Penalties

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Penalties

In response to lambda13's comment:

kelv, maybe they should try making the right call and no one will show them up. Just a thought.

Fletch, I agree with you there, I just don't think it was a penalty. He didn't impede Subban.

Theyre going to make mistakes. Same as players and coaches do. It goes both ways too..they ddint just make bad calls on the Bruins. If your a Canadien fan you've seen boarding calls for a lot less than the Thornton hit on Subban. I know as a Bruins fan I have. No call on Horton pushing Subban into the net either. I've seen that called before too. complaining about the refs just sounds whiney.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In my mind, there's no question that Marchand's stick hit Prust's face on purpose, but I wouldn't even say it was a penalty, really.  It was a love tap.  Just a little irritant.  I wouldn't blame Prust for knocking his teeth out, but I don't want to refs trying to control every little bit of gamesmanship.  Reminded me of the infamous Sedin jabs, kind of funny.  I remember Avery doing it to Thomas and although I wanted a severe beating for Avery, I wasn't calling for a penalty.

The thing with the refs is that bad calls against the Bruins (or any team) aren't going to go away, so they need to think about how to deal with it constructively.  The Bruins have the reputation of being bullies and it sometimes causes marginal calls to go against them I think (eg. Von Massenhoven...).  

Instead of yelling at the refs or showing them up, I think the strategy has to be to stay respectful and then pick opportunities to point out that teams like Montreal and Vancouver are a bunch of divers.  I like Julien's complaining, not Lucic's, because he isn't criticizing the refs directly.  Hopefully our rivals develop a reputation too, and are exposed for their diving ways.  

Vancouver fans are still aghast that every infraction wasn't called during the Stanley Cup, when it was apparent that the refs simply didn't trust the Canuck players and weren't going to throw the arm up every time they fell down or took a dive.  The Bruins got the benefit of the doubt a few times.  Especially after the biting incident.  But hey, you reap what you sow and I would prefer that individual Bruin players just take a seat in the box when they get a marginal call.  Keep a good reputation, and let Chara or Julien handle it if it must be addressed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

How to win a Cup: forget the Habs and go out and focus on the next game.  

The Scabs won't be in town again until the end of the month.  Lots of games to be played in between.  

The Canucks pulled this crap last January, and the Bs lost momentum and went on a mediocrity streak for 2 months.

How many times are you going to reference that Vancouver game?  This is getting as bad as Null and Gregory's Daddy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to ipotnyc's comment:

How to win a Cup: forget the Habs and go out and focus on the next game.  

The Scabs won't be in town again until the end of the month.  Lots of games to be played in between.  

The Canucks pulled this crap last January, and the Bs lost momentum and went on a mediocrity streak for 2 months.

I think you're attributing way too much to that Canucks game.  I don't ever remember thinking it was all that impactful on the rest of the season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I have no real problem with refs missing calls. They're human, it happens.

I do have a problem with the inconsistancies from crew to crew, which is more of a league problem than a ref problem. You never know what the reffing is going to be like from game to game, because the crews have such different styles, and they're not consistantly teamed up together, so they don't develop any strong teamwork. The league has to look at how to make the crews more consistant, and maybe keep the crews together for longer stretches so they can develop a team dynamic that will make them more effective.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I'd actually like to see a few of the Bruin players complain a little less too, namely Lucic.  He seemed very lucky not to get an extra 2 after the holding call on Subban behind the net.  That may have been a bit ticky tack, but he took his hand off the stick and used the free hand to grab Subban while they reached the boards.  It seems like that gets called all the time.  Lucic is doing a lot of arguing so far this year with the refs.  I don't think it's smart for him.

Now if Julien or Chara want to get upset every now and then, after the Habs dive and draw penalties, I'm okay with that.  Sometimes you've gotta to try to draw the refs attention to that BS, and if you're not a common complainer, it might be effecticve.

But Lucic yelling and gesturing all the way to the box after a tough, but fair, penalty call just makes him look bad, IMO. 

Like others have said players are only human, Lucic is a firey guy and he will react.  The Bruins are not the prefect robots with no emotion therefore it is expected they will get upset at some of the calls . Unfortuntely for Lucic he's being called a lot and some not warranted. I don;t blame him at all for complaining.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

For those interested, Montreal has had 39 more PP opportunities than the Bruins so far this season (100 to 61). Bs have been shorthanded 79 times as opposed to the Habs 86. So the B's PP/Sh differential is -18 while the Habs are +16.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Like others have said players are only human, Lucic is a firey guy and he will react.  The Bruins are not the prefect robots with no emotion therefore it is expected they will get upset at some of the calls . Unfortuntely for Lucic he's being called a lot and some not warranted. I don;t blame him at all for complaining.

/QUOTE]

But there's a difference between complaining and yelling all the way to the box while waving your arms in the air.  Everybody complains when they get a marginal call.  Lots of guys ask for an explanation, shake their head, slam the penalty box door or whatever.  But drawing a lot of attention to the ref is never a good idea.  I understand that people can, and will, defend everything that Lucic does as being a fiery guy and playing with emotion, but at some point he needs to be smart with the refs.  He actually didn't react this way as a younger player -- it is a newer thing for him.  I think it hurts his reputation when he browbeats the refs and he is a guy, like it or not, who will always have the eye of the officials because of his style of play.  I want him to get the benefit of the doubt.  If he keeps showing up the refs he isn't going to. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I have no real problem with refs missing calls. They're human, it happens.

I do have a problem with the inconsistancies from crew to crew, which is more of a league problem than a ref problem. You never know what the reffing is going to be like from game to game, because the crews have such different styles, and they're not consistantly teamed up together, so they don't develop any strong teamwork. The league has to look at how to make the crews more consistant, and maybe keep the crews together for longer stretches so they can develop a team dynamic that will make them more effective.

You nailed it, red.  There were some checks yesterday not called that were very similar to Saturday's that were deemed boarding by that duo.  I'm thinking of one involving Lucic but can't recall which Diving Venus he hit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The qoute below made my day, ha.  Diving Venus!

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

You nailed it, red.  There were some checks yesterday not called that were very similar to Saturday's that were deemed boarding by that duo.  I'm thinking of one involving Lucic but can't recall which Diving Venus he hit.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

The qoute below made my day, ha.  Diving Venus!

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

isla,

I'm starting a movement that asks for the Habs be referred to as the Diving Venuses whenever possible.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I don't think the B's lost the game because of the refs, as poorly as the game was officiated. However, if the scabs (or any team) draw more penalties than their opponents with their antics who knows what would have happened in the game if there was more 5 on 5 play.

Regarding the refs, they are put in a tough spot with all the diving and embellishment going on. It's much easier to distinguish when it happens from our couches with slo-mo replay and rewind. A lot of players are good at this and the sad fact is it works too often which only encourages more of the same. It's difficult to control it during the game so the league needs to take a page from the NBA (I can't believ I'm saying this!) and review suspect plays where diving and/or embellishment may happen then levy fines and even suspensions for repeat diving. It's an embarrassment as CJ said. It's far and way the biggest problem in the game. The ridiculous goalie gear comes in a distant 2nd.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Some days good solid hits are called boarding and other days they're just clean checks. It's the inconsistency that's so aggravating and requires adjusting to the refs from game to game---and that's an awful way to play the game.

Sections
Shortcuts