Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition

Every year it seems at least one team overachieves and does some damage.

Here are my potential sleepers:

East- New Jersey, they have silently put together a decent season and will likely play the Panthers in the first round which may increase their confidence if they beat them. If Brodeur channels his inner hall of fame stature I don't think they will go quietly.

West-San Jose, unlike most years they are not expected to do well. If they make the playoffs (and that is a big if) I can see them doing well due to the lack of expectations.

Any other opinions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition

In Response to Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition:
    [QUOTE]Every year it seems at least one team overachieves and does some damage. Here are my potential sleepers: East- New Jersey, they have silently put together a decent season and will likely play the Panthers in the first round which may increase their confidence if they beat them. If Brodeur channels his inner hall of fame stature I don't think they will go quietly. West-San Jose, unlike most years they are not expected to do well. If they make the playoffs (and that is a big if) I can see them doing well due to the lack of expectations. Any other opinions?
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]
    Jay, I think if the Caps can manage to beat the NYR again they could catch fire. Doubtful, but a possibility until NYR proves they can beat them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Very good point Dez. The Ranger seem to be sleepwalking of late and their offence still relies too much on the likes of Richards and Gaborik. If Washington can shut those two down then they have a good chance. One thing against the Caps, though, is their goaltending. They are going to have to rely on Neuvirth. He needs to become the next Cam Ward or even Steve Penny.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition:
    [QUOTE]Very good point Dez. The Ranger seem to be sleepwalking of late and their offence still relies too much on the likes of Richards and Gaborik. If Washington can shut those two down then they have a good chance. One thing against the Caps, though, is their goaltending. They are going to have to rely on Neuvirth. He needs to become the next Cam Ward or even Steve Penny.
    That's what still worries me about the Caps.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Vokoun scared me more than Neuvirth. We shall see. Besides. Do you get the feeling The Rangers are starting to run Lundqvist ragged? Biron hasn't started a game since the middle of March. Torts may be playing with fire here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Vokoun scared me more than Neuvirth. We shall see. Besides. Do you get the feeling The Rangers are starting to run Lundqvist ragged? Biron hasn't started a game since the middle of March. Torts may be playing with fire here.
    Agreed, but I like it. Maybe Torts gets a big bonus for the President's trophy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Maybe. They do seem to be setting themselves up to be upset in the first round. Probably no Vancouver-esque riots in the streets when this occurs though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In Response to Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition:
    [QUOTE]Every year it seems at least one team overachieves and does some damage. Here are my potential sleepers: East- New Jersey, they have silently put together a decent season and will likely play the Panthers in the first round which may increase their confidence if they beat them. If Brodeur channels his inner hall of fame stature I don't think they will go quietly. West-San Jose, unlike most years they are not expected to do well. If they make the playoffs (and that is a big if) I can see them doing well due to the lack of expectations. Any other opinions?

I agree with NJ. They seem to be doing it all right now. Good GA, and enough scoring to surprise any team that doesn't work hard enough. The wild card is Brodeur. Can he stop giving up the soft goal that has killed him recently? I like what I see in Kovalchuk.

SJ, I don't know. I guess a team that has that much talent is always scary, but they haven't had any runs this year that indicate they can do it. Plus they will have Van or StL to deal with. 

My sleeper is Nashville. I don't know if they are a "classic" sleeper team due to their good season, but I can see them going deep. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

The rangers remind me of the Bs a few years ago when they finished 1st and bummed out in the playoffs. I really like where the standings are now in the east. Bs over ottawa, washing or buffalo over nyr, I see florida upsetting the devils, if you wanna call it that. AND tell me one non philly or penguin fan who doesnt love this matchup. Both teams wil be beat up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition : I agree with NJ. They seem to be doing it all right now. Good GA, and enough scoring to surprise any team that doesn't work hard enough. The wild card is Brodeur. Can he stop giving up the soft goal that has killed him recently? I like what I see in Kovalchuk. SJ, I don't know. I guess a team that has that much talent is always scary, but they haven't had any runs this year that indicate they can do it. Plus they will have Van or StL to deal with.  My sleeper is Nashville. I don't know if they are a "classic" sleeper team due to their good season, but I can see them going deep. 
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

Nashville will be interesting to watch. Funny that bringing back Radulov means they are scoring more but they are only .500 with him in the lineup. Perhaps the team chemistry took a hit?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HalifaxBruins. Show HalifaxBruins's posts

Nashville will win the west and face the Bruins or the pens in the finals

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

This is such and even season that it's hard to call any team a sleeper.  I'll go with Los Angeles.  They have all the needed pieces for post-season success: Two (three) skilled centers, some skill and grit on the wings, solid D built around one excellent one with skill, very good goaltending and a good team commitment to defence.  They also have some playoff experience so the post-season won't be shocking and a proven character leader in Mike Richards.  I don't know if they have the talent level to win it all, but they don't have any holes. I'm not a big fan of their coaching, but Sutter has made it to the finals before.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]This is such and even season that it's hard to call any team a sleeper.  I'll go with Los Angeles.  They have all the needed pieces for post-season success: Two (three) skilled centers, some skill and grit on the wings, solid D built around one excellent one with skill, very good goaltending and a good team commitment to defence.  They also have some playoff experience so the post-season won't be shocking and a proven character leader in Mike Richards.  I don't know if they have the talent level to win it all, but they don't have any holes. I'm not a big fan of their coaching, but Sutter has made it to the finals before.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]Oates, i watched them last night against the Oilers and i'll tell you they aren't very good. The reason they are even leading their division is simple, Jonathan Quick, plus the fact they're in a weak division. If i had a choice i would pick him for the Vezina, he's that good. The Kings can't score goals and have to win a game 1-0 or 2-0 just about every night. I could see them winning a round, depending on who they play but i personally don't see them going anywhere.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

[QUOTE]This is such and even season that it's hard to call any team a sleeper.  I'll go with Los Angeles.  They have all the needed pieces for post-season success: Two (three) skilled centers, some skill and grit on the wings, solid D built around one excellent one with skill, very good goaltending and a good team commitment to defence.  They also have some playoff experience so the post-season won't be shocking and a proven character leader in Mike Richards.  I don't know if they have the talent level to win it all, but they don't have any holes. I'm not a big fan of their coaching, but Sutter has made it to the finals before.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Good point about "post-season shock." This is why I think the Blues are ripe for the beating. But, as you point out, you never know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition : Oates, i watched them last night against the Oilers and i'll tell you they aren't very good. The reason they are even leading their division is simple, Jonathan Quick, plus the fact they're in a weak division. If i had a choice i would pick him for the Vezina, he's that good. The Kings can't score goals and have to win a game 1-0 or 2-0 just about every night. I could see them winning a round, depending on who they play but i personally don't see them going anywhere.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]Perhaps but it isn't just Quick though you are right about Quick having become a great goalie. The Kings play a very solid brand of defense with solid play from their back liners.

If Quick is Quick and the Kings get hot for a few weeks they are a tough match-up.

You have a point about their scoring power but last night's game may have been a bad example. Edmonton got ridiculous play in goal or that game would have been a blow out. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition : Perhaps but it isn't just Quick though you are right about Quick having become a great goalie. The Kings play a very solid brand of defense with solid play from their back liners. If Quick is Quick and the Kings get hot for a few weeks they are a tough match-up. You have a point about their scoring power but last night's game may have been a bad example. Edmonton got ridiculous play in goal or that game would have been a blow out. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, that Edm game might have been a bad example, boy are the Oilers bad, but i just don't see the Kings going far. I guess you can ride a hot goalie and they do play a tight defensive style but in the end you still have to score goals, ask Vancouver. Alot depends on matchups and who knows, i've been wrong before, we'll see. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Vokoun scared me more than Neuvirth. We shall see. Besides. Do you get the feeling The Rangers are starting to run Lundqvist ragged? Biron hasn't started a game since the middle of March. Torts may be playing with fire here.

You've got Ovechkin playing his best hockey in years and Backstrom coming back. I just wouldnt bet my house on them beating the Rangers. Like Dez said, they get past the Rangers, then ya got something.

They havent been consistent at all this year, lots of players underperforming but I dont know if I'd want the 8th seeded Sharks in the first round. Team like that gets a new beginning and players start to play like they were supposed to, all at  the same time, they could upset the Nuks. Remember, this team has had lofty expectations every year only to fall short each time after great regualr seasons...Maybe they flip it this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

I think Colorado should make the playoffs next season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition : You've got Ovechkin playing his best hockey in years and Backstrom coming back. I just wouldnt bet my house on them beating the Rangers. Like Dez said, they get past the Rangers, then ya got something. They havent been consistent at all this year, lots of players underperforming but I dont know if I'd want the 8th seeded Sharks in the first round. Team like that gets a new beginning and players start to play like they were supposed to, all at  the same time, they could upset the Nuks. Remember, this team has had lofty expectations every year only to fall short each time after great regualr seasons...Maybe they flip it this year.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE] Sharks vs. Nucks, love it. Could see an upset for sure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ottawa's been playing very well as of late, and Anderson has been on fire his last couple of starts. I still think Boston can take them in 5 or 6, but an upset wouldn't completely surprise me if they continue their recent play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

I dont think NJ is going anywhere.  They are only 29-28 in regulation this season, and I dont see Brodeur stepping it up with his age and workload. 

I like the Senators, at one point their GGA  was 3.5, now it's 2.8.  I think they are better than people think, but I still wouldn't pick them against the B's. 

Buffalo has been playing well for 20 games or so and has a legitimate chance at a 1st round upset if they can get in.

In the West I like Nashville and SJ, but it's already known that they are good.  My sleeper is Phoenix.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]I dont think NJ is going anywhere.  They are only 29-28 in regulation this season, and I dont see Brodeur stepping it up with his age and workload.  I like the Senators, at one point their GGA  was 3.5, now it's 2.8.  I think they are better than people think, but I still wouldn't pick them against the B's.  Buffalo has been playing well for 20 games or so and has a legitimate chance at a 1st round upset if they can get in. In the West I like Nashville and SJ, but it's already known that they are good.  My sleeper is Phoenix.
    Posted by Eric66[/QUOTE]
    I like this pick, Doan , Whitney and the way Mike Smith has been playing, you never know. Phoenix would be a true sleeper pick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition : Yeah, that Edm game might have been a bad example, boy are the Oilers bad, but i just don't see the Kings going far. I guess you can ride a hot goalie and they do play a tight defensive style but in the end you still have to score goals, ask Vancouver. Alot depends on matchups and who knows, i've been wrong before, we'll see. 
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]There's two ways to look at the Vancouver example. Vancouver clearly had more firepower on their top two lines and the PP than the Bruins did and by a wide margin.

The Bruins rode a hot goalie and scored in bunches off of good defensive-offensive transitions. Vancouver for all their firepower got shutdown by Thomas who in many of those games got peppered with solid scoring chances.

Now I live in LA so perhaps I am a bit biased, but the team is very solid defensively, has a great young goalie having a breakout season and some skill players on  offense that haven't jelled very often this year.

They could be a very tough draw, they are a sleeper because if Richards and Kopitar get hot their defensive play makes them very dangerous.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Kings have Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Williams, Brown and Doughty. There is a big difference between can't score goals and haven't scored goals. The Kings haven't scored many goals this year, but I certainly think they are able to.  But of course we are talking about dark horses here. If they had been great offensively and defensively this year they would be a favorite, not an underdog with the potential to upset. I don't expect them to dominate, but think they might surprise.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition : Oates, i watched them last night against the Oilers and i'll tell you they aren't very good. The reason they are even leading their division is simple, Jonathan Quick, plus the fact they're in a weak division. If i had a choice i would pick him for the Vezina, he's that good. The Kings can't score goals and have to win a game 1-0 or 2-0 just about every night. I could see them winning a round, depending on who they play but i personally don't see them going anywhere.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoff Sleepers: 2012 Edition : There's two ways to look at the Vancouver example. Vancouver clearly had more firepower on their top two lines and the PP than the Bruins did and by a wide margin. The Bruins rode a hot goalie and scored in bunches off of good defensive-offensive transitions. Vancouver for all their firepower got shutdown by Thomas who in many of those games got peppered with solid scoring chances. Now I live in LA so perhaps I am a bit biased, but the team is very solid defensively, has a great young goalie having a breakout season and some skill players on  offense that haven't jelled very often this year. They could be a very tough draw, they are a sleeper because if Richards and Kopitar get hot their defensive play makes them very dangerous.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
    Fair enough.