even if Chris himself wanted to remain an Oiler.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/story.html?id=92fab5f6-a0e8-43fe-bcb2-43fad1a44471

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

TT feeds on disrespect and underestimation, never count this guy out. It may be a very, very long time - if ever, that his performance on the ice will be matched. We were so fortunate to have it in Boston. I'll never forget what he did- it was that monumental, and deserves reverence.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to JWensink's comment:
    [QUOTE]

TT feeds on disrespect and underestimation, never count this guy out. It may be a very, very long time - if ever, that his performance on the ice will be matched. We were so fortunate to have it in Boston. I'll never forget what he did- it was that monumental, and deserves reverence.

[/QUOTE]

Me neither. What he did on the ice will never be forgotten. Who he is off the ice and what people think of him has no meaning to me. 

P.S. And my TT tshirt reminds me what he did for the B's franchise every time I put it on. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to lordy4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So why wouldn't they toll his contract and then trade him?  His ntc expired in his last contract year from what I recall.

[/QUOTE]

That is the real problem in my estimation. Either Rask has a career year and is paid accordingly or he doesn't and PC is forced to look elsewhere. Either way goaltending is going to be much more expensive next year at precisely the same time as all the youngsters are getting their commensurate salary bumps. I foresee a significant trade for the B's in the summer to free up more cap space.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Me neither. What he did on the ice will never be forgotten. Who he is off the ice and what people think of him has no meaning to me. 

P.S. And my TT tshirt reminds me what he did for the B's franchise every time I put it on. 

[/QUOTE]

Yup !

He's on my wall with 63, 17, and 91

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did you get the Conn Smythe winner T-shirt Chowda? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh good Lord. I'm friends with the reporter in question. She won a liable suit over that BS (it paid off her Student Loans). No veracity to that claim once-so-ever. It never happened and was proven as such in a court of law (techincally a prelim hearing).  Folks, stop, PLEASE, beleiving unsubstantiated BS. If you're going to disparage her, at least please have a clue as to who you're talking about. She's a combat vet, an experienced war correspondent, and a very experienced and an award winning sports reporter. Dez, honestly, I find posts like yours deeply offensive. You heard a rumour once, so you think that is basis enough to disparage someone you never met. Tell what you posted here to her face - she'd break your jaw, and deservedley so.

Seriously, I respect most of you - but you're starting to sound like a bunch of shut-in-grandmothers. Do you have an aversion to the word "facts"?

[/QUOTE]

I'm guilty as charged Red & you're right....I hate rumors too & I usually don't say them & didn't totally say one, but I implied it & that was just as wrong. Sorry...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

If Tuukka sucks this year for some reason, and you could have Timmy back next year, you just solved your goalie problem...

I would 100% take Timmy back regardless of what he has done...

He's a weird-ass dude, but is also a phenomenal goalie...

If you are in dire need of a phenomenal goalie next year, he is right there waiting to play...

And even if you don't want him back, toll his contract and trade him...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Apparently you missed the part where I called it a rumour. I also don't see where I disparaged anyone since I clearly didn't even speculate on who (aside from the Prongers) that the rumour was in reference to. It would seem to me that you are the only one that has even remotely identified the other party involved. You find what I said to be offensive? I guess I must be insensitive because I don't give a flying fokk if your feelings were hurt over it. Regarding the libel (liable) suit you speak of, I'll have you know it wasn't me she won it against as I have no idea who you're talking about. I sure hope the award winning jornalist/combat vet has thicker skin than you obviously do. As I've mentioned to you before, get your facts straight if you want to grease me out. The fact is that for someone with the resume you claim to have, you really sound like an idiot sometimes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In a blogsphere Red you cannot expect journalistic attributes.  I agree the more credible posters should (JM Walters is back for instance) , then those individuals can spout off speculations.  What ever you do please keep contributing, I will do the editing of what I read.  BTW I am speculating that I have had an affair with CZJ.  Mike Douglas is too old, so am I.  Cheers, Winnipeg still su@ks.

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]