Phaneuf going to be a leaf for ever.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Re: Phaneuf going to be a leaf for ever.

NAS, the guy has scored 2 goals since becoming a Leaf in 09-10, he been minus many more times than he's been plus, has taken utterly idiotic penalties and can deflate a team like Dennis Wideman can.

You and Shupe have this bizarre love afair with horrible defenseman like Komi and Dionne, I don't get it.

[/QUOTE]

I bet you phanuef is in discussion for canada.  That makes him an elite top dman.  In boston hes behind chara.  Go around the league and tell me what team hes not a top pairing.  Chicago no question.  Then go down the other 29 teams.  Hes better then any other bruin dman not named chara.  He plays high 20 mins a night, is physical, can skate, pass, shot, pk, pp.   He plays every situation and can dominate games.  Hes on a top pairing on just about any team.  

No love affair.  I think expectations for him were sky high.  Id love to have him bc he is a game changer.  Horrible dmen?  Clearly you dont understand the game to say this.  

[/QUOTE]

An elite top D. No. A great #3, yes. He just makes too many mistakes, and does't take control of a game the way a true #1 should. Who was on the ice when the Bruins stormed back to win Game 7? Dion. 

I get to see lots of him, and I am never impressed. He is a very good D, but not a #1. He's on pace for about 32 points, so top 50 D Scoring. Top 20 in +-. Not exactly awe inspiring #s.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

NAS, the guy has scored 2 goals since becoming a Leaf in 09-10, he been minus many more times than he's been plus, has taken utterly idiotic penalties and can deflate a team like Dennis Wideman can.

You and Shupe have this bizarre love afair with horrible defenseman like Komi and Dionne, I don't get it.

I bet you phanuef is in discussion for canada.  That makes him an elite top dman.  In boston hes behind chara.  Go around the league and tell me what team hes not a top pairing.  Chicago no question.  Then go down the other 29 teams.  Hes better then any other bruin dman not named chara.  He plays high 20 mins a night, is physical, can skate, pass, shot, pk, pp.   He plays every situation and can dominate games.  Hes on a top pairing on just about any team.  

No love affair.  I think expectations for him were sky high.  Id love to have him bc he is a game changer.  Horrible dmen?  Clearly you dont understand the game to say this.  

[/QUOTE]

An elite top D. No. A great #3, yes. He just makes too many mistakes, and does't take control of a game the way a true #1 should. Who was on the ice when the Bruins stormed back to win Game 7? Dion. 

I get to see lots of him, and I am never impressed. He is a very good D, but not a #1. He's on pace for about 32 points, so top 50 D Scoring. Top 20 in +-. Not exactly awe inspiring #s.

[/QUOTE]

elite to me is an all star player who is considered to represent his country, plays top minutes for his team, is a leader and is the face of the franchise.  Id say check marks go in all those categories.  what teams is he not in the top pairing.  Outside of chicago, st louis, yotes.   He would be a top pairing in Boston, Pitt, San, Ana, Det, Wash, Rangers, Devils, Montreal, Philly, NYI, Cal, Edm, Van, Ott, Dallas, Minny, Nash, Carolina, etc etc etc.  

i would rather a guy make mistakes from trying and being confident over scared to make a mistake.  

Who was on the ice when philly stormed back being down 3-0 in a series?   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The Lerfs signing Phaneuf is a no brainer if you consider whats left out there and whats available, which is nothing.To replace Celine's minutes and pp and penalty kill time the Lerfs would need to sign a top flight d-man and unless its coming by trade its not happening.While i don't agree that Phaneuf is a legit #1, he is a semi legit #2 and right now the Lerfs have to be happy with that. Moreover,if TO doesn't sign him some team will pay him what he wants next July,so it might as well be the Lerfs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Phaneuf had all the clout in the negotiations.  He'd probably be the top UFA defenseman on the market next summer if he were allowed to reach that point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

elite to me is an all star player who is considered to represent his country, plays top minutes for his team, is a leader and is the face of the franchise.  Id say check marks go in all those categories.  what teams is he not in the top pairing.  Outside of chicago, st louis, yotes.   He would be a top pairing in Boston, Pitt, San, Ana, Det, Wash, Rangers, Devils, Montreal, Philly, NYI, Cal, Edm, Van, Ott, Dallas, Minny, Nash, Carolina, etc etc etc.  

i would rather a guy make mistakes from trying and being confident over scared to make a mistake.  

[/QUOTE]

The Providence Bruins.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Providence Bruins.

[/QUOTE]

I didnt know chara played for them.  ya learn something everyday.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yukamatta409. Show yukamatta409's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I don't understand Nonis - the Leafs finally game some respectability by becoming a playoff team, and then he handcuffs the team's future growth with contracts like Clarkson's and Phaneuf's. It makes no sense.

Don't forget Kessel Red, with the contract Phil just got from Nonis. 8 years 64 million dollar's, I  don't think that there is a worse trio of contracts in the NHL.

A quick comparison of the bruins and maple leafs top 2 forwards and top defenseman.

14-15  15-16  16-17

Kessel     10       10        9                                        

Clarkson    4.75   5.5       7

Phaneuf.     7        7         7

21.75. 22.5      23 =  $67.25 million over 3 years

14-15    15-16.   16-17

Lucic.      6.         6.5.       6.5

Bergeron 7.5.      8.25       8.25

Chara.     7.          7.         5

20.5.       21.75.  19.75 =  $ 62 million over 3 year period

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I can't stand the guy, but the Leafs just had no choice. He's certainly not as brutal as bostonfan191646's makes him out to be that's for sure! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

He would be a top 4 pairing in Boston, Pitt, San, Ana, Det, Wash, Rangers, Devils, Montreal, Philly, NYI, Cal, Edm, Van, Ott, Dallas, Minny, Nash, Carolina, etc etc etc.  

I fixed this for you ^^^^^.

There are a lot of top pairing defencemen in the league that are better then Phaneuf. Thinking he's top pairing on all of these teams shows either:

1) you're too busy critiquing the skills of the 12th forwards around the league. Pay attention from now on .

2) you enjoy watching turnovers and coverage errors.

3) you don't have an opinion of your own and like being a puppet to whatever contrarian views that Nas has. 

I live in Leaf country. They don't share the same point of view. I agree with them and not you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

He would be a top 4 pairing in Boston, Pitt, San, Ana, Det, Wash, Rangers, Devils, Montreal, Philly, NYI, Cal, Edm, Van, Ott, Dallas, Minny, Nash, Carolina, etc etc etc.  

There are a lot of top pairing defencemen in the league that are better then Phaneuf. Thinking he's top pairing on all of these teams shows either:

1) you're too busy critiquing the skills of the 12th forwards around the league. Pay attention from now on .

3) you don't have an opinion of your own and like being a puppet to whatever contrarian views that Nas has. 

I live in Leaf country. They don't share the same point of view. I agree with them and not you.

[/QUOTE]

It didn't need to be fixed.

It wasn't an error.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you speak for all greater toronto?   i like you better when you were in hiding.   

list whos better on all those teams.  I will be waiting.  I will start the first 2 off the list:

boston- chara/ phanuef.   Whos better on the bruins?   

Pitt- letang/phaneuf   

3 time all star, was a norris runner up, has represented canada 4 times and hes made the orientation list for canada.  

you are right hes not elite. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Well, it's official now:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=698226&navid=nhl:topheads

He was a monster in Red Deer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I know one thing for sure, if Phaneuf played for the B's he would be eaten alive on this board after every single game and i mean every single game, that would be pretty hard for a number #2 d-man to survive, he would be booed out of town ala Wideman,sad way to go.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[/QUOTE]

So you speak for all greater toronto?   i like you better when you were in hiding.   

list whos better on all those teams.  I will be waiting.  I will start the first 2 off the list:

boston- chara/ phanuef.   Whos better on the bruins?   

Pitt- letang/phaneuf   

3 time all star, was a norris runner up, has represented canada 4 times and hes made the orientation list for canada.  

you are right hes not elite. 

[/QUOTE]

I will never consider him an elite anything except an elite egostistical dick!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Comments from The Hockey News after Phanuef signing. The description of Phaneuf being elite was found nowhere.

• 13 comments
      Join the discussion…

•   Avatar Charlotte Marks   8 minutes ago

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

As a Bruins fan, I LOVE this deal.

•  
    • Share › 
    •    
    •   Avatar Kevin Oke   16 minutes ago

"and he certainly isn’t the most candid player in NHL history" - I'm not a Leafs fan in the least (Canucks fan, take joy in the Leafs failing) but that's such a lame dig that has nothing to do with the contract signing. Did Phaneuf not answer one of your questions in the scrum one time? Great professional standards being practiced at THN. Laughable "journalism."

•  
    • Share › 
    •    
    •   Avatar sammysosa55   26 minutes ago

Anyway you slice it, this seems like a lot of money to pay a d-man who is not even on the radar for the Olympic team. Note that there are several Olympic hopefuls who earn less.

That said, I am fearful this will turn into another one of those contracts that the Leafs will wish they could get out of in a couple of years (sort of like Luongo, DiPietro or Yashin but with less term). It will be one of those untradeable contracts for sure.

Watch for the Leafs to try to buy him out some day...assuming that is even an option.

•  
    • Share › 
    •    
    •   Avatar Brett Keens   2 hours ago

As a "long time" Leaf fan spanning almost 5 decades, I Strongly agree with "oilerfanalways"...Bring on the "GREAT ONE"...soon.

•  
    • Share › 
    •    
    •   Avatar Ktownboywest   2 hours ago

There are no free agent defencemen available this year of is calibre so you would have to trade other assets to replace him. This was a no brainer, he plays major minutes against the best in the league and is sporting a plus/minus of plus 13. The last defenceman the supposed knowledgeable Toronto fans booed out of town was Larry Murphy and when he returned to Toronto was to the HHOF. It is a pay increase of only 500,000 per season and with the cap increasing every year it will not be a hindrance.

• Share › 
    •    
    •   Avatar oilerfanalways   2 hours ago

Still the most overpaid over-rated player in the game!

•  
    • Share › 
    •    

The only evaluation that really counts will come in the playoffs. Nobody cares to much about who finishes where in the regular season standings, but everybody gets into the playoffs. If the Leafs get past a round or two in the playoffs (prospects don't look so good for that now), the GM and coaches will be all be hailed as men of hockey genius, and the players will be veritable gods among us. If they get knocked out again in the first round, or - horrors! - fail to even get into the tourney, they'll all be demonized as a bunch of bums or worse.

The Leafs are a t eam on the edge. They need their full starting roster healthy to have any chance of getting to, or past, the first round. Too soon to give up on Clarkson, Holland is a find, and the absence of both Bozak and Bolland has really hurt the Leafs. So, the Leafs are a bit of an enigma this year, and it's a little early to judge them 'dead men skating' yet.

•  
    • Share › 
    •    

Good deal for the Leafs, anyone who thinks Phaneuf would re-sign for less than what he already makes is a moron that doesn't live in the reality of NHL salaries. A 500k increase is about as low as it gets. When was the last time a free agent anywhere near Phaneuf's calibre signed with the Leafs? The aged Belfour maybe? Big ticket free agents are never kind to Leafland. ....And doesn't Leaf nation ever learn? Rick Nash, Stamkos, Brad Richards were all going to sign in Toronto according to them but they didn't and the reality is nobody wants to play here. The Leafs are quite lucky to get Kessel and Phanuef to resign. Zdeno Chara Phaneuf is not, but the team is better with him than without him.

• Share › 
    •    
    •   Avatar devilsscore   13 hours ago

The Phaneuf signing shows the take no risk status quo attitude of this GM. Another "Clarkson " signing. Big name no impact player. That's why the leafs are going nowhere.

•  
    • Share › 
    •    
    •   Avatar Dan Goddard   13 hours ago

FACT: Nonis is a moron.

• 1  1 
    • Share › 
    •    
    •   Avatar Field Marshal   15 hours ago

Well of course Nonis is going to "defend" this re-signing. It wouldn't make much sense if he addressed the media stating that Phaneuf didn't deserve the extension and that he was overpaid. What I'd like to know is if Nonis ACTUALLY believes in what he stated. 
      Phaneuf's extension means that the Leafs have essentially "locked up" their core of Kessel, Lupul, Clarkson, JVR, Bozak and Phaneuf. Between these six players, their contracts constitute roughly 50% of the entire team's payroll: ($8M+$5.25M+$5.25M+$4.25M+$4.25M+$7M = $34M/$71M) Considering Lupul's health and Bozak and Clarkson's roles with the team, that is a very expensive core to have on your books, especially when you take into account the actual value the team is getting.
      I don't buy the argument that extending Phaneuf for this term and money "makes sense" because there isn't anyone else, or because "he plays against the best in the league". For that term and amount, Phaneuf should be rivaling Ryan Suter or Brian Campbell in ice-time as well as Keith Yandle or Kevin Shattenkirk for points. But he isn't.
      Phaneuf is 24th in the league among all defencemen in terms of average ice-time. He's 42nd in the league among all defencemen in points, being outscored by the likes of James Wisniewski, Andrej Sekera and Ryan McDonaugh. Points isn't the whole story for defencemen, but if a defender is getting $7M/season, that should be a huge part of their game.

• 4  1 
    • Share › 
    •    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

So you speak for all greater toronto?  

-----------

From the Toronto Sun.

POLL Is the Phaneuf deal good for the Leafs?
    • 36%
    • Yes
    • 282 votes
    •  

• 63%
    • No
    • 492 votes
    •  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you speak for all greater toronto?  

-----------

From the Toronto Sun.

POLL Is the Phaneuf deal good for the Leafs?

• 36%
    • Yes
    • 282 votes
    •  

• 63%
    • No
    • 492 votes
    •  

[/QUOTE]

Leafs fans are never happy.  You ever click on one of these for no good reason?     Happy NY Pauly. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

From the Globe and Mail . These are even better.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/mirtle-phaneuf-contract-a-necessary-evil-for-leafs/article16152770/comments/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

And more from the National Post from Toronto.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/12/31/toronto-maple-leafs-could-have-done-better-and-worse-with-dion-phaneufs-contract-extension/

I believe Greater Toronto has spoken for themselves regarding the Phaneuf signing. He is not considered elite in the city he plays for.

Overrated and overpaid !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Well, random people posted comments and answered a poll online.

That's about all the research I need.

Worst supporting facts ever.

Go back into hiding.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, random people posted comments and answered a poll online.

That's about all the research I need.

Worst supporting facts ever.

Go back into hiding.

[/QUOTE]

Other then ........because you said so..........where's your facts supporting what the majority of people think about the Phaneuf signing  in the GTA ?

Got none ? Didn't think so.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Other then ........because you said so..........where's your facts supporting what the majority of people think about the Phaneuf signing  in the GTA ?

Got none ? Didn't think so.

[/QUOTE]

I haven't made any claims about what the majority of the people in the GTA think.

It turns out I really don't care what they think.

If I did have a position on the subject, however, I wouldn't use comments from an online article to support it. 

How dumb.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[/QUOTE]

I haven't made any claims about what the majority of the people in the GTA think.

It turns out I really don't care what they think.

--------

It turns out you cared enough to reply. 

Now that's dumb........... if you didn't care.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

This will go on forever since there is a huge intangible with Phaneuf - his head.  

He has the size, he has the shot, he can handle the puck, he can hit and he can fight.

The problem with Phaneuf is his head.  Here are some examples, which also need examples.

1) His own on ice interests take precedence over his team.  His ongoing battle with Horton happens no matter what the situation.  Recall in the playoffs he gave Horton a cross check in the final moments of a game which led to a Bruins goal.  Phaneuf's priority was wiping out Horton, not what was going on at the time.

2) His ego impacts his playing style.  Sometimes he carries the puck up ice not becuase of the situation, but because (it looks like) he's made that decision ahead of time because he wants to prove he's a hero.  There are passes available, but instead he waits and carries to center ice and then he'll make a pass (sometimes forcing it) or he'll dump it in.  The situation will be a critical juncture in the game, like a PP when they're behind by a goal late.  "Have no fear, Captain Phaneuf is here.  He will save the day!"

3) His machismo impacts his playing style.  "I am the biggest baddest mother in the valley and must pound someone to prove it."  Again, it's to prove a point and has nothing to do with what's going on in the game.  Running Kevan Miller is a perfect example.  Got him a suspension and insured they would lose that game.

Yes, there are other players who demonstrate this type of stuff.  Yes, you can argue with me about these things and yes it is true I CANNOT read Phaneuf's mind, but he demonstrates this stuff with more consistency than I've seen from any player other than Komiserek (sub in his battles with Lucic).

I don't know if its ego or stupidity, but I see these in game decisions happen a lot with Phaneuf.  I think these decisions hurt his team because they are irrelevant to the team's goal and irrelevant to winning that particular game.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts