Phil Kessel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Re: Phil Kessel

I'm a big Kessel fan, but it amazes me that someone that has not been able to crack 40 goals in a season, can command that type of money/term.

He was still wearing black & gold, when he scored his 2nd highest yearly goal total (36), so I don't see him suddenly turning into a 50 goal guy.

Also, I would be very worried, if I was a Leafs' fan, about the last 4 years of this deal. A player with his lack of dedication to fitness, could really struggle with injuries, and on-ice performance, as he gets into his thirties.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:

I'm a big Kessel fan, but it amazes me that someone that has not been able to crack 40 goals in a season, can command that type of money/term.

He was still wearing black & gold, when he scored his 2nd highest yearly goal total (36), so I don't see him suddenly turning into a 50 goal guy.

Also, I would be very worried, if I was a Leafs' fan, about the last 4 years of this deal. A player with his lack of dedication to fitness, could really struggle with injuries, and on-ice performance, as he gets into his thirties.

by then the cap will probably be 90 million and this deal won't seem like such a big deal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

biggskye, after seeing what they gave Clarkson, i'm not surprised....

brace yourself for Phaneuf's deal....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

$8M for a guy the coach won't let on the ice when protecting a lead late in the game? Seriously?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

just finished watching Kessel's press conference....

looked like the pressure of living up to his new deal was already getting to him, sweating and itching nonstop....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

Maybe just a bed bug problem?

That ad is really starting to get to me.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

by then the cap will probably be 90 million and this deal won't seem like such a big deal. 

I agree with you. However, it can be tricky to predict what the salary cap will look like, 5 or 6 years down the road.

For instance, if the Canadian dollar took a nosedive back down to the .70 cents/US levels again, the cap could be as low as 50M.

As pointed out on this board many times, these long term deals are totally irresponsible for the gm's and owners, to be agreeing to, and the fans keep paying for them, with lockouts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

looked like the pressure of living up to his new deal was already getting to him, sweating and itching nonstop....

This is what Phil is like without a stick in his hand and can't wack a puck or the back of a pant leg LoL

As far as Phil the hockey player, can't wait to watch him against the smurfs tonight! Kessel is always exciting to watch play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Here come the "overpaid" posts.

You need goals to win.  The more goals a player can score, the more valuable he is.  Kessel is 7th overall (119 goals) since being traded.

The money is reasonable.  The length (as usual) is absurd.

Define "win" - in the playoffs or regular season?

Looking over the last few cup winners in Boston, Chicago and LA, their approach is a much more balanced handling of their salary cap.  It seems the teams with the big contracts haven't had that much playoff success recently, like the teams that have Ovechkin and Crosby.

Blackhawks:

Updated: July 2, 2009, 1:24 AM ET By Pierre LeBrun | ESPN.com

The Chicago Blackhawks have signed star winger Marian Hossa to a 12-year deal.

The deal is worth $62.8 million over the life of the contract -- an average of $5.233 million a year.

---

Kings: 

Carter and the Flyers agreed to an 11-year, $58 million contract extension, a source confirmed to ESPN.com

---

Boston:

BOSTON (AP) — The Boston Bruins entered the NHL's free-agent signing period on Saturday with single-minded determination to land what the team considered the best defenseman on the market.

Once Zdeno Chara agreed to a five-year, $37.5 million contract, the Bruins quickly added one of the top free agent forwards available in center Marc Savard, who inked a four-year, $20 million deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Too much and too long. At least we know that Tranna won't be contending anytime in the near future.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

just finished watching Kessel's press conference....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

I think that is just how he is in public. He's a strange cat, but he can score.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

The money is definitely not reasonable. Way too much for a 2nd tier player at best. He is not in the same class as Crosby, Malkin or Towes ect. ect.  This is just lunacy !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Blackhawks:

Updated: July 2, 2009, 1:24 AM ET By Pierre LeBrun | ESPN.com

The Chicago Blackhawks have signed star winger Marian Hossa to a 12-year deal.

The deal is worth $62.8 million over the life of the contract -- an average of $5.233 million a year.

---

Kings: 

Carter and the Flyers agreed to an 11-year, $58 million contract extension, a source confirmed to ESPN.com

---

Boston:

BOSTON (AP) — The Boston Bruins entered the NHL's free-agent signing period on Saturday with single-minded determination to land what the team considered the best defenseman on the market.

Once Zdeno Chara agreed to a five-year, $37.5 million contract, the Bruins quickly added one of the top free agent forwards available in center Marc Savard, who inked a four-year, $20 million deal.

?????

I said "more balanced"

None of those contracts are 8 mil a year

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I said "more balanced"

None of those contracts are 8 mil a year

And every player mentioned is/was better than Kessel.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

For those of you talking about how Kessel really isn't that good of a player, he doesn't put up elite numbers, blah blah blah. He doesn't have Getzlaf (Perry). He doesn't have St. Louis (Stamkos). He doesn't even have Wayne Simmons or Voracek. He's got Kadri and an underachieving JVR.

By the way, I just saw him out on the ice with a one goal lead with a minute left. Nice try.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

For those of you talking about how Kessel really isn't that good of a player, he doesn't put up elite numbers, blah blah blah. He doesn't have Getzlaf (Perry). He doesn't have St. Louis (Stamkos). He doesn't even have Wayne Simmons or Voracek. He's got Kadri and an underachieving JVR.

By the way, I just saw him out on the ice with a one goal lead with a minute left. Nice try.

To me, he's not in the top 25 in the world and he's now being paid "elite" money. Please don't ask me start naming players because I'm too lazy right now. Look, I don't think he's a bad player at all. Frankly I think it's shocking he hasn't scored 40 yet because he's certainly got the skill set to score 50. I question his dedication to winning and to becoming the best player he can be. Maybe he'll change. I'm still pleased with all Boston got for him though. I wouldn't trade Eriksson straight up for him. Not a chance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Is matt moulson worth 7m a year.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

fwiw - Grabo has 2 goals so far tonight for the Caps, Leafs give up on him a little too early.

Kessel is fast, he's got a great snap shot, he scores goals, he's learned a lot playmaking (which I didn't think he would ever be capable of).

Fine.

There's a lot more to hockey than just those things.  And it seems to that a lot of people who like Kessel refuse to aknowledge that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to TheGuyWithDaThing's comment:

To me, he's not in the top 25 in the world and he's now being paid "elite" money. Please don't ask me start naming players because I'm too lazy right now. Look, I don't think he's a bad player at all. Frankly I think it's shocking he hasn't scored 40 yet because he's certainly got the skill set to score 50. I question his dedication to winning and to becoming the best player he can be. Maybe he'll change. I'm still pleased with all Boston got for him though. I wouldn't trade Eriksson straight up for him. Not a chance.

I think you like Eriksson the way George loved Tony on Seinfeld

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

fwiw - Grabo has 2 goals so far tonight for the Caps, Leafs give up on him a little too early.

Kessel is fast, he's got a great snap shot, he scores goals, he's learned a lot playmaking (which I didn't think he would ever be capable of).

Fine.

There's a lot more to hockey than just those things.  And it seems to that a lot of people who like Kessel refuse to aknowledge that.

Grabo is an absolute steal for the Caps.  Watch Wilson and Latta.  Sand paper they so badly need. They are gonna be solid this year.  My final four is caps vs bruins.  Blues vs kings.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

You have the Caps winning every year. When are you moving to the Beltway ?

"Whoa the Caps, the Caps! Chimera Rock the Red...Whoa!"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Its my 2nd team.  I like what they have there.  I dont think i ever said the caps were gonna win.  wilson is one of my new favorites as is latta.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha77. Show tremha77's posts

In his history with the maple leafs, he is a cumulative -35.  Aren't your best players supposed to be positive contributors on the ice?

I would pay him $8mm to stay home.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Its my 2nd team.  I like what they have there.  I dont think i ever said the caps were gonna win.  wilson is one of my new favorites as is latta.  

What about Ottowa?  How was your trip to Boston shupe?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Last night was so Kessel.

Looked fast and dangerous to me.  5 shots on net, had an assist, and was an offensive threat.  Point per game pace.

Also completely blew the coverage on a Montreal goal and finished minus-2.

And there is the Kessel debate.  I don't know if Toronto overpaid or not.  But I can say with complete honesty that I am very grateful the Bruins aren't spending that kind of money on that guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

shupe, I'm headed to Denver vs. New Brunswick game on Sunday.  Couldn't even pick their uniform out of a lineup.  Any scouting report that will make the game more interesting?

Sections
Shortcuts