Phaneuf gets 2 games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Phaneuf gets 2 games

In response to MeanE's comment:

Fletch - you want a good example, here it is: http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/bruins/on-the-front-burner/nhl-and-thuggery/100/6927302

You start out by playing moderator: "If you're going to start a new thread, with an opinion.  Explain what the opinion is."  His opinion is that the NHL is hypocritical.  I didn't think that it was too hard to understand.  The NHL encourages hitting & fighting and then is shocked when players get injured.  He thinks that this is hypocritical.  

NAS follow with his snipe, because well, he's a douchetard: Teachers encouage spell check and are shocked by the results!

Red comes in to spray some ice in the goalies face after the whistle!  

This is a prevalent pattern in here.  I did not say what I had to say to single you out.  It is how I feel that this board has become.  If you like the current version of BDC.com that is great. I don't and that is why I don't come in as often or post as often.  Simple as that.  

But that is my opinion Mean, and I have no control over what other people post after that.

Rather than looking at who is posting the thread, I look at the content.  I think that is a lousy thread.  I have no idea what the post even means really.  No analysis, no discussion, no supporting evidence of an opinion, no follow up.  Just slap up a new thread with an inflammatory one liner.  I do find that annoying.  

Wouldn't you agree that's a lousy thread?  It reminds me of the troll threads -- it's just a 'look at me'.

I think there is a desire for quality control here sometimes, not to exclude anyone, but to make the discussions here interesting.  It's like marco starting a new Seguin thread, saying the exact same thing, every time he has more than one goal.  No new discussion, thoughts, or ideas.  It's another 'look at me' thread.  Of course those guys will always have the right to do it that way (I've stuck up for marco), but I think I have the right to express my dislike of it too.  If others agree, so be it.  It isn't planned that way.  

I actually think the regulars here argue about practically everything.  If I start a new post saying "The Sky is Blue", half the people here will disagree.  shupe say it's red.  Stanley will say he predicted a blue sky.  Bookboy will point out that is isn't actually blue and discuss how sight perceptions are shaped in solar photo spectrums.  I'm joking of course, but everyone will argue.  I get mocked about threads I started two years ago.

I think one of the few things people here agree on is a desire for quality debate and discussion.  Sometimes that is expressed by mocking others who contribute nonsense here.  I get that can be annoying and condescending, but I think everyone wants good discussion and debate.  The people who consistently provide it get more respect than those who don't.  I don't think it is anything more than that.  It isn't for me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

"Sometimes that is expressed by mocking others who contribute nonsense here.  I get that can be annoying and condescending, but I think everyone wants good discussion and debate.  The people who consistently provide it get more respect than those who don't."

I believe that many of the regulars that mock and are consescending prevent new people from joining and providing good discussion and debate, maybe with a differing point of view than the daily posters.  Good discussion and debate is subjective and my point is that the regulars in here try to play Judge, Jury and Executioner.  Many regulars have the 'look at me' bug by mocking and condescending others to prove their "superiority" and "intelligence".   I simply don't like the vibe as much any longer.  But as you said others have mentioned it, so I don't think that I am alone in my feelings.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

"Sometimes that is expressed by mocking others who contribute nonsense here.  I get that can be annoying and condescending, but I think everyone wants good discussion and debate.  The people who consistently provide it get more respect than those who don't."

I believe that many of the regulars that mock and are consescending prevent new people from joining and providing good discussion and debate, maybe with a differing point of view than the daily posters.  Good discussion and debate is subjective and my point is that the regulars in here try to play Judge, Jury and Executioner.  Many regulars have the 'look at me' bug by mocking and condescending others to prove their "superiority" and "intelligence".   I simply don't like the vibe as much any longer.  But as you said others have mentioned it, so I don't think that I am alone in my feelings.  

You're the first with enough respect to make me even consider it, which is why I responded to you.  The notion of an Illuminati here still seems ridiculous to me, but I do think that maybe newcomers are pushed away by a lot of inside jokes.  I don't really know what was different in the past though.

My opinion remains that people are judged much more by the content of their posts, than anything else.  I also think that while the 'regulars' may share inside jokes or whatever, there is no real sense of loyalty between them.  Most of them fight all the time.  I think that if I started the 'Thuggery" thread I would have gotten hammered too. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

Since I'm kind of new, I'll weigh in. At first these boards did seem like a bit of a private club. I certainly did a lot more reading than actually posting. This was probably more about me getting a feel for the lay of the land, than anyone making me feel unwelcome. Now it kind of reminds me of sliding into the neighborhood pub at the end of the work day. I'm not really tight with anyone here, but I have a bar stool and can chime into the conversation and everyone here loves the Bruins as I do. Sometimes it feels like I am sitting in between those two crotchety old guys from the balcony on the Muppet Show, but its still a pretty good place to hang out. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Madhouse27's comment:

Since I'm kind of new, I'll weigh in. At first these boards did seem like a bit of a private club. I certainly did a lot more reading than actually posting. This was probably more about me getting a feel for the lay of the land, than anyone making me feel unwelcome. Now it kind of reminds me of sliding into the neighborhood pub at the end of the work day. I'm not really tight with anyone here, but I have a bar stool and can chime into the conversation and everyone here loves the Bruins as I do. Sometimes it feels like I am sitting in between those two crotchety old guys from the balcony on the Muppet Show, but its still a pretty good place to hang out. 

San and Fletch are hard on the head at times.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think many of the regulars love new blood and opinions in here.   Are there regulars? Yes.  i think i have argued with every single person in here.  And a lot with fletch, san, dez, book, bsl, kelv, red, NOB.  But i like it that way.  I come here for that entertainment.  Bc thats what it is.  They are all very smart and most of the time its good to get another persons view.  As for NAS, we seem to agree on many things.  Id love to meet and watch a bruins game with many of the posters on here.  

As for new posters.  I encourage anyone to chime in and enjoy posting.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Funny thing Mean.  I agree with much of what you're saying, but disagree totally with how you interpret those thoughts collectively.

This is a public forum.  You speak publicly about something, and you're open to ridicule.  That's the way it's supposed to be.  The kicker is not ridicule, or being mocked, but whether it's deserved.  We have people here who regularly act like dikks, regardless of the conversation.  We have some clueless individuals who constantly offer up the same kind of drivel.  We have some, it seems that continaully strive to prove their stupidity and rudeness,  but mostly we have posters who contribute some mediocre to great insight, depending on the day.

If the idea that every lame-brain diatribe deserves respect and consideration is your take...count me into that group of elitists.  I believe many people need to spend much more time listening...than talking.  The purpose of debate is not to discuss something endlessly, and have everyone shrug, hug each other and walk away.  The purpose of debate is to take the conversation away from the subjective, and move it more to the objective.  Good debates have winners and losers.  That's how we move ahead.  Many here don't get that, and many that do are traumatized by the mere thought of it.  It shouldn't be dificult to admit if someones wrong, and I personally applaud anyone who does it.  Same goes for someone who admits their view has been changed or updated by better, more pertinent information.

And sure...there's some ball washing.  The best thing you can do is expose it, not run away.  Just be prepared to get hammerred if you don't have things straight.

By anyones standard, I'm not part of any clique here.  Aspiring to be...or being dismayed that I'm not, should have no bearing on my participation.  Frankly, that's more a conversation of insecurity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

Funny thing Mean.  I agree with much of what you're saying, but disagree totally with how you interpret those thoughts collectively.

This is a public forum.  You speak publicly about something, and you're open to ridicule.  That's the way it's supposed to be.  The kicker is not ridicule, or being mocked, but whether it's deserved.  We have people here who regularly act like dikks, regardless of the conversation.  We have some clueless individuals who constantly offer up the same kind of drivel.  We have some, it seems that continaully strive to prove their stupidity and rudeness,  but mostly we have posters who contribute some mediocre to great insight, depending on the day.

If the idea that every lame-brain diatribe deserves respect and consideration is your take...count me into that group of elitists.  I believe many people need to spend much more time listening...than talking.  The purpose of debate is not to discuss something endlessly, and have everyone shrug, hug each other and walk away.  The purpose of debate is to take the conversation away from the subjective, and move it more to the objective.  Good debates have winners and losers.  That's how we move ahead.  Many here don't get that, and many that do are traumatized by the mere thought of it.  It shouldn't be dificult to admit if someones wrong, and I personally applaud anyone who does it.  Same goes for someone who admits their view has been changed or updated by better, more pertinent information.

And sure...there's some ball washing.  The best thing you can do is expose it, not run away.  Just be prepared to get hammerred if you don't have things straight.

By anyones standard, I'm not part of any clique here.  Aspiring to be...or being dismayed that I'm not, should have no bearing on my participation.  Frankly, that's more a conversation of insecurity.

Steve,

i think you are a solid member of the society.  debating on opinions is pretty hard to have a winner or loser.  Im very guilty of killing a topic.  But a lot of times there are no right(me) or wrongs(San/Dez/Fletch/Book).  Ive learned lots from all of them and respect everyones opinion though.   If people dont like whats offered here they dont have to stick around.  I look fwd to chatting with everyone in here.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't think anyone mocks another poster for being new. It's more about what the poster types than the poster. Stanley is proof of that. If people feel there is a clique here and that makes them hesitant to chime in, I guess thats more about them than it would about the regualr posters here. We argue too much amongst ourselves to be considered a clique, and the proof is in all the posts that can be researched at anytime.

That said, we do have some posters on here, new or not, that come in here and try to make it about them or just try to stir things up. I won't deny that they will meet some resistance from myself or other posters here. But again, it would be about the post and not the poster. Some people who come in here and post stuff, tend to take someone disagreeing with them personal. Those posters I think are the ones who use the "clique" excuse. I've had plenty of disagreements here with Fletch, NAS,NOB, Dez,Shupe etc..For the most part, we tend to keep our disagreements respectful, we can argue about several things one day until are hands hurt then agree on everything for the next week. It's part of what keeps this forum fun, that and our passion for all things Bruins and hockey related.

Myself and I think I can speak for others posters when i say we don't mock anyone for just being new. It's a public forum and everyone is welcome. As long as  they come in here knowing I am smarter than anyone else when it comes to anything Bruins or hockey, they will be fine.

Now, if you want to talk about Bookboy, thats whole different story.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Fletch - you want a good example, here it is: http://boston.com/community/forums/sports/bruins/on-the-front-burner/nhl-and-thuggery/100/6927302

You start out by playing moderator: "If you're going to start a new thread, with an opinion.  Explain what the opinion is."  His opinion is that the NHL is hypocritical.  I didn't think that it was too hard to understand.  The NHL encourages hitting & fighting and then is shocked when players get injured.  He thinks that this is hypocritical.  

NAS follow with his snipe, because well, he's a douchetard: Teachers encouage spell check and are shocked by the results!

Red comes in to spray some ice in the goalies face after the whistle!  

This is a prevalent pattern in here.  I did not say what I had to say to single you out.  It is how I feel that this board has become.  If you like the current version of BDC.com that is great. I don't and that is why I don't come in as often or post as often.  Simple as that.  

You and me both, brother. Nearly every thread runs the same course. Brilliant job nailing what it's  come to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Steve,

i think you are a solid member of the society.  debating on opinions is pretty hard to have a winner or loser.  Im very guilty of killing a topic.  But a lot of times there are no right(me) or wrongs(San/Dez/Fletch/Book).  Ive learned lots from all of them and respect everyones opinion though.   If people dont like whats offered here they dont have to stick around.  I look fwd to chatting with everyone in here.  

The plan is not to debate opinions shupe.  It's counter-productive to anything civilized.  We should be debating, debatable points that shape opinion.  Usually there is something right or wrong, if not, the conversation should die very quickly.  This isn't abstract theory from a PHD program.  It used to be taught at the  high school level.

If I post that Gregory Campbell is the best Bruin ever, other posters are entitled to wonder why.  If I say it's because he's always scoring big goals and he has blonde hair, I'm deserving crticism cuz it's wrong.  Further trying to validate that logic, is a hopeless road for me, and the negativity toward me will increase as everyone will want a crack at telling me what a dope I am.  This obviously ups the thread count.  On the other hand, if my response is, 'well, he's just my favorite player.  I really have no idea why I feel that way, I don't have any solid reasoning, and I'm not suggesting it to be fact, I'm just a big Gregory Campbell fan".

Huge difference.  That thread really has no reason to last after the 3rd post and will most likely die quickly, with no hurt feelings, and no name calling.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Steve,

The plan is not to debate opinions shupe.  It's counter-productive to anything civilized.  We should be debating, debatable points that shape opinion.  Usually there is something right or wrong, if not, the conversation should die very quickly.  This isn't abstract theory from a PHD program.  It used to be taught at the  high school level.

If I post that Gregory Campbell is the best Bruin ever, other posters are entitled to wonder why.  If I say it's because he's always scoring big goals and he has blonde hair, I'm deserving crticism cuz it's wrong.  Further trying to validate that logic, is a hopeless road for me, and the negativity toward me will increase as everyone will want a crack at telling me what a dope I am.  This obviously ups the thread count.  On the other hand, if my response is, 'well, he's just my favorite player.  I really have no idea why I feel that way, I don't have any solid reasoning, and I'm not suggesting it to be fact, I'm just a big Gregory Campbell fan".

Huge difference.  That thread really has no reason to last after the 3rd post and will most likely die quickly, with no hurt feelings, and no name calling.

We offer nothing but opinions.  No one is a pro here.  No one has insider info.  We offer nothing but opinions based on our observations.  If i think gretzky is the best ever its based on my viewing, plus throwing stat lines and durability.  others argue orr.  No one is right or wrong.  Its an opinion.  Same applies to most of the threads whether it be illegal hits, to flopping, to dirty plays...everyone sees things differently, everyone "can" have an opinion.  We can debate these back and forth.   you are debating this issues?   Which is an opinion based on what you have observed in here.  Doesnt mean you are correct or wrong.  Its an opinion.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I dont post here all that often but have defintely debated/argued with both old and new posters. Its fun to debate with so many knowledgable fans (for the most part of course) and every now and again you learn something.I genuinely enjoy posting and reading the stuff on here.I dont look at this place as an insiders club or anything like that.  Some posters have just been on here forever and 'know' other posters in a sense, but I dont think that would stop them from giving them a hard time if they say something ridiculous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

I dont post here all that often but have defintely debated/argued with both old and new posters. Its fun to debate with so many knowledgable fans (for the most part of course) and every now and again you learn something.I genuinely enjoy posting and reading the stuff on here.I dont look at this place as an insiders club or anything like that.  Some posters have just been on here forever and 'know' other posters in a sense, but I dont think that would stop them from giving them a hard time if they say something ridiculous.

Im proof to that rule.  Haha.  I have always liked your posts.  And new blood is good sometimes.  As is old blood.   Chowda was a great regular and i wish he posted more often.  BsL has gone missing and he was one of my favorites as well.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

Two games but no penalty...

It blows my mind that people aren't all over this little nugget.  It's not like the refs didn't see this.  Big difference between missing a call, and misinterpreting one.

There is serial indecision/incompetence somewhere between the league hierarchy and their underlings who dispense justice within the games.  Been going on far too long.

Steve, I was always under the impression that even linesmen had the power to call major penalties. If this still holds true, then we have 4 guys who really blew the call. Miller was very lucky that he wasn't seriously injured. He could've broken his neck on a play that reckless. I wonder what the suspension would be then? It sickens me that injury has as much bearing as intent when it comes to Shanny handing out "justice".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

Two games but no penalty...

It blows my mind that people aren't all over this little nugget.  It's not like the refs didn't see this.  Big difference between missing a call, and misinterpreting one.

There is serial indecision/incompetence somewhere between the league hierarchy and their underlings who dispense justice within the games.  Been going on far too long.

Steve, I was always under the impression that even linesmen had the power to call major penalties. If this still holds true, then we have 4 guys who really blew the call. Miller was very lucky that he wasn't seriously injured. He could've broken his neck on a play that reckless. I wonder what the suspension would be then? It sickens me that injury has as much bearing as intent when it comes to Shanny handing out "justice".

Yeah, me too Dez.  Linesmen do have that option.  Like Campbell before him, Shanny is just the front line fall guy.  The problem is a big one, and it starts at the top of the league, and is shared within the PA.  Suspensions are meant to be the result of gross infractions.  when the men calling the shots don't even see it as a minor infraction...there's problems.  bigger problems than Shanny.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Steve,

We offer nothing but opinions.  No one is a pro here.  No one has insider info.  We offer nothing but opinions based on our observations.  If i think gretzky is the best ever its based on my viewing, plus throwing stat lines and durability.  others argue orr.  No one is right or wrong.  Its an opinion.  Same applies to most of the threads whether it be illegal hits, to flopping, to dirty plays...everyone sees things differently, everyone "can" have an opinion.  We can debate these back and forth.   you are debating this issues?   Which is an opinion based on what you have observed in here.  Doesnt mean you are correct or wrong.  Its an opinion.  

You ignored everything above, which should be pretty clear.  Your example above, was covered off.  Actually. it was an example that could be carbon copied.  We're supposed to debate the concrete points that define opinion, at least those with the highest probability of being objective.  That's the whole purpose of discussion and debate.  Actually accomplishing something is always the goal.

Now here's an opinion.  Your take suggests hopelessness, suggesting this is only a gossip community where everyone is right, and God bless everyone's entitlement.  We can debate, but what in the world is the sense in doing so.  Your take promotes ignorance and pig headedness.

Sections
Shortcuts