Pens Acquire Murray from SJ

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Pens Acquire Murray from SJ

In response to jmwalters's comment:

Fair enough. I am just going by what they have done/or not done in the past.

I know me also.  In the past PC has matched up well when it came to trades but since last year Shero has done vey well .  Fleecing comes to mind.

This is the type of D the Bruins needed for depth, Shupe has brought this up already and I totally agreed with him. 

Right now Shero leading GM and only a 3 pointer from Chiarelly from the base line can tie it up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

What a deal for Pitt.  Murray is a super heavy hitter.

Douglas Murray Hits

I'm very surprised at the low price San Jose accepted for him.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of boarders here who offer up front-line forwards, defenseman and 1st Round draft choices for nobodies.

It all looks so good on paper for the Pens right now. Come playoff time it will turn into "it was too good to be true".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to MeanE's comment:

Yeah, there are no trades out there, right PC?  Wonder what they traded away?

"The Pittsburgh Penguins have reportedly acquired defenceman Douglas Murray from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a pair of second round draft picks."

I like what PC has been doing in the 2nd round lately. I agree with Red, not a cup propelling deal.

Hall Gill type.  Its not about having the most 50 goal scorers.  Perfect fit for them.  Many role players needed to raise the cup.  A guy like talbot may not get much press but he and a slew of others are just as important.  you already know what they have.  Adding sandpaper with morrow and now murray is perfect.  Murray was in their top 2 pairing for yrs with boyle.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bstn2k11's comment:

Come on people.  Even with a weak D the Pens are the clear favorite to come out of the East. 

Go look at Fluery's SV% the last few years in the playoffs. Don't look at his stats in the regular season but his playoff stats. Things change drastically once the playoffs start, Marc-Andre has not preformed up to his potential the last three years.

'08-09:  .908SV% (623SA-686SV) CUP

'09-10:  .891SV% (339-302) 2nd round exit

The difference between these two years is six saves. 

*Important to note:  This post isn't to start a fight, but to point out that the difference in save percentages for this goaltender between a Cup and a 2nd round exit is minimal and should not be used to take the team lightly.  Pitt is a great team, and over the past two days, they've gotten much better without subtracting anything from their NHL roster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

San do you think the Pens have Vokoun in the event that that happens? I could see Vokoun bailing them out.

Always been a fan of Vokoun's and it was a shrewd signing by Shero. Could go down as last summers best free agent signing if Fleury has hiccups during the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Pitt is a great team, and over the past two days, they've gotten much better without subtracting anything from their NHL roster.

The Subtraction will come when Malkin is added back to the roster. The Penguinos will be shadows of their present selves.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Let's not go 12 rounds of crazy every time another team adds a warm body. Pitt gave up two second rounders for a big D-man who can't pass out of his own end to save his life. Simmer down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Fair enough. I am just going by what they have done/or not done in the past.

Right now Shero leading GM and only a 3 pointer from Chiarelly from the base line can tie it up.

Heh SDSU could have used that great advice last night.

Or I could also mention what my eyes have seen of Fluery the last 3 years and not include his SV%. What the Flyers did to Fleury last year was ridiculous. You are right there is more than just stats. Just not sold on Marc-Andre against a team the can run 3 lines at him.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Let's not go 12 rounds of crazy every time another team adds a warm body. Pitt gave up two second rounders for a big D-man who can't pass out of his own end to save his life. Simmer down.

They already have 2 of the best players in the world.  They are adding pieces to the puzzle.  And doing a great job at it.  and those saying fleury isnt good.  Well he has a cup.  I trust his keeping more then rask.  

2 excellent pickups for a team that already was deep.  they added exactly what they needed.  Two rugged bodies.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Come on people.  Even with a weak D the Pens are the clear favorite to come out of the East. 

Go look at Fluery's SV% the last few years in the playoffs. Don't look at his stats in the regular season but his playoff stats. Things change drastically once the playoffs start, Marc-Andre has not preformed up to his potential the last three years.

'08-09:  .908SV% (623SA-686SV) CUP

'09-10:  .891SV% (339-302) 2nd round exit

The difference between these two years is six saves. 

*Important to note:  This post isn't to start a fight, but to point out that the difference in save percentages for this goaltender between a Cup and a 2nd round exit is minimal and should not be used to take the team lightly.  Pitt is a great team, and over the past two days, they've gotten much better without subtracting anything from their NHL roster.

Great POST!! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

They already have 2 of the best players in the world.  They are adding pieces to the puzzle.  And doing a great job at it.  and those saying fleury isnt good.  Well he has a cup.  I trust his keeping more then rask.  

2 excellent pickups for a team that already was deep.  they added exactly what they needed.  Two rugged bodies.  

DAMMIT SHUPE!! This guy was one of those Kelly type player that nobody saw that I wanted. I never even thought of him until I made up my non fantasty trade thread. This guy will be a silent killer (when he doesn't hit), because he's also a very reliable d-man that will end up being Pitts version of Dennis Siendenberg.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

this

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bstn2k11. Show bstn2k11's posts

Fleury had a decent run when they won the Cup in 2009.  it's not absurd to say he could have the same type of run again this year. 

It’s just frustrating to see a team that is ahead of you in the standings and that has beaten you twice add decent talent to their roster for the playoffs.

PC should have went out and tried to replace Kelly after he went down.  That 3rd line has been dismal.  And you’re telling me there is no better option out there via trade than Jay Pandolfo?  There are younger, more skilled forwards out there that can kill penalties. 

It’s a shortened season, there is no time to sit idle while other teams are loaded up.  Any new players should have a couple of weeks to assimilate before the playoffs begin. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

DAMMIT SHUPE!! This guy was one of those Kelly type player that nobody saw that I wanted. I never even thought of him until I made up my non fantasty trade thread. This guy will be a silent killer (when he doesn't hit), because he's also a very reliable d-man that will end up being Pitts version of Dennis Siendenberg.

Yup. Great pickup.  these are the exact type of moves that helps an already stacked team win.  Its one thing to add this type to an avg team.  Pitt is already heavy favorites to win.  And they added two playoff warriors to a team that needed some snarl in the lineup.  Im not sure who they could have added that is a better fit.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Fleury had a decent run when they won the Cup in 2009.  it's not absurd to say he could have the same type of run again this year. 

It’s just frustrating to see a team that is ahead of you in the standings and that has beaten you twice add decent talent to their roster for the playoffs.

PC should have went out and tried to replace Kelly after he went down.  That 3rd line has been dismal.  And you’re telling me there is no better option out there via trade than Jay Pandolfo?  There are younger, more skilled forwards out there that can kill penalties. 

It’s a shortened season, there is no time to sit idle while other teams are loaded up.  Any new players should have a couple of weeks to assimilate before the playoffs begin. 

I agree with this.  I was all about waiting when one body went down.  Now i gotta watch ahl defense.  For a team that is ready to win now they sure as heck arent helping themselves.   Pitt is set.  Now let all the other teams overpay while they are laughing and waiting.  The east has one team maybe two that pitt should be worried about.  Boston and montreal.  They are my picks for the cup at the moment.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Douglas Murray Hits

it gets better.

More on Murray deal: the 2nd pick in 2014 based on Pitt winning 2 playoff rounds OR resigning him and if neither occurs, it's a 3rd in 2014

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Douglas Murray Hits

two 2nd round picks. i have to disagree with you i think the pens overpaid here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

yes, to reiterate...2 solid depth signings with snarl added to a team that is in the midst of having rattled off 12 wins in a row..and how many without Malkin?.......huge, shrewd signings that we certainly could have used......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

it gets better.

More on Murray deal: the 2nd pick in 2014 based on Pitt winning 2 playoff rounds OR resigning him and if neither occurs, it's a 3rd in 2014

BOOM!!! Shero knows how to work it!! Impressive work.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

Douglas Murray Hits

two 2nd round picks. i have to disagree with you i think the pens overpaid here.

I don't always agree with you. This time, I certainly do.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Morrow could be more of a plus than Murray, but they will both help. The injuries have had a discomforting impact on Chiarelli's plans. The third line , as we know, has been futile from the start. any clue why Claude kept Bourque for so long ? Two weeks should have been enough. We all know that Thornton's retainer is posted under Public Relations to keep the Garden filled with sterling hockey experts. Pandolfo could have been sidelined also, but, Claude failed to use or replace McDermid and Johnson. Horton and Lucic's lack of performance would be enough of a challenge without all of the previous comments. Add in Claude's support for Johnson and Bartkowski and the way is paved for excuse, excuse, excuse. these are management decisions that are not happening even though Chiarelli was good in getting Kelly and Peverly, but faded with Mottau and friends last year. This seems to be a continuation of the fading away recommendations rather than some timely and explosive action. Does Peter's advisory council provide the right direction ? Benning spent a long time in Buffalo and look where they are, and have been.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

I don't think we need Iginla. Just pick up an offensive Dman like Brian Campbell or something. This team needs help at the Blueline!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Sorry....hard not to call them favorites now.

well...... as hot as they are now it's hard to argue but nobody thought the kings would win the cup last year either so.....things can change in a hurry

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to bogie6's comment:

Morrow could be more of a plus than Murray, but they will both help. The injuries have had a discomforting impact on Chiarelli's plans. The third line , as we know, has been futile from the start. any clue why Claude kept Bourque for so long ? Two weeks should have been enough. We all know that Thornton's retainer is posted under Public Relations to keep the Garden filled with sterling hockey experts. Pandolfo could have been sidelined also, but, Claude failed to use or replace McDermid and Johnson. Horton and Lucic's lack of performance would be enough of a challenge without all of the previous comments. Add in Claude's support for Johnson and Bartkowski and the way is paved for excuse, excuse, excuse. these are management decisions that are not happening even though Chiarelli was good in getting Kelly and Peverly, but faded with Mottau and friends last year. This seems to be a continuation of the fading away recommendations rather than some timely and explosive action. Does Peter's advisory council provide the right direction ? Benning spent a long time in Buffalo and look where they are, and have been.

In defence of PC i think he really did think Horton was going to be available for the playoffs, by the time he found out he wasn't, it was too late.

Sections
Shortcuts