Phil Kessel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Phil Kessel

Just read on twitter his new contract will be announced later today.

8 years at 8 million per.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Phil Kessel

So the only higher paid players in the NHL will be Crosby and Malkin?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

looks that way BadHab

heres a link to a tsn article. says it will be officially announced today.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433171

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

... and Ovechkin, Perry, E. Staal, Giroux, and Getzlaf - if you are going by cap hit.

By salary, potentially many more or fewer, depending on how his deal is structured.  Probably more. 

-- Proud user of Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

... and Ovechkin, Perry, E. Staal, and Getzlaf - if you are going by cap hit.

By salary, potentially many more or fewer, depending on how his deal is structured.  Probably more. 

I think under the new CBA teams cant do crazy front loaded contracts anymore.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Which is why he'll drop down to about 12th in actual salary.  I'm not sure that's meaningful in any kind of way, I just wanted to cover all bases in case that's what Badhab meant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Good for Phat Phil. He stepped it up in the playoffs and if that's the player they get going forward then it's not a bad deal for the team. If I'm the GM I worry that with the security of a long-term deal taking him through his prime that the lazy PK shows up more often than 2013 playoff Phil.

BTW...it sounds like there are bonuses in his deal so his AAV may be somewhat less than 8m. If it is 8m/year then that's too much for a mostly one dimensional player who will never embrace any aspect of the game that doesn't include having the puck on his stick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Tuukka is underpaid....

“People think common sense is common - but it's not.”

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

i hate long term deals.  Great new cba   8 million should be for very few superstars.  I dont class kessel as a superstar.  He constantly scores and has speed.  Is he that much better then matt moulson?   

im glad we lost most of last year bc of the cba. Great job.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to days-of-Orr's comment:

Tuukka is underpaid....

Dont get me started.  :-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

but teams will continue to spend foolishly....

the only thing the new cba did was make the eight-year deal the norm....

as for Kessel, they just took away his motivation for the next eight years....

47 yrs and counting....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

why isn't Marco here screamng and yelling that this proves he was right about Kessel?

It's been almost 2 hours, he must be in the hospital or at a funeral or something.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

[QUOTE]

but teams will continue to spend foolishly....

the only thing the new cba did was make the eight-year deal the norm....

as for Kessel, they just took away his motivation for the next eight years....

47 yrs and counting....

[/QUOTE]

They will continue to until there is another lockout.  Anything over 3-5 years to me is silly. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Miller was right the lockout meant nothing and did nothing. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Tuukka is underpaid....

Dont get me started.  :-)

i thought i could sneak that one past you....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

Wow overpaid. If he was a two way player like Crosby, Staal, Giroux and Getzlaf maybe he should get this money. He hasn't even broken a 100 points once like these other guys. I am not saying Kessel isn't worth keeping but 8 mill for fatty Mcfatsalot is tooo much.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Miller was right the lockout meant nothing and did nothing. 

Lets just get it over with and start a countdown to the next lockout.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Here come the "overpaid" posts.

You need goals to win.  The more goals a player can score, the more valuable he is.  Kessel is 7th overall (119 goals) since being traded.

The money is reasonable.  The length (as usual) is absurd.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

You need goals to win.  The more goals a player can score, the more valuable he is.  Kessel is 7th overall (119 goals) since being traded.

Thats what kills me. I know offensive players cost money. I know goals cost money.

I just hate longterm contracts. 

New NHL slogan

"NHL: Come watch hockey for a few years and then expect another lockout"

Too clunky on the wording? How about this

"NHL: We work Lockout to Lockout."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Define "win" - in the playoffs or regular season?

Looking over the last few cup winners in Boston, Chicago and LA, their approach is a much more balanced handling of their salary cap.  It seems the teams with the big contracts haven't had that much playoff success recently, like the teams that have Ovechkin and Crosby.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

RkAge NamePos GP G A P PIM +/- PPG SHG GWG G/GP A/GP P/GP 1 1990 CA Steven Stamkos F 212 134 111 245 172 6 39 0 22 0.632 0.524 1.156 2 1985 CA Corey Perry F 206 102 92 194 303 12 33 5 22 0.495 0.447 0.942 3 1985 RU Alexander Ovechkin F 205 102 104 206 103 18 36 0 18 0.498 0.507 1.005 4 1987 US Phil Kessel F 212 89 109 198 62 -33 28 1 16 0.420 0.514 0.934 5 1977 CA Jarome Iginla F 208 89 97 186 114 -15 28 0 14 0.428 0.466 0.894 6 1990 CA John Tavares F 209 88 107 195 97 -24 25 0 17 0.421 0.512 0.933 7 1979 CA Patrick Marleau F 212 84 84 168 66 5 27 3 20 0.396 0.396 0.792 8 1989 CA Logan Couture F 207 84 74 158 61 27 28 2 18 0.406 0.357 0.763 9 1988 CA Jonathan Toews F 186 84 97 181 81 70 17 4 17 0.452 0.522 0.973 10 1984 CA Rick Nash F 201 83 84 167 100 -1 15 3 12 0.413 0.418 0.831 11 1980 SE Daniel Sedin F 201 83 128 211 90 56 31 0 19 0.413 0.637 1.050 12 1987 CA James Neal F 199 83 79 162 179 18 32 0 13 0.417 0.397 0.814 13 1985 CA Jeff Carter F 183 83 50 133 71 15 26 0 17 0.454 0.273 0.727

Thats an interesting look at the Top 10 goal scorers of the last 3 years. Kessell is up there with some really great company. I hate the guys pouty one-way game but... I don't know I still hate his game. lol
    Lets GO BRUINS!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What exactly did you expect the lockout to do?  Shrink player salaries so we could go back to $20 tickets and $6 beer?  How much do you think Kessel would have gotten if the Cap was $84M instead of $64M?  I'm guessing his AAV would be $10M, but wait, this is still the old system, so it's probably a 15 year, $130M deal: 10 years at $12M per, plus 5 at $2M per because, you know, a speed guy likely doesn't have those wheels after 35.  If you don't believe that, look at Parise and Suter.  Parise banks $62M over six years and it would have been more, but he wanted the Wild to sign his buddy Suter, too.  Weber's deal is $80M over the first six years, with $68 of it in signing bonuses.  All of these deals back-dive keeping the AAV under what Kessel will carry with this deal.

That's a lot of impact from the lockout.  Stars will still get their cash, and Kessel is the best offensive player on the Leafs and a top ten scorer the last couple of years - whatever else marco has said about Kessel, Phil has backed him up on the top ten scorer thing (he wouldn't be if he was still in Boston, but that's another story).  He would get Parise money or better, and it would be pro-rated to the $80M+ Cap.  So $130M with $70M in signing bonuses isn't a huge stretch.  $100M almost certainly.

So the Leafs are now committed to about half what they would have had to commit to keep Kessel under the old system, the deal is about half the length, and the AAV of the deal is the full $8M per, so it's harder to carry on the cap than either Parise or Weber.  That means the cap is doing a better job of keeping overall spending within the parameters the league thinks it can afford.  And it presents signficant challenges for the Leafs who have to re-sign Reimer at the end of the year or let him walk, and Bernier the next.  Phaneuf's a UFA this year, as is Mark Fraser, and Franson and Gardiner are RFAs - that's 4 of their 5 top D.  They still don't have a #1C, and if it works out that Kadri can be the guy, he's on a two year deal and will be looking for a raise a year after Phil's raise kicks in.  Bolland's up next year as are Kulemin, McClement and Raymond. A decent year from all three will be important if the Laffs want to make the playoffs, and will likely make them too expensive to retain.

If the league could simply impose it's will, sure, the contracts would be perfect. But they can't. 

Are you not entertained?!?!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Do PP goals count?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

He still only plays half the ice, but he does that very well. I happen to hate all long term contracts, whether they are Bruins or not.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

just finished watching Kessel's press conference....

looked like the pressure of living up to his new deal was already getting to him, sweating and itching nonstop....

Sections
Shortcuts