Playoff Intensity?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Playoff Intensity?

Is it me or is the Bruins/Caps series lacking intensity?  From what I have seen in the other series being played the Bruins and Caps look like a pre-season game.  I am not saying there needs to be fights and cheep stuff that have been prevalent elsewhere.  I just want to see a lot more "want to" from these teams.  Seidenberg had a monster hit on Ovie in game 1, but it just seems that both teams are playing so passively.  The Bruins forecheck needs to step up, I have seen too many guys with their backs to defensemen that are breaking out of their own end, with seemingly time to eat a sandwich.  I hope something lights the fuse tonight, as these two games were pretty non-playoff like.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Playoff Intensity?

i have a feeling things heat up tonight. these next two games will set the series' course, and expect both teams try to take the upper hand early.  the key for the bruins will be to keep the high energy/ physical game up without taking penalties. if they can, they'll be fine. should be a great game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Remember when the Flyers refused to skate the puck up the ice against the TB?  I think what we are seeing is a watered-down version of that.  Both teams are back on defense so quickly that neither really has a chance to be overly physical with the other.  It makes it seem like the intensity isn't there, but it's more a result of play style.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In Response to Re: Playoff Intensity?:
    Remember when the Flyers refused to skate the puck up the ice against the TB?  I think what we are seeing is a watered-down version of that.  Both teams are back on defense so quickly that neither really has a chance to be overly physical with the other.  It makes it seem like the intensity isn't there, but it's more a result of play style.
    Posted by DrCC

Yup, so typical of trap hockey. Game of chess; waiting for the other guy to make a mistake. Booooooring, but can be very effective if executed well. Getting a goal or two early, will force Hunter to open things up a bit I think.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Re: Playoff Intensity? : Yup, so typical of trap hockey. Game of chess; waiting for the other guy to make a mistake. Booooooring, but can be very effective if executed well. Getting a goal or two early, will force Hunter to open things up a bit I think.
    Posted by 4everbruins

I don't think it is just Hunter, the B's are just as guilty!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

In Response to Re: Playoff Intensity? : I don't think it is just Hunter, the B's are just as guilty!
    Posted by MeanE

Yup, Julian can do it just as well as the best of them. He's always been a defense first kind of coach.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

It's a bit of a domino effect, I'd say.  Washington is playing the very defensive, very sit-back-and-hope-for-a-break game plan.  If the Bruins play very aggressively, they risk having Ovechkin or Semin etc. being the player going to other way on a lucky break.  They don't want to take that chance, so they also sit back more than usual.  It's what has happened every time this year when the Bruins have played a team using this strategy.  The trick is going to be either scoring first, or somehow getting Washington to play a run-and-gun game without the Bruins doing it first, or really doing it at all.

That, or coming out aggressive and either converting or having Thomas play lights-out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Playoff Intensity?:
      The Bruins forecheck needs to step up, I have seen too many guys with their backs to defensemen that are breaking out of their own end, with seemingly time to eat a sandwich.  Posted by MeanE

Bruins Forecheck has been non-existent and I would say Boston are not winning one on one battles at about a 90% clip. The refs are not going to call interference when the Caps defenders hold them up at the blueline so once the puck is dumped in Boston forwards need to fight harder to get through.

And for Pete's sake Krejci, Peverley, Marchand and Bergeron stop passing the dang puck back to the point 17 times during one PP it isn't working!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In Response to Playoff Intensity? : Bruins Forecheck has been non-existent and I would say Boston are not winning one on one battles at about a 90% clip. The refs are not going to call interference when the Caps defenders hold them up at the blueline so once the puck is dumped in Boston forwards need to fight harder to get through. And for Pete's sake Krejci, Peverley, Marchand and Bergeron stop passing the dang puck back to the point 17 times during one PP it isn't working!!!!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Peverley?  Isn't he injured? You mean he is back in the line up?  In all seriousness, most of the B's need to pick up their games, but Peverley has not been up to par since his return from injury.  I am hoping that by me calling him out, he will tear it up tonight.  That's usually what happens.  Yes, what I write on BDC does have an impact on player production. Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

See the Kings and Nucks last night?
    That was intensity.
    I don't see that in Bruins Caps.

LA VAN - lots of big hits, lots of them.
    And in our series, only the Seidenberg on Ovie and maybe one or 2 others.
    Sedin got rocked so hard by Brown I think there is brown on Sedins shorts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

See, I have a theory and I was going to start a thread but it seems to fit here.  Hope I'm not jacking your thread MeanE.

Of all of the series, the Bruins-Caps is the most calm.  Fewest penalties per game, fewest per team, in the playoffs.  Jersey v. Florida, Phoenix v. Chicago haven't been the gong show that almost every other series has been.  I'm stunned that the St. Louis v. SJ series is actually worse for PIMs than the Philly v. Pitt series.  There have been 11 game misconducts in 19 total games.  What the...?

Am I wrong or is there a huge irony here?  The NHL is a copycat league.  When the Ducks won with an army of goons, the story was that teams would need to get bigger to counter the goonery.  When Detroit won, no one needed the goons anymore.  All we heard last year was that the Bruins bullied their way to a Cup.  The Eliot Friedman comment on HNIC was telling - after Bergeron and Savard were both smeared with minimal response from the league, Boston stopped looking for the league to protect players and decided they'd take care of their own.  Last year was the result of that all for one mentality.  And other teams are now trying to show that they can bully their way to a Cup.  What they missed - largely because they were distracted by the whining of the Canucks, the Sabres, and whoever the GM was who said the league had a Bruins problem - is that the Bruins are remarkably disciplined until you initiate dirty play.  They aren't angels, and we know who the Bruins's aggressors are, but they aren't a team that plays outside the physical framework of the game.  Most of this year's playoffs has been about going outside the framework of playing hockey to establish that you can be violent.

It's easy to be violent if you're willing to be cheap, dirty, cowardly.  It's a different story to play disciplined, intelligent hockey violently.  That's what the Bruins do better than any other team in the league, but it's discipline first then violence.  So - to the question of playoff intensity - I think the Bruins are actually dictating this level of intensity.  It's a point of control.  They haven't been scoring, but their overall control on the throttle is encouraging.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Most of this year's playoffs has been about going outside the framework of playing hockey to establish that you can be violent. It's easy to be violent if you're willing to be cheap, dirty, cowardly.  It's a different story to play disciplined, intelligent hockey violently.  That's what the Bruins do better than any other team in the league, but it's discipline first then violence.  So - to the question of playoff intensity - I think the Bruins are actually dictating this level of intensity.  It's a point of control.  They haven't been scoring, but their overall control on the throttle is encouraging.
    Posted by Bookboy007

No worries BB!  I agree with what you are saying for the most part.  However, I am not sure if it is the Bruins in control as much as it may be the Caps not "poking the bear".  The Caps seem content to not start something they might not be able to handle.  The one exception that I have noticed is that they are targeting Tyler, you can see them talking to him after the whistle, getting an extra shove or two in on him.  Smart on their part.  Maybe it will be Tyler that will get the boys going when he decides to give it back a little?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Interesting thought Book. Claude knows that his defensemen are lacking speed, even Chara and Seidenberg, so, he wants to control the game, and has been preaching patience. Hunter knows he has the speed in ovie, Semin, and others. He also has toughness in Chimura, Hendricks and others, so, he is countering Claude's fixed game plan, particularly since Holtby has been so solid. However, holtby does leave some juicy rebounds which, so far, our Bruins have missed. Claude needs his forwards to be more observant, and in continuous motion to take advantage of these opportunities. Kreji, Lucic, Seguin, Rolston, all need to step up their game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In Response to Playoff Intensity?:
    Is it me or is the Bruins/Caps series lacking intensity?  From what I have seen in the other series being played the Bruins and Caps look like a pre-season game.  I am not saying there needs to be fights and cheep stuff that have been prevalent elsewhere.  I just want to see a lot more "want to" from these teams.  Seidenberg had a monster hit on Ovie in game 1, but it just seems that both teams are playing so passively.  The Bruins forecheck needs to step up, I have seen too many guys with their backs to defensemen that are breaking out of their own end, with seemingly time to eat a sandwich.  I hope something lights the fuse tonight, as these two games were pretty non-playoff like.
    Posted by MeanE

What im seeing is a lot of Bruin players,who maybee,just aren;t into making another long run,winning the cup is a long war,and i just don't no if there up to it again,that's why teams just don't repeat anymore,back when Montreal and Islanders were winning,the playoffs use to be over early in May,now they go until almost July.dont think players get enough away time.Now don't get me wrong i'm not giving up on them,and i hope i'm wrong.

Sections
Shortcuts