Peace of Mind

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Peace of Mind

I am starting to decide in the heat of summer and cold beer in my hand that this upcoming season may surprise us all. Yes there will be initial pain. Maybe a lot of awkward moments but is it heat stroke or the core of this team will remain a fighting contender. Can all the wheels stay on the bus? With a good trade can we salvage this season. Is there hope? Is there desperation? Oh no the beer is wearing off and the humidity is getting to me. 

But really is going to be as bad as some of us think or is it going to be just okay?

Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Patrice Bergeron traditions die hard in Boston

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Peace of Mind

Bad drafting with not a glimmer of hope in the way of prospects....Czech........ Russian, Canuck, American, Swede 

PC likely looking for a job soon.....check

Thornton gone to Florida ....smiling check

Bartkowski and Caron possibly back for another season of bashing from the fans....check, check

The Bruins too close to the cap......too many cheques

Fire Julien ..........oh we haven't gotten to that one yet ?........no check

Nope .............everything seems normal around here. Everyone's good .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Drink another beer    fast

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from no1bruinsfan. Show no1bruinsfan's posts

the bruins too close to the cap........ too many cheques

good one

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Still one of the best rosters in the NHL despite the off season.... check!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I think there were some who had similar concerns after last year's finals against Chicago. Especially after the Seguin deal. Look what happened. No Cup but 52-19-9. Grab another brew, Macfact. Sit back, relax and enjoy it like you're going to enjoy this edition of the Bruins. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Macfact's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But really is going to be as bad as some of us think or is it going to be just okay?

[/QUOTE]

Anyone who thinks it's going to be bad is absurd.  Even thinking this team is going to be just okay is absurd.  They have a Norris Trophy nominee, the Vezina winner and the Selke winner.  

What's going to be the biggest difference from last year to this year?  No Iginla.  Big deal.  Eriksson to the first line and all is good.

They'll finish Top 3 in the conference and challenge for the Cup again if they make no changes from this day forth.  (barring major player injury of course).  Boston fans are so used to being miserable that they have a major offseason heart attack when there is nothing at all to worry about.

And, as you know, Spooner is coming to save the day anyway.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Still one of the best rosters in the NHL despite the off season.... check!

[/QUOTE]

Yep

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Off season isn't over, not even close. PC is mulling offers, who he wants to trade with and all players he wants to target. No need to rush anything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think there were some who had similar concerns after last year's finals against Chicago. Especially after the Seguin deal. Look what happened. No Cup but 52-19-9. Grab another brew, Macfact. Sit back, relax and enjoy it like you're going to enjoy this edition of the Bruins. 

[/QUOTE]

The key to last offseason was signing Ignila. Once the first line was settled with this signing the rest of the forward lines became simply one of mix and match. I believe the concern now lies in JI moving on with no obvious replacement.

But, again, we have talked about this ad nauseum. Obviously the team is not doomed but some concern is understandable, if not entirely warranted.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Penguins lost their #2 and 3 D while signing Ehrhoff.  They also traded Neal for Hornqvist, who typically scores about 50% less than Neal.  I would call Pittsburgh's downgrade worse than Boston's... though the new coach may help.  I don't see any other team in the east as being close to Boston in talent.  So the only surprise to me would be Boston NOT being at the top of the conference.  If just one of the prospects step up and contribute solid 15-20 goal type season, a finish at the top of the overall standings again is not out of reach.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If just one of the prospects step up and contribute solid 15-20 goal type season, a finish at the top of the overall standings again is not out of reach.

[/QUOTE]

You do realize this is the exception rather than the norm. Teams don't typically find Smith-esque diamonds in the rough every year. Possible? Yes. Expected? No.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The key to last offseason was signing Ignila. Once the first line was settled with this signing the rest of the forward lines became simply one of mix and match. I believe the concern now lies in JI moving on with no obvious replacement.

But, again, we have talked about this ad nauseum. Obviously the team is not doomed but some concern is understandable, if not entirely warranted.

[/QUOTE]

With their depth on defense they should have no problem with long slow regular season play. The big question mark seems to be Loui's affect on the first line. That line struggled against Hàbs in playoffs and D.K is going to need a scoriing right wing to be effective. They're going to need some1 good so some1 good on D has to go. Boychuk I guess most logical one. Bart and Caron will only get you a bag of practice pucks

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I know it's the exception, that's why I'm not saying there are 5 or 6 guys ready to do it.  Looking in particular at Spooner or Fraser, I think they have a shot.  Fraser's been a prolific goal scorer in the AHL.  Spooner I like more since he has made great progression year on year for his whole career.  A ppg player in the AHL, .5 ppg in the NHL, solid 2-way game, upped his game in the playoffs for Providence last year.  I don't think it's a stretch at all to say he has a shot at putting up 15-20 goals, 35-45 points in a full season in the NHL.  He's 22, now's the time.  It's not ridiculous at all to think one of the prospects will be able to step up.  They only need one and the odds of one being able to are pretty good.

If none do, they definitely need to pick someone up at the deadline.  But Spooner's career path thus far has been very Marchand-like, and he could be a 2010-11 Marchand.  I wouldn't bet against it, he clearly has skills and drive.

[QUOTE]

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If just one of the prospects step up and contribute solid 15-20 goal type season, a finish at the top of the overall standings again is not out of reach.

[/QUOTE]

You do realize this is the exception rather than the norm. Teams don't typically find Smith-esque diamonds in the rough every year. Possible? Yes. Expected? No.

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Fraser does seem to have a knack for finding the net in A for sure. Couple of 30 goal seasons there. Spooner is the ppg game too. The question, of course, is if that will translate to the NHL. Answer: we don't know but, you are right, the time is definitely now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Basically my thought is that we have 2 players that are in their early 20's and have shown very strong AHL play and a decent showing in the NHL auditions, plus about four others that are a bit younger but also have shown talent.  Assuming that Bruins scouts are pleased with the mental make-up of these guys, we could give the first two a 20% chance of being good NHL players and the others a 1 in 10 chance.  But if you add them all up you're over 50% that one of them can play at a good level in the NHL.  It doesn't matter which one, and they don't need to be a star, just be a real good 3rd line player.

If I'm PC I roll the dice and see what I have in the system and play the odds that one will be good enough to make the jump.  If they all fail, at least I know what I have (nothing) and make a trade of the prospects I no longer care about and/or picks at the deadline to add some 3rd line scoring.

[QUOTE]

Fraser does seem to have a knack for finding the net in A for sure. Couple of 30 goal seasons there. Spooner is the ppg game too. The question, of course, is if that will translate to the NHL. Answer: we don't know but, you are right, the time is definitely now.

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If Fraser's skating was better he would already be popping in 20 at the NHL level. That has been the consistent knock on his game from the scouts. Hopefully Fraser has worked on that part of his game this summer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[Bruins decide to fill out the roster with prospects...]

Oh my god, they're going to play the prospects!!! Go get a veteran!!! Isn't Lauri Korpikoski looking for work?  My god, get me a journeyman I've heard of at least!  Not the prospects!!!

[Bruins sign veterans so there's no room for prospects...]

PC can't draft - look how many of his prospects have made the team.

[Looks like prospects are going to make the team...]

Oh, god!!! Sign Lee Stempniak!!! Find Phil Kessel's other gonad and sign it!!

[Pandolpho is signed as insurance]

The prospects must be worse than we thought!!!  Fire PC!!!

Nights up here are long come January.  I'll spend some of those long, cold nights worrying about the prospects if the prospects are failing and the team is losing.  Until then...they are right where they were this time last year, except with a more mobile and more experienced D.

Are you not entertained?!?!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Lex44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

With their depth on defense they should have no problem with long slow regular season play. The big question mark seems to be Loui's affect on the first line. That line struggled against Hàbs in playoffs and D.K is going to need a scoriing right wing to be effective. They're going to need some1 good so some1 good on D has to go. Boychuk I guess most logical one. Bart and Caron will only get you a bag of practice pucks

[/QUOTE]

Shocker.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[Bruins decide to fill out the roster with prospects...]

Oh my god, they're going to play the prospects!!! Go get a veteran!!! Isn't Lauri Korpikoski looking for work?  My god, get me a journeyman I've heard of at least!  Not the prospects!!!

[Bruins sign veterans so there's no room for prospects...]

PC can't draft - look how many of his prospects have made the team.

[Looks like prospects are going to make the team...]

Oh, god!!! Sign Lee Stempniak!!! Find Phil Kessel's other gonad and sign it!!

[Pandolpho is signed as insurance]

The prospects must be worse than we thought!!!  Fire PC!!!

Nights up here are long come January.  I'll spend some of those long, cold nights worrying about the prospects if the prospects are failing and the team is losing.  Until then...they are right where they were this time last year, except with a more mobile and more experienced D.

Are you not entertained?!?!

[/QUOTE]

If everything were perfect and there were no concerns there would be nothing to talk about. Boring!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I seem to recall some poster's calling for the B's to sign David Clarkson last year,he is the perfect fit for the Bruins,how did that work out for the Lerfs? The Bruins are a very good team as they presently sit. They lost Iginla, which is definitely not the end of the world as some people complained he was slower than molasses in April,which is a little faster than January. Everyone should just take a deep breath,wait for the rest of the summer to play out and see how the lineup shakes out after training camp.

Barring a trade,which will happen in some form,i see the B's promoting a PBruin for the 3rd & 4th line spots,which is fine by me.Lots of things happen during a season,injuries,slumps,trades and young players grabbing their opportunity,which i can see happening in this case. I thinks its exciting that the B's will see some young blood in the lineup after having many years where we always said there isn't any roster spots open,must have been pretty discouraging to any young player coming to camp. B's are a very good team,a playoff team and next April when the playoffs start,we can all dissect the B's chances.Unless of course the B's make a move to get Patrick Kaleta to fill that 3rd line right wing spot,then all bets are off. 

You will never find a more wretched hive of SCUM and VILLAINY.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Wouldn't take much to get Kaleta actually. I think he finished last season in the AHL. Maybe a Caron for Kaleta trade straight up :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

Wouldn't take much to get Kaleta actually. I think he finished last season in the AHL. Maybe a Caron for Kaleta trade straight up :)

[/QUOTE]

The B's might have to throw in a 6th round pick, problem is Kaleta gets about twice as many reputation calls as Marchand. The B's penalty killing would have to be tops in the league.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

You would be right about that. Would make training camp fun though. Marchand v Kaleta..to the death!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I hate Kaleta, which is probably more of a compliment to him.

I see his name and right away I think of him absolutely getting beat on by Lucic then going to the penalty box and waving his arms in attempt to get the crowd going.