Peter Chiarelli Defends Claude Julien, Says Coach's Job Is Safe This Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Peter Chiarelli Defends Claude Julien, Says Coach's Job Is Safe This Season

http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/peter-chiarelli-defends-claude-julien-says-coachs-job-is-safe-this-season.html

As a guest on The Toucher and Rich Show, Chiarelli was asked if Julien's job is in danger, and he clearly stated that it was not.

"That's my preference and that's my reccomendation, but this is a collective thing that we do on these matters," he said. "But I have full confidence in Claude and his staff to figure it out."

"At some point, if we have to change the personnel, then we'll change the personnel," he said."

Neely could reccomend to Jacobs he fire Julien but it has to collective decesion through ownership and for those of you on this board that thinks that Cam can fire Chiarelli anytime he wants stop smokin that stainky daimker it's simply not true.

Spin it anyway you want but trades will come before Julien goes! Tongue out

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Peter Chiarelli Defends Claude Julien, Says Coach's Job Is Safe This Season

In Response to Peter Chiarelli Defends Claude Julien, Says Coach's Job Is Safe This Season:
    http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/peter-chiarelli-defends-claude-julien-says-coachs-job-is-safe-this-season.html As a guest on The Toucher and Rich Show , Chiarelli was asked if Julien's job is in danger, and he clearly stated that it was not. "That's my preference and that's my reccomendation, but this is a collective thing that we do on these matters," he said. "But I have full confidence in Claude and his staff to figure it out." "At some point, if we have to change the personnel, then we'll change the personnel ," he said."Neely could reccomend to Jacobs he fire Julien but it has to collective decesion through ownership and for those of you on this board that thinks that Cam can fire Chiarelli anytime he wants stop smokin that stainky daimker it's simply not true. Spin it anyway you want but trades will come before Julien goes!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

No surprises there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In fairness though, no GM ever says "yeah, we're considering firing him pretty soon".  I think the fact that Chiarelli equivocated at all is telling.  Lamarillo has been saying the same thing in New Jersey and I don't think anyone believes it there.

I do think that player movement/trades are more likley than a firing of the coach, but the quote above from Chiarelli still makes it seem like a possibility to me.  Reading between the lines on Chiarelli I think you get:

-I'm not in favor of firing him, but if the consensus of the management staff is, then it could happen.  It is not my decision alone.

-Claude needs to "figure it out" (and what if he doesn't?).

-Players are on notice -- nobody is above a trade. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

PC has to publicly defend CJ, he gave him the extension.  He has to, given the Dave Lewis debacle, CJ is his guy.  It will be interesting to see this Neely vs PC thing plays out and if Neely ultimately has the ear of ownership, do both CJ & PC go?

This whole ordeal has reflected poorly on B's Leadership.  Nobody knows who has the "stroke" to fire the coach, sounds like PC is calling it a committee approach.  PC is showing strong backing for CJ, but Neely's support has been tepid, at best.  Something/someone has to give....or win. 

Sandog- do agree that given PC's public statements supporting the coach, that personnel changes are likely in the short-term.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number4forever. Show Number4forever's posts

Yeah..that's the company line for now....but I suspect things will change if the Bruins start to slide...and I hope it deosn't come to this and CJ can adjust his system...to cultivate/ motivate the offensive talent he has on the roster 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I agree with all if trades are made and there still is a fall in the standings then no way does Julien stay then this will reflect badly on Chiarelli because in Neely and Jacobs mind they had to pay for another coaching selection by PC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In Response to Peter Chiarelli Defends Claude Julien, Says Coach's Job Is Safe This Season:
    http://www.nesn.com/2010/12/peter-chiarelli-defends-claude-julien-says-coachs-job-is-safe-this-season.html As a guest on The Toucher and Rich Show , Chiarelli was asked if Julien's job is in danger, and he clearly stated that it was not. "That's my preference and that's my reccomendation, but this is a collective thing that we do on these matters," he said. "But I have full confidence in Claude and his staff to figure it out." "At some point, if we have to change the personnel, then we'll change the personnel ," he said."Neely could reccomend to Jacobs he fire Julien but it has to collective decesion through ownership and for those of you on this board that thinks that Cam can fire Chiarelli anytime he wants stop smokin that stainky daimker it's simply not true. Spin it anyway you want but trades will come before Julien goes!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

Isnt this the kiss of death usually? The GM defends a coach and ultimately that coach is fired. Didnt PC say the same about Dave Lewis before they let him go?  I just want to see the team turn it around, some how, either a coaching change, a strategy change, player changes. Its frustrating as a fan to see a team go through struggles, imagine what the guys who pay them feel.

What do you do first to try and change the tide?

1. Coaching Change
    2. Call up's (Caron? Hamill, Could give the kid a confidence boost? )
    3. Trade  (who do you move out)
    4. Change of team philosophy/strategy? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Thanks Sandog,  the CJ tenure is locked in for the remainder of the NHL season.  If by chance the Bs continue to play without a certain desperation then the coach change could be in February.  Given the nature of the talent and skill on the team the chance of a coaching change is slim.  Some one on here said it is up to the players if CJ is coach at this point.  No response, no pulse, the management team will have to "face the music" pardon the old old expression.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Posted by SanDogBrewin

Charelli has to defend Julien i can"t see him firing him,i think if Julien goes so does Charelli.Really doubt Neely has enough power to fire both,i'm sure Sinden did,i hope i'm wrong,Neely does sound fed up with team and style they play like the rest of us,just don't think it's his call to make those kind of changes.Neely doesn't seem like type to just put up with situation,got to wander if he says enough is enough. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Hard to imagine that nibbling on the margins by trading a player like Hunwick or even Paille gets you any kind of meaningful lift.  Seems like you have to move an impact/popular player to get everyone's attention.  Maybe PC looks at loosening the log-jam at C (Savard, Bergeron and Krejci). 

PC has kind of painted himself into a box with limited/no available cap space, yet having to make roster changes to shake things up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

If this team continues to struggle winning games then it makes sense that trades will happen. Anybody could be traded. If the team contines to stumble, then the coach will go and if the season is a total bomb, the GM will go as well. It would be nice to see this team string 3 or 6 games together. Merry Christmas all !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

PC's preference is the same as ANY GM who hired a coach to help win a championship. PC doesn't WANT to fire ANYONE! He wants to still & has to have some faith in the staff that he hired to reach the goal of winning. Just because he says he perfers to keep CJ doesn't mean he WON'T get rid of him. Doesn't mean he won't trade certain players like a Marc Savard, Wheeler or heck even a Krejci or a Bergeron! I think you have a Prez who's looking to change things NOW! And a GM who wants to wait it out a bit longer! CJ is Peter's guy. He brought him in & he re-signed him. He's going to put this off as long he can.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

SanDog...glad you brought this up. PC isn't going to replace Juilen unless some type of epic collapse takes place, which probably won't ever happen with this tandem in goal.
     Imagine the conversation that would need to take place.

PC: I think we need to make a change behind the bench
    JJ: But you just spent my money on an extension for this coach
    PC: Yeah, that probably isn't going to work out
    JJ: So what you're really telling me is that I'm paying you to make decisions with my money, and it's evident that you are responsible for this problem -so it looks like I'm going to need a GM and a coach.  

If this didn't take place after the Philly series, don't expect troubles in December to bring change.
    This GM has to defend this coach and this roster, because he's the one who put it together. For him to make drastic changes would ultimately point the microscope directly at him. Cam is the only hope, but I'm not sure even he could or would try to convince this owner of paying people after they're gone. It is what it is, so hope for the best.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Chiarelli Defends Claude Julien, Says Coach's Job Is Safe This Season:
    Hard to imagine that nibbling on the margins by trading a player like Hunwick or even Paille gets you any kind of meaningful lift.  Seems like you have to move an impact/popular player to get everyone's attention.  Maybe PC looks at loosening the log-jam at C (Savard, Bergeron and Krejci).  PC has kind of painted himself into a box with limited/no available cap space, yet having to make roster changes to shake things up.Posted by Crowls2424

This is what it will be absolutely Crowls! Can't keep nibbling it will have to be major move to get speed on the wings and a more mobile defenseman...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Chiarelli Defends Claude Julien, Says Coach's Job Is Safe This Season:
    Hard to imagine that nibbling on the margins by trading a player like Hunwick or even Paille gets you any kind of meaningful lift.  Seems like you have to move an impact/popular player to get everyone's attention.  Maybe PC looks at loosening the log-jam at C (Savard, Bergeron and Krejci).  PC has kind of painted himself into a box with limited/no available cap space, yet having to make roster changes to shake things up.
    Posted by Crowls2424

Been sayin since before the draft...it's mathematics - too many at one spot means not enough at another.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Funny thing PC announced that he was keep Lewis about a week later Lewis was fired.  Every GM will support his coach until the bitter end to prevent the coach from being a lame duck.  If PC was to even hint at a coaching change the players would feel justified in not listen to Julien.

PS I have been watching hockey for over 30 years and every Gm over that time has come out with a vote of cofindence in his coach shortly before fire them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Peter needs to back Claude, but not forever. Peter has assembled a very good team, with only a few changes, some were unexpected. Noone expected Recchi to deteriorate so much and so quickly. How to resolve will need to be sensitive; Noone expected Horton to pull a "Ryder". This is a coaching problem that should not be allowed to linger. Ryder should not be allowed to still float- this is also a coaching problem. If these three "problems" are corrected, this team will play better. Still need Savard to regain his capability; still need Kreji to regain his skills;then if Peter can change the defense contingent so that Stuart or Ference is replaced by a more experienced D with skills like Kamfer; then only Claude's system will need some realignment

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Psstttt.... Black and Gold Homers....

Here's what it likely means....

JJ is too cheap to get a new head coach to replace Mr. 3-0, 3-0, uh-oh !

That's my read anyways...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Psstttt.... Black and Gold Homers.... Here's what it likely means.... JJ is too cheap to get a new head coach to replace Mr. 3-0, 3-0, uh-oh ! That's my read anyways...
    Posted by RMiller87

OMG it is the ghost of Christmas Past.  Great White Buffalo RMiller, now go back into your log cabin basement in the Laurentian Mountains.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

CJ's gone before the end of the season.  Cam won't let it go on for another whole season.  From what I hear (I wasn't in town for Neely years), he was a very proud player and i wouldn't expect that to change as President.

He won't let 2009-2010 happen again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

SanDog...glad you brought this up. PC isn't going to replace Juilen unless some type of epic collapse takes place, which probably won't ever happen with this tandem in goal.  Imagine the conversation that would need to take place. PC: I think we need to make a change behind the bench JJ: But you just spent my money on an extension for this coach PC: Yeah, that probably isn't going to work out JJ: So what you're really telling me is that I'm paying you to make decisions with my money, and it's evident that you are responsible for this problem -so it looks like I'm going to need a GM and a coach.   Posted by JWensink

JW, You're right that Cam won't allow this and neither will Chiarelli but here me out. Neely would have a hard time trying to explain to JJ that he should get rid of PC if this GM is about to bring another top 5 pick that Jacobs has the rights to keep around 2.2Mil a year for the next three years. Jeremy will look for every way to save himself money as we know not paying Julien to coach somewher else is one of them.

Think about the history of JJ and now he can control entry level studs for years and PC has lined that up for him with the Kessel trade. Speaking of trades this will be Julien's last chance this spring as I do believe Chiarelli will be compelled to make moves about the 3rd week of January.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

I'll say it one more time: 

When Chiarelli was hired as GM during the summer of 2006, JJ said that he was so impressed with PC that he expected Chiarelli would eventually become President of the B's after a successful run as GM, noting too that son Charlie wasn't interested in becoming president.  So come this past spring, four years into PC's tenure as GM, what happened?  Chiarelli remained in his GM post, and three-year VP Neely was promoted to team President.  This was no mere coincidence IMHO. 

At the press conference, JJ's right-hand man Harry Sinden (who remains part of the organization as an advisor to the Jacobs) went out of his way to say how impressed he'd been by how Neely had grown and developed as a VP, that Cam had the respect of everyone inside and outside the organization and was thus the logical choice to become team President.  Which all makes sense on the surface of it, but if we dig a bit deeper, maybe we can see what may have been the real reasons behind Neely's promotion:

Why was Neely named President, and not Chiarelli?  Because someone within the B's organization...and I believe it was Harry Sinden...had the foresight to realize that if the B's fell on their faces this season, someone needed to be in charge in case changes needed to be made.  Neely played for the B's and is a Hall of Famer.  Chiarelli played for Harvard.  Neely's Black-and-Gold blood is thicker than Chiarelli's water.  Consider also that Cam has Sinden on his side, and Sinden has Jacobs on his side, so no one should doubt that Cam, along with Sinden, has the power and authority to determine the current and future direction of the Bruins.  Which is the way JJ (Charlie J.) and Sinden want it.  In Neely, they have someone in charge they know, trust and believe in.   I'm not sure they feel the same about Chiarelli.

So let's not kid ourselves:  as team President, Neely really does have the final say on PC and thus on CJ.   If PC disagrees too much about CJ's possible firing, PC could well end up following CJ out the door.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You know, other than the length of CJ's extension, I think PC pretty much got what he needed out of his second coaching hire.  Team had no structure; team has structure.  Team needed to bring in fresh, young talent; team has added Krejci, Lucic, Boychuck, in key roles, plus Marchand, Kampfer, and Caron have had looks.  Team hadn't won a playoff round in a decade; team has won two series and come oh, so close to winning two second round series in two years.

Good enough to be satisfied and say yep, let's keep that Julien guy?  Not anymore.  Good enough to say that the results justify the cash out the door?  You know what?  Yeah.  If you look at the cost of screwing up on player salaries vs. the cost of bringing in a coach who will take you a significant step forward if not the final step, I have to think Claude could go and you could consider his remaining paymet nothing more than a bonus he earned.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Hey Islamorada "How much easier is self satisfaction with self gratification."

Sections
Shortcuts