Phil Kessel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Phil Kessel

I doubt the Seguin feud will be worse.  Apart from a general feeling that the game has changed since the 1960s and 70s when the Bruins were almost as good on off nights as game nights, and good time charlie has had his day (to say nothing of his teammates' wives...), I don't think people dislike Seguin the way they did Kessel.  There were similar debates - they both avoid hits like hipsters in the record store - but the main difference was the futile rushes Kessel had been making for years and his tendency to waste possessions by taking long, lame shots.  Seguin started to do it last year, but it wasn't his trademark the way it was with Kessel for years.  He wanted to do it all himself.  Drove me nuts.  I was glad to see him go.  Still am.

Are you not entertained?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to biggskye's comment:

I said and maintained that i would be very surprised to see kessel go and some here came with the utmost convcition saying he's gone and will not sign in toronto and he's off to Minn- dumbies guy is from madison plays for the gophers and he's a shoe in to sign with the Wild-

get outta here, get lost!

I was one of the first to come up with the idea that there was a chance that he could be thinking of not re-signing with Toronto, because of him stating that he would not negotiate a contract, once the season started.

I also mentioned that Minny would be my guess, as to where he might end up, because the Wild had just signed Suter & Parise to big money, so they seemed to covet players that were born in that area. They would also have the needed cap space with the departure of Heatley, who just happens to play the same position as Kessel.

I would not call that "utmost conviction" or a "shoe-in". I was simply offering my opinion. That's what we do here. I am wrong much more often than I am right, but the odd time that I actually guess right about something (I'm sure it's happened, I just can't think of one, right now), I would not come on here, bragging about it and calling other people, "dumbies".

That is something children do.

[/QUOTE]

Big some did say it with conviction and called me a fool when I said why minn? You see yo didbt receive those comments I did so hard to be nice and evem harder  not to come back with the "I told you so" attitude when ppl talk trash

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to marco0863's comment:

As far as weak - I thik he may be one whose (strictly a projection) numbers drop down drastically once he loses a step. As far as weaknesses well he can score 45 instead of over 30. I don't expect kessel to be a banger this is not his game and niether was is it for selanne, lafleur back in the day, gretzky, naslund etc...  Basically his pros far outweigh his cons - btw almost every player has a flaw

Yes, every player has flaws.

"not a banger" is his only weakness?  What about his defensive game?  Is his defensive game as good as let's say - Seguin?  Or is it better?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

As far as weak - I thik he may be one whose (strictly a projection) numbers drop down drastically once he loses a step. As far as weaknesses well he can score 45 instead of over 30. I don't expect kessel to be a banger this is not his game and niether was is it for selanne, lafleur back in the day, gretzky, naslund etc...  Basically his pros far outweigh his cons - btw almost every player has a flaw

"not a banger" is his only weakness?  What about his defensive game?  Is his defensive game as good as let's say - Seguin?  Or is it better?

As I said his pros outweigh his cons .He's a gamer - I like seguin actually think he may become a star but sure would have liked having kessel last yr in playoffs instead of seguin.

Look toronto isn't a cup contender yet  but theyrenot that far and if they ever do win cup pk will win conn smythe

Or will be runner up to the goali whoever thst might be.

Its quite simple if u dislike him you will focus on himlike a microscope in detecting his mistakes

He's an outstanding player and I sure miss him in boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I doubt the Seguin feud will be worse.  Apart from a general feeling that the game has changed since the 1960s and 70s when the Bruins were almost as good on off nights as game nights, and good time charlie has had his day (to say nothing of his teammates' wives...), I don't think people dislike Seguin the way they did Kessel.  There were similar debates - they both avoid hits like hipsters in the record store - but the main difference was the futile rushes Kessel had been making for years and his tendency to waste possessions by taking long, lame shots.  Seguin started to do it last year, but it wasn't his trademark the way it was with Kessel for years.  He wanted to do it all himself.  Drove me nuts.  I was glad to see him go.  Still am.

I said feud because if seguin becomes a franchise player in dallas you will be hard pressed to find someone who won't rub it in chia face for yrs to come a la harry neale

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm sure Chiapete won't be able to hear them with his Cup rings in his ears. 

Seguin may or may not become what we hoped he'd be in Boston - a high-impact player and not just a scorer - but I'd contend that Eriksson and Smith make the Bruins better at two positions this year than they were last year, and the cash left over exchanging Seguin and Peverley for them is basically the guaranteed money Iginla will receive, so overall....I don't care if what Seguin does.  For years...decades...I've listened to "fans" rip Bruins management for not doing "what it takes" to win the Cup.  This deal?  It's a deal you make to win the Cup this year.

If it cacks out and Eriksson, Smith, Fraser and Morrow prove to be Leeman, Godynyuk, Berube, Petit and Reese, then yes, people will have reason to criticize the move.  So be it.  That's hockey.

And I'm still happy Kessel's not a Bruin.  No way both he and Horton would have been on the same team, and we all know what Horton did for the Bruins in the playoffs.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

I seriously wonder about the Bruins fans here constantly talking about a Leaf. waddafcuk. You are all like a bunch of jilted boyfriends.  "Come back Phil, comeback"  Cry                

Man I hate when people say stupid stuff like this.  There will always be an interest in what Kessel is doing considering his history with the team.

What kind of dope clicks on a "Kessel" thread to complain about Kessel conversation?

^  That kind!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

As I said his pros outweigh his cons .He's a gamer - I like seguin actually think he may become a star but sure would have liked having kessel last yr in playoffs instead of seguin.

Look toronto isn't a cup contender yet  but theyrenot that far and if they ever do win cup pk will win conn smythe

Or will be runner up to the goali whoever thst might be.

Its quite simple if u dislike him you will focus on himlike a microscope in detecting his mistakes

He's an outstanding player and I sure miss him in boston.

a gamer? he's a very good offensive player, and can score in the clutch, but he is so far from a gamer it's silly. His compete level does not rise to the moment. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hey Marco,

I actually agree with you about the Sedins, but out of this list of forwards, which players would you say are worse than Kessel?

You said he was a top 10 in the league, so here are 12 players

Crosby  Ovechkin Malkin  Stamkos  Kane Toews Weber  Tavares Nash St. Louis Zetterberg Bergeron

Actually I think there are a number of forwards better than Kessel, but just out of this list, which ones would you remove and put in Kessel?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to perrysound's comment:

I seriously wonder about the Bruins fans here constantly talking about a Leaf. waddafcuk. You are all like a bunch of jilted boyfriends.  "Come back Phil, comeback"  Cry                

Man I hate when people say stupid stuff like this.  There will always be an interest in what Kessel is doing considering his history with the team.

What kind of dope clicks on a "Kessel" thread to complain about Kessel conversation?

^  That kind!

"Come back Phil, we miss you. Whatever you want, just love us again!!!"

What kind of Bruins' fan continues to pine for a guy that left 4 years ago?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to Sobchack's comment:

I think all of us hate long term deals.  The MLB is full of them, too, and there the busts are a dime a dozen.  But, the MLB has no salary cap, and big spenders like the Sox, the Dodgers, and the Yankees can absorb the wasted money.  

But, it's supply and demand.  As long as teams are going to lavish 8 years on someone, others follow suit.  Kessel is a Leaf.   Their employee.  Their problem. 

Welcome back.

Folks, I'm pretty sure this is ipot.

We won't know for sure until he loses his nut about something if that's the case.  Always fun when ipot flies off the handle.

Darn it!!!!  I give NAS props for finding me out. :-)

Never liked the "ipot" username anyway. It was a hasty acronym I concocted 6 years ago when I joined the boards.....

Nothing like flying off the handle when my Bs frustrate me.  What I love about being a fan.  Catharsis on BOTH ends of the spectrum.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Hey Marco,

I actually agree with you about the Sedins, but out of this list of forwards, which players would you say are worse than Kessel?

Crosby  Ovechkin Malkin  Stamkos  Kane Toews Weber  Tavares Nash St. Louis Zetterberg Bergeron

Actually I think there are a number of forwards better than Kessel, but just out of this list, which ones would you remove and put in Kessel?

As I mentioned compare t o other forwards. I would take him over zettrrberg ( up there in age) .over nash

Bergeron may not suit this list since he's the best all around player in the nhl snd I guess it wiukd depend on theteams needs. I am debating if I take him ovrr toews. Toees good player don't think hed have same impact if he was say in toronto as PK has obviously with same players.

Tavares is some player and he's younger so I'd take tavares

ON another note I think bruins may go very far again if carl soderberg makes an impact in playoffs. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Hey Marco,

As I mentioned compare t o other forwards. I would take him over zettrrberg ( up there in age) .over nash

Bergeron may not suit this list since he's the best all around player in the nhl snd I guess it wiukd depend on theteams needs. I am debating if I take him ovrr toews. Toees good player don't think hed have same impact if he was say in toronto as PK has obviously with same players.

ON another note I think bruins may go very far again if carl soderberg makes an impact in playoffs. 

So you think Bergeron is the best overall player in the NHL? Hmmm, but then you say Toews would not have an impact in Toronto. I think of all the forwards listed those two have the same similarities, right down to the intagibles. Thats kind of where you lose me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Toews is the closest thing to Messier in terms of Hulk like ability to get better as the moment gets bigger.  The more pressure he feels, the stronger he gets.  Head to head, I'd take him 1000 times out of 1000 over Kessel. 

Crosby, Tavares, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos - Kessel's not even in that conversation.  Zetterberg, Datsyuk are still better and more impactful players - so smart, so highly skilled, and play the full sheet.  St. Louis is also a better all around player who makes the guys he plays with better. Kessel vs. Bergeron isn't even close.  Build a team around Kessel and the conversation is all about what you have to get to fill the gaps - gotta have a playmaking C, gotta have size to create space for him, gotta have a solid D who can both backstop him when his rushes go awry and get the puck up to him quickly to capitalize on his speed, gotta have a good second line that can take some of the defensive pressure away....  Build a team around Bergeron and the conversation is about all the options open to you.  You can play the high pick with the great skill but steep pro learning curve on his wing to get max benefit out of him.  You can free up another line to be a pure offensive line because his line will get its points playing head to head against the opposition's best.  Give me Bergeron every day.

The two on that list who Kessel compares best to are Nash and Kane.  The Nash of the Olympics and some of the other best on best tourneys is a better player than the best I've ever seen of Kessel - that one would be close, but I'd probably go with Nash.  He is an actual 40 goal scorer, which Kessel has never been.  Kane, though - well, that's interesting.  Kessel scores over 30 every year, and his goals/game average over his career is a little higher.  Kane has only topped 30 once - twice if you count last year's 30 goal pace.  But Kane's highest point total of 88 is better than Kessel's 82, and, of course, Kane has those two rings.  In the playoffs, they're a dead wash, though Kane has a significantly larger body of work to show his clutch skills.

It's that kind of close where I wonder what happens if you flip them: put Kane in Toronto and Kessel in Chicago.  I think Kessel would either be just as good as Kane has been in Chicago or he'd be gone in short order because neither Quenneville nor Toews would put up with the sulking and the famous attitude toward the gym.  Kane probably does alright in Toronto, but I don't think he tops a point/game pace.  So - if I had to pick one of the two, it might be Kessel on the basis of him being slightly larger.  That's it.

Getlaf, Perry, Giroux, Eric Staal, Couture, Hall, Eberle, Hossa, Krejci (now as back then), Spezza - I'd take all of these guys ahead of both Kane and Kessel.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Better means better, being an all around better player means they are better.

And just this season, never mind age.  It is a list from this season.

For the most part, players in that list bring a little more to the game that goal scoring.  And that's the issue with Kessel, he only brings goal scoring and that's all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Getlaf, Perry, Giroux, Eric Staal, Couture, Hall, Eberle, Hossa, Krejci (now as back then), Spezza - I'd take all of these guys ahead of both Kane and Kessel.

Yes, you can slice and dice in different ways, but I find it hard to see how someone could put Kessel in the top 10 FORWARDS in the league, much less the top 10 PLAYERS.

A Conn Smythe trophy?  Before we go there, let's see him win more than one playoff round or score 40 goals first.

You can put him in the top 25  FORWARDS in the league, I don't see top 10.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Yes, you can slice and dice in different ways, but I find it hard to see how someone could put Kessel in the top 10 FORWARDS in the league, much less the top 10 PLAYERS.

A Conn Smythe trophy?  Before we go there, let's see him win more than one playoff round or score 40 goals first.

I take Patrick Kane over everyone on that list right now. I may listen about Giroux.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Hey Marco,

So you think Bergeron is the best overall player in the NHL? Hmmm, but then you say Toews would not have an impact in Toronto. I think of all the forwards listed those two have the same similarities, right down to the intagibles. Thats kind of where you lose me.

Given the type of team Toronto is not sure toews woud have that impact pk has. It depends what players are in 

Thst respective team

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

I can see how you can place him at top 25 . I place him higher then that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Toews is the closest thing to Messier in terms of Hulk like ability to get better as the moment gets bigger.  The more pressure he feels, the stronger he gets.  Head to head, I'd take him 1000 times out of 1000 over Kessel. 

Crosby, Tavares, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos - Kessel's not even in that conversation.  Zetterberg, Datsyuk are still better and more impactful players - so smart, so highly skilled, and play the full sheet.  St. Louis is also a better all around player who makes the guys he plays with better. Kessel vs. Bergeron isn't even close.  Build a team around Kessel and the conversation is all about what you have to get to fill the gaps - gotta have a playmaking C, gotta have size to create space for him, gotta have a solid D who can both backstop him when his rushes go awry and get the puck up to him quickly to capitalize on his speed, gotta have a good second line that can take some of the defensive pressure away....  Build a team around Bergeron and the conversation is about all the options open to you.  You can play the high pick with the great skill but steep pro learning curve on his wing to get max benefit out of him.  You can free up another line to be a pure offensive line because his line will get its points playing head to head against the opposition's best.  Give me Bergeron every day.

The two on that list who Kessel compares best to are Nash and Kane.  The Nash of the Olympics and some of the other best on best tourneys is a better player than the best I've ever seen of Kessel - that one would be close, but I'd probably go with Nash.  He is an actual 40 goal scorer, which Kessel has never been.  Kane, though - well, that's interesting.  Kessel scores over 30 every year, and his goals/game average over his career is a little higher.  Kane has only topped 30 once - twice if you count last year's 30 goal pace.  But Kane's highest point total of 88 is better than Kessel's 82, and, of course, Kane has those two rings.  In the playoffs, they're a dead wash, though Kane has a significantly larger body of work to show his clutch skills.

It's that kind of close where I wonder what happens if you flip them: put Kane in Toronto and Kessel in Chicago.  I think Kessel would either be just as good as Kane has been in Chicago or he'd be gone in short order because neither Quenneville nor Toews would put up with the sulking and the famous attitude toward the gym.  Kane probably does alright in Toronto, but I don't think he tops a point/game pace.  So - if I had to pick one of the two, it might be Kessel on the basis of him being slightly larger.  That's it.

Giroux - yes

Hall- definitely (I'm a huge fan)

eric staal love to see him in boston would not take him over kess he was awesome at start of his career but dropped.

And I'm also a huge kane fan he's  not as a natural gs as kess but he's a winner and big in playoffs. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I take Patrick Kane over everyone on that list right now. I may listen about Giroux.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.  Great skill, attacks the net which I like, but over all of those other guys?  Explain, or blame cocaine.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I said feud because if seguin becomes a franchise player in dallas you will be hard pressed to find someone who won't rub it in chia face for yrs to come a la harry neale 

Now you are a hypocrite and a liar. All you've done is put PC down, told everyone that the Kessel trade was lousy, insulted posters on here and you still fon't realize Seguin was traded because Boston already had better centers in Krejci and Bergeron.

Nobody gives a rats fat azz what Harry Neale thinks of the Bruins or Chiarelli except for Shab and Laffs fans. Chiarelli raked it on the Dallas and Toronto trades birdbrain. Having Eriksson, Smith, Hamilton and the prospects is better than having a one dimensional or alcoholic any day, ALL DAY.

Get your facts straight!

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts