Phaneuf on Paille

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: Phaneuf on Paille

Once again the rock hard shoulder pads cause some damage without being penalized. Phaneuf did lift his elbow as a follow thru on the shoulder to the head. Isn't this almost the same as Seidenberg's hit on Bergeron a few years ago ? Somehing to consider for Shanny's view.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

As much as I hate the "result-based" system they've gone to - all business pressure and nothing to do with logic, I guess, when you have Grapes saying that they had to suspend Gryba because a newspaper published the headline "first blood to Senators" - in this case it's pretty clear the result wasn't what we're used to seeing from a  blind-side headshot.  Paille didn't go down, he wasn't on Dizzy street, there was no contusion or bleeding from teh face.

It's hockey.  Play on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

As much as I hate the "result-based" system they've gone to - all business pressure and nothing to do with logic, I guess, when you have Grapes saying that they had to suspend Gryba because a newspaper published the headline "first blood to Senators" - in this case it's pretty clear the result wasn't what we're used to seeing from a  blind-side headshot.  Paille didn't go down, he wasn't on Dizzy street, there was no contusion or bleeding from teh face.

It's hockey.  Play on.

Don't disagree Book, but your Paille description also fits for Grabovski.  Still, Ference gets 1-game.  Common sense would suggest that Phaneuf would also get a game for a similar play. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

Abdelkader hearing announced.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=669302&navid=nhl:topheads

Not sure if folks have seen this hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpBIFsbcy6Q

Somewhere in a Detroit poker room Sheldon Souray is smiling.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Good video San.  That shows Phaneuf's elbow contacting Paille in the chest first. 

Nothing doing here.

I suspect you should watch the video again NAS...that hit was shoulder to head!

If the NHL is trying to eliminate these type of hits from the game, as KP Dupont writes in the Globe today, the Phaneuf should be hit with some type of discipline. Wouldn't Paille have been deemed vulnerable not seeing the hit coming?

The Gryba hit on Eller had all the aspects of being clean...player with puck...shoulder check...does not leave his feet...yet he gets 2 games...Why? because Eller was deemed to be vulnerable and hit the ice face first causing all the damage.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Both hits got the head.

The Ference hit was sneaky. The Phaneuf hit was mean and nasty. Dion deserves 2 games IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I see it the elbow forearm riding up and that how it ended up on his chin/side of the head.

Should have been a penalty but I don't see it being a suspension.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It's hockey.  Play on.

Totally agree , both sides let them play hockey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hendy77. Show hendy77's posts

Head shot, but not worthy of suspension. I'm with PerrySound...much rather have Celine on the ice. She's still very slow and gives the puck away with regularity.

Plus, she's always good for taking dumber penalties at critical times.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

I see it the elbow forearm riding up and that how it ended up on his chin/side of the head.

Not trying to be combative, but isn't that a headshot?  What would your opinion be if Paille got knocked out?  Penalty, no suspension? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

The point of contact has everything to do with how he got there, he raises up almost feet off the ice and the truth is paille the hockey player he is, didnt go down, fake an injury or dive, meaning no harm no fowl, its all bs to me because ferences suspension ( in defense of)  seems he embraced him self for a collision that didnt happen, in that example. mr softie didnt want to collide with ference therefore avoiding a hit, common sense, if that had of been orr there would of been a collision and ference on the bad end of it.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Not trying to be combative, but isn't that a headshot?  What would your opinion be if Paille got knocked out?  Penalty, no suspension? 

sorry Crowls I had stepped out.  To me it looked like Phaneuf initial contact hit Paille high, around the shoulder and then it rode up to his head. That should not be suspendable.  It deserved a roughing penalty.

Now if it were a straight shot to the head and Paille gets knocked out then it should be a suspension.   Difference is I don't think the initial contact was the head.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's hockey.  Play on.

Don't disagree Book, but your Paille description also fits for Grabovski.  Still, Ference gets 1-game.  Common sense would suggest that Phaneuf would also get a game for a similar play.  

No, Grabovski went down like he was shot, and he had a line of blood down the bridge of his nose.  Good for Paille for shaking the hit off, but it also does suggest that he wasn't jacked directly to the head.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

It's hockey.  Play on.

But Paile was bleeding.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It wouldn't make any difference if it was a cheapshot or a headshot or if he used a gun! Shanahan is anti-Boston and always has been. The only thing you can hope for as a Bruins fan is that Rask actually remembers he's supposed to stop the puck from getting behind him. I ain't going to waste my time waiting for even handed refereeing in any game where a Boston team is playing Bruins,Sox,Celtics and Patriots have been given the shaft so often they could charge the refs or umps with criminal assault/Rape charges and a judge night actually hear the case.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

It's hockey.  Play on.

No, Grabovski went down like he was shot, and he had a line of blood down the bridge of his nose.  Good for Paille for shaking the hit off, but it also does suggest that he wasn't jacked directly to the head.

Paille was cut.  Also Paille was on a solid base, where Grabovski was leaning out of the play trying to avoid contact.  None of that should matter.  New NHL says head can't be principle point of contact.

Are you really suggesting that its not a headshot because Paille "shook it off"?  Thought we had all evolved beyond that point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

sorry Crowls I had stepped out.  To me it looked like Phaneuf initial contact hit Paille high, around the shoulder and then it rode up to his head. That should not be suspendable.  It deserved a roughing penalty.

Now if it were a straight shot to the head and Paille gets knocked out then it should be a suspension.   Difference is I don't think the initial contact was the head.

Thanks for the response Legion and can understand that perspective.  It's close between head and shoulder on this one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

Watch it here

I'm not sure.  Maybe a headshot.  Doesn't look like an elbow as much as a shoulder, but maybe a shoulder to the head?

I wonder if anything will come of it.  I'm 50/50 on it.

You?

I've looked at it over and over...looks like a shoulder that was finished off with a high elbow...shoulder to shoulder??? tough to say...but that elbow was a cheap one...aimed at the skull and got him. Gotta be a penalty...reviewable, yup, for sure...suspendable, no way.
    Go B's

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

A head shot is a hit that starts at the head.  Think of Savard (or Ference's more recently).  Phaneuf's body contact starts in the chest area and then continues upwards. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's hockey.  Play on.

Paille was cut.  Also Paille was on a solid base, where Grabovski was leaning out of the play trying to avoid contact.  None of that should matter.  New NHL says head can't be principle point of contact.

Are you really suggesting that its not a headshot because Paille "shook it off"?  Thought we had all evolved beyond that point.

I didn't see blood on Paille.  Not saying it wasn't there, just that I missed that detail.  At any rate, my point was not that it wasn't a head shot (I can't tell from the replays I've seen if it's a direct shot to the head or an indirect one, but that the focus of NHL discipline has shifted to a focus on the result and not the act.  In this case, Paille doesn't show much in the way of damage from the hit, and the consequece of the hit wasn't what we're used to seeing fro a direct shot to the head.  So - I'm saying it wasn't called a headshot because Paille shook it off.  The way they're calling these things, in the absence of clear evidence, they look at the result, and Paille is being penalized here for being tough enough to take that shot and keep ticking.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

A head shot is a hit that starts at the head.  Think of Savard (or Ference's more recently).  Phaneuf's body contact starts in the chest area and then continues upwards. 

Thanks for helping me with the definition of headshot, I was really struggling with that.

That's not what I see when I watch the video (multiple times).  It's close, but it still looks like a headshot to me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Thanks for helping me with the definition of headshot, I was really struggling with that.

That's not what I see when I watch the video (multiple times).  It's close, but it still looks like a headshot to me.

BsL:

You:

isn't that a headshot?

Me (trying to be helpful):

You (being a dick for no reason):

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

FWIW, Kerry Fraser talked about this hit in his column today:

Toronto-Boston: Dion Phaneuf hit on Daniel Paille; As Dion stepped up to execute a straight-up open-ice hit on Paille a the center red line, Daniel lowered his posture (head) slightly as he received the puck which contributed to some contact to his head by Phaneuf's shoulder. The illegal part of check was when Phaneuf left his feet to make the check resulting in a missed charging infraction.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=422539

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

BsL:

You:

isn't that a headshot?

Me (trying to be helpful):

You (being a dick for no reason):

That's a little aggressive?

Took your comment to be more patronizing than helpful.  Apologies that I got that wrong.