Playoffs!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Playoffs!

In Response to Re: Playoffs!:
    [QUOTE]People in the hockey world rave about the work PC is doing.  The signings and draftings are good, the trades even better.  Kampfer and Boychuck were had for peanuts, dumping Kobasew for an early second rounder, the Kessel bounty, Horton was a great pickup and Campbell an amazing throw-in.  His deadline deals were applauded for addressing the B's playoff needs.  Ryder is an easy 20 goal man, the only reason he's riding the pine is because he is being played out of a job by Marchand, Seguin and Peverly.  When you factor in the Bruins sellouts and high TV ratings, and the likeability/entertainment value of players like Lucic, Thomas, Chara and Seguin among fans, PC is about as safe as they get.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Mr. Jacob$ is that you?

The playoffs are a reality, so now you are happy.  Typical.

Please post evidence of people raving about Chiarelli.   I see a GM trying to put his plan into action, but with no results yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoffs! : Mr. Jacob$ is that you? The playoffs are a reality, so now you are happy.  Typical. Please post evidenceof people raving about Chiarelli.   I see a GM trying to put his plan into action, but with no results yet.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

What is this, a court of law?  I've seen interviews of people who know hockey who say he is doing a great job.  I can't produce them as "evidence".  What would make you happy, other than winning the cup?  I'm sorry, there are too many teams trying to do the same thing and too much parity with the cap to say win it all or you are a failure.  That's not realistic.  So, what  is a reasonable marker of success for a GM?  Produce a team that is capable of winning it all would be first.  Done.  Create a culture where top players want to play omn your team. Done.  Stock your team with assets to ensure long term success.  Done.  Recognize when assets best serve your purpose elsewhere.  Done.  This is a no-brainer debate.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Why is BBReins always worse than negative?Must be his coolaid. PC has been lauded by a variety of hockey publications, and the results indicate his quality and strength. Kelly/Seguin/Peverly are finding chemistry and becoming a solid line. Much better than anything Wheels was able to contribute. Sure PC went with coach Claude on Ryder indicating his support for his{then] new coach. Grantd Lewis was a failure, but who knew that he was soooo disconnected. Took guts to admit and correct failure on PC's part. The league has caught up with Claude's "system" just as the league caught up with Le Maire's trap. Claude has another year to become more flexible, and should have it [ I really hate to admit it} while PC concentrates on the defense [Keberle plus}. I really hope REX retires with accolades; Thornton is assigned to Public Relations exclusively; Ryder fades away;Boychuck and probably Ference are moved. Other than that this is a good team

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

You are so jaded.  Seldom do you make a post that doesn't use the word 'Jacobs'.  If you want to see people gush about the work PC is doing, watch a non-Boston telecast of a Bruins game.  Look at polls of who fared the best on deadline day.  He's doing great work.  Regardless of the outcome of the playoffs, PC has done everything in advance to help the Bruins win.  I approve of most of his moves so far.  It they don't pan out, he will have to adjust, but few people are saying at this stage he has done things wrong.  That's the best you can do without a time machine.  And you talk about handicaping contracts, the only one you can complain about is Ryder.  When you factor in Peverly and Rechi, he's got 3 20-50 point men averaging just over the league average ($2mil) in salary.  That is great cap managent and is how the Bruins have such good depth.  The good more than makes up for the bad.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoffs! : Mr. Jacob$ is that you? The playoffs are a reality, so now you are happy.  Typical. Please post evidence of people raving about Chiarelli.   I see a GM trying to put his plan into action, but with no results yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Why is BBReins always worse than negative?Must be his coolaid. PC has been lauded by a variety of hockey publications, and the results indicate his quality and strength. Kelly/Seguin/Peverly are finding chemistry and becoming a solid line. Much better than anything Wheels was able to contribute. Sure PC went with coach Claude on Ryder indicating his support for his{then] new coach. Grantd Lewis was a failure, but who knew that he was soooo disconnected. Took guts to admit and correct failure on PC's part. The league has caught up with Claude's "system" just as the league caught up with Le Maire's trap. Claude has another year to become more flexible, and should have it [ I really hate to admit it} while PC concentrates on the defense [Keberle plus}. I really hope REX retires with accolades; Thornton is assigned to Public Relations exclusively; Ryder fades away;Boychuck and probably Ference are moved. Other than that this is a good team
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

All good points, Bogie, and as I've said I'm --mostly--a fan of what PC has done.

BUT at what point in his tenure do we start to judge his performance on results.
    The one thing that really irked me about PC was when he trotted out that ridiculous line about making the 2nd round of the playoffs 2 out of 3 years, as if that's an accomplishment to be applauded for a team that hasn't got out of round 2 in almost 20 years and has no Stanley Cup in nearly 40?

Sooner or later--and this may be totally unfair to PC, but it's his burden to bear (so to speak)that this organization--no matter WHO is GM, NEEDS to show its fans  better than round 2 of the playoffs....(the ultimate standard SHOULD BE, as it is with 90% of franchises everywhere, a championshop...but Bruins fans have been so starved for even a sniff of the Cup they;re willing to lower expectations).

We can't keep pointing to nice trades made and good intentions if the payoff isn't there.....can we?

I guess what I'm asking is: when does PC get to start worrying about his job if results don;'t come? I don;t think saying THIS year would be entirely fair--but if it's more of the same next? yessir.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoffs! : What is this, a court of law?  I've seen interviews of people who know hockey who say he is doing a great job.  I can't produce them as "evidence".  What would make you happy, other than winning the cup?    
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Nothing!  Win the Cup!

If Ryder doesn't produce, for example, who do we blame?  Ryder or Chia for overpaying for a questionable producer to begin with?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]You are so jaded.  Seldom do you make a post that doesn't use the word 'Jacobs'.  If you want to see people gush about the work PC is doing, watch a non-Boston telecast of a Bruins game.  Look at polls of who fared the best on deadline day.  He's doing great work.  Regardless of the outcome of the playoffs, PC has done everything in advance to help the Bruins win.  I approve of most of his moves so far.  It they don't pan out, he will have to adjust, but few people are saying at this stage he has done things wrong.  That's the best you can do without a time machine.  And you talk about handicaping contracts, the only one you can complain about is Ryder.  When you factor in Peverly and Rechi, he's got 3 20-50 point men averaging just over the league average ($2mil) in salary.  That is great cap managent and is how the Bruins have such good depth.  The good more than makes up for the bad. In Response to Re: Playoffs! :

Don't look now, but your response basically entails everthing but mentioning the words "genuinely good enough to win a Cup".

What good are accolades of Chiarelli rearranging the chairs if the results aren't there?

You are convinced.

I am not as much.

That's all.

You are ok with them qualifying for the playoffs. 

I want to see with my own eyes, them steamroll into the Conf Finals with a legit chance to actually make it to a Cup.

And MAYBE...............wait for it.....For once show us they are good enough to do it.

Even if they lost in 7 games in SC Cup Finals to a Detroit or Vancouver, I could tip my cap and live with it.

Some of you just seem to be more into praising Chiarelli for cleaning up prior messes and some of his own v.s. actually wanting this team to get the best from ownership on down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoffs! : All good points, Bogie, and as I've said I'm --mostly--a fan of what PC has done. BUT at what point in his tenure do we start to judge his performance on results . The one thing that really irked me about PC was when he trotted out that ridiculous line about making the 2nd round of the playoffs 2 out of 3 years, as if that's an accomplishment to be applauded for a team that hasn't got out of round 2 in almost 20 years and has no Stanley Cup in nearly 40? Sooner or later--and this may be totally unfair to PC, but it's his burden to bear (so to speak)that this organization--no matter WHO is GM, NEEDS to show its fans  better than round 2 of the playoffs....(the ultimate standard SHOULD BE, as it is with 90% of franchises everywhere, a championshop...but Bruins fans have been so starved for even a sniff of the Cup they;re willing to lower expectations). We can't keep pointing to nice trades made and good intentions if the payoff isn't there.....can we? I guess what I'm asking is: when does PC get to start worrying about his job if results don;'t come? I don;t think saying THIS year would be entirely fair--but if it's more of the same next? yessir.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

The last thing the fans need here is a Sindenesque lecture. 

Don't just say it, do it.  And don't say it EVERY YEAR. We don't care what your opinion is of what you did to be pretty good or mediocre.

How much more desire do you need as a player here? I totally predicted that egg on Saturday because that is what they do. Lay eggs at home, especially after an emotional win.

Then, they go on the road and play well. They need both.

Who knows, maybe it clicks now?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

PC ought to be very safe regardless.

It is a GM's job to get a team to the playoffs every year and keep restocking talent so they can make a run at the Cup.  Chiarelli has done that.

Once the playoffs start, it is all about the execution of the Coach and the players, and has little to do with the GM.

Chia has put them in position and assembled a very good team that will win the division.  If they collapse in the playoffs, don't blame him.  Blame Julien.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

So, you  have no issue with Ryder or his trade deadline acquisitions or moves being his doing?

That makes no sense. Of course the players he puts on the team matters.

It's a good thing they have accomplished Step 1.  No doubt, but we know without step 2 and 3, they are as bad or worse off than last year's situation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]PC ought to be very safe regardless. It is a GM's job to get a team to the playoffs every year and keep restocking talent so they can make a run at the Cup.  Chiarelli has done that. Once the playoffs start, it is all about the execution of the Coach and the players, and has little to do with the GM. Chia has put them in position and assembled a very good team that will win the division.  If they collapse in the playoffs, don't blame him.  Blame Julien.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Yes, Fletch but the key phrase here is "make a run at the Cup." I don't believe  1st and 2nd round exits qualify, and that's all PC has given Bruins fans so far in his tenure.

Maybe this year is different, but if it's not, why does only Julien get the blame in your view? Maybe it's both their faults, but the GM must bear some rsponsibility for putting together teams that don't get past round 2. Can't put all that on the coach.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Exactly. "Make a run at the Cup" is very subjective.  A legit run to me is knowing you have the goaltending, special teams, coaching, intangibles, the ability to roll 4 good/great lines, etc.

You know, the stuff we see every SC Champ do for 4 rounds when they hold the trophy at the end.

Jacobs version of "making a run" is making the playoffs and then crossing your fingers for more.

Until these guys show they can play with the Detroits, Vancouvers, etc, this still needs to be shown.  Shown. Not said.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Of course we all want the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup, but whether they do or not this year should not determine if PC is doing a good job.  He keeps improving the team, makes mostly good moves.  Therefore, he is a good GM.  If his work continues on this path, and they have a little luck, then eventually they will win.  It's not about being complacent, it's about being realistic.  I am not satisfied by just making the playoffs.  There was pleanty of cursing coming out of me when 3-0 uh-oh happened last year.  But there was more cursing coming out of me when Krejci went down, because I knew with that they were done.  It happens.  By your logic 29 GM's should be fired every year.  When Mike Ilitch baught the Red Wings in '82 his management team told him it would take 10 years to win it all.  He was not happy, but agreed it would take time to build it the right way.  It took 15.  Since the management change 5 years ago the Bruins have been doing things right.  They might win this year, they might not, but I agree with their decisions, they have a bight future with lots of young talent, and I enjoy the team on the ice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

such an old tired argument....1) i like where this team is headed, and 2)i don't want to hear it until they win a cup....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Very true, I don't know why I bother, because it goes nowhere.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]Of course we all want the Bruins to win the Stanley Cup, but whether they do or not this year should not determine if PC is doing a good job.  He keeps improving the team, makes mostly good moves.  Therefore, he is a good GM.  If his work continues on this path, and they have a little luck, then eventually they will win.  It's not about being complacent, it's about being realistic.  I am not satisfied by just making the playoffs.  There was pleanty of cursing coming out of me when 3-0 uh-oh happened last year.  But there was more cursing coming out of me when Krejci went down, because I knew with that they were done.  It happens.  By your logic 29 GM's should be fired every year.  When Mike Ilitch baught the Red Wings in '82 his management team told him it would take 10 years to win it all.  He was not happy, but agreed it would take time to build it the right way.  It took 15.  Since the management change 5 years ago the Bruins have been doing things right.  They might win this year, they might not, but I agree with their decisions, they have a bight future with lots of young talent, and I enjoy the team on the ice.

That's why I said after next year, he'll be judged for all of this, either good or bad.

It depends on how they do in the playoffs, in my opinion.  Even the biggest homers will be annoyed beyond belief if they blow it in Round 1.

If they go one and done or even 2 and done, Julien is probably gone.

If that were to happen next year, maybe on the heels of a poor FA period for Chia (failing to sign Kaberle, etc), and Seguin doesn't emerge in 2011/2012, expect him to be under fire.

For him to not be held accountable just because he's an improvement over Mike O'Connell is ludicrous.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]it goes nowhere.

Sort of like the Bruins in April/May.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

what a miserable person you are BB...so sad

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]what a miserable person you are BB...so sad
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

I am actually a happy person.  My disappointment with one topic as a sports fan has nothing to do with my life.

If I chose to live my life vicariously through a window known as the Bruins, you'd be correct. But, I don't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoffs! : Exactly! The last thing the fans need here is a Sindenesque lecture.  Don't just say it, do it.  And don't say it EVERY YEAR. We don't care what your opinion is of what you did to be pretty good or mediocre. How much more desire do you need as a player here? I totally predicted that egg on Saturday because that is what they do. Lay eggs at home, especially after an emotional win. Then, they go on the road and play well. They need both. Who knows, maybe it clicks now?
    I don't consider a 1-0 loss to a desperate NYR squad to be laying an egg.NYR played what looked to be the exact same CJ-type system against us and it certainly made for boring hockey but it's not like they played awful.They had 26 SOG and likely more than that blocked on the way to the net.Sometimes you've just got to tip your cap to the effort made by the opponents.Not every loss is a stinker.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoffs! : Yes, Fletch but the key phrase here is "make a run at the Cup." I don't believe  1st and 2nd round exits qualify, and that's all PC has given Bruins fans so far in his tenure. Maybe this year is different, but if it's not, why does only Julien get the blame in your view? Maybe it's both their faults, but the GM must bear some rsponsibility for putting together teams that don't get past round 2. Can't put all that on the coach.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and I agree with that point, but really don't think that the "best" built team wins the Cup every year.  Lots of times, I think the best assembled teams don't win because they are out played by teams with better execution, less injuries, a hot playoff goalie, a peaking 2nd line, luck, calls, whatever.

I just think that when a team wins their division, seems well-built, balanced, and makes some good deadline pick-ups...than the GM has essentially done their job.  In the Bruins case, they have an insane goal deferential this season, and they have done it all without the guy who was supposed to be the #1 center all season.  Chiarelli has built the team well.

I think the most likely reasons they could fall apart and lose in the playoffs would be: goaltending collapses, key injuries (Chara, Krejci, Lucic, etc), getting out-coached by another team, running into an insanely hot goaltender, etc.

If any of the above happens, I don't think you can go back and evaluate Chia differently -- he has played his hand now and can't prevent any of the above.

Obviously if there are glaring weaknesses in the playoffs that are exposed, and you think he could have fixed them, under the salary cap, this year, than you could indeed blame him.

I just think he has done very well to assemble this team, and if they lose early, I think it will be because of a lack of execution, not a lack of talent.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

True. That's fair. I guess my point was, I expected a loss to the Rangers after an emotional win.

Just keep in mind, when the playoffs start, those kinds of losses will hurt.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Exactly. "Make a run at the Cup" is very subjective.  A legit run to me is knowing you have the goaltending, special teams, coaching, intangibles, the ability to roll 4 good/great lines, etc. You know, the stuff we see every SC Champ do for 4 rounds when they hold the trophy at the end. Jacobs version of "making a run" is making the playoffs and then crossing your fingers for more. Until these guys show they can play with the Detroits, Vancouvers, etc, this still needs to be shown.  Shown. Not said.

BBR, We've debated this so many times it just seems tirelessly redundant to on and on...

I focus on the 80% that Chiarelli has done well; you focus on the 20% he hasn't

You bring up Jacobs in every post; I never think about the guy anymore.

No need to re-cover the same ground.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]True. That's fair. I guess my point was, I expected a loss to the Rangers after an emotional win. Just keep in mind, when the playoffs start, those kinds of losses will hurt.
    Emotionally,I think it's easier to get over a loss like the NYR game than it would be to get past an OT loss where they gave everything they had.Let's just say that Boston at least knows they can improve upon that performance.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Playoffs! : Emotionally,I think it's easier to get over a loss like the NYR game than it would be to get past a an OT loss where they gave everything they had.Let's just say that Boston at least knows they can improve upon that performance.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I wasn't unhappy with their effort at all in that Rangers loss. If not for that terrible non-offsides call that first goal wouldn't even have happened, and I very much like the way the B's stormed the gate in the 3rd to try and even up.

Only thing that worries me is facing that Rangers team in the playoffs b/c Henrik can be just as hot as TT (assuming NYR don;t run him into the ground b4 playoffs start...) Those 1-goal nail-biting games drive me nuts, but better get used to it--that's often how playoffs go.

Sections
Shortcuts