Penguins place Orpik on IR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Re: Penguins place Orpik on IR

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=23679&navid=nhl:topheads

Before I react I will wait too see how long Orpik is on LTIR after the Thornton ruling comes down.

Shero being clever ?

Yeah, it makes sense that they would put an important player like Orpik on the shelf under false pretenses for the purpose of having the Bruins goon get suspended longer.

Jeez.

Why not? Do you think the Pens organization are the white knights of the league? This is the same org that employed Cooke and bellyached about headshots, they are not exempt.

Come on, this isnt wrestling.   How does orpik faking help their cause.  If anything teams wish he would have got up to keep ST in the lineup.  It wasnt lucic that hit him.  Pitt def is hurting badly.  Orpik is a gritty player.  This isnt a soap opera.  

I don't agree that Thornton is a liability.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

This should end the calls of Orpik faking it.

Not from me! Shero doing all he can to make the B's look as bad as possible.

A big F*** Y** from Ray to PC. Nothing too do with making sure Thornton is not on the ice sooner. Shero lobbied the league for days in Florida, during the winter meetings, after the Savard hit. 

I don't think much is below Shero. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

This should end the calls of Orpik faking it.

No f--k--g way!

If there was anything wrong with Orpik he would have remained at Mass General. No way would they have allowed a concussed person on a plane that same evening.

What this proves is that now Shero is into the act.

I can't wait for the next installment of Pengun charades.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

If people think Ray Shero is putting Brooks Orpik on IR so it will influence Shanahans ruling when it comes to Shawn Thornton, then your just as stupid as the posters who claimed Orpik was faking it.

This is Shawn Thornton we are talking about here, not a key player. Pittsburgh and Boston don't meet again this season.

Seriously, thats just stupid.

It's not that far fetched if you look at the Pens schedule. They play Columbus tonight & don't play again until the 13th. That's 6 full days that the Pens can put him on the IR & Orpik misses a game against a lackluster team that has their backup playing as a #1. I'll be the 1st one to admit I was wrong about Orpik & Pens milking it if he misses the game against a divison rivial which is NJ on the 13th. Deal?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

If people think Ray Shero is putting Brooks Orpik on IR so it will influence Shanahans ruling when it comes to Shawn Thornton, then your just as stupid as the posters who claimed Orpik was faking it.

This is Shawn Thornton we are talking about here, not a key player. Pittsburgh and Boston don't meet again this season.

No kidding. Shelving  their shutdown dman for at least 10 days just so ST gets a longer suspension......that Shero is a genius!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

All it should take to dispel the idea that Orpik is acting is one look at his face as they're putting him on the backboard to carry him off the ice.

I don't think concussion was the issue - though I agree with shupe that it can take a lot less than some people thing.  I think the second punch from Thornton is a classic knockout pinching off the thoracic nerve (I think that's right) because Orpik's head is just hanging there like a piece of fruit.

Look at Orpik's eyes.  that is one scared dude.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

No kidding. Shelving  their shutdown dman for at least 10 days just so ST gets a longer suspension......that Shero is a genius!!!

Who said he's shelved for 10 games? He only needs to be out for 7 to be placed on the IR & since Orpik didn't finish the game & went out in the 1st period- That's considered 1 day. It's not about ST- JM. It's about the Boston Bruins & how they play that Shero knows he doesn't have the team that can beat them in a 7 game series. He's hoping to get the league back on his side here. He's hoping this will tame the Bruins. Try anything to win is the cliche'

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For so long, I thought B's fans were the foundation of reason while the rest of the league harbored the nutjobs.

The guy gets knocked motionless, leaves on a stretcher, goes to the hospital and now is on the IR and people are still saying it's all an act.

Sad state of affairs on this subject.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

All it should take to dispel the idea that Orpik is acting is one look at his face as they're putting him on the backboard to carry him off the ice.

I don't think concussion was the issue - though I agree with shupe that it can take a lot less than some people thing.  I think the second punch from Thornton is a classic knockout pinching off the thoracic nerve (I think that's right) because Orpik's head is just hanging there like a piece of fruit.

Look at Orpik's eyes.  that is one scared dude.

Boy i'll say, he was scared allright or in lala land or both.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You're blowing it all with paranoia, you're so insecure it will destroy ya.

Thornton mugged Orpik.  There was no "honour" in what he did no matter what Rusty the clown wants to tell you.  No way any NHL player not named Ribiero or Lapierre agrees to go on IR if he's not in trouble.  I just don't believe that - I don't believe most players would do that; Orpik would have a job tomorrow if the Penguins decided to waive him for not playing along, so it isn't pressure from teh team.  If you're known as "that guy"...

Oh yeah, it's also insurance fraud if you put a guy on IR without a reason.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

For so long, I thought B's fans were the foundation of reason while the rest of the league harbored the nutjobs.

The guy gets knocked motionless, leaves on a stretcher, goes to the hospital and now is on the IR and people are still saying it's all an act.

Well, do a head count.  For everyone here; who thinks Orpik was just acting?

Not me. 

I bet it's 1 out of 50.

Ask me if I think an NHL GM has ever overstated an injury for some strategic benefit and I might say yes to that.

Bruins fan are just as biased as most places, but I would still contend less foolish than Pens fans and less reactionary than Montreal fans.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

You're blowing it all with paranoia, you're so insecure it will destroy ya.

Thornton mugged Orpik.  There was no "honour" in what he did no matter what Rusty the clown wants to tell you.  No way any NHL player not named Ribiero or Lapierre agrees to go on IR if he's not in trouble.  I just don't believe that - I don't believe most players would do that; Orpik would have a job tomorrow if the Penguins decided to waive him for not playing along, so it isn't pressure from teh team.  If you're known as "that guy"...

Oh yeah, it's also insurance fraud if you put a guy on IR without a reason.

Nobody is saying it's not for any reason. I think BO is concussed & you can make that claim from anywhere from a week to the rest of his career. I just don't think it's as bad as the Pens are claiming. I don't see the ferociousness behind those two punches. I've looked at it 100 times. If it's that easy to knock him out. It's no wonder he wouldn't fight ST bareknuckle style.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Really I don't know have watched that replay probably 20times just don't see much of a blow to cause a concussion

Doesnt take much.  A close blow to the face is all it takes. 

Oh I thought that hockey players were tough.

Two handed hack to the ankle, breaks leg "He should drink more milk".

Two shots too the visor, team puts him on LTIR "Doesn't take much".

I see :faceplam

Ive never seen a slash kill a guy.  I have seen one punch kill a guy.  Comparing those two plays.  #typicalsandawg

• You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Not me. 

I bet it's 1 out of 50.

Ask me if I think an NHL GM has ever overstated an injury for some strategic benefit and I might say yes to that.

Bruins fan are just as biased as most places, but I would still contend less foolish than Pens fans and less reactionary than Montreal fans.

Pens announcers are worse then the fans.  Habs fans are the worst.  Leafs fans the most pathetic. 

there is no way on earth a player who plays hard nosed like orpik would leave on a stretcher.  When i played there was a guy that had a knee brace.  He always chased me with it bc i would never touch it outta bad luck.   

Hopefully the suspension comes and goes and we can concern ourselves with the games.  This bruins team is playing Great!  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Pens announcers are worse then the fans.  Habs fans are the worst.  Leafs fans the most pathetic. 

there is no way on earth a player who plays hard nosed like orpik would leave on a stretcher.  When i played there was a guy that had a knee brace.  He always chased me with it bc i would never touch it outta bad luck.   

Hopefully the suspension comes and goes and we can concern ourselves with the games.  This bruins team is playing Great!  

[/QUOTE]

Yes they sure are! Looking forward to tomorrow & Thurs as I'll be at both games.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Really I don't know have watched that replay probably 20times just don't see much of a blow to cause a concussion

Doesnt take much.  A close blow to the face is all it takes.  [/QUOTE]

Oh I thought that hockey players were tough.

Two handed hack to the ankle, breaks leg "He should drink more milk".

Two shots too the visor, team puts him on LTIR "Doesn't take much".

I see :faceplam

[/QUOTE] Ive never seen a slash kill a guy.  I have seen one punch kill a guy.  Comparing those two plays.  #typicalsandawg[/QUOTE]

Please tell me you were just a patrolman and not a detective. Jack the Ripper disagrees with you about slashing. I've never seen a hockey player die from punch to the face.

#stopeatingStarbuckpastriesbadforyourbrain

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Not me. 

I bet it's 1 out of 50.

I think he was faking or exaggerating, but this latest news doesn't help my case.  Not ready to fold my cards just yet.

I was at the Patriots game yesterday.  Rob Gronkowski catches a pass and before he can get fully turned up field, the Browns safety flies in and chops him down like a redwood.  Gronkowski sustains a torn ACL/MCL and a concussion on the play.  He was upright in just a few minutes.  He was helped to his feet to an awaiting cart for transport off the field. 

I don't think I have ever seen a player lay on the ice in manner that Orpik did, or remain down as long as Orpik did.  It looked like the worst thing ever happened in sports.  Until you see the replay.  Orpik goes near-limp from the start (the slew-foot), never bangs his head on the ice.  Please tell how is he able to roll over if we was knocked out?  There is just so little contact, refuse to believe that he was badly injured or was knocked out. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

There is a chance that Orpik could be suffering from emotional trauma. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

I think he was faking or exaggerating, but this latest news doesn't help my case.  Not ready to fold my cards just yet.

I was at the Patriots game yesterday.  Rob Gronkowski catches a pass and before he can get fully turned up field, the Browns safety flies in and chops him down like a redwood.  Gronkowski sustains a torn ACL/MCL and a concussion on the play.  He was upright in just a few minutes.  He was helped to his feet to an awaiting cart for transport off the field. 

I don't think I have ever seen a player lay on the ice in manner that Orpik did, or remain down as long as Orpik did.  It looked like the worst thing ever happened in sports.  Until you see the replay.  Orpik goes near-limp from the start (the slew-foot), never bangs his head on the ice.  Please tell how is he able to roll over if we was knocked out?  There is just so little contact, refuse to believe that he was badly injured or was knocked out. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you Crowls..The action is so limited to prevent such damage. It doesn't make sense for 2....Basically rabbit punches where his head is already on this ice. I just saw 2 of my close buddy's get into it a couple of months ago. One of them literially ran & smoked the other one (who's only 5 8" 170 lbs) The guy who threw punch is (5 10" 190). They're both Martial Artist, but that smack could be heard I bet for half a block! And the little guy laughed & said is that all you got? And everybody started laughing & it was over. I mean what ST did was "nothing" in comparison in my view. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

If this was a ploy by Shero -- then why didn't he just leave him in Mass Gen and have him placed on advanced life support? If they want ST off the ice that bad -- just have Pascal Le Pew wack him in the ankle and break it.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

I saw an angle in super slow mo last night that showed Orpiks head turn sideways before the last blow. The punch caught him the side of the face/temple area.

I don't say this to argue, because I too had a hard time believing 2 rabbit puches, maybe a foot in length would/could do so much damage.

shupe - I don't think your 'one punch that killed' was a 1 foot rabbit punch with a glove on.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:

I saw an angle in super slow mo last night that showed Orpiks head turn sideways before the last blow. The punch caught him the side of the face/temple area.

Which is what I said when I posted the GIF.  A few guys went over and over and over with the "two to the shield" statements and others just believed it to be true.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

A concussion isn't always a knock out and a knock out isn't always a concussion.  Sometimes they do go together.  Gronkowski wasn't knocked out.  Orpik was.

You have a great memory.  Have you ever seen or heard of any player fake being knocked out?  This might be the craziest theory not written by Stanley!  Some players play dead to get the call and then are helped up by the trainer or his pals.  I've never seen someone go so far Broadway that they allow themselves to be removed via stretcher!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

A concussion isn't always a knock out and a knock out isn't always a concussion.  Sometimes they do go together.  Gronkowski wasn't knocked out.  Orpik was.

You have a great memory.  Have you ever seen or heard of any player fake being knocked out?  This might be the craziest theory not written by Stanley!  Some players play dead to get the call and then are helped up by the trainer or his pals.  I've never seen someone go so far Broadway that they allow themselves to be removed via stretcher!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrysDcXajE0

That took 5 seconds on youtube.  Maybe this guy could fight Orpik for the rematch.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

While I can't join Crowls on this and I think Orpik was indeed knocked out, I think most people would agree it was one of the more puzzling knockouts I have ever seen in a hockey game.  I had to watch it several times in slo-mo to believe that Thornton actually landed a decent shot.  Between the visor (yes Nas, the visor) and the gloved hand, it is still very suprising that the punch did so much damage.  Not suspicious, just suprising.

I tried to think of when else I have seen a gloved hand knock a guy out cold, and I recalled Tootoo doing it to Robidas...with a powerful roundhouse into a streaking Robidas, that caught him square in the face.  Watch that, and you understand the need for a stretcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZwbjNvRRc

Orpik's injury was weird, that's all.  I don't think he was faking.  I do think he was knocked out.  But it was very strange.  

Harkened me back to 'Glass Joe' in Mike Tyson's punchout.

My vote would be 5 games for Thornton.

• Sections
    Shortcuts