Playoff Referee's - Just an idea

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

Playoff Referee's - Just an idea

I think we can all agree that the refereeing in the NHL is inconsistent at best. Seems like the criteria for a penalty changes from game to game and this is frustrating to watch. Take a look at these boards or go over to TSN.ca and you will find tons of posts about the referee's (usually by the fans of the losing teams). With that said here is my thought:

Why not have the same referee/linesman crew work the entire series ? The quality of the officiating may not necesarily get better but at least the players and fans would know what to expect from game to game and there would probably be a level of consistency (good or bad) as far as the way that the series is called
    Also, Why doesnt the NHL put their ref's and linesmen into crews (during the regular season) the way that MLB does it. If the guys were to work as a team night after night it may improve the way that games are called. And like baseball, at the conclusion of the regular season only the best crews would move on to work the playoffs. I'm sure that these crews would want to be picked for the playoffs as they would continue to be paid for games worked. This would create accountability among the crew to be at their best from night to night.
    I know that the players stop getting paid at the conclusion of the regular season but, does the same hold true for the Ref's ?.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Playoff Referee's - Just an idea

Likely based on biased views. Coaches likely want it changed up.

Personally I agree.  My buddy Scott Cherrey has been doing the linesman job in our series a few games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

A pet peeve of mind is the two referee system on ice.  One is enough, with another reviewing the game from up above.  Conferencing after the game would help out with the consistency.  One referee on ice will create consistency.  Oh well, it won't happen so yes changing the referees around is the best bet.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

In Response to Re: Playoff Referee's - Just an idea:
    [QUOTE]A pet peeve of mind is the two referee system on ice.  One is enough, with another reviewing the game from up above.  Conferencing after the game would help out with the consistency.  One referee on ice will create consistency.  Oh well, it won't happen so yes changing the referees around is the best bet.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

I am in favor of the 2 ref sysyem as the game is so fast. I would also be in favor of a third ref in the press box who's sole purpose would be to call blatant infractions that were missed at ice level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

i would be in favor of the one ref system if the linesman could act in providing assistance.  I hate when the ref outta the play makes a call from the other end. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Problem is, the "league" doesnt think there is a problem.  They NEVER admit when theyre wrong, and theyre wrong on a nightly basis.  Its why the "league" doesnt want goals reviewed.  It has NOTHING to do with slowing down the game (the "delay of game" penalty does that just fine), they dont want to be shown up.  Simple as that.

I watch TONS of hockey games a year (probably well over 200) and the reffing is horrible almost nightly, and calls can change from game to game.

The way the overtime was played the other night, THATS how it needs to be played and called.  Crack down on the diving with fines and suspensions like they said they were going to do, and cut out all the BS ticky-tacky "hooking" calls, and the game & refs are great.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

bigvig,

I agree, let the players decide the game.  I don't agree with your sentiment towards them b/c overall I think they do well.  My problem is a lot of the time they are pressured into making calls by the powers above that often visit games.  You know when the head of officials and Bettman are in the rink that you can cross at least 20 minutes of a game to the PP. 

In OT the only thing that should be called are the obvious and anything that stops a chance at a goal.  Let them hook like they are water skiing.  But don't ruin a good game.  The players want this as well.  But I agree that there is no set balance within the league.  I honestly don't think there can be b/c what you see and what I see may differ completely.  Refs are no different. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Playoff Referee's - Just an idea:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoff Referee's - Just an idea : I am in favor of the 2 ref system as the game is so fast. I would also be in favor of a third ref in the press box who's sole purpose would be to call blatant infractions that were missed at ice level.
    Posted by ed121501[/QUOTE]

I would agree normally.  When the two referee system on the ice was instituted it was for that general reason.  Yet, the problem is that has created inconsistency in the calls.  Thus having a referee reviewing the game from above can with communication after the game in the first year of its inception would be precisely for the reason to create more consistency.  The two way communication could be used from that point with only the referee on the ice making the call with the help as Shup said from the linesmen or the secondary referee in the press box.  In reality this new referee system would be more 21st century and imo more consistent with the calls as one referee would call the game with secondary help if needed.  

Sections
Shortcuts