Phoenix Coyotes thread number 753

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Phoenix Coyotes thread number 753

OK, since there's not much hockey talk going on at the moment thought I'd do the quarterly soap opera update.

There's a Glendale council vote on the 25th - simply put if Glendale doesn't go for the deal, $15 million a year from the City to the Yotes new owners, there's a second deal in place ton sell the club for $220 million, which would relocate them to Seattle.

They'd play in the Key Arena until a new arena is done.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/phoenix-coyotes-moving-seattle-roenick-reportedly-part-plan-143114434.html

But that's not all - Shoalts is reporting there's yet another "mystery" buyer who wants to keep them in Glendale )Where have I heard that before?)

As for the Seattle group, it would be headed by Ray Bartoszek, Anthony Lanza and... Jeremy Roenick.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Phoenix Coyotes thread number 753

In response to red75's comment:

OK, since there's not much hockey talk going on at the moment thought I'd do the quarterly soap opera update.

There's a Glendale council vote on the 25th - simply put if Glendale doesn't go for the deal, $15 million a year from the City to the Yotes new owners, there's a second deal in place ton sell the club for $220 million, which would relocate them to Seattle.

They'd play in the Key Arena until a new arena is done.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/phoenix-coyotes-moving-seattle-roenick-reportedly-part-plan-143114434.html

But that's not all - Shoalts is reporting there's yet another "mystery" buyer who wants to keep them in Glendale )Where have I heard that before?)

As for the Seattle group, it would be headed by Ray Bartoszek, Anthony Lanza and... Jeremy Roenick.

Hoping the whack-job, "Barry Goldwaters" have their way in that upside down state!

Just get the Yotes up to Washington State yesterday already.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I'm hoping for Seattle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I think that Seattle will have a professional hockey team long before it has a professional basketball team. Maybe as soon as next season?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I like the 'yotes in AZ. Am I the only one that wants them to stay and make it work?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

I like the 'yotes in AZ. Am I the only one that wants them to stay and make it work?

Lambda, if they could make it work, sure, keep them there.

But it has been 17 years since the Jets moved to Arizona - in that time the Yotes have averaged $25 million in annual losses and have not made a profit once.

I'd love to see them stay and make it work. I'd also love to win the lottery. Both are equally as likely to happen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Don't have a dog in the fight just hope they go somewhere they are appreciated. The Yotes have a solid team and good prospects in the pipeline. With the right owners that team could be a consistent contender. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Another one that puzzles me is Milwaukee.  I understand that its three hours from Chicago (which is why there is no team)...But Packers fans hate Chicago Bears.  Do you think that Milwaukee/Green Bay people like rooting for the Blackhawks?

"Its weird because we hate the Chicago Bears but root for the Chicago Blackhawks up here in Milwaukee/Green Bay"?  Id have a hard time with this if I was a Packers fan in Green Bay.

IMO, Milwaukee/GB can support a hockey team on their own.  Those fans are very easily "stealable."  Put a team in Milwaukee, make their colors Green and Yellow (just like Packers) and ask Aaron Rodgers to do some commercials.  Mooch off the Packers, so to speak.

Blackhawks dont need the support from Milwaukee, they have enough from Chicago.  In the MLB , Chicago supports two baseball teams, and thats without the help of Milwaukee (Milwaukee has their own team).  The bulls do okay without the support of Milwaukee, as does the Bears.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Why is hockey the only sport where Wisconsin doesnt have their own team?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Why is hockey the only sport where Wisconsin doesnt have their own team?  

I don't have an answer to your good question. I'm sure that guys/ladies a lot smarter than us have studied the feasibilty and have come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be worth it. I have always assumed that if there was support for NHL hockey in Wisconsin then they'd have a team already. I never hear that Wisconsin mentioned when talk of expansion or moving franchises is dicussed. We have all heard cities like Hamilton, Quebec, Seattle and even (the almost no chance of going back to)Hartford but no Milwaukee.

I know that the Wisconsin Badgers hockey program is very successful and draws a huge following. Badger fans also travel to support the program and I know it's a good state for supporting youth and high school hockey so I'm at a loss.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Up here I keep hearing Oklahoma City as an alternative as well...Then in the last past few months, I start hearing Seattle.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Another one that puzzles me is Milwaukee.  I understand that its three hours from Chicago (which is why there is no team)...But Packers fans hate Chicago Bears.  Do you think that Milwaukee/Green Bay people like rooting for the Blackhawks?

"Its weird because we hate the Chicago Bears but root for the Chicago Blackhawks up here in Milwaukee/Green Bay"?  Id have a hard time with this if I was a Packers fan in Green Bay.

IMO, Milwaukee/GB can support a hockey team on their own.  Those fans are very easily "stealable."  Put a team in Milwaukee, make their colors Green and Yellow (just like Packers) and ask Aaron Rodgers to do some commercials.  Mooch off the Packers, so to speak.

Blackhawks dont need the support from Milwaukee, they have enough from Chicago.  In the MLB , Chicago supports two baseball teams, and thats without the help of Milwaukee (Milwaukee has their own team).  The bulls do okay without the support of Milwaukee, as does the Bears.

Milwaukee is a viable option with an existing fanbase and interested owner, Harris Turer owner of the Admirals. 

Their problem is the Bradley. The Bucks and the City of Milwaukee are in a dispute over a replacement facility for the Bradley. Until that gets resolved, no team for Milwaukee (Though over all the options, including Quebec, it would be my first choice) Also, remember the Bradley is community owned, the teams residing in it only get money from ticket sales - that's it. No concessions, parking suites, nada. That makes it financially unviable until there's another rink.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I know a lot of Pats and Sox fans who hate the Bruins.  Just because they hate the Bears doesn't mean they don't love the Blackhawks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2013/06/19/renaissance-looks-to-broker-phoenix.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+industry_11+%28Industry+Sports%29

“The thing is, if there’s not some sort of framework in place for a deal by Friday, you have to imagine the NHL will pull the plug. This can’t continue to drag on into July,” said an executive working close to the deal.

A Renaissance purchase of the Coyotes from the NHL hinges on a favorable lease deal and arena management payments from the city of Glendale.

Renaissance originally wanted $15 million per year from the city as part of an arena deal. The city started the process at $6 million and also voiced concerns about the Renaissance bid using city money to pay debt service on the franchise purchase.

Renaissance and the city have been trying to work out a compromise that brings in more revenue to Glendale and eases their concerns.

“The clock is really ticking here,” the executive said. “The good news is, it seems they’re down to tweaking the deal, making some minor refinements. It appears Renaissance has met the City’s main objective — to create enough revenue that this deal works for both sides.”

The source also pointed out that Renaissance executives believe their deal is better for the city than past Coyotes pacts."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Lost in all this is the fact that Glendale is a horrible location for the Yotes, and the fanbase is tiny. Enough already. They can claim that the money could potentially work, but it isnt a recipe for long term growth. Unless the go downtown Phoenix near ASU, people won't travel. Especially such an older fanbase.