Philly fans are p#ssed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Re: Philly fans are p#ssed

Philly trades a 30 and 40 goal scorer for 2 15 goal scorers and a few draft picks and expects to improve. I can understand trading Richards or Carter, but both. No ones even mentioned the fact that this promotes Briere to the position of #1 center, which almost guarantees his average point total drops now that teams will be targeting him.

Philly's gone from 1st in their division and 2nd in the conference to barely makings the playoffs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

And of course Philly fans are p#ssed. They live in Philly! Have you been there? It's a horrible place full of miserable people! :P

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Holmgren explains wild day of activity

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/flyers/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: Philly fans are p#ssed:
       Philly trades a 30 and 40 goal scorer for 2 15 goal scorers and a few draft picks and expects to improve. I can understand trading Richards or Carter, but both. No ones even mentioned the fact that this promotes Briere to the position of #1 center, which almost guarantees his average point total drops now that teams will be targeting him. Philly's gone from 1st in their division and 2nd in the conference to barely makings the playoffs.
    Posted by captainbergeron

To be fair, Carter only scored over 40 once. I think, down the line, he'll be a consistent 30-35 goal scorer, and nothing's wrong with that. He's not an overly great playmaking Centre, and he is best served by putting the puck in the net (kind of like Patty Marleau out in San Jose).

They essentially traded a 30 goal scorer, and a 30-35 goal scorer for 2 guys that will net you 15 a piece, maybe even 20 as their ceiling potential. They got Brayden Schenn, who I think can be, and will be, a future star. He was by far the best player at the WJC. I'd kill to have him on my team. The #8 pick, imo will be used on Zibs, the Sweedish Centre. Personally, I think he's the most overrated player among the top 10 prospects. I think he has "bust" written all over him. He's not a great finisher, but if he can improve on that, and continue to distribute the puck well, he could be a decent little player. He'll certainly have some good young targets on both wings-Schenn, JVR, Giroux, etc.

They are trying to lower their payroll, while adding scoring depth. They will have more depth with these players, and not be tied-up financially to bad contracts like they were with Richards and Carter. Will a majority of these 4 players be as talented as Carter and Richards? Most likely not. Quite possibly Schenn, but he probably will be the only one.

I have no problem with building quality scoring depth, all while cutting payroll/getting rid of bad contracts. However, I think Philly will still be a playoff contender. Will they be a legitimate contender to win the East? Most likely not. But, in the future, they could be pretty darn good. But, with PC and Cam calling the shots, I like our squad, and will put it up against anybody's for the next little while.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

I may have over exaggerated a little, but it is definitely a step backwards for at least the near future.

If Voracek and Simmonds don't pan out this will set them back more than 3 years. Seems like a high risk low reward situation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

How does this help Philly? What a mess....

Advantage: Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I may have over exaggerated a little, but it is definitely a step backwards for at least the near future.     If Voracek and Simmonds don't pan out this will set them back more than 3 years. Seems like a high risk low reward situation.
    Posted by captainbergeron

Agree completely. 
    I think Voracek, if he can put the puck in the net more, can be a hidden gem-to a degree. He's a real good passer, especially for a guy on the wing. Simmonds, imo, is not a difference maker.

In the near future, as in next year or two, Philly will certainly see some ups and downs. I like our squad better, though. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Philly fans are p#ssed : Defense wins Cups.  The Philly defense has been great for years.  They've been a goaltending laughingstock since Pelle and the concrete barrier met.  I don't know how Bryz will do in Philly or in the East in general, but I do know he'll be much better than the recent revolving door of AHL goalies. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You're correct on the defense but you lose 2 top centers.  Not easy to replace.
    They've weakened themselves considerably down the middle.

P.S. Bryzgalov is not the answer. The guy is a headcase.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

My goodness, this was shocking!

The Carter to CBJ for the #8 and prospects had been rumored for awhile, but shipping Richards to LA?  Yikes, I would be bananas if I was a Philly fan.

I understand that they needed a goalie, but sending both Carter and Richards for prospects (even fantastic ones) to accommodate Ilya Bryzgalov?  And pay him 51 million over 9 years?  I think that they could have done better.

Someone mentioned Brad Richards and I don't think that they have the cap space (they still have to sign some UFAs and RFAs), unless they sign him to a 10 year deal (to reduce the per annum cap hit).

I wonder if the B's would have traded the #9, #81 and Philly's choice of Ryan Spooner/Jared Knight/Jordan Caron for Carter.... I say that the B's would have been happy to make that deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

I don't know what to make of it, but Philly unloaded two very long contracts (but added one in Bryz) and picked up the best prospect in hockey. I like Simmons as well and they picked up the 8th pick in this years draft just to screw us. I live close to Philly and the word has been that Richards was a real pain. In the long term it helps the Flyers, in the short term, we'll see.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

So does anyone have a link for where/when Bryzgalov signed?

Isn't free agency after July 1?

How can they be so sure Bryzgalov will happen for them?

What am I missing?

IMO this isn't a good deal for Philly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3a3cd6ab04-2ea5-4c74-9194-3f52c7347141&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion:3cd6ab04-2ea5-4c74-9194-3f52c7347141Post:dc8ce7ee-6cbe-4b59-827b-c082da488c70">Re: Philly fans are p#ssed:
    So does anyone have a link for where/when Bryzgalov signed? Isn't free agency after July 1? How can they be so sure Bryzgalov will happen for them? What am I missing? IMO this isn't a good deal for Philly.
    Posted by BadHabitude

9 years, 51 million:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6697758

Bryzgalov's rights were traded to Philly on 06/07 and they have been trying to work out a contract ever since:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=565167

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I don't know what to make of it, but Philly unloaded two very long contracts (but added one in Bryz) and picked up the best prospect in hockey. I like Simmons as well and they picked up the 8th pick in this years draft just to screw us. I live close to Philly and the word has been that Richards was a real pain. In the long term it helps the Flyers, in the short term, we'll see.
    Posted by mxt

Who are you referring to as the "best prospect in hockey"?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Isn't free agency after July 1?

BadHab, Teams can negotiate with their own UFAs exclusively until July 1st then it's open market at 12:01AM..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Philly fans are p#ssed : Who are you referring to as the "best prospect in hockey"?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I'd say Braydon Schenn is the best prospect, who do you have? Not being argumentive here, seriously wondering.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Philly fans are p#ssed : I'd say Braydon Schenn is the best prospect, who do you have? Not being argumentive here, seriously wondering.
    Posted by kelvana33

That's what they say over at HF, but I'm not entirely sure.  I can't wait to see what Nino does.  I also wasn't be combative.  It's all opinion on this one!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Thanks, I totally missed that deal.

Betting the bank on Bryz?

And this idea of paying a goalie a billion dollars for the next 50 years, haven't a couple of teams tried that already?  As I recall it didn't work out so well. 

I know this much, Tyler beat him like a rented mule on practically his first nhl shot or certainly first nhl breakaway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Philly fans are p#ssed : I'd say Braydon Schenn is the best prospect, who do you have? Not being argumentive here, seriously wondering.
    Posted by kelvana33

IMO don't think B Schenn will be better and more valueable than Richards or Carter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Thanks, I totally missed that deal.

Betting the bank on Bryz?

And this idea of paying a goalie a billion dollars for the next 50 years, haven't a couple of teams tried that already?  As I recall it didn't work out so well. 

I know this much, Tyler beat him like a rented mule on practically his first nhl shot or certainly first nhl breakaway.

Happy to help.

Not only did they pay him that ridiculous contract, but they busted up a Stanley Cup Finals team (12 months prior) to accommodate his salary. I don't see The Cup in their future.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Thanks, I totally missed that deal. Betting the bank on Bryz? And this idea of paying a goalie a billion dollars for the next 50 years, haven't a couple of teams tried that already?  As I recall it didn't work out so well.  I know this much, Tyler beat him like a rented mule on practically his first nhl shot or certainly first nhl breakaway. Happy to help. Not only did they pay him that ridiculous contract, but they busted up a Stanley Cup Finals team (12 months prior) to accommodate his salary. I don't see The Cup in their future.
    Posted by Bigpapa1977

I agree and time will tell, but if I had to place a bet I think this isn't a good one. 

It would be interesting to look at last year and just do raw numbers on the number of goals given away with those players vs. the number of goals they would save with Bryz.  And add the goals the new guys would provide.  I would guess it would be a break even at best.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Philly fans are p#ssed : You want a 31 year old Ilya for 9 yrs but don't want a 40 goal scoring center who is 27?  I can argue Philly won the Richards deal.  But they got hosed in the Carter deal.  Philly sure is exciting though.  They always steal the show with this stuff.  The Kings are gonna be very good.  Brown and Richards on the same line.  Wow.   
    Posted by shuperman

Uggggg....trading Mike Richards......l'm a Bruins fan through and through ....and I  feel sorry for my buds who are Flyer fans......there goes your heart and soul.......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

...didnt luongo once have a ridiculous deal on the isle???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

...didnt luongo once have a ridiculous deal on the isle???
    Posted by 86redsox

That's what I was referring to, his deal and DiPietro's, too.

Look at TT, that's about the longest term you want to do because you can get years like last year where he's hurt, or like DiPietro has been hurt.

Hurt yet still playing is the worst, where he doesn't go out on ltir

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

The vibe down in Philly is split down the middle.  The fans who like the deal are glad to see Richards gone because of his poor leadership qualities and think trading him was the easiest and only way to pull the "C'" from him.  As for Carter, many felt he consistently disappeared during the playoffs and was a defensive liability.  Gotta give Holmgren credit, he's got huge stones.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In Response to Re: Philly fans are p#ssed : Who are you referring to as the "best prospect in hockey"?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Alot of people are calling B Schenn one of the best prospects in Hockey.  Holmgren called him one of the best players outside of the NHL.

Sections
Shortcuts