Pens Glaring Deficiency

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Pens Glaring Deficiency

One thing that really sticks out to me is that the Pens rarely try to generate offense from the points.  They are always trying to score down low with multiple passes rather than just getting pucks to the net, looking for deflections or rebounds..  Ok by me because that plays into the B's layered D system and gives them time to cover everyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: Pens Glaring Deficiency

In response to hangnail's comment:

One thing that really sticks out to me is that the Pens rarely try to generate offense from the points.  They are always trying to score down low with multiple passes rather than just getting pucks to the net, looking for deflections or rebounds..  Ok by me because that plays into the B's layered D system and gives them time to cover everyone.

There's a reason for it...the B's are blocking the shooting lanes from the point, and everywhere for that matter...usually Letang runs the PP from back there and scores often...let's give the B's credit they played two solid games of defensive hockey while still generating plenty of offense.

The series is far from over so lets hope they can keep up this level of play for the remainder of the series. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

The Pens are a deer in headlights right now... let's keep it that way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I thought their biggest problem was their inability to hang onto the puck.  It seemed like the B's won every puck battle and spent the rest of the evening taking it away and picking off passes.

Pure domination.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

posted at 5/27/2013 7:43 PM EDT

Tomas Vokoun is a 37 year old, nearly .500 goaltender with an over 2.50 goals against average. Im sure you can take hundreds of goaltender's from the NHL's history and cherrypick a couple week's here and there and argue that they're the next Ken Dryden.

Not sold..not even remotely.  Goaltending is their obvious weakness.

And thank you to everyone that road me for the comment. That is all haha

Now let's get another two!!!

Let's go Bruins!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:

posted at 5/27/2013 7:43 PM EDT

Tomas Vokoun is a 37 year old, nearly .500 goaltender with an over 2.50 goals against average. Im sure you can take hundreds of goaltender's from the NHL's history and cherrypick a couple week's here and there and argue that they're the next Ken Dryden.

Not sold..not even remotely.  Goaltending is their obvious weakness.

And thank you to everyone that road me for the comment. That is all haha

Now let's get another two!!!

Let's go Bruins!!!

I don't think the issue with the Pens is their goaltending...First let's give the B's credit for playing an outstanding defensive game, keeping the puck out of their net and giving Rask a chance to come up big.

Second, how many of the goals scored last night, or in game 1, were the goaltenders fault, either Vokoun or Fleury? The B's have found the cracks in the Pens defense and are getting lots of open net type chances that they're capitalizing on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Book pointed out that after Orpik they don't really have anyone. I added Martin to that mix but that is only two then there is a huge drop off in solid defending down low. And what does Bylsma do....throws big Englland in to make things worse. Bylsma doesn't know what to do cause there is no one to bring in from their AHL team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think their downfall this series is they came right out of the gate trying to outhit and be more more physical than the Bruins. This is not the Penguins game.

Someone must have told the Penguins the Flyers were up next after they beat Ottawa, because they have strayed from what got them here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Pretty hard to pick anything adequate out of the Pens game last night.  It's a joke how much is penned about the Pens overall ineffectivness.  A really big part of that is because of the Bruins disciplined, targeted, focused execution so far in the series.  They're controlling the Pens so far.  Another crazy example is goaltending.  Many are blaming Pittsbugh's woes on goaltending.  Playoff teams don't win much, when they only score 1 goal every 2 games.  Especially, when their signature is offense.

Anyway, guess it's more fun being the hopeless underdog.

To me, the "deficiency" than can be exploited,(and must continue to be, or things can change to ugly in a heartbeat) is Pittsburgh's overall depth, and dependance on offense.  I feel the Bruins can smother the Pens core.  I don't think the Pens can reciprocate that feat, and even if they can.....what's left of the 2 teams, heavily favours Boston to win.  I know Fleury's had a hi-lite moment or two, but I've never considered him to be much of a goalie.  Way too inconsistent, so the B's have an advantage there too.

Perhaps the greatest Penguin deficiency right at this moment is "confidence".  It's impossible to over-emphasize confidence in pro sport.  Without it, guys can't even tie their skates right.  Their balance is off, their timing is off, and their mind works differently(worse).

The Bruins haven't "lucked into" 2 wins,(a la Canucks 2011) they've laid down two spankin's.  Crosby and Co know that, and because they're not used to this situation....they're undoubtedly quite rattled.  They'll certainly try harder, but that can make things worse, when you try and force the game.  Pittsburgh needs a little mo-jo, and the B's, have to smell blood.  They have to be more determined now...than they were in game 1.

The Pens are without question elite.  They can turn this thing around in a second.  Part of what's working for the B's now...won't continue to work if the Pens get something to feel good about.

Game 3, is a must win for the Bruins.  They have to be relentless...they have to smother the Penguin big guns.  If they keep winning the battles, the goals will come. 

This one brings back good memories of that semifinal against the powerfull Black Hawks in 70.  Everyone predicted a hard fought, tooth and nail series, that could go either way.  The Hawks won the East, and boasted incredible team defense.  I wagered some of my most prized "crockies" on that one.

The Bruins went into Chicago...stunned everyone by winning both games, and never let off the gas.  Although it's only speculation on my part...I'll always believe things would have played out much differently, had Chicago won game 2 or 3.  It may or may not have changed the eventual winner, but it most definately would have changed the overall package.  I believe it would have resulted in that,.. as advertised,... nail biter.  As it played out....the hockey world was shocked how easily the Hawks were trampled.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Anyway, guess it's more fun being the hopeless underdog."

It's divine!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Look, I'm the first to credit the B's for completely dominating the Penguins, but the goals Fleury gave up were atrocious, and the type of goals we would kill Rask if he allowed. You can't give up the very first shot on you, you can't get burned on an off-angle shot with no distractions in front of you. Vokoun is better than Fleury, and that's not saying much. The Penguins have a massive goaltending weakness and the Bruins benefitted from playing Lundquist last series, who was phenomenal at times even in a short series of losses. The difference between Rask/Lundquist and Fleury/Vokoun is monumental, absolutely a great divide. The Bruins are exploiting that issue for the Pens. It's nice to know that when you have a great pass and take a great shot, the puck is going in. The B's had to essentially work harder on most of the goals scored v Rangers. The Bruins defense was at the top of its game last night too, completely suffocating the Pens over the last 2 periods. Now, enough about the Pens, and let's credit the B's for kicking their crybaby butts the last 2 games on the road.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Look, I'm the first to credit the B's for completely dominating the Penguins, but the goals Fleury gave up were atrocious, and the type of goals we would kill Rask if he allowed. You can't give up the very first shot on you, you can't get burned on an off-angle shot with no distractions in front of you. Vokoun is better than Fleury, and that's not saying much. The Penguins have a massive goaltending weakness and the Bruins benefitted from playing Lundquist last series, who was phenomenal at times even in a short series of losses. The difference between Rask/Lundquist and Fleury/Vokoun is monumental, absolutely a great divide. The Bruins are exploiting that issue for the Pens. It's nice to know that when you have a great pass and take a great shot, the puck is going in. The B's had to essentially work harder on most of the goals scored v Rangers. The Bruins defense was at the top of its game last night too, completely suffocating the Pens over the last 2 periods. Now, enough about the Pens, and let's credit the B's for kicking their crybaby butts the last 2 games on the road.

danny, I disagree with you somewhat here...the Pens goalies have no defense in front of them and the B's are getting open shots on open sides of the net...for example in Game 2:

Vokoun:

1. Marchand - breakaway - goalie had no chance
    2. Horton - Letang lets him get rebound and he lifts it into open side of net
    3. Krejci - Incredible passing by the entire line leads Krecji with an open net shot at the top of the circle.

Fleury:

1. Marchand - picked the top corner, exactly like the goal that Rask gave up to Sutter...both were perfect shots.
    2. Bergeron - once again the B's were allowed to set up in perfect shooting positions and a great pass by Jagr gave Bergeron the open net to score.
    3. Boychuk - another pinpoint shot that rang the post and went in.

With all this said, the Pens have just not played well in the first two games and the B's deserve all the credit because they have been dominant...lets hope they can keep in going and get two more wins in this series.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Don't count your chickens before it's done. The Bruins need to focus on taking every game, one at a time, no let downs, no cheap shots, just solid Bruins hockey. Claude is using his troops with a solid game plan, something we criticized as lacking during the season, but he has complete buy-in and all lines playing hard. The offensive plays are almost picture perfect from both Kreji's and Bergeron's lines while Kelly's and Campbell's lines are clearly disrupting much of the Pens set-ups. Plus all Lines are playing Claude's defense and covering for their "D" on every shift. Great team hockey.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

I don't think you'll get much argument that the b's have the edge in goaltending, however, I don't see Fleury as being the culprit for the hole Pittsburgh's in right now.  That first one on him last night was a carbon copy of the Pens goal just a few seconds earlier.  Both great shots that'll sometimes get stopped, but will also go in plenty of times.

Boston deserves some credit for putting together some really good scoring chances.  Take goaltending out of the equation, and Pittsburgh "still" loses both games.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Rask would have allowed plenty of the goals that the Pens let in. The goalies were hung out to dry on just about every single one of them. I can't imagine that even the best goalies would have let in less than 3 or 4 of those last night. The only ones some may have stopped were actually the Marchand shots, which were great shots, but the other ones were quick one-timers, a rebound, and a perfectly placed shot through a screen.

Can we finally credit Claude and PC for putting together a two-way team? It is clearly an equalizer when you don't have all-world talent and playing against all-world talent. The Bruins have built depth with solid two-way players and good goaltending, and that matches up well against teams who try to stick-handle and finesse the crap out of you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

How can you pick just one deficiency?

- No control of the points

- Out of position on the back check

- Lack of puck control

- Barely over 30 per cent on the draws

- Not reading the passing lanes (fed the puck right on to Krug's stick)

- Distracted from the game at hand (Cooke chirping with Marchand while Marchand has position on him, allowing Marchand to turn up ice into the play unrestricted and uncovered)

- Not able to push Boston off the points when the Bruins are attacking

- Not able to offer their keepers puck assistance around the crease

- No control behind the Boston net, which is a strong suit of their offence normally

- Not able to capitalize on momentum shifts (25 seconds?)

Need I go on? Boston played great, but the Pens looked more like the Flames. Maybe it's the curse of Iginla.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

The Pens glaring deficiency is that they are playing the Bruins.

Game 2 was much more about Boston imposing their will and being surgical in how they executed their game plan in all 3 zones way more than anything Pittsburgh was or wasn't doing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

soxdog - Boychuk's shot wasn't perfectly placed off the pipe and in. It was perfectly placed to glance off MAF, and then hit the post, and then go in. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

For every struggle the Penguins have had, the Bruins have been equally dominant. They haven't played this well since November/December 2011.

We just gotta hope it's not a flash in the pan and that they can keep this up the rest of the way.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

they thought they were going to steamroll the bruins like they did the rest of the nhl during the regular season. "we have sid, we have geno, we have letang...how could we possibly lose"- they along with 95% of the hockey world believed this was true. this series is far from over, but i like where the bruins are at right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Pens had an easy draw the Islanders and Sens

This is the first good team they have faced

Go Bruins!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

From the Edwards chat today:

Comment From O.C. What happened these first two games was atrocious pro-Bruins officiating that threw the Pens completely off their game, coupled with the tightness that comes from playing at home and getting such bad calls. That won't go on--the one thing you can give to Bettman is that he can read a balance sheet and he apprenticed under the master. Plus, wall remember how the B's not just blew a 3-0 lead 3 years ago to the Flyers, but also a 2-0 lead in this exact same situation to the Pens back in 1991. I expect a 5-1 Pittsburgh win tomorrow to burst the bubble, and the Pens to take Game 7 back at home with humbled refs.

It seems some think their biggest deficiency is relying on the officiating to go their way.

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Weiner Scent! --

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

soxdog - Boychuk's shot wasn't perfectly placed off the pipe and in. It was perfectly placed to glance off MAF, and then hit the post, and then go in. 

Actually you are correct the puck did deflect off his leg pad and hit the top corner post. However, was Fleury screened on that play or did the puck just hit at the right spot on the pad so it deflected in?

I guess if you wanted to blame Fleury on that one, I guess that would be the case...but the horse was out of the barn when that goal went in anyway.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

For every struggle the Penguins have had, the Bruins have been equally dominant. They haven't played this well since November/December 2011.

We just gotta hope it's not a flash in the pan and that they can keep this up the rest of the way.

Exactly. During that spell, they won 6-1 in NJ. Next night beat Calgary 9-0. I wonder which game Iggy liked better? 9-0 or 6-1 last night?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

Actually you are correct the puck did deflect off his leg pad and hit the top corner post. However, was Fleury screened on that play or did the puck just hit at the right spot on the pad so it deflected in?

I guess if you wanted to blame Fleury on that one, I guess that would be the case...but the horse was out of the barn when that goal went in anyway.

by no means do i think goaltending is pitts biggest issue right now, however if you're going to say taht their goaltending was even adequate you would be dead wrong. 1st goal, breakaway, but saveable. 2nd goal, should have been saved. 3rd goal, nothing goaltending could do. 4th goal, needs to be saved. 5th goal, not on the goalie. 6th goal, HORRIBLE goal, needs to be saved

Sections
Shortcuts