Playoffs...I did the math so it must be true

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Playoffs...I did the math so it must be true

Around that time of year when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Right now it's:

Atlantic: 2. BOS (91) / 3. TOR (78) / 4. MTL (77)

Metro: 1. PIT (92) / 5. NYR (74) / 6. CLB (73)

Wild Cards: 7. TB (75) / 8. PHI (73)

Out of it: 9. DET (71) / 10. NJ (71) / 11. WSH (70) / 12. OTT (68)

With +/- 15 games to go, and looking at the remaining schedules, home vs away, back-to-back, etc, time for some fun with point predictions. Here's my take:

Atlantic: 1. BOS (114) / 4. TB (95) / 6. TOR (94)

Metro: 2. PIT (112) / 3. NYR (95) / 5. NJ (94)

Wild Cards: 7. CLB (93) / 8. MTL (90)

Out of it: 9. PHI (88) / 10. DET (84) / 11. OTT (81) / 12. WSH (78)

So Boston, Pitsburgh, NYR, Columbus and Toronto hold steady, Lighting and Devils make a run on the backs of favorable schedules and solid goaltending, Philly and Detroit trail off, Washington nose dives (brutal schedule) and Montreal just dives...low enough for the 8 spot.

Who's up for BOS/MTL, PIT/CLB, NYR/TOR, TB/NJ in Round 1?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Playoffs...I did the math so it must be true

In response to asmaha's comment:

Around that time of year when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Right now it's:

Atlantic: 2. BOS (91) / 3. TOR (78) / 4. MTL (77)

Metro: 1. PIT (92) / 5. NYR (74) / 6. CLB (73)

Wild Cards: 7. TB (75) / 8. PHI (73)

Out of it: 9. DET (71) / 10. NJ (71) / 11. WSH (70) / 12. OTT (68)

With +/- 15 games to go, and looking at the remaining schedules, home vs away, back-to-back, etc, time for some fun with point predictions. Here's my take:

Atlantic: 1. BOS (114) / 4. TB (95) / 6. TOR (94)

Metro: 2. PIT (112) / 3. NYR (95) / 5. NJ (94)

Wild Cards: 7. CLB (93) / 8. MTL (90)

Out of it: 9. PHI (88) / 10. DET (84) / 11. OTT (81) / 12. WSH (78)

So Boston, Pitsburgh, NYR, Columbus and Toronto hold steady, Lighting and Devils make a run on the backs of favorable schedules and solid goaltending, Philly and Detroit trail off, Washington nose dives (brutal schedule) and Montreal just dives...low enough for the 8 spot.

Who's up for BOS/MTL, PIT/CLB, NYR/TOR, TB/NJ in Round 1?

Anything that has a Boston-Montreal playoff scenario in it, I am up for.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I could see Philly catch the Scabs for the last spot as they have 3 games in hand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Regardless of the playoff matchups,does anyone know how the playoff seeding works? I understand the 2 division winners play the wildcards and 2nd & 3rd in each division play each other,but what happens in the next round? High seed vs low seed?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Regardless of the playoff matchups,does anyone know how the playoff seeding works? I understand the 2 division winners play the wildcards and 2nd & 3rd in each division play each other,but what happens in the next round? High seed vs low seed?

My understanding is the next round is between Division winners first. But technically it looks thier could be a posibility of all winners after first round could be from one division. Then I would think it would be by seed as you sajested.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsfannny. Show bsfannny's posts

You're correct 50. For that reason, the NYR/TOR and TB/NJ scenarios that Asmaha outlines cannot happen. The only crossover, so to speak, happens in the first round with respect to the wildcards. A wildcard team can cross over to play the winner of the other division within the conference, based on seeding. Division 2-3 seeds must play each other. 

According to all the reports I read after the format was announced, there is no reseeding. Wildcard teams - if they knock off the division winner they are playing in the first round - remain in that division, so to speak, and would play the winner of the 2-3 series of the division they started in.  Example with wildcard crossover:

Rd 1

Metro Division

Pens (1 overall in conference)-Habs (lowest WC, therby the 8 seed)

NYR-PHL 

Atlantic Division

Bruins (1 in division, 2nd in conf) - Columbus (first WC team, therby the 7 seed)

Leafs-Tampa

Second Round

Metro Division

NYR-Habs

Atlantic Division

Bruins-Tampa

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

They stay in Division in the second round, and the wild card team plays out of the Division they were seeded with in the first round - so the winner of Division leader vs. wild card plays winner of 2 vs 3.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:

My understanding is the next round is between Division winners first. But technically it looks thier could be a posibility of all winners after first round could be from one division. Then I would think it would be by seed as you sajested.

What happens if a wild card knocks off a division winner?It must be be a high seed vs low seed scenario.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to bsfannny's comment:

You're correct 50. For that reason, the NYR/TOR and TB/NJ scenarios that Asmaha outlines cannot happen. The only crossover, so to speak, happens in the first round with respect to the wildcards. A wildcard team can cross over to play the winner of the other division within the conference, based on seeding. Division 2-3 seeds must play each other. 

According to all the reports I read after the format was announced, there is no reseeding. Wildcard teams - if they knock off the division winner they are playing in the first round - remain in that division, so to speak, and would play the winner of the 2-3 series of the division they started in.  Example with wildcard crossover:

Rd 1

Metro Division

NYR-PHL 

Atlantic Division

Bruins (1 in division, 2nd in conf) - Columbus (first WC team, therby the 7 seed)

Leafs-Tampa

Second Round

Metro Division

NYR-Habs

Atlantic Division

Bruins-Tampa

Ok,got it,thanks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to red75's comment:

They stay in Division in the second round, and the wild card team plays out of the Division they were seeded with in the first round - so the winner of Division leader vs. wild card plays winner of 2 vs 3.

Thanks Red.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Rd 1

Metro Division

NYR-PHL 

Atlantic Division

Leafs-Tampa

Second Round

Metro Division

NYR-Habs

Atlantic Division

Bruins-Tampa

I like how you snuck your picks in,Scabs over Pitt eh?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NBbruinsfan. Show NBbruinsfan's posts

Finially an explaination that makes complete scents to me. I was never sure by what I had read in the past.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Rd 1

Metro Division

NYR-PHL 

Atlantic Division

Leafs-Tampa

Second Round

Metro Division

NYR-Habs

Atlantic Division

Bruins-Tampa

Are you sure about the BJ's and Habs crossing over?  I was under the impression that the only time a team switches division was if you had a scenario where 5 teams from one division and 3 teams from the other got in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Apparently a single point tonight by Boston and they are officially in the playoffs.  That somehow seems so early.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:

Apparently a single point tonight by Boston and they are officially in the playoffs.  That somehow seems so early.

Clinching in March does seem soon but if that's the case, good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Scratch that-  the sportsclubstats people either have a bug or have changed their notations on me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I like a Montreal-Toronto first round.  I'd love watching them kill each other and the hype would be hilarious.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Scratch that-  the sportsclubstats people either have a bug or have changed their notations on me.

Yeah,can't be,team in 9th spot has 15 games left for a possible 30 pts and are only 20 pts back of the B's,must be a glitch. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I like a Montreal-Toronto first round.  I'd love watching them kill each other and the hype would be hilarious.

Boy would it be over-the-top,would love it.Lots of drama and fans traveling back and forth for the games,CBC would go nuts as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Boy would it be over-the-top,would love it.Lots of drama and fans traveling back and forth for the games,CBC would go nuts as well.

One or the other whoever wins the series would come out with their little noses shining and hearts glowing full of Stanley Cup hopes -

only to get steam rolled by the Bruins!  What joy!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I see Columbus and Philadelphia as deeper teams. I think they hold off New Jersey and Detroit. Still puzzled at Ken Holland's lack of aggressiveness at the deadline.

Just brutal

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

n response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I see Columbus and Philadelphia as deeper teams. I think they hold off New Jersey and Detroit. Still puzzled at Ken Holland's lack of aggressiveness at the deadline.

Just brutal

You see!When you do one af those azz first checks ala Subban & Yemelin you can't see who your hitting! Celine should know better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to NBbruinsfan's comment:

Finially an explaination that makes complete scents to me. I was never sure by what I had read in the past.

Can you adjust please, I know what you mean, but it looks smelly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to goodnewsbears's comment:

Are you sure about the BJ's and Habs crossing over?  I was under the impression that the only time a team switches division was if you had a scenario where 5 teams from one division and 3 teams from the other got in.

I had the same question.  I like the idea that the weaker wildcard plays the better division winner better, but I thought the only crossover was in the event that the 5th place team in one division had more points than the 4th place team in the other.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsow. Show bruinsow's posts

92 is the projected number of points to make the playoffs. That was probably what you heard.

Sections
Shortcuts