Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3989369. Show user_3989369's posts

Re: Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them

Ference.  In the past I thought he got pushed off the puck way too easily in his own zone by bigger guys.  I think Jagr used to salivate when he saw Ference out there.  His performance toward the end of last season and particularly in the playoffs changed my mind.  He's a keeper.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Chara - Thought he was just a big lug and a horrible signing. Didn't appreciate how good of a shut down defender he is. Funny when you watch Western Conference teams that aren't used to playing against him.

Otherwise, I'm a pretty big homer when it comes to the Bs. I am proud to say that I was one of the first people on the Marchand bandwagon (before he made the team out of camp last year).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

In Response to Re: Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them:
    [QUOTE]Not so much players, but the coach, Claude Julien. I've been a Claude critic for most of the last two years. Had to take a better look as the Bruins progressed in the playoffs. This year, whether it was input from Cam, or just a light going off, Claude has been much more pro-active with his decisions. Don't want to get all mushy, and would like to retain some caution, but, he is doing a much better job overall.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

yeah. I agree with you on CJ. I called for his head after the loss to Carolina--and while there are a few things that bug me about him, he's obviousy gotten all of his players to buy in and has had them playing at an elite level for multiple seasons.

As far as an actual player is concerned, I'll echoe what 5 others have posted and say Michael Ryder.

First, I acknowledge that Michael Ryder regularly hit the snooze button during regular season games, but in his Boston career in the post-season, he raised his game more often than not. In 49 playoff games with the Bruins, Ryder had 35 points to put him at a 0.71ppg clip (He was also +8 during this three year run). This puts Ryder in a tie for total points with Patrice Bergeron @  #2 on the Bruins points during their three year run, behind only David Krejci's 41 point totals.

He made several outstanding plays, and scored some extremely clutch goals. You can honestly say, that if it weren't for Michael Ryder, the Bruins could not have won the Stanley cup.

I personally think the Bruins would have been better off this season with Ryder on the 3rd line, but its hard to argue with the results so far. But come playoff time, I sincerely doubt we'll be watching Caron/Poliout, who are essentially Ryder's replacement, put up anywhere near his totals.

Ryder raised his skill level when it actually mattered. He may have glided through the regular season, but I honestly don't care about that. He showed he had a skill set and a mentality that was condusive to post season performance. To the extent that the playoffs are what actually matters, losing Ryder really stung.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them : You're never wrong Fletch ... misguided?
    Posted by LordByron77[/QUOTE]

Yes...that's much more fair...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Horton.  For a while he was, on this board, what Nash is now - the big, high-draft-pick goal scorer that everyone wanted the Bruins to go get, as long as it was for Hamill, a toaster, and the name of a good muffler guy.  I shared the "if you think Ryder is bad..." feeling.  I wanted to be wrong.  Sometimes, I wish I was more wrong.

It's not some sort of Katherine Hepburn movie thing, but I've gone from being mostly disinterested in Peverley to giving him credit for creating some useful chaos on offense.  Slowly, and this would be a bigger shift, I'm starting to admit that Corvo is playing at a higher level than I expected.  If he plays the way he has the last ten or so, I will put him near the top of the list.

I've put Boychuk on an "I was wrong" thread before.  Rare that a guy with his number of games played in the A becomes a top four defender on a Cup winner.  Almost unheard of actually.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Ference, for the same reasons already mentioned, and even more after he agreed with the league throwing the book at teammate Paille, but boy did he make me change my opinion of him during last year's playoffs....  also, that goal against the habnots in game four may have been the most important one for the B'S in their drive for Lord Stanley....

now if only Boychuk could make me see him in a better light too....  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them:[QUOTE]Kelly. Veteran center, dependable and can score of the opportunity presents.  What more can you ask for? Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Scooter, I can't think of a better Center in his own zone helping his goalie. He is a complete master thief, I would put him in the top 5 of the NHL as a defensive center that is saying allot next to his teammate Bergy.

I was saying at the beginning of the season Peverley needs a winger on his side to score, now I'm saying Kelly and Rich some help they contained the puck the most last night in the offensive zone. Get rid of Pouliot and give those two a winger that can keep up with them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Pouliot.  He's worse than I thought.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Short, sweet & to the point. Couldn't agree more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them : Scooter, I can't think of a better Center in his own zone helping his goalie. He is a complete master thief, I would put him in the top 5 of the NHL as a defensive center that is saying allot next to his teammate Bergy. I was saying at the beginning of the season Peverley needs a winger on his side to score, now I'm saying Kelly and Rich some help they contained the puck the most last night in the offensive zone. Get rid of Pouliot and give those two a winger that can keep up with them.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Good for you!  I'm next.  Here goes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Well, I have come back and took my lumps at the time.

1. Chara- I said he had to lead.  Well.  Mr. CHARA.  You have my respect as one of the gms better leaders. 
    2. Ference- I complained about his contract.  He played outstanding last year. Unsung hero for sure.
    3. Bergie- I am not sure there is a player I like more.  Mr. Jack Of All trades is easily worth the cash they dished out. 
    4. TT- I was always a fan.  But as a goalie its always what have you done for me lately.  Right now he stands as having the best goalie performance EVER in a Stanley Cup final.  So was I critical of him not winning the big game.  Yes.  I was.  BUT, was always a fan.  And if we dig back I said when we lost gm 4 to Phily two yrs ago he should have gone in. 
    5. Lucic- Overpriced contract.  Scores 30.  Shut Up Shuperman!
    6. Marchand- A hero last yr but I'm not basing it on last year. I'm basing it on the fact that he was always a good hockey player.  Now, he is showing he isnt a punk.  He might be the biggest reason our team was so good last year.  And thats saying a lot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinscam. Show bruinscam's posts

ryder    should have kept

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Tim Thomas- Was an instant favorite of mine when I saw him get called up from Providence and I beleive he made 40 or 50 something saves vs the Stars in 2006. The bruins lost in a shootout but I was like who the heck is this guy? Me and my friends were amazed the show he put on and we thought it was cool as heck he had an old school styled mask. Although I have been a fan of his I had my doubts weather he could win big games in the playoffs. The bruins were out played in montreal in the 2008 game 7 loss but Tim Also let in some soft goals. Wasn't all his fault they lost but I felt he let his team down in that game none the less. I knew he was a great goalie but wasn't sure he could be counted on in the playoffs. After what happened last spring and how he played he has nothing to proove to me and now I feel foolish for questioning weather or not he could "steal games" for us in the playoffs.

To many players to list on this but I guess I will just use Chara. I had serious questions weather many of our key players had the heart,desire and mental toughness to preform in the playoffs and not wilt under preasure. After the team went down 0-2 to montreal I was enraged and shocked and in my mind said I guess this just prooving they are who I thought they were and thought this team was going to be blown up soon. Well we all know what happened they went on the road and won the next 2 in Montreal and the rest as they say is history. Still can't beleive chara let being sick keep him out of game 2 vs the habs but its forgoten since he came back and we won the series.

I will also add last season Andrew Ferrence won me over. I thought he was soft and quite frankly usless as a defensman. He won me over after going to bat for his teamates on many occasions last season willing to drop the gloves to defend teamates. He also did a good job on the blue line and had 2 pretty big goals in the playoffs. He also isn't a bad fighter!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Chris Kelly has to be the biggest change for me. He was mostly invisible aside from eating monster minutes in the PK last year. Now, he's doing everything and has managed to do it weighed down with Pouliot.

In Response to Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them:
    [QUOTE]Watching TT play brilliantly again last night, and I think back to pre-cup days when a lot of people really couldn't stand him. Most of them have since gone away, but some have been man enough to admit they were wrong (SoxfaninIll comes to mind). Over the past few years, we've seen people diss Chara, Bergeron, Tank, Seguin, Lucic, etc... The question is, what player(s) on the current roster did you have an either rational or irrational dislike of who forced you to reassess your judgement of them in this brave new world in which the B's are champs? For me it's Gregory Campbell, up until the playoffs last year, for whatever reason (4th line grinder, Colin's son, not much production) I really wasn't a fan of his. Now I realize just how great of a player he is. He's really the Swiss Army Knife of this team. To a lesser extent Shawn Thornton, always viewed him as a goon and nothing more. There is obviously a lot more to him than that. C'Mon, don't be shy. Fess up.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

If still for sending Pouliot to the pressbox for ten games and letting Caron sink or swim on that line.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Players who've forced you to change your opinion of them : Scooter, I can't think of a better Center in his own zone helping his goalie. He is a complete master thief, I would put him in the top 5 of the NHL as a defensive center that is saying allot next to his teammate Bergy. I was saying at the beginning of the season Peverley needs a winger on his side to score, now I'm saying Kelly and Rich some help they contained the puck the most last night in the offensive zone. Get rid of Pouliot and give those two a winger that can keep up with them.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]