Penguins Meltdown Mystifying - Pittsburgh Post Gazette

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Penguins Meltdown Mystifying - Pittsburgh Post Gazette

Clearly the Bruins were not perplexed.  Inside the Penguin locker room and within the city of Pittsburgh lies the puzzlement.  Here's a post-series look from the Penguin end. 

Loved the line "The Boston Bruins, beaten reliably by these same Penguins in the Penguins' record-breaking regular season, turned around and pounded them when it mattered, abused them in every way short of singing them Sweep Caroline."  So true.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/penguins/penguins-meltdown-mystifying-690864/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Penguins Meltdown Mystifying - Pittsburgh Post Gazette

I don't hate the Pens. I hate Cooke. And I dislike Iginla for not being straight from the beginning on his trade intentions.

Lots of good folks in Pittsurgh and I sympathize with their hopes being dashed but, at the same time, I relish all the hockey loudmouths and experts being so wrong and desperately trying to make sense of things now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

I don't hate the Pens. I hate Cooke. And I dislike Iginla for not being straight from the beginning on his trade intentions.

Lots of good folks in Pittsurgh and I sympathize with their hopes being dashed but, at the same time, I relish all the hockey loudmouths and experts being so wrong and desperately trying to make sense of things now.

Healy anyone? 

Also, here is the prediction thread for NHL network. Et tu, Billy Jaffe?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=668499

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Letang was on the ice for 7 of the 12 Boston goals in the series. James Neal was a minus-7. Malkin a minus-5."

Vokoun was not bat at all really "In other words, he was the one Penguins player in these playoffs who was better than himself."

Letang was awful!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Not to take anything away from the B's - they clearly deserved the sweep...but it's really a game of inches.  One lucky Pittsburgh bounce in both games 3 & 4 and we could possibly be 2-2 right now.  Other than game 2, I would hardly classify this series as a Bruins beating.   If I'm Shero, I am not rushing judgement on my coach or lineup just yet.  Sometimes it takes time for new players to gel within the lineup - did they have enough time accomplish this?  Probably not.  With their existing line-up, they're probably Cup favorites for 2013-2014.  And the B's probably get no respect again, just the way we like it! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

So true.  With the regular season that team had expectations were understandably sky high.  Must be numbing to be TKO'd as they were.  What I found irritating was listening to several sports media personalities sell the Bruins short after the B's returned from Pittsburgh up 2-0. 

I seemed to hear more about what the Pens were doing wrong rather than what the Bruins did right as if the B's were some upstart team. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"Letang was on the ice for 7 of the 12 Boston goals in the series. James Neal was a minus-7. Malkin a minus-5."

Vokoun was not bat at all really "In other words, he was the one Penguins player in these playoffs who was better than himself."

Letang was awful!

"Nathan Horton approached him with the 1,000th Kris Letang turnover of the series late in the middle period of a scoreless game, but Vokoun's flashing glove swallowed it whole, just as surely as he stoned and excellent chance for Tyler Seguin from the left circle a few minutes earlier."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Healy's attempts to jump on the Bruin bandwagon with 2 minutes to go, were so satisfying. He

says; "Almost genius creativity by Brad Marchand," with this churchy solemnity, laying bare

the fact that he and all these guys who orbit the game, paid to say something - Anything! - think

they have this great omniscient power, this height of position, to anoint players - denoting, of

course, that they already consider themselves anointed.

It's the self-importance of these buzzards, without a hint of irony, that just kills me. It's like

watching a game with 'Rainman' nattering in your ear!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

I read that article earlier as well RHO (I surf the Gazzette regularly for Steelers updates), and I'd have to say the writer didn't pull any punches on the home team. Good on him. One of the few that acknowledged the Bruins for their achievement in shutting down a very potent offensive team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Not to take anything away from the B's - they clearly deserved the sweep...but it's really a game of inches.  One lucky Pittsburgh bounce in both games 3 & 4 and we could possibly be 2-2 right now.  Other than game 2, I would hardly classify this series as a Bruins beating.   If I'm Shero, I am not rushing judgement on my coach or lineup just yet.  Sometimes it takes time for new players to gel within the lineup - did they have enough time accomplish this?  Probably not.  With their existing line-up, they're probably Cup favorites for 2013-2014.  And the B's probably get no respect again, just the way we like it! 

I think luck definitely played a role in the last two games, and the B's had it in spades.  But the thing is, the Bruins pounded the Pens in the other two games.  So even if luck were all evened out, the Bruins would be up 3-1 with a large advantage in goal differential.  They still would have won.  Luck and bounces may have cost the Pens a game.  It didn't cost them 4.

Very good article out of Pittsburgh there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I think luck definitely played a role in the last two games, and the B's had it in spades.  But the thing is, the Bruins pounded the Pens in the other two games.  So even if luck were all evened out, the Bruins would be up 3-1 with a large advantage in goal differential.  They still would have won.  Luck and bounces may have cost the Pens a game.  It didn't cost them 4.

The writer mentioned McQuaid's winning goal in game 4, but no mention of it going off Iggy's stick.  Some things are just too painful to write!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

The writer mentioned McQuaid's winning goal in game 4, but no mention of it going off Iggy's stick.  Some things are just too painful to write!!

One persons pain is another persons ecstasy.