player question - hockey bags

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

player question - hockey bags

I am so fed up with buying a new bag every 4 or 5 years.  The damn things should last forever.  I've duct taped up the skate pockets last year and now the zippers are all breaking.  It's an Easton bag, but I've owned a bunch of others and it's the same story with all of them.

So can anyone recommend a bag that will last/

Surely someone must know somebody making industructable bags somewhere.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: player question - hockey bags

A miracle I found this post.  Just over a year ago I posted this.  And the Tackla bag I bought at that time I have; repaired broken zippers, repaired the wheels, sewn split seams.  Another seam burst and I'm sick of it.

I'm going to give up on the wheels unless there's a durable bag with wheels.

Can anyone recommend a bag that won't blow up?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You'd have more luck finding El Dorado.

A hockey bag with a life beyond four or five years without any wear or tear at all? If you can find one, I'll show where Big Foot is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

You'd have more luck finding El Dorado.

A hockey bag with a life beyond four or five years without any wear or tear at all? If you can find one, I'll show where Big Foot is.

How about getting more than a year?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Starting a couple years ago I've been using a Canadian Forces duffle bag that I got from Army Surplus. No rips as of yet, and it has snaps not zippers and I've had no problems yet. It is built for a different purpose, but the size is right for me and it has so far been durable. Ask me after next season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I've got 2 lined up that look better than most

https://www.tonyscanvas.com/canvas-bags-sports-bags/hockey-bags/

http://www.roguewear.com/bags/hockey-bags/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

BH I think the 1st one looks more durable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Current hockey bags suck!  Let me know if you find a good one.  I'm currently on the prowl so I will let you know if I find one.  My friend has a Labatt Blue bag that has a beer cooler compartment and it's awesome, but I don't think it's for regular sale.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Pure hockey is having it's big sale this week so I'm going to it.  Some great bargains can be had, I saw some bags that were returned from some OHL team last year, but the problem with pro bags is that they don't have compartments for towels, shower sandals and tape and pucks because the team will take all that stuff for them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I am so fed up with buying a new bag every 4 or 5 years.  The damn things should last forever.  I've duct taped up the skate pockets last year and now the zippers are all breaking.  It's an Easton bag, but I've owned a bunch of others and it's the same story with all of them.   So can anyone recommend a bag that will last/   Surely someone must know somebody making industructable bags somewhere.

Best bet? Most bang for the buck?
    Go to the Army/Navy store and get an Army duffle bag. Pain in the butt...gotta turn it upside down and shake all your stuff out or take lots of time packing it "just so" you can take the stuff out when you want it. The designers of the new bags add a 'break down feature'...planned obsolescense. So you gotta go buy a new on. It's just economics.

Garfield

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

BH I think the 1st one looks more durable.

And the second place didn't respond to my email.  later for them.

I'm going to order with the first company and let's see if I can get more than a year out of this bag.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Good luck, let me know how that goes. I have an Easton bag that I've had for about a year now that has a seam thats gone. I've found that using the double handles on either side rather than the shoulder strap prolongs the life a bit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Any hockey bag that comes with wheels should only come in pink with lace around the edges.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

I had the older version of this bag. Had it forever atleast 9 years without a problem. Only reason i got rid of it, because when I blew my knees out during a game I hung up the skates because I knew I wouldn't be able to play goalie ever again. Best position in the game.

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/ccm-goalie-wheeled-equipment-bag-pro.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, re: wheels whether you think they are sissy or love the convenience, truth of the matter is that they can potentially break down.

Yes, the bags that you can buy from the major vendors are junk and will self destruct.

Here is the bag that many professional teams use and can survive the wear and tear of a LOT of travel.

http://www.jrzhockey.ca/en/?special-deals

Downside to this bag is that it only has one big compartment, no internal or external pockets.  I have heard that this bag will last at least 5 years, if not the last bag you will ever buy.  

I would have bought this, but I couldn't find anyone locally to sew extra pockets into it without a big hassle.

I'm going with the Tony's Canvas bag because he's agreed to sew inside pockets for me, it should last a lot longer than the major vendors.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Note:  Note sure if it was a JRZ bag or not, but I know I guy who played for Northeastern in 1997 who has that same style bag - canvas bag, one big compartment.  He is still using that bag - that's 16 years for those of you without advanced math degrees.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ipats. Show ipats's posts

Note:  Note sure if it was a JRZ bag or not, but I know I guy who played for Northeastern in 1997 who has that same style bag - canvas bag, one big compartment.  He is still using that bag - that's 16 years for those of you without advanced math degrees.

The canvas bags lasted forever! They held "the smell of the game" but you could hose them down once a year or so.

The new bags have more bells and whistles but the fabrics aren't as durable and it seems all the pockets with plastic zippers break on the bends.

I went old school 2yrs ago and went with a simple RBK bag, one straight zipper and reinforced straps. So far so good! http://discounthockey.com/reebok-4k-deluxe-equipment-bag-40-inch.html#.UgRLYJJUR8E

You need at least 600 denier on the nylon bags, the higher the better. Avoid any vinyl bags completely. The more pockets/zippers you have, the more places for breaking.  Having said that, I've heard good things about the GRIT bags. Pure Hockey is pushing them...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to ipats' comment:

The canvas bags lasted forever! They held "the smell of the game" but you could hose them down once a year or so.

The new bags have more bells and whistles but the fabrics aren't as durable and it seems all the pockets with plastic zippers break on the bends.

I went old school 2yrs ago and went with a simple RBK bag, one straight zipper and reinforced straps. So far so good! http://discounthockey.com/reebok-4k-deluxe-equipment-bag-40-inch.html#.UgRLYJJUR8E

You need at least 600 denier on the nylon bags, the higher the better. Avoid any vinyl bags completely. The more pockets/zippers you have, the more places for breaking.  Having said that, I've heard good things about the GRIT bags. Pure Hockey is pushing them...

Tony's canvas - their hockey bag is 1000 denier, he points out the nylon is more water resistant.  If this fails, I'll go for the JRZ bag.  The only reason I didn't go for it now is because it would cost me a fortune, plus it will be a bear to find someone (a shoe repair place *might* do it) willing to sew in extra pockets.

Any of those major brands I don't trust anymore.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ipats. Show ipats's posts

[/QUOTE]

Tony's canvas - their hockey bag is 1000 denier, he points out the nylon is more water resistant.  If this fails, I'll go for the JRZ bag.  The only reason I didn't go for it now is because it would cost me a fortune, plus it will be a bear to find someone (a shoe repair place *might* do it) willing to sew in extra pockets.

Any of those major brands I don't trust anymore.

[/QUOTE]

That looks like a good bag.  1000 denier is considered "ballistic' nylon--it should hold up. You might try your local dry cleaner--they usually have a stitcher in house and if talented enough could probably add your pockets. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Oh fer crying out loud.  I just got the Tony's Canvas bag in the mail.  I had requested 2 extra inside pockets and got one - a small one and I told him I wanted the pockets to put my skates in.

I'll see how this works out, but had I known I wasn't going to get the pockets I wanted I just would have gone with the JRZ bag.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I got the JRZ bag today and I can say this much already, much more substance to this bag than any other bag I've seen.  The material is twice as thick as the alledged 1000 dernier than the Tony's Canvas bag.  The zipper pulls are metal and the zipper itself is thick.  This thing is built!  From Canada and not that cheap Chinese junk.  I'll give the web address again, they deserve it, quality products are hard to come by nowadays.

http://www.jrzhockey.ca/en/?special-deals

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

I am so fed up with buying a new bag every 4 or 5 years.  The damn things should last forever.  I've duct taped up the skate pockets last year and now the zippers are all breaking.  It's an Easton bag, but I've owned a bunch of others and it's the same story with all of them.   So can anyone recommend a bag that will last/   Surely someone must know somebody making industructable bags somewhere.

Don't know if this helps, but I just bought a back-to-school backpack for my grand daughter. It's called "Hello Kitty". You can put your skates in it, and place it in your new bag.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Apply cold water to burn!

Are you not entertained?!?!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Apply cold water to burn!

Are you not entertained?!?!

Yes.  Since last night.  Still stings now tho.

Sections
Shortcuts