Peaking???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Peaking???

At 10 in a row and just overwhelming the opposition....

Are the B's peaking a bit too soon????????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Peaking???

I've never really understood the concept of "peaking." Yes, every team has their strong and their dry spells, but peaking seems only to refer to playing to a team's full abilities. Why is there an assumption that a team can only achieve a peak for so long? I know there's a question of physical sustainability, but that's not why the Bruins are playing well. They are rotating in depth and are successful because of 22 different players. If they were relying on just 9, I could understand the point, but they're not.

Much of their success has to do with team management, and I can't see CJ pulling back on the reins as the season and post-season progress.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Better now than in December

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Its called Beijing now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Just saying a long win streak is usually followed by a down ward trend and then back up.

Just saying I'd rather see the win streak in the last 10 rather than with 13 to go. Just based upon experience in all sports.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

So the biggest 'problem' here is that the Bruins are playing too well right now?

I'll pass on the hand-wringing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I guess CJ could tell the B's to lose a few and then pick it up with about 10 days to go.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

a week or so ago while watching the nesn feed they showed the bruins record over ten game stretches since the beginning of the season. the 2013/14 bruins have won no less than 6 out of every 10. the team's been incredibly consistent, and is GETTING BETTER!!! these are good days to be bruins fans!! as a matter of fact i don't think the bruins have strung 3 regulation losses in row all year. THAT'S consistency. THAT'S how you win a cup! btw there's a team in the west that can boast the exact same...  the blues.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its called Beijing now.

[/QUOTE]

That's nobody's business but the... Chinese.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its called Beijing now.

[/QUOTE]

Ouch.

This is one of those conversations that journalists invented to make sure they have something to talk about.  If the team is on a huge winning streak, the issue is that they're "peaking" - which is really a term taken from individual sports like track where the athlete aims to be at a particular performance "peak" on the day of a competition - they deliberately plan their training around such peaks.  As red points out, in team sports, you're talking 20+ guys, and they're playing every second night. 

If they aren't winning - if they go into a doze as they did before 2011 and 2013 playoffs - the story is that they can't expect to just "flip the switch"!  If they go into the playoffs playing .550 hockey, the story is that maybe they're a mediocre team with the record of a top team.  Doesn't matter what the record is or what the pattern - someone will find a way to spin it as bad news for a team heading into the playoffs. 

The Bruins are playing pretty well.  They're not flawless.  The streak includes wins over Florida (twice), Washington, Carolina and New Jersey - all likely non-playoff teams.  It includes three wins you look at as probably requiring a better effort - Minnesota, Phoenix and Montreal.  That's the 7th and 8th place team in the West and an Eastern rival who is 16 points back.  All games they should win.  Great to have the streak, but not necessary to play playoff level hockey to get there.

Julien keeps saying it's game by game.  That is my abiding memory of the 2011 Cup win.  They were Jedi of taking it game by game because no matter how high or how low they got after any game - and boy, there were some gut punches in there to go with the thrills - the next game they played exactly the same way.  If they keep that mindset, this will be a fun spring!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the team is on a huge winning streak, the issue is that they're "peaking" - which is really a term taken from individual sports like track where the athlete aims to be at a particular performance "peak" on the day of a competition - they deliberately plan their training around such peaks.  

[/QUOTE]

You mean like Edwin Moses? He peaked for awhile. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Or Aleksandr Karelin.

But there is some credence in individual sports. Bilodeau got his butt kicked by Kingsbury in moguls for two seasons but according to him his entire training regime centred around being in form to beat him just once, and he did so for the Olympic gold in moguls this year.

In team sports, the depth of the team is too broad to be centred on a single peak, as long as that team has actual depth and isn't reliant on the performance of just a few. The Bruins have that kind of depth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Your favorite teams are supposed to roll over teams that are down in the standings. Right now it feels like Nov-Dec of 2011-2013, Bs are just steam rollin and it feels n looks great.

Avs, Shabs, Hawks, Caps and Flyers to end the month. Bs fans will get a real pulse then. Bruins won't get away with all the Dzone cough ups, we've seen the last few games, against those teams.

Mountains have peaks, seasons change all the time.

PS. Got that from a Hallmark card.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't believe in "peaking", however I do believe that teams can't maintain intense mental focus without occassional lapses.  From that perspective, this 10-game run has come at EXACTLY the right time.  The Bruins have essentially clinched a playoff spot and for the next 13 games they can have some crappy games and not focus, but then gear it up when the playoffs start.  If this streak was just about to start, I'd be more concerned.

Also, the Bruins are winning but it's coming pretty easy.  They are using their spare players - 2 D and a goalie last night - and still cruising along.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I posted this on another thread for another indivivual who as wondering the same thing.

I would like to bring up that comment you made about the B's peaking too soon. They're not even close to peaking. Yes they are winning games, but in the games that they played really well during this streak who was it against? Fla and Car are the 2 freshest and they're enough to make my point. Against the Rangers, Habs, the Wild are examples of where they've been totally flat at the beginning of the game! If it wasn't for Rask they could've easily been down by 3 or 4 goals after the 1st and maybe even 5 against the Rangers. They played great against teams they should destroy. They've played ok against some of the better teams. This team has far from peaked buddy. The wins are great and they're even better knowing they can play even better yet. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Oh my GOD!  They're playing too well!  This cannot continue or they'll lose in the playoffs!

So silly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Oh my GOD!  They're playing too well!  This cannot continue or they'll lose in the playoffs!

So silly.

[/QUOTE]

Comon NAS...You can't call it silly when it's a common term used in this sport. It's common because a lot of hockey people use it. You do this all the time! Just because you don't like it it's silly. It maybe exeraggerated or used to loosly, but you can't say something is silly for something that is talked about on a frequent basis. This is the same attitutude you have with the whole Heavy & Hard shot theory. It's out there & talked about just because you don't like the concept doesn't make it silly. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or Aleksandr Karelin.

But there is some credence in individual sports. Bilodeau got his butt kicked by Kingsbury in moguls for two seasons but according to him his entire training regime centred around being in form to beat him just once, and he did so for the Olympic gold in moguls this year.

In team sports, the depth of the team is too broad to be centred on a single peak, as long as that team has actual depth and isn't reliant on the performance of just a few. The Bruins have that kind of depth.

[/QUOTE]

13 years without a competition loss, in a full contact hand to hand sport.  karelin was a scary dude... and yes scary is appropriate here.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Comon NAS...You can't call it silly when it's a common term used in this sport. It's common because a lot of hockey people use it. You do this all the time! Just because you don't like it it's silly. It maybe exeraggerated or used to loosly, but you can't say something is silly for something that is talked about on a frequent basis. This is the same attitutude you have with the whole Heavy & Hard shot theory. It's out there & talked about just because you don't like the concept doesn't make it silly. 

[/QUOTE]

Give me a five examples of teams that peaked too early.  If it's so common and valid, this shouldn't be an issue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I also dispute the premise that this is "peaking", but instead it's several players who have elevated themselves into a new (or newer) playing level and are here to stay.

Reacharound - has elevated his game some, he's not enough to be an NHL #1, but he's certainly not a backup stiff anymore the way he started the season.

Rielly Smith - if anything has been in a slump.  He might have had that "sophomore slump" syndrone happen early and he just might be working his way out of it now.

The Yeti - is a Yeti no longer, instead of being the international man of mystery seldom seen, he's figured out the NHL game.  Anyone notice him getting clobbered in front?  And he still keeps going in there full speed?  He has balls.

Loui is doing a lot of things right and that will only continue to improve.

From what I've read, Iginla always gets better the longer the season goes (and always has a slow start).

I could go on and on.  Paille is handling the puck much better, Marchand has stepped onto a different level - Chara is the same...

And as mentioned in a previous post, they are rotating defenseman in and out and we've seen them give Lindblad a try out.  Hopefully they do more of that, guys always play better when they know they can be replaced.

So... no - I don't see this as a peak, but guys who have improved and will stay that way.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Here is my list of things that I worry about that could derail the B's run for the cup.

1. injury.

2. Montreal in the first round and the refs names are Monty and Mort Therrien. It would look like a dive meet and the scabs with 5 on 3 advantage for the entire game, every game. Still goes 7.

11532.  peaking too soon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I also dispute the premise that this is "peaking", but instead it's several players who have elevated themselves into a new (or newer) playing level and are here to stay.

Reacharound - has elevated his game some, he's not enough to be an NHL #1, but he's certainly not a backup stiff anymore the way he started the season.

Rielly Smith - if anything has been in a slump.  He might have had that "sophomore slump" syndrone happen early and he just might be working his way out of it now.

The Yeti - is a Yeti no longer, instead of being the international man of mystery seldom seen, he's figured out the NHL game.  Anyone notice him getting clobbered in front?  And he still keeps going in there full speed?  He has balls.

From what I've read, Iginla always gets better the longer the season goes (and always has a slow start).

I could go on and on.  Paille is handling the puck much better, Marchand has stepped onto a different level - Chara is the same...

And as mentioned in a previous post, they are rotating defenseman in and out and we've seen them give Lindblad a try out.  Hopefully they do more of that, guys always play better when they know they can be replaced.

So... no - I don't see this as a peak, but guys who have improved and will stay that way.

[/QUOTE]

exactly as i see it... a very good team getting BETTER!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I don't think it's peaking. They're just all playing like Carl.

http://video.bruins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1405&id=573706&lang=en

Roughly 6:00 minutes in or so.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Chris Kelly said it himself,Loui has the best stick in the league.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

You have 3 lines producing on a consistent basis right now. Will that last? Who knows, but as a fan I'm sure enjoying it.

Iginla had a comment on Sunday about peaking. I wonder if he feels this way after joining the Pens last year while they won what 15 in a row. But check out Juliens response:

Iginla: " I just hope we're not peaking right now. We need to keep wanting more and we've done a good job of kind of staying on course and getting focused on the task at hand."

Juliens response, which I love.

Julien: "Well if he thinks we're peaking too soon, I can show him alot of areas where we can get better. Thats not hard for me to find."

I love it.

Keep winning, and stay healthy.