Penalties

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Penalties

Refs are human.  They make mistakes.  They get fooled.  The miss things.

In hockey, plenty of calls get botched.  It doesn't mean the refs want the B's to lose.

Crying about it, especially after a loss, is very Canadien-fan-like and it's boring as anything to read.  Who wants to read your crying that the refs missed this or that?  NO ONE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Re: Penalties

I agree.

When I coached soccer, I used to tell my players: "you play the game, leave the ref to me. Don't bother the ref. The ref is mine. If ref gives you red card, I kick you off the team."

Anyway, first loss in seven- let's start a new streak!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Granted the refs are inconsistent in the application of penalties, but that's like crying over spilled milk. Take the good with the bad even though it's tough to swallow. The ref's job, in hockey, is tough with the speed and size of the players. still think the ref should have seen emelin's hack job on Seguin, he was directly behind the play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

The only problem I had with the officiating last evening was with the linesman during the Chara fight.  Emelin got away with a cross check to the ribs of Seguin.  Chara decides he needs to send a message to the new Kasparitis. (we can argue if he should of til the cows come home)  He knows that he is going to get the instigator, but wants to take a pound of flesh out of the punk.  Emelin drops the gloves, throws a couple of punches, is still standing, yet the linesman step in and grab Chara from doing what needs to be done.  How many times have you seen linesman break up a fight that is ongoing?  Did the Bruins lose the game because of the refs, absolutely not.  They lost the game because they had 4 good players on the entire squad last night (Bergeron, Marchand, Seguin, and Hamilton).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Refs are human.  They make mistakes.  They get fooled.  The miss things.

In hockey, plenty of calls get botched.  It doesn't mean the refs want the B's to lose.

Crying about it, especially after a loss, is very Canadien-fan-like and it's boring as anything to read.  Who wants to read your crying that the refs missed this or that?  NO ONE.

I am not so sure your statement goes far enough.  The refs are human, and therefore they are inherently biased as well.  Humans can not simply turn off their biases, even if they think the can.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

NAS no one wants to see you complaining about people complaining about the officiating. You're being a bit hypocritical in that respect. I'd rather see discussions about missed calls than discussions about someone crying that someone else is doing something they don't like.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but you were too, so I'm going with it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

the ref was looking right at the play that Emelin cross checked Seguin so hard he broke his stick and yet no call, Lucic gets boarded right next to the ref in florida and no call. imo the officiating has been pretty bad this year

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'd actually like to see a few of the Bruin players complain a little less too, namely Lucic.  He seemed very lucky not to get an extra 2 after the holding call on Subban behind the net.  That may have been a bit ticky tack, but he took his hand off the stick and used the free hand to grab Subban while they reached the boards.  It seems like that gets called all the time.  Lucic is doing a lot of arguing so far this year with the refs.  I don't think it's smart for him.

Now if Julien or Chara want to get upset every now and then, after the Habs dive and draw penalties, I'm okay with that.  Sometimes you've gotta to try to draw the refs attention to that BS, and if you're not a common complainer, it might be effecticve.

But Lucic yelling and gesturing all the way to the box after a tough, but fair, penalty call just makes him look bad, IMO. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Fletch, I wouldn't call that fair. That happens all the time when people go into the boards with no call. NBC even called it as a bad call.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I'd actually like to see a few of the Bruin players complain a little less too, namely Lucic.  He seemed very lucky not to get an extra 2 after the holding call on Subban behind the net.  That may have been a bit ticky tack, but he took his hand off the stick and used the free hand to grab Subban while they reached the boards.  It seems like that gets called all the time.  Lucic is doing a lot of arguing so far this year with the refs.  I don't think it's smart for him.

Now if Julien or Chara want to get upset every now and then, after the Habs dive and draw penalties, I'm okay with that.  Sometimes you've gotta to try to draw the refs attention to that BS, and if you're not a common complainer, it might be effecticve.

But Lucic yelling and gesturing all the way to the box after a tough, but fair, penalty call just makes him look bad, IMO. 

Agreed!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

Fletch, I wouldn't call that fair. That happens all the time when people go into the boards with no call. NBC even called it as a bad call.

No they didn't.  They noted that Lucic grabbed him with the free hand and then mentioned that the refs were calling it tight.  I agree.  I think it was kind of a soft call, but that happens when you take your hand off the stick and grab someone.  I wasn't surprised by it at all.  I was suprised that Lucic carried on and gestured all the way to the box.  It doesn't help.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Thought this was going to be a thread about how the B's need to be more disciplined......lol.

For the record, what Chara did is fine by me and what I come to expect a captain to do. It was the rest of the D that could not step up in his absense that is more disturbing to me.

Also, yes the refs were horrible last night just as they have been all season. The team needs to endure and adjust...not whine and complain. Save that for the Habs, Sabres, Nucks of the hockey world.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

No they didn't.  They noted that Lucic grabbed him with the free hand and then mentioned that the refs were calling it tight.  I agree.  I think it was kind of a soft call, but that happens when you take your hand off the stick and grab someone.  I wasn't surprised by it at all.  I was suprised that Lucic carried on and gestured all the way to the box.  It doesn't help.

I didn't watch NBC but the guys on TSN giggled at the call and they're official Habs ball washers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

The first period was called silly tight.  Both ways.  Which was what the NBC guys, and everyone else, was noting.  What can you do though?  Take a seat and serve it.  At least it wasn't a dive on that one.

Things got much worse later in the game and the Habs went into full blown European soccer mode.  I thought there was a sniper in the building for a while.  But the legitimate complaints to the officials, when things things actually get bad, can get a little watered down when Lucic throws a fit over a borderline 2-minute minor early in the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

They made a comment to the effect that the called a penalty for intent to hold. That to me says they don't agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

They made a comment to the effect that the called a penalty for intent to hold. That to me says they don't agree.

a preventative holding call? lol....what the hell?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The first period was called silly tight.  Both ways.  Which was what the NBC guys, and everyone else, was noting.  What can you do though?  Take a seat and serve it.  At least it wasn't a dive on that one.

Things got much worse later in the game and the Habs went into full blown European soccer mode.  I thought there was a sniper in the building for a while.  But the legitimate complaints to the officials, when things things actually get bad, can get a little watered down when Lucic throws a fit over a borderline 2-minute minor early in the game.

I'm not sticking for Lucic and his yapping Fletch. Just commenting on the weak call. I remember when you could actually place your hand on an opposing player without it being deemed a hold. I miss those days. Penalties for 1 handed hooks get on my nerves too. There seems to be no such thing as having to fight through a check anymore. I find it sad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Look, we probably agree about this lambda.  I just think that when you take your hand off the stick and wrap it around the guy you're pursuing, even for a second, you risk taking a penalty. To me it was a soft call (Subban didn't even seem affected by it), but not necessarily a surprising one.  It's one of the things refs look for.

So, my preference would be for Lucic to go to the box, and not throw a fit.  The Bruins are going to play very physical hockey and they can't become chronic complainers.  Lucic has had more than his share of arguing with the refs recently.  And he doesn't wear a letter.

I think it has more impact if Chara, or Bergeron, or Julien speak to the refs on the side and try to draw attention to all of the Habs BS.  Lucic waving his arms in the air and yelling all the way to the box doesn't help. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Look, we probably agree about this lambda.  I just think that when you take your hand off the stick and wrap it around the guy you're pursuing, even for a second, you risk taking a penalty. To me it was a soft call (Subban didn't even seem affected by it), but not necessarily a surprising one.  It's one of the things refs look for.

So, my preference would be for Lucic to go to the box, and not throw a fit.  The Bruins are going to play very physical hockey and they can't become chronic complainers.  Lucic has had more than his share of arguing with the refs recently.  And he doesn't wear a letter.

I think it has more impact if Chara, or Bergeron, or Julien speak to the refs on the side and try to draw attention to all of the Habs BS.  Lucic waving his arms in the air and yelling all the way to the box doesn't help. 

Again, I'm not trying to stick up for Lucic but he's obviously an emotional guy. He has trouble reigning it in. I bet he will grow out of it once he realizes he's not doing himself or his mates any favours.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not sticking for Lucic and his yapping Fletch. Just commenting on the weak call. I remember when you could actually place your hand on an opposing player without it being deemed a hold. I miss those days. Penalties for 1 handed hooks get on my nerves too. There seems to be no such thing as having to fight through a check anymore. I find it sad.

Agreed.  The free hand grab or the hook (horizontal stick to the ice) seem like automatic calls now.  Sometimes it has no effect on the play at all and the penalties can really slow down an otherwise exciting game.

There is a fine line somewhere between too much obstruction and too many penalty calls, but we don't seem to have reached that place yet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

last 2 games were extremely poorly officiated.

The one against the Lightning where the puck hit a defender, then the goalie and then went out of the rink for a face off called outside the zone was the worst.  How the hell did they miss that one?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think if you complain to a ref it makes it worse. Do it enough and you'll be a target. Refs talk amongst each other and they dont like being shown up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

kelv, maybe they should try making the right call and no one will show them up. Just a thought.

Fletch, I agree with you there, I just don't think it was a penalty. He didn't impede Subban.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Wheats has it in a nutshell.  I also agree with CJ about embellishment. One call was missed that led to a change in the game.  Seguin being cross checked was seen clearly!  Seguin was not embellishing.  The second scene I did not like was Marchand's stick to Prust's face.  Totally unnecessary.  It is where Marchand is like PK Subban.  Playing with an edge is fine, that was plain stuupid.  Just because the other team is embellishing does not mean one follows suit in other words.  Wheats is correct.  Shut up and play hockey.  Let the Coach speak to the injustices.  I will add the NHL could do alot to correct these problems.  Shanahan was a start but not the cure all.  Review the tapes, fine the players for embellishment , etc.  Go one more step further.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I'm not going to complain about Marchand's stick to the face. Intentional or not intentional we will never know and it is just speculation. He wasn't looking at Prust so it IS possible. Whether you want to admit it or not is up to you. I don't know if he meant it, but I have no chance of jumping in his head and knowing what he was thinking when it happened.