Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskerr. Show dskerr's posts

Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5

I really do like his game, but $3.25M per year is too much....he is making $1.325M right now, so what justifies a $2M per year increase??  Something in the $2M-$2.5M range would have been reasonable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5 : That being the case, I'd be very hesitant to sign any UFA.  Because you know you are going to get ripped off. I think he was being a little bit nice to Peverley.
    Posted by mattc355[/QUOTE]
    Matt, you may be right. The better question might be how often do you see a "good deal" regarding a UFA? This summer showed us that the owners will line up to overpay once a bidding war begins. PC did a good job of ensuring that no bidding war could start up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5 : It's a moot point.  I like Peverley. Fact:  Peverley scored 22 and had 55 points in 2009-10 while making $500,000. He signed his 2 year $1.3 per contract after that season.  
    Posted by mattc355[/QUOTE]
    He was RFA when he signed that deal. Circumstances changed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

When you look at the absurd money that was thrown around the last UFA frenzy, what Peverly got was very reasonable. If he had waited, who knows what he would have got. With teams over paying trying to reach the cap floor anything is possible. Its a good fit with Peverly and he is a good player who seems to be well liked by his teamates. I'm sure he doesn't have a no trade with this deal (at least i would hope not) and can be moved if other contracts of more importance have to be added.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

Too much money. He's not a second line player. Count this as a PC Blunder. a 3 year contract is a joke for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Too much money. He's not a second line player. Count this as a PC Blunder. a 3 year contract is a joke for him.
    Posted by Olsonicator[/QUOTE]

Care to explain why not?

He was a second line player in Atlanta.  He appears that he will be a second line player here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I say its too much money for Peverley ...

Krejci ...I would try to deal him ..still an excellent player and very talented but he is not the same player since his last injury ...his value is still very high on the market ...we could get an elite player if we add another player to the package ...why not try Kopitar for Krejci and Seidenberg ...

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tuckerw3. Show Tuckerw3's posts

You have to give pc credit for the most part other than kaberle for making good trade deadline acquisitions that ended up being great for the future such as recchi, seidenburg, and peverly instead of rentals

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I say its too much money for Peverley ... Krejci ...I would try to deal him ..still an excellent player and very talented but he is not the same player since his last injury ...his value is still very high on the market ...we could get an elite player if we add another player to the package ...why not try Kopitar for Krejci and Seidenberg ... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]
    Seriously Stanley? Last year you suggested PC should give Wheeler as much as 4 million. Now you think PC overpaid his replacement?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]I say its too much money for Peverley ... Krejci ...I would try to deal him ..still an excellent player and very talented but he is not the same player since his last injury ...his value is still very high on the market ...we could get an elite player if we add another player to the package ...why not try Kopitar for Krejci and Seidenberg ... Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Huh ? Not the same since his last injury ? Lead B's in scoring in the playoffs  and is a pivotal player in the Cup win and you trade him. I didn't know Kopitar was available .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5 : Huh ? Not the same since his last injury ? Lead B's in scoring in the playoffs  and is a pivotal player in the Cup win and you trade him. I didn't know Kopitar was available .
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. He might as well have suggested PC try to trade those 2 for a mid-80's Gretzky........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5 : Agreed. He might as well have suggested PC try to trade those 2 for a mid-80's Gretzky........
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    Dez, that deal i might have made. ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Because I don't think that is even remotely a good trade. Leading playoff scorer, and a shutdown top pairing d-man? No thanks. Kopitar is good, but nowhere near good enough to pick up the slack of losing 2 of our top players.

I like the signing. Peverly is a good player, and I see him putting up a decent amount of points this year. I'm betting he bests his career numbers if he stays healthy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I feel like anyone saying the B's paid too much did have not watched Peverley play. He's a very good player with a great attitude and compete level.  He was a first-liner in Atlanta, has put up (a Marchand-like) 40+ points in 3 straight seasons (once 55) and is very good defensively.  If that isn't a "second line" player, i don't know what is. He is also playing the best hockey of his career now so his best years are likely going to be during the contract. Also, he is on pace for 54goals this season. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5 : Care to explain why not? He was a second line player in Atlanta.  He appears that he will be a second line player here.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Because there is a difference between second liners on a playoff/cup challenger and a bottom dweller/non-playoff team. Because Simon Gange got a two year 7 million dollar deal in the off-season and is a better player.

I dunno. Peverly is good killing penalties, but he doesn't finish consistently enough for me to be next to Patrice Bergeron. Patrice will get the puck on your stick on good position to score, so we obviously need someone that will consistently bury it (like seguin on that line, or a vet on a 1 year deal).  I think they went a little high on the money, and one year too many.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Over the last few years, Gange has put up worse points totals than peverley on average.  The only thing he is consistent at is injury.  I would much rather have Peverley than Gange at this stage.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5 : Because there is a difference between second liners on a playoff/cup challenger and a bottom dweller/non-playoff team. Because Simon Gange got a two year 7 million dollar deal in the off-season and is a better player. I dunno. Peverly is good killing penalties, but he doesn't finish consistently enough for me to be next to Patrice Bergeron. Patrice will get the puck on your stick on good position to score, so we obviously need someone that will consistently bury it (like seguin on that line, or a vet on a 1 year deal).  I think they went a little high on the money, and one year too many.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

[QUOTE]Over the last few years, Gange has put up worse points totals than peverley on average.  The only thing he is consistent at is injury.  I would much rather have Peverley than Gange at this stage. In Response to Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5 :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

The only reason he hasn't put up more points has been because of injury, he has a much higher ceiling than peverly. I mean, christ he's put up over 40 twice , something peverly doesn't have a chance in hell of doing. I just wish the bruins brass would finally give Bergeron a legit goal scorer on the wing. Who knows, maybe it will be marchand.

I also want to back off a bit from my original statement that this was a clear mistake. Let me say that I feel he could have gotten one fewer year and under 3 million.  One good season from peverly just isn't enough for me to lock him up for three years.  But I also don't think the bruins should have walked away from him, and its not like he's gonna take a hometown discount having only been here one half season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5 : Because there is a difference between second liners on a playoff/cup challenger and a bottom dweller/non-playoff team. Because Simon Gange got a two year 7 million dollar deal in the off-season and is a better player. I dunno. Peverly is good killing penalties, but he doesn't finish consistently enough for me to be next to Patrice Bergeron. Patrice will get the puck on your stick on good position to score, so we obviously need someone that will consistently bury it (like seguin on that line, or a vet on a 1 year deal).  I think they went a little high on the money, and one year too many.

Interesting thoughts.  I agree that he is not a great finisher, but I think his speed and possesion skills make up for it.  I think he is an all-around better player than Recchi was last year, and is therefore a very legitimate replacement for Recchi on the 2nd line.  Maybe the money is a tad high, but I don't think it will hurt the B's to have him as a top-6 forward. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5 : Agreed. He might as well have suggested PC try to trade those 2 for a mid-80's Gretzky........
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he led everyone in playoff scoring, so I would say that he recovered from his injury well enough to outplay both Sedin sisters, Stamkos, Richards, Lecavalier, Kesler, etc. over a long playoff run.  He is in prime form, Kopitar is not available, and Krejci is significantly underpaid compared to league comparables.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ingrizzlebizzles. Show ingrizzlebizzles's posts

This thread is at 49 posts!! Rich's number!!! 

oh wait....  D$#^!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly signed to 3 year extention per Sports hub 98.5 : The only reason he hasn't put up more points has been because of injury, he has a much higher ceiling than peverly. I mean, christ he's put up over 40 twice , something peverly doesn't have a chance in hell of doing. I just wish the bruins brass would finally give Bergeron a legit goal scorer on the wing. Who knows, maybe it will be marchand. I also want to back off a bit from my original statement that this was a clear mistake. Let me say that I feel he could have gotten one fewer year and under 3 million.  One good season from peverly just isn't enough for me to lock him up for three years.  But I also don't think the bruins should have walked away from him, and its not like he's gonna take a hometown discount having only been here one half season.
    That'd be nice, but who do you suggest they get? This summer's free agent class left a lot to be desired. As far as this coming summer, unless you feel confident in Alex Semin, who not only is streaky but would be a terrible fit for Claude's system, or try and take a flyer on Ales Hemsky on a 1 or 2 year deal, there really isn't much out there. Chris Kunitz will be one of the top wingers on the market, but he's had an injury history and although he can get you 25, he's approaching his mid 30's.

I still think Parise gets locked up by the Devils long term.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I too like this extension. Peverley has relatively low NHL mileage (279 games regular season), so I think he still has plenty left in him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]I feel like anyone saying the B's paid too much did have not watched Peverley play. He's a very good player with a great attitude and compete level.  He was a first-liner in Atlanta, has put up (a Marchand-like) 40+ points in 3 straight seasons (once 55) and is very good defensively.  If that isn't a "second line" player, i don't know what is. He is also playing the best hockey of his career now so his best years are likely going to be during the contract. Also, he is on pace for 54goals this season. :)
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I like Rich but just wonder if he is worth 3.25 mil a season. I think its a bad comparison though to marchand brad was a rookie last season we don't know what his ceiling is. At this point I think we know what Pevs is a good hockey player. Just not sure on the 3.25 thats all and yes I watch every bruins game or listen on the radio. I am glad he will be a bruin for the forseeable future but not in love with the yearly cap hit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

I think it's a very good deal for the Bruins.  He's been a great fit since he got here and seems to be improving with every game played.  After seeing him during the Cup run, and a full pre-season, they felt he was going to be a big part of the team and his value was probably only going to go up.

Sure there is some risk in this, but the player has to like the deal too.  This past offseason Ville Leino was given a 6 year $27M deal, so that's the market they are looking at.  There were probably even more ridiculous deals, but that's for a player with similar production.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377861

Sections
Shortcuts