Please let it be Rask vs. Vancouver

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Please let it be Rask vs. Vancouver

This isn't a Rask v. Thomas debate, but rather a realization that it would benefit the Bruins strategically for Rask to play against the Canucks. In fact, I want to see him out there against any of the top Western Conf teams.

* We all know Thomas is the playoff starter and #1a goaltender until further notice. I don't want any potential SCF opponent to play him and play well. He's got a "we can't beat him" mojo going on that's best left untested until needed.

* Thomas is already in Vancouver's head. There is nothing to gain from having him in there again. There is some to lose, though. A good outing by Vancouver against their goalie nemesis could help them get past the mental block if these teams were to meet again.

* Rask would have something to prove, as would the whole Bruins team. The Cup win wasn't just about Thomas standing on his head, but the Bruins are the better team no matter who is in net. Could be another strategic way to make sure everyone has their heads in the game and something to prove.

* In his last 5 starts, Rask is 5-0 with a .992 SV% and 0.25 GAA. Are you kidding me? Why not play the guy in a critical game and let him shine?

* A high-profile start like this would be another signal from management that they want Rask around long-term, and would help provide even more common ground for an extension. He can't just be given the doormats to play against or the second team on a back-to-back.

So why not? How fun would it be for Boston to shut everyone up once again...all the naysayers who think the only reason the Bs won was because of Thomas would get a heaping pile of reality to have the "backup" pitch a shutout...and that's not an unrealistic goal given his play.

What do ye say?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Please let it be Rask vs. Vancouver

Personally I'd rather have TT get the start, shut them out, and keep them wondering if they can ever beat him! 

Although a win for the B's regardless of who is in net should have the same affect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

good argument asmaha. i see your point, and part of me agrees with you. the other part- realizes it wasn't TT that ran luongo out of goal in boston- it was the 20-whatever goal differential at home. TT didn't win those games, the offense did. TT only won 1 of 4 at van, and heck yes, it was the most important one of all. the bruins don't need to prove anything to anybody, definitely not vancouver(who cares what they think?) let THEM treat this like it's the biggest game of the year. the bruins will just show up for work. all that being said, i would see no problem with starting tuukka, he deserves it just as much as TT. check the stats!!!! it's a no lose no matter who's in net. it's a game in january- worth 2 points. that's all it is

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Tuukka has been a beast, but I kinda want to see Thomas take the ice, tire pump in hand, and keep stoning the 'Nucks while 18,000 people chant 'Luoooongo'.

That will never get old, and it might be best to do everything possible to keep 'the voices' in Luongo's head.  He might be drooling and sucking his thumb by the end of the first...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Like the idea ash, but my only concern is this. If Rask does start. That will be 4 out of the last 6. TT needs to get into a groove as well. Not blaming him in the Dallas game, but TT's past record shows he's not as effective when he sits for awhile. This game is a nothing game for the B's. This game means a lot more to the Canucks. Although I do appreciate what you are saying, I think TT needs this start more than Rask does at this time. However, I also think ANY goalie who comes off a shut-out deserves the next start. Either way I'm fine with whomever CJ decides.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think it says something major psychologically,

"meh, our back up goalie can handle you guys just fine"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

can you imagine if the bruins score in the first minute or two? bobby lou who will fold like a lawn chair. i'm giggling just thinking about it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Where is TuukkaFall in all of this debate I wonder?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Who cares who they start as long as they win... so far I have three good bottles of wine bet on this game. ;)

But to asmaha's point, playing Rask against the Western champs, may be good for management as well. I know playoff teams usually stick with one goalie the whole run, but we have the talent that makes that not necessary. A great showing by Rask could prove that. If it potentially gives the Bs a tactical advantage come the post-season, go for it.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Nooooooooooo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

TT for me....Asmaha your putting way to much thought into this. As you mentioned 5-0 in the last 5....He's already shining.

I believe the B's will throw more games TT's way with a month prior to playoffs. That will get him back in the groove and prepare him for the playoffs. TT will not be tired come playoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Please let it be Rask vs. Vancouver:
    TT for me....Asmaha your putting way to much thought into this. As you mentioned 5-0 in the last 5....He's already shining. I believe the B's will throw more games TT's way with a month prior to playoffs. That will get him back in the groove and prepare him for the playoffs. TT will not be tired come playoffs.
    Posted by bgrif008

Maybe you don't put enough thought into it. I think Asm had a great post. And if you think CJ will start TT,because of last year & Rask is still doing what he's doing? You may have rude awakening. BOTH goalie's have been amazing & won't surprise me one bit if CJ splits them in the play-offs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Either will do just fine... I'll take the guy who deflects shots to the corner with his head.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Either will do just fine... I'll take the guy who deflects shots to the corner with his head.
    Posted by JWensink

That's both of them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsIn4. Show BruinsIn4's posts

Gotta keep them both fresh, but give both of them enough starts.  I say it's TT's turn.  Totally ignore the fact that it's the Canuckleheads coming to town.  Just B's Business as usual.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

asmaha, i agree with every word you just wrote

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Not a big debate is correct.  Tuuka needs to play a big time team, Vancouver would be perfect.  Afterwards play TT for several games to get his focus back.  My brother said to me that the decision was probably made by Thomas several games back.  It is a luxury to have two solid goaltenders.  Please no more trade Tuuka threads!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In response to "Please let it be Rask vs. Vancouver":
    This isn't a Rask v. Thomas debate, but rather a realization that it would benefit the Bruins strategically for Rask to play against the Canucks. In fact, I want to see him out there against any of the top Western Conf teams. * We all know Thomas is the playoff starter and #1a goaltender until further notice. I don't want any potential SCF opponent to play him and play well. He's got a "we can't beat him" mojo going on that's best left untested until needed. * Thomas is already in Vancouver's head. There is nothing to gain from having him in there again. There is some to lose, though. A good outing by Vancouver against their goalie nemesis could help them get past the mental block if these teams were to meet again. * Rask would have something to prove, as would the whole Bruins team. The Cup win wasn't just about Thomas standing on his head, but the Bruins are the better team no matter who is in net. Could be another strategic way to make sure everyone has their heads in the game and something to prove. * In his last 5 starts, Rask is 5-0 with a .992 SV% and 0.25 GAA. Are you kidding me? Why not play the guy in a critical game and let him shine? * A high-profile start like this would be another signal from management that they want Rask around long-term, and would help provide even more common ground for an extension. He can't just be given the doormats to play against or the second team on a back-to-back. So why not? How fun would it be for Boston to shut everyone up once again...all the naysayers who think the only reason the Bs won was because of Thomas would get a heaping pile of reality to have the "backup" pitch a shutout...and th at's not an unrealistic goal given his play. What do ye say? Posted by asmaha
    I agree, i was thinking this last nite and since the canuckleheads know thomas so well, why not throw Rask at them

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Good points by the original poster but If I am the coach I am playing my best and my number one and despite the year tuukka is having our "ace" is still Tim Thomas. You know the competor Thomas is he wants to play in this game. Besides I would love to see Timmy defend his crease if some nucks try to play raindeer  games again!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I don't care who starts, just wanna see them spank the sisters & co. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

In Response to Re: Please let it be Rask vs. Vancouver : That's both of them.
    Posted by red75

Yeah. You need to be more specific JW...:)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

....and it seems that VAN is already pulling the ol' switcharoo. Playing Schneider instead of Lou. I can hear the excuses already....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

....and it seems that VAN is already pulling the ol' switcharoo. Playing Schneider instead of Lou. I can hear the excuses already....
    Posted by asmaha

Well he's a Marblehead boy and a BC grad... why not give him the start in front of his family and friends? He's just as good as Lou, you're not costing your team anything, but giving a team member the game of a lifetime.

Sections
Shortcuts