Players and owners only ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Players and owners only ?

Bettman suggests players, owners meet without league or union leaders

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/29/bettman-suggests-players-owners-meet-without-league-or-union/

B
    est idea yet. No Fehr brothers, Bettman or Daly. Can't hurt. Question is: Does Fehr think it's a good idea also ? And if not, why ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Players and owners only ?

If Fehr doesn't like the idea, I would guess it's because the owners might gain intel on how united or divided the players are, or they might latch on to the views of a few more moderate players and represent them as how all the players truly feel if only the evil union wasn't controlling their destinies.  I don't mean the Hamrlik's of the world, but some mid-level vet with five or six years in who just wants to know what it will take to get back on the ice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Some of the opinions I'm hearing and reading. The worry is from the player's side ( by some ) is that they get thrown into a room with business savvy owners with degrees. 

Others say " What the hey, what do we have to lose ?"

My opinion is what's the big deal if all they're going to do is.........listen ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

From PuckDaddy:  Andrew Ladd of the Winnipeg Jets on the proposed meeting sans Fehr and Bettman between players and owners: ""There always seems to be a catch with every idea the owners have. But if it's something where we could get all 30 owners in the same room with representatives from each team and talk, just so they know where we're sitting and where everybody stands then, yeah, it could be positive. But only if it's done in the right way. If it's still the same guys from their end talking... if it's (Boston Bruins' owner) Jeremy Jacobs in there spewing his stuff, I don't think it's going to move this process forward." [Free Press]

Yeah, Andrew, but if there's a catch, could it be worse than being unemployed? 

Also, this statement about Jacobs ends the dream some of us had about Ladd coming to play in Boston.

Lastly, the more the players speak in the press, the more stupid they reveal that they are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

From PuckDaddy:  Andrew Ladd of the Winnipeg Jets on the proposed meeting sans Fehr and Bettman between players and owners: ""There always seems to be a catch with every idea the owners have. But if it's something where we could get all 30 owners in the same room with representatives from each team and talk, just so they know where we're sitting and where everybody stands then, yeah, it could be positive. But only if it's done in the right way. If it's still the same guys from their end talking... if it's (Boston Bruins' owner) Jeremy Jacobs in there spewing his stuff, I don't think it's going to move this process forward." [Free Press]

Also, this statement about Jacobs ends the dream some of us had about Ladd coming to play in Boston.

Lastly, the more the players speak in the press, the more stupid they reveal that they are.

NAS I agree with your post but in regard to Ladd, I feel that players tend feel a certain way until money is involved. I think his opinion about Jacobs (and/or playing in Boston) would change if the lockout ended and he was earning a salary. He'd want to come here to play for a contender especially if the money was good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

He may want to come to Boston, but I can't imagine that Jacobs would allow it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

Don't do it!!

My advice to the players

Never discuss legal matters without legal counsel.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I'm really hoping this is Bettman's exit strategy.  He can get a deal done without the perception the Donald Fehr got the better of him.  Egomaniacs need to do these kinds of things. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I couldnt agree more & I really love how the players are placing all the blame on one owner & the commissoner. Both of these guys don't make the decision's. They certainly make suggestions, but that doesn't mean the other 29 owners have to agree, or follow. What I'd really like to know is that if the rest of the owners lost so much money with this last CBA? Why did they keep JJ at the helm of chairman of the govenor's board? Why wasn't he replaced for this go around? Is it because they're all afraid of him, or is it because he's the one that actually helped them make decision's that made them the most money?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

players, uneducated, those that did go to college majored in hockey with a minor in chasing skirts.  None own major businesses.  A few might very well be neanderthals (DNA results pending), some documented idiotic remarks.

owners, all own major businesses, all do business deals all the time. A few might very well be egomaniacs, some documented idiotic remarks.

Yes.  I would buy a ticket to this event.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

This brings some thoughts to my mind.

1. The owners sense that some players are getting antsy and are hearing whispers that some would just like to accept a deal and get playing.

2. Some owners may be feeling the same way.

3. The owners would love to negotiate without Fehr in the room, and in order to acheive this have agreed in good faith to make Bettman their sacrificial lamb, even though the owners voted 100% on the lockout.

4. Should this meeting result in significant progress towards a deal, Bettman and Fehr, right or wrong will come out looking worse than how the hockey fan already perceives them.

5. I don't care if the Green Men or Blades are in the room, get a deal done!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bettman doesn't come out looking differently.  He does more than negotiate the CBA.  He runs the entire league.  Fehr comes out looking useless.  His only job, the only thing he was hired for is to negotiate the best deal on behalf of his player's interests.  If they can do it themselves, what's his purpose?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Everyone wants all the owners in the room not just the richest owners for good reason. If Jacobs agrees to this I will be shock, he won't be able to control the converstation/agenda. The players will have NHLPA attorneys in the room as it has been mentioned by puckdaddy and Pierre Lebrun so what the owners tell them can be explained in lamans.

This is the absolute last resort to salvage a season suggested by Bettman. If we get a shortened season all the Bettman hawks can thank him for the idea.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Bettman doesn't come out looking differently.  He does more than negotiate the CBA.  He runs the entire league.  Fehr comes out looking useless.  His only job, the only thing he was hired for is to negotiate the best deal on behalf of his player's interests.  If they can do it themselves, what's his purpose?

A great question indeed! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Great post. Maybe Bettman is trying to get rid of Fehr ... Players don't need him etc.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

For the record, I don't really blame Bettman for this. I think he's done a good job as commish. As I've stated before, many people blame Bettman for the lockout and I don't understand why, the Board Of Governors voted for it and the owners backed it 100%..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Bettman suggests players, owners meet without league or union leaders

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/29/bettman-suggests-players-owners-meet-without-league-or-union/

B
    est idea yet. No Fehr brothers, Bettman or Daly. Can't hurt. Question is: Does Fehr think it's a good idea also ? And if not, why ?

I would agree to that idea.  And schedule it in a conference room at the court house right after they file for Decertification.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bim09's comment:

I would agree to that idea.  And schedule it in a conference room at the court house right after they file for Decertification.

A quiet conference room, maybe dark?  Maybe with condoms?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

A quiet conference room, maybe dark?  Maybe with condoms?

That glow in the dark?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

This echoes of the Hotchkiss-Linden meetings that paved the way for an eventual settlement of the '04 lockout. 

Perhaps a couple of guys who represent "the voice of reason", and don't have egos the size of Manhattan can get the wagon moving in the right direction.

Might as well give it a try -- nothing else has worked thus far.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

This echoes of the Hotchkiss-Linden meetings that paved the way for an eventual settlement of the '04 lockout. 

Perhaps a couple of guys who represent "the voice of reason", and don't have egos the size of Manhattan can get the wagon moving in the right direction.

Might as well give it a try -- nothing else has worked thus far.

One of the few times we agree North! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

It's a date!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410815

NHL OWNERS AND PLAYERS TO MEET ON TUESDAY IN NEW YORK

The owners that will take part in the meeting are Jeremy Jacobs of the Boston Bruins, Ronald Burkle of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Mark Chipman of the Winnipeg Jets, Jeffery Vinik of the Tampa Bay Lightning, Murray Edwards of the Calgary Flames and Larry Tanenbaum of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The NHLPA requested that a staff member from each side be present for the meeting. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly will attend the meeting while the NHLPA has yet to identify which staff member they will have in the room.

Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr will not be involved.

"There will be owners attending this meeting who have not previously done so, which is encouraging and which we welcome," Fehr said in a statement. "We hope that this meeting will be constructive and lead to a dialogue that will help us find a way to reach an agreement."

The names of the players that will represent the NHLPA are not yet known.

Following the breakdown of talks between the two sides that involved federal mediators, Bettman proposed on Thursday that the leadership from both sides step aside for the next bargaining session, leaving a group of owners and players to try and break the stalemate.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Bottom line, Owners need to move towards the Players if a deal is gonna get done.  And, with JJ in the room, that is unlikely to happen.  Men like Jacobs only respond to hardball business decisions.  Decertification is very likey to happen. Then we'll see a deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Bottom line, Owners need to move towards the Players if a deal is gonna get done.  And, with JJ in the room, that is unlikely to happen.  Men like Jacobs only respond to hardball business decisions.  Decertification is very likey to happen. Then we'll see a deal.

On the contrary, i think if the players decertify, the owners will dig in even more for labor armageddon.They will play it out until its conclusion and deal with the results. I hope the players are ready to lose even more money, i know the owners are, but lets remember, they are billionaires. The owners know decertification is an option for the players and are i'm sure prepared. To all the Krys Barches, Ian Whites, Jamal Mayers of the world, they'll have likely played they're last game in the N.H.L, i hope they'll be happy knowing they fought the good fight.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

On the contrary, i think if the players decertify, the owners will dig in even more for labor armageddon.They will play it out until its conclusion and deal with the results. I hope the players are ready to lose even more money, i know the owners are, but lets remember, they are billionaires. The owners know decertification is an option for the players and are i'm sure prepared. To all the Krys Barches, Ian Whites, Jamal Mayers of the world, they'll have likely played they're last game in the N.H.L, i hope they'll be happy knowing they fought the good fight.

So, your saying the owners are prepared to pay out triple damages in lawsuits and lose hundreds of millions of dollars in revenues just to make a point?  Not to mention the damage it will do to the leagues reputation.  I seriously doubt it.

And if the PA files in the ninth circuit, the owners won't be able to get to the table fast enough to sign a deal.  The ninth circuit is like the harbinger of death to big business.

Sections
Shortcuts