Penguins Recall Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Penguins Recall Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff

Do you think they would start him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Penguins Recall Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff

I would be surprised if they even dress him.  There is no chance that he starts Game 3.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

Interesting move though recalling him. Do you think it's because either goalie has an injury and the Pens are keeping it close to the vest or because one or both are psychologically damaged?

Either way it's another distraction for Pittsburgh.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

None of the above.  It is typical to recall a third goalie once the AHL team's playoffs are over.  And Scranton's playoffs are over.

Svedberg was recalled by the Bruins. 

Business as usual.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

None of the above.  It is typical to recall a third goalie once the AHL team's playoffs are over.  And Scranton's playoffs are over.

Svedberg was recalled by the Bruins. 

Business as usual.

And thats all it is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Another bum from Miami Ohio...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to ROWDYRODRUST's comment:

Interesting move though recalling him. Do you think it's because either goalie has an injury and the Pens are keeping it close to the vest or because one or both are psychologically damaged?

Either way it's another distraction for Pittsburgh.

believe me both goalies are psychologically damaged. vokoun gave up 6 goals in 3+ periods, and got the hook. when asked in his post game interview if he wanted the gm 3 start, his reply wasn't quite "put me in coach- i'm ready to play". fluery on the other hand gave up a goal on the first shot he's seen in a month, and gave up 3 goals in 2+ periods. in his post game interview he fought back tears. me likey likey. no way that zatkoff gets the call tonight- unless they lose, to go down 3-0 in the series. then what would they have to lose if they started him in game 4?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

But putting Zatkoff in would double the physchological damage.  And you're stuck with a rookie.  And you send your team the message that you're absolutely desperate.  I agree -- can't happen.  Bylsma isn't dumb.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

Thank you all for the input. I knew about it being standard but I was surprised that it received as much attention for something routine so my mind wondered if there was more to it in this case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

But putting Zatkoff in would double the physchological damage.  And you're stuck with a rookie.  And you send your team the message that you're absolutely desperate.  I agree -- can't happen.  Bylsma isn't dumb.

IF, i say IF both goalies look as bad tonight as they did monday, you don't think there is even a shot at seeing zatkoff in game 4? there's no situation more desperate than being down 3-0 and playing on the road- when the other 2 goalies look like damaged goods, is there? i realize i'm getting a little ahead of myself, they do have to lay another egg tonight for this to be even in the realm of possibilities. here's to hopin' they lay another egg!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Maybe they are hoping for pennies from heaven.. remember him?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to adkbeesfan's comment:

[QUOTE]

IF, i say IF both goalies look as bad tonight as they did monday, you don't think there is even a shot at seeing zatkoff in game 4? there's no situation more desperate than being down 3-0 and playing on the road- when the other 2 goalies look like damaged goods, is there? i realize i'm getting a little ahead of myself, they do have to lay another egg tonight for this to be even in the realm of possibilities. here's to hopin' they lay another egg!

[/QUOTE]

Who knows, but I don't think so.  For one, teams can come back from a 0-3 hole, especially ones with the fire power of the Pens, and goalies can get hot again.  Fluery and Vokoun have dealt with big games and big pressure before.  It would be hard to believe that they are just hopelessly rattled for the rest of the series.  I think there is a better chance that one or both of them will regain their footing, than the possibility of a rookie goalie coming up from the AHL and leading them out of an 0-3 hole.

Secondly Bylsma is no reactionary.  Like Julien, he is a steady, stay-the-course kind of coach who let's players (especially veterans) work their way through their slumps.  I think he rides the veterans right up until the ship sinks.  Maybe I'm wrong.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

they can't win with those 2 veterans. Why not give it a shot? What have they got to lose?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

they can't win with those 2 veterans. Why not give it a shot? What have they got to lose?

Why not? Vokoun has essentially had one bad game after a very strong run through Ottawa.  And his captain gave up a breakaway 20 seconds into the game.  If the Penguins actually tighten up their D, there is no reason to think that Vokoun can't give them a chance to win.

The Penguins have scored 1 goal so far in this series.  To blame everything on the goalies and desperately go looking for rookie replacements is short-sighted.  I actually think Vokoun will bounce back and things will get harder for the Bruins.

I hope I'm wrong...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I've also seen goalies called up to give the players someone diofferent to shoot at in practice - give them a different look and different tendencies to deal with than they'd usually see in practice. It can help when the offense is struggling. Not saying that's the case here for sure, but it's possible this isn't about the goalies at all but rather the forwards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

my entire last post was predicated on IF both goalies show no noticeable improvement. then what's to lose? you can say bylsma is not reactionary, but he mentioned shaking up his lines for this game- possibly promoting some youngsters(not to mention switching a couple guys to different lines after game 1), and had a game plan that obviously strayed from what got them to this point going into game 1.  just playing devil's advocate here. i really don't think it matters who they play in goal to be honest, if the bruins play like they have for the last couple weeks, it won't matter. here's to hopin' it really doesn't matter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I think it'll be Vokoun we see & unless he plays awful he'll be the go-to guy from here on out. MAF has now pretty much put his team in the Canucks category. This will be his 4th straight play-off where he has been horrible. They still have a 5m/yr cap hit for another 2 seasons. I say look for a buyout. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

The Penguins have scored 1 goal so far in this series.  To blame everything on the goalies and desperately go looking for rookie replacements is short-sighted.  I actually think Vokoun will bounce back and things will get harder for the Bruins.

I hope I'm wrong...

And I don't think it really was that bad of a game for him. The 2nd goal maybe was an "iffy", but to blame the other 2 on him is a little unfair. Top corner pick on a breakaway & a beautiful 3 way passing play on the other. Where was Pitts D? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

They're in the CF so that means they won 8 games. Before this series Vokoun was 6-1? Now because Pitts took Boston too lightily it's all the goalie's fault they're down?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I doubt it also he starts or even gets a start next game.  Don't they have another goalie that stoned the Prov. Bruins in their playoffs ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

It would be coach suicide. Calling him up is essentially a formality.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

It would be coach suicide. Calling him up is essentially a formality.

If BYlsma loses the next two, coach suicide will be the least of his problems.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

I hope I'm wrong...

And I don't think it really was that bad of a game for him. The 2nd goal maybe was an "iffy", but to blame the other 2 on him is a little unfair. Top corner pick on a breakaway & a beautiful 3 way passing play on the other. Where was Pitts D? 

The D should have cleared the puck on that one.  Letang and Martin watched Horton chip it in.

Sections
Shortcuts