Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them

Watching TT play brilliantly again last night, and I think back to pre-cup days when a lot of people really couldn't stand him. Most of them have since gone away, but some have been man enough to admit they were wrong (SoxfaninIll comes to mind). Over the past few years, we've seen people diss Chara, Bergeron, Tank, Seguin, Lucic, etc...

The question is, what player(s) on the current roster did you have an either rational or irrational dislike of who forced you to reassess your judgement of them in this brave new world in which the B's are champs?

For me it's Gregory Campbell, up until the playoffs last year, for whatever reason (4th line grinder, Colin's son, not much production) I really wasn't a fan of his. Now I realize just how great of a player he is. He's really the Swiss Army Knife of this team.

To a lesser extent Shawn Thornton, always viewed him as a goon and nothing more. There is obviously a lot more to him than that.

C'Mon, don't be shy. Fess up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Re: Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them

Horton - saw how he played in Florida thought he would come here and be a total coaster all year.  Remember telling my friend "If you thought Ryder was bad wait till you see this guy."

He had a tough stretch last year and the beginning of this year but not nearly as bad as what I thought.  That and he was huge in the playoffs!

I've been eating seconds and thirds of that crow as well....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Kelly.  I saw him as nothing more than a depth acquisition, but during the playoffs, he won me over.  Veteran center, dependable and can score of the opportunity presents.  What more can you ask for?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

paille... he had a slow start last year, and he fell out of favor with me and many posters here. BUT, he definitely got better as the season wore on, and proved himself to be a great penalty killer. one of the best, not just on his team, but in the nhl. i can recall him single-handedly killing a minute off the clock all by himself during the cup-run. this time last year i questioned his worth... now i'm a true-believer. he was a big part of the winning formula that was the 2010-11 bruins. my apologies daniel paille  

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Ryder - I could not stand to watch him cruise around in the previous seasons but after his performance in last years playoff's, I can say he played a major role in the Stanley Cup win!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

I'm really ~ really starting to like Peverly

great pick up !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuck55. Show chuck55's posts

Ok I will man up and admit it is Bergy for me. I felt that we should have traded him a few years ago. I knew he was a good player but I always felt he lacked something. Today i feel he is the best player on the Bruins and the best complete foward in the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

McQuaid.  Never looked at him as anything more than a healthy scratch.  Mainly a Providence guy.  But he's developing into a solid defenseman for this team.  And his confindence has grown considerably since the beginning of last season.  I like him.  Also.......his ability to stand up for himself and his teammates is also a welcomed trait.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Nice job on the post, this should make for some solid discussion.

It has to be the Tank. I thought Thomas was too old to play at such a ridiculously high level. Best goaltender in the game.

An honorable mention goes to Peter Chiarelli. Those deals for Kelly and Peverley were perfect. The Pevs deal rid the team of two underperforming players and Kelly has been one of the best-fitting players on the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Kelly for me too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Peverley and Kelly were big question marks when they first got here. Kelly won my favor in the playoffs an Peverley on the first line during the final was awesome.

I gotta say I was frustrated by Paille's play last year. I thought he was pretty atrocious and then he was laying it down on the PK and out skating opponents. That line really did become an energy line.

Kaberle, I liked the idea of PMD and thought he was going to be the answer. I am gonna have to say I was WAY off base there. But in the end we got the cup and he contributed to the win so can't complain too much about it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Marchand.  I thought he was no more then a third line agitator.  Clearly I was wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

I realize you asked for current roster players but here is my list:
    Ryder - My disgust bordered on hatred during the regular season but boy did he prove me wrong in the playoffs
    Bergeron - He was a different player when he came back from the concussion and I thought his career was over. Again, I was wrong.
    Don Sweeney - I'm going way back on this one but, I would literally spend entire games counting the mistakes he made in his rookie season and I NEVER would have imagined him staying with the team after the first year. I was wrong again.

The moral of the story here is that my wife is right when she says I'm always wrong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Horton. I thought that was going to be a terrible trade for an underachieving, lazy, one-dimensional player. He's been great since he got here and even during his slump last season the effort was there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Ryder -  I cursed him the whole time he was in Boston but after witnessing the whole Pouliot fiasco, I'm wishing they would have just re-signed him. I can't believe I just said that. At least he chipped in with occasional goals & he was a beast in the playoffs.

Peverly -  At first I thought the Bruins got ripped off in the trade with the Thrashers. Stuart & Wheeler I thought was alot to give up at the time but Peverly has really proven me wrong. He is playing at a real high level, a pleasant surprise.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

In those early PC years, I questioned allot.

In no specific order:
    Chara - I threw him under bus as he was not very good under Lewis' system and I remember just wanting a mulligan on that large contract.  Under CJ, he is a totally different player and worth every penny.

Thomas - Never thought his style was good enough to win a cup.  Perhaps the stupidest thought in my history as a B's fan.

Krejci - Liked his skill but remember him in his rookie year, he was really snake bit for goals and I questioned if he could ever be a top 2 Centre.  Again...stupid.

Kelly, Peverly, Campbell and Paille all won me over during last season and into the playoffs.  I remember asking myself what the hell is Kelly bringing to the table?  Mind you, he only had a handful of games under his belt as a Bruin.  By the end of the playoffs me and a drunk buddy were singing Ebony and Ivory and replacing the lyrics with this drunken gem:

Peverly and Chris Kelly
    Work together on the penalty
    Side by Side on the PK
    Oh no!, chip it out...it's 5 on 3!!

Oh yeah, we were feeling good that night!!

Ryder - Always liked this player and liked him even more during last years playoffs.

Recchi - This guy inspired me so much during his few years as a Bruin, I decided to put his name on my Bruins jersey.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Pouliot.  He's worse than I thought.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Not so much players, but the coach, Claude Julien. I've been a Claude critic for most of the last two years. Had to take a better look as the Bruins progressed in the playoffs. This year, whether it was input from Cam, or just a light going off, Claude has been much more pro-active with his decisions. Don't want to get all mushy, and would like to retain some caution, but, he is doing a much better job overall.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

Andrew Ference.
    Mr Injury Prone. When healthy, he is definitly a 2-3 D-man. Tough no nonsense play. Sure, still makes the odd blunder but we are Human. And Sieds! What would have happened in '10 with the playoff run if Dennis wasn't injured?

Both underrated in my book and lived up to expectations for the whole World to see last year

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them:
    [QUOTE]Marchand.  I thought he was no more then a third line agitator.  Clearly I was wrong.
    Posted by RickyHussle[/QUOTE]

Mee too, never did I see the offensive side of him..

The Ryder stuff just reinforces what I've always thought of him. Why didnt we see it more often. When he has a fire under him, he is darn good. Can shoot the puck with the best of them, just didn't show up enough.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Peverly and Chris Kelly
    Work together on the penalty
    Side by Side on the PK
    Oh no!, chip it out...it's 5 on 3!!

Awesome

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

Seidenberg Hard to believe no one signed him until September and then Florida let him go for flotsam and jetsam. And threw in Bartkowski

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Marchand.  When he first came up for a 'tryout' I thought it was a bad commentary on the depth of the roster.  I saw him as an AHL player, who scored a lot in the Q, but was never going to be an NHL contributor.

Tim Thomas.  Not any time recently.  But when he first came into the mix I saw a journeyman goalie with bad form who was a career AHL/European player.  I actually thought they first called him up to expose to the front office how little depth they had in net.  I mean, 'Tim Thomas'?  His name even sounds un-dynamic.  Mr. Smiley, aw-shucks demeanor, from Flint, Michigan?  And he's already past his prime age?  Give me a break.  Bring up a real goalie.

I love being wrong this way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordByron77. Show LordByron77's posts

In Response to Re: Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them:
    [QUOTE]Marchand.  When he first came up for a 'tryout' I thought it was a bad commentary on the depth of the roster.  I saw him as an AHL player, who scored a lot in the Q, but was never going to be an NHL contributor. Tim Thomas.  Not any time recently.  But when he first came into the mix I saw a journeyman goalie with bad form who was a career AHL/European player.  I actually thought they first called him up to expose to the front office how little depth they had in net.  I mean, 'Tim Thomas'?  His name even sounds un-dynamic.  Mr. Smiley, aw-shucks demeanor, from Flint, Michigan?  And he's already past his prime age?  Give me a break.  Bring up a real goalie. I love being wrong this way.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

You're never wrong Fletch ... misguided?

Sections
Shortcuts