Pouliot vs. Caron?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

Pouliot vs. Caron?

Just noticed that Caron was a healthy scratch for tonights game.  Is it just me, or does this make no sense?  From what I've seen, Pouliot has done nothing to earn the spot while Caron has really been putting his game together as of late.

For a team where ice time is generally earned, I see this as being the opposite.  Pouliot was supposed to be our no risk project and the assumption was that if he didn't pull his weight then we could walk away.  Almost a quarter of the way through the season I've seen nothing.  People compare him to Blake Wheeler, but I see Blake Wheeler without the offensive skill.  He's like a chicken with his head cut off out there.  A for effort, C (or worse) for execution -- even his goals are pretty sh1tty.  

Meanwhile Caron has been strong on the puck, screening goalies, tipping shots and all the other little things that you want out of him, not to mention a pretty sweet pass on Thornton's recent goal.

So....when does the project end?  Why is Pouliot still above Caron on the depth chart? Or am I just missing something?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Pouliot vs. Caron?

I haven't read your post, but I like it!  Death match, winner takes 3rd line wing spot!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

My guess. .. Julien is playing a hunch that Pouliot will be motivated and play well against his old squad. My take - don't know if I've ever seen a Bruin look so erratic as this guy, flailing, falling, tripping over himself. He has been giving a good effort tho.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

One word - Speed

Pouliot can keep up with a fast Hab team.

And it's not like Caron is Crosby or something. He hasn't been vastly outplaying Pouliot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chappy28. Show Chappy28's posts

I guess I would disagree that Caron isn't outplaying Pouliot.  Tough to prove as he has 3 points in 11 games, as opposed to BP's 2 points in 13 games.

Caron just seems so much more poised on the ice.  Pouliot may be faster, but it doesn't make a difference if he's just running around on the ice without ever really making plays.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Caron plays his position with strength and good hockey sense. Pouliot has size and speed, and handles the puck worse than Thornton. He shows zero puck control or hockey sense. Kelly and Peverly are constantly covering for Pouliot's mistakes. When Caron is on with Kelly and Peverly they are dynamic, resourceful, and potentially the best shut down line in the league while chipping in scores. If You noticed, Campbell was on the wing for some of Kelly's recent goals replacing Pouliot. No logic to this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomethingBrewin. Show SomethingBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Pouliot vs. Caron?:
    [QUOTE]I haven't read your post, but I like it!  Death match, winner takes 3rd line wing spot!
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Has to be accompanied by the Triskellian music in that old Star Trek episode.

Four thousand quatloos on p oo p oo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

They should still be in a battle for the playing time.  At this point, Caron is ahead  by my scoring, but neither has truly seized the opportunity.  I think they will be battling for the 13th forward spot come the trading deadline, when PC will have the luxury of upgrading this spot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Caron is stronger on the puck, has better hockey sense and is better defensively.  But, he doesn't have the speed Poohliot does.  That's probably the reason he's in tonight, along with the fact that he's playing against his old team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

flip a coin, both have shown flashes but my guess is that it is up to Caron to outplay Pouliot to take his job away

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

He's basically a Dan Paille that can't play defense. However, given who he is it only makes sense to give him a chance to break out. The Bruins are in a position where they can afford to give a guy like Poulliot a chance, since they are simply dominating everyone they play. No need to rush Caron either, he's 20 years old and will have many good years ahead of him.

However, it did seem as though Caron was really starting to play well right before he was taken out of the lineup...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Caron is stronger on the puck, has better hockey sense and is better defensively.  But, he doesn't have the speed Poohliot does.  That's probably the reason he's in tonight, along with the fact that he's playing against his old team.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]
    Good post Bim. I think you nailed it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Pouliot plays hard, takes the body alot, and falls down alot. The part i don't get is how he got selected 4th overall by the Wild. Huh ??!!?? 4th overall !!? His junior stats aren't anywhere near overwhelming. Strange days indeed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Caron plays his position with strength and good hockey sense. Pouliot has size and speed, and handles the puck worse than Thornton. He shows zero puck control or hockey sense. Kelly and Peverly are constantly covering for Pouliot's mistakes. When Caron is on with Kelly and Peverly they are dynamic, resourceful, and potentially the best shut down line in the league while chipping in scores. If You noticed, Campbell was on the wing for some of Kelly's recent goals replacing Pouliot. No logic to this.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

More playing time for Campbell seems logical to me. He fits in nicely with Peverly and Kelly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I like Pouliot against Montreal... but I could have lived with Caron. I guess I'm neutral.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I'd like to change my answer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Pouliot vs. Caron?:[QUOTE]Pouliot falls down alot.  His junior stats aren't anywhere near overwhelming. Strange days indeed. Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

..."most peculiar momma whoa" and now in Julien's casa de bow wow!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think barring injury to a forward, Pouliet had his last chance & played absolutely beyond stupid. It'll be Caron from here on out.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from s2e42o. Show s2e42o's posts

Ya Im thinking that after 2 bad penalties and a 3rd period benching tonight, this spot is now Caron's to lose . . . I hope.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

Bye, bye Benoit, ole'ole'ole' Greyhound leaves Montreal 8:15am to Boston and transfer @ South Station for Providence. Give you a chance to clean out your locker and pack your gear for your future in the AHL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ingrizzlebizzles. Show ingrizzlebizzles's posts

In Response to Pouliot vs. Caron?:
    [QUOTE]Just noticed that Caron was a healthy scratch for tonights game.  Is it just me, or does this make no sense?  From what I've seen, Pouliot has done nothing to earn the spot while Caron has really been putting his game together as of late. For a team where ice time is generally earned, I see this as being the opposite.  Pouliot was supposed to be our no risk project and the assumption was that if he didn't pull his weight then we could walk away.  Almost a quarter of the way through the season I've seen nothing.  People compare him to Blake Wheeler, but I see Blake Wheeler without the offensive skill.  He's like a chicken with his head cut off out there.  A for effort, C (or worse) for execution -- even his goals are pretty sh1tty.   Meanwhile Caron has been strong on the puck, screening goalies, tipping shots and all the other little things that you want out of him, not to mention a pretty sweet pass on Thornton's recent goal. So....when does the project end?  Why is Pouliot still above Caron on the depth chart? Or am I just missing something?
    Posted by Chappy28[/QUOTE]

You are correct, however we have no idea how Caron will do over a full 82 + playoffs. It's a very good thing to be able to keep him rested and rotate him in, but it appears that Pouliot is not good enough to make it work. Maybe Chris Clark will be a better option. 

I do think they need a body to fill that slot. Mike Grier still available?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

I'm really just hoping that Spooner and/or Knight make the jump next year so that we can end this madness.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

after that performance last nite i doubt you will see much more of Pouliot

Sections
Shortcuts