Playoff Goal Scoring by the Numbers: A Tale of Two Years.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Playoff Goal Scoring by the Numbers: A Tale of Two Years.

I decided to take a look at how Bruins' player scoring broke down between last season's playoffs and this season's.  I broke things down in the following way: forwards and defense separate; players present both years versus players present only one year.

Two numbers are given.  The first is a straight goals-per-game number.  The second is goals-per-man-games.  In the latter, the number is more heavily weighted towards players who played in many games.  It should provide a more fair comparison for positions where players were in-and-out of the lineup.

Notes: I counted Soderberg as only this season.  I only did this with goals scored; I'm not sure trying it with assists or total points would be as meaningful.

Overall, the Bruins scored 2.96 GPG last season and 2.50 this season.  Both years about 75% of the goals came from the forwards.

(*Crosses fingers on formatting*)

-------------------------------

GPG   GPMG

1.64   0.24   F 2013 both
    0.64   0.19   D 2013 both

0.55   0.10   F 2013 only
    0.14   0.05   D 2013 only

0.67   0.10   F 2014 both
    0.58   0.13   D 2014 both

1.25   0.23   F 2014 only
    0.00   0.00   D 2014 only

Some starting observations:

• There was a slight decrease in scoring from the D, mostly from Krug and Boychuk.  Most of that half-goal a game loss in scoring came from the forwards.

• The drop-off in scoring for players present both seasons this year was precipitous.  A goal per game!

• By far the leading culprit in this drop was Krejci.  His linemates even did better this season.  Let's hope this is an aberration.  Campbell, Marchand, and Bergeron were 2, 3, 4, respectively.

• The remaining forwards did better this season than last, with Iginla performing slightly better than Horton.  The 2013 only forwards would have needed 15 more goals to match the scoring rate for the 2014 only forwards.

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: While I find these numbers suggestive, I maintain that what is really important is the timeliness of scoring, rather than bulk scoring.  I don't think there is any sane way to quantify that, however.

-- Proud user of http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8vclq_sgc2c-69-chambraigne" rel="nofollow">Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Playoff Goal Scoring by the Numbers: A Tale of Two Years.

Maybe there's an insane way?  marco?

Are you not entertained?!?!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

• The drop-off in scoring for players present both seasons this year was precipitous.  A goal per game!

[/QUOTE]

This make sense in a way. A lot of turnover up front and those who played last playoff may be a little fatigued....the newbies, not so much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

This make sense in a way. A lot of turnover up front and those who played last playoff may be a little fatigued....the newbies, not so much.

[/QUOTE]

Finals hangover?  I don't know.

With respect to Krejci, perhaps he was too focused on setting Iginla up?  I seem to remember some passed-up shots.

I just hope this isn't indicative of the problem some people have ascribed to Marchand; that the tape may be out on him and his moves are stale.  If the core of the Bruins' forwards have that as a problem, bigger moves may be needed.  Or perhaps a greater willingness to shuffle lines, just so that the players don't get caught in trying to do the same thing over and over.

[object HTMLDivElement]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

For long stretches it looked like a "Krejci run PP"...back to the point, back to the point, back to the point,back to the point,back to the point,back to the point etc. It was nauseating! 

The Canadiens demolished the 1st lines cycle and there were virtually no odd man rushes because the Bs couldn't figure out the mess Therrian put in the neutral zone. The 3rd line, which was great against Detroit, fizzled and then throw in Marchand's ghostly presence not good.

Great point though it did seem that Boston got some points from the blueline when needed in 2013.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I still think it's interesting that the difference in scoring that led to a second round exit rather than a return to the Finals seems to have come from players present both years, rather than the noteworthy turnover in the roster.

-- Proud user of http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8vclq_sgc2c-69-chambraigne" rel="nofollow">Chambraigne; Now with Wiener Scent! --

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'd almost say that's what you'd want, though.  What it means, in part, is that the guys who came in did better than the guys they moved out - we know Smith outscored Seguin, Soderberg and Eriksson outdid Jagr and Peverley.  A return to form by the core - guys who were here both years - and you'd be talking about a pretty significant net increase.

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I agree with Book.  That's why I think this year's team was better than last year's.  Some people look at the final result (second round loss) and think this team wasn't good enough to win it all.  I disagree.  If the top six played like we know they can, they are still playing.